Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1jc094ch said:
Houston are without their top players/forwards as well. Unless Bruin steps up I think this has 0-0 written all over it. Bruin has been off form lately though.

Bruin hasn't been playing as much since Ruidiaz came on (for the right reasons). Thus probably why he's off form. I'd rather Ruidiaz play than Bruin. Ruidiaz is quicker and more of a threat than Bruin.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2wop6jj4 said:
Seattle will be without Ruidiaz, Svensson, and possibly Lodiero tonight.

Yikes. At least Ozzie, Rodriguez, and Marshall are in there. Depth of the Sounders is better than Dynamo. So there is that. Why aren't the guys named above playing? Is it national team commitments?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawkfan68":319o13hw said:
SeatownJay":319o13hw said:
Seattle will be without Ruidiaz, Svensson, and possibly Lodiero tonight.

Yikes. At least Ozzie, Rodriguez, and Marshall are in there. Depth of the Sounders is better than Dynamo. So there is that. Why aren't the guys named above playing? Is it national team commitments?
Yeah, they were called up for NT duty.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Well, that was something. Seattle now only need a point in their final three games to clinch a playoff spot and are still alive for a 1st round bye.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Sounders scoring in bunches. That's two straight games with 4 goals each. This match was without some of their top players. Nice to see.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good to see V-Rod finally go off a little and be the productive player we need him to be.

Let's cross our fingers he doesn't pull his hammy walking to his car this morning.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Nice win. I love it when Bruin is on form. Heart attack moment when Lodeiro got hurt but he looks to be okay.

We need 1 more point to clinch a play off sport or if LA Galaxy lose any of their games.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/RGonzalezCBS/status ... 3602388993

Please make this happen! Apparently Liga MX has suspended relegation.

If we want to be the best, we have to beat the best. I wonder if they would allow relegation/promotion and if there would be a salary cap.

If anything it would force the badly run franchises to get their crap together, get their hands in their pockets or die.

If it happens, I feel like the Sounders may meet their potential. 40-70,000 at home games with probably sizeable away crowds. In turn not being limited by salary cap, less EPL snobs due to legit quality players and teams in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3f6tf9rq said:
https://twitter.com/RGonzalezCBS/status/1050084983602388993

If we want to be the best, we have to beat the best. I wonder if they would allow relegation/promotion and if there would be a salary cap.

If anything it would force the badly run franchises to get their crap together, get their hands in their pockets or die.

If it happens, I feel like the Sounders may meet their potential. 40-70,000 at home games with probably sizeable away crowds. In turn not being limited by salary cap, less EPL snobs due to legit quality players and teams in the league.

This would be incredible.........and really the only way relegation would work, because the second division clubs in both countries would still have the appeal needed to keep attendance up by playing each other.

I've been against relegation for MLS, because I don't think the smaller clubs would survive with only 5k fans showing up to 2nd division matches for possibly years and years. But this changes the game IMO.

I wonder what Mexican fans think of this idea?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13dqv4xu said:
Glasgow Seahawk":13dqv4xu said:
https://twitter.com/RGonzalezCBS/status/1050084983602388993

This would be incredible.........and really the only way relegation would work, because the second division clubs in both countries would still have the appeal needed to keep attendance up by playing each other.

I've been against relegation for MLS, because I don't think the smaller clubs would survive with only 5k fans showing up to 2nd division matches for possibly years and years. But this changes the game IMO.

I wonder what Mexican fans think of this idea?

I'm guessing its inevitable at some point and the Mexicans will get a crap load of tv money. The Mexicans next biggest target market was expats in the US, and in the NFL/NBA its Mexico.

In Europe its heading towards a closed shop Champions League. Really just a matter to time before the big clubs tell UEFA to do one. Unfortunately being a Celtic fan we're on the outside looking in and other previous giants like Ajax, Porto are on the same boat unless they did a rival Atlantic league. Either that or the Portuguese/Spanish leagues become Iberian, Germany merges with the dutch, Austrian, Belgium etc, England becomes a British league etc.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It wasn't pretty, and Orlando was the better team for the majority of the game, but Seattle wins and are in the playoffs again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1pjo1b87 said:
It wasn't pretty, and Orlando was the better team for the majority of the game, but Seattle wins and are in the playoffs again.

Yeah that 2nd half was brutal, it's like the clubs went into their locker rooms at halftime and switched uniforms.

But no Lodeiro, Smith or Ruidiaz, I'll take it..............clinched playoff spot and have a chance still to get into a first round bye. Pretty damn incredible for where this club was two months ago.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Great job clinching with several key players out! I'm glad its stress free and not coming down to decision day.

Rodriguez is really coming on form, I think he's a 70 minute player then gets gassed but if he can stay productive and healthy it could be important for the play off run.

Lets try and go for the bye now.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sounders win! If they win next Sunday and both FC Dallas and LAFC lose or draw, Seattle will finish 2nd and get a first round bye.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hope we can get the bye week, we're looking a little heavy legged in the second half of games. Any update on Smith?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Atlanta's coach is leaving at the end of the year. Hopefully this disrupts their play off run and gives the Sounders a better chance if we make the final.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Roldan and Frei are under paid. Torres is overpaid this year and likely gone. Waylon Francis is a head scratcher.

Hope we didn't have to pay Wolf Eikrems full salary.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3euoslzf said:
Roldan and Frei are under paid. Torres is overpaid this year and likely gone. Waylon Francis is a head scratcher.

Hope we didn't have to pay Wolf Eikrems full salary.

This is Francis's 7th or 8th year in MLS, so my guess is we have to pay him a veteran salary, even though he's not worth 200k.

Torres is gone, because Kim has shown he's now a better CB anyway. I also think V-Rod is over paid for the amount of time he misses every year due to injury.

I'd love for him to stay, but his salary doesn't warrant his production and availability.