Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

DJrmb

Reaction score
Maulbert":1jy2z6wp said:
West TX Hawk":1jy2z6wp said:
Very exciting news! Hope it’s 2020. Any early ideas or rumors on the team name?

Seattle Sockeye won an informal Seattle Times poll over Seattle Totems.
:34853_doh:

I just can't get on board with that name. I really hope they have someone in the leadership group that hates it as much as me.

What some people aren't thinking about is that this is (hopefully) forever... Sockeye sounds cute and "punny" now but will it in 20 years? Plus what does it say about your franchise and city that we'd choose to name our brand new team after a joke (pun)? The karma on that should be that the team will forever be a joke of a franchise...

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":29iq2wst said:
Maulbert":29iq2wst said:
West TX Hawk":29iq2wst said:

I just can't get on board with that name. I really hope they have someone in the leadership group that hates it as much as me.

What some people aren't thinking about is that this is (hopefully) forever... Sockeye sounds cute and "punny" now but will it in 20 years? Plus what does it say about your franchise and city that we'd choose to name our brand new team after a joke (pun)? The karma on that should be that the team will forever be a joke of a franchise...
The sockeye name has better logo possibilities. The Totems while a better name has more of a bland logo.

Whatever the name I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

The Mariners is kind of a lame name but every one got used to it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":3guhgfg0 said:
Maulbert":3guhgfg0 said:
West TX Hawk":3guhgfg0 said:

I just can't get on board with that name
. I really hope they have someone in the leadership group that hates it as much as me.

I sure can't either..

Ruminator

Reaction score
DJrmb":h64vqfl3 said:
Maulbert":h64vqfl3 said:
West TX Hawk":h64vqfl3 said:

If it has to be a fish, doesn't Steelhead sound better? That would be my vote over Sockeye.

chris98251

Reaction score
sockeye-salmon_thumb.ngsversion.1498441017851.adapt.1900.1.jpg

vs

11e05daf1e26cf7b16db94c50bd7e221

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":3urm8zft said:

Seriously, that octopus isn't very intimidating. You act like there's an obvious difference. There isn't. Also, how is a kracken even vaguely tied to Seattle's culture? At least sockeye salmon have a geographical tie to the PNW.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Maulbert":2h7k9tod said:
chris98251":2h7k9tod said:

Seriously, that octopus isn't very intimidating. You act like there's an obvious difference. There isn't. Also, how is a kracken even vaguely tied to Seattle's culture? At least sockeye salmon have a geographical tie to the PNW.
According to the WSDOT Narrows Bridge Weird Facts web page, one of the world's largest octopus species makes its home in Puget Sound - the Giant Pacific Octopus, which can weigh over 600 pounds. Local legend will tell you that the largest Pacific Octopus in the world lives under the Narrows Bridge.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch....the-narrows-bridge-named-one-of-the5f301f767e

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":3msem05w said:
chris98251":3msem05w said:

Obviously you have no idea, they are intelligent adaptable and can do a lot of amazing things as well are the biggest in the world and are off our coast, not that it's regional or anything, Sockeye spawn here and then migrate. the Octopus lives here.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2kwjs9cp said:
Maulbert":2kwjs9cp said:
chris98251":2kwjs9cp said:

Obviously you have no idea, they are intelligent adaptable and can do a lot of amazing things as well are the biggest in the world and are off our coast, not that it's regional or anything, Sockeye spawn here and then migrate. the Octopus lives here.

I get there are octopus here but the kraken legend is very much an Atlantic ocean origin.

I want sockeye, not keen on Mets (boring and will be confused with baseball), totems is meh.

Chapow

Reaction score
Maulbert":2sjmhpse said:
chris98251":2sjmhpse said:

That salmon isn't very intimidating either. Neither is a Totem. Or a Metropolitan. Or a Red Wing. Or a Flyer. Or a Maple Leaf. Or a Penguin. Etc.

Not sure why some people think team names/logos/mascots should try to be intimidating. It's not like anyone is ever going to be legitimately intimidated by a scary sounding team name or a scary looking logo anyway.