Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":2arznk8k said:
Not sure why some people think team names/logos/mascots should try to be intimidating. It's not like anyone is ever going to be legitimately intimidated by a scary sounding team name or a scary looking logo anyway.

Yep, which is why it's gonna be Totems or Steelheads.

Both regionally appropriate, both have some alliteration next to "Seattle" to sounds cool when they roll off your tongue.

Kraken? Cheesy. Metropolitans? Antiquated. Sockeyes? Lesser of the two fish names vs Steelhead.

I'd put money on Totems.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3uek180o said:
Chapow":3uek180o said:
Not sure why some people think team names/logos/mascots should try to be intimidating. It's not like anyone is ever going to be legitimately intimidated by a scary sounding team name or a scary looking logo anyway.

Both regionally appropriate, both have some alliteration next to "Seattle" to sounds cool when they roll off your tongue.

Kraken? Cheesy. Metropolitans? Antiquated. Sockeyes? Lesser of the two fish names vs Steelhead.

I'd put money on Totems.

So the Seattle Head is fine then with you :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3gx6wszt said:
Sgt. Largent":3gx6wszt said:
Chapow":3gx6wszt said:

I'd put money on Totems.

So the Seattle Head is fine then with you :)

Now we're talking. The mascot on the hockey sweater can be a hooker walking down Aurora.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well if it's the Totems, you know, everyone is going to be waiting for the slip of the tongue for the "the Scrotum's" to be called out.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Can't they just buy the Storm and take the name?All the others are weak for hockey.

Chapow

Reaction score
Anything other than Thunderbirds just doesn't sound right for a Seattle hockey team IMO. It's what I grew up with and it's all I've ever known. I know it's not gonna happen, but to me it's like if we got a basketball team back and named them something other than the Sonics or if the soccer team name got changed from the Sounders to something else when they moved up to MLS.

All of those to me are iconic Seattle team names and anything else just seems wrong and awkward. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to whatever the team name ends up being, but man, just really wish it could be Thunderbirds.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
All these different names/mascots are interesting (and questionable) for different reasons.

First, Totems. Decently unique name. Shares the heritage of this region nicely. Problems: what's the mascot going to be? Could be a problem on a lot of levels nowadays unless it was something dumb like Stumpy the Totem Pole. Pass.

Sockeyes. Another cool(ish) name that shares the heritage of the region. Problems: it's a fish. A game fish known for getting caught and eaten. And cue the endless "jokes" from the announcers. "Seattle really got hooked by _________ this time!" "Seattle really got socked in the eye on that play!" Pass. Steelheads is a harder-sounding name for the same thing. Great logo opportunities for either name, though.

Kraken. Evokes images of Johnny Depp and the Caribbean, personally. Far more Atlantic pirate imagery than the Pacific Northwest. Strong name, though. Still, pass.

Sasquatch. New sort of name for a sports franchise, at least a professional one. Mascot would be awesome. Imagery would be strong. Great ties to heritage. Not crazy about any logo designs that come to mind, though.

Thunderbirds. Okay. Ties to the region. Cool logo opportunities. Pretty powerful. Probably not going to happen.

Metropolitans. Not crazy about the Mets. Very baseball-ish. Terrible, bland logo opportunities. Throwback to the original team, though, which is a cool thing. Weird idea just popped into my head, though: could come out with the franchise as the Metropolitans their inaugural season, with the caveat that they would have a name change in a year. That would give us the cooler, more modern logo and name, but give us an instant throwback jersey, not only back to the original team, but to the very first season of the new team. In thirty years, that would be a fantastic thing to have as a part of the franchise.

In fact, I'd definitely be on board with the team being the Metropolitans the inaugural year, followed by the Steelheads or Sasquatch starting in year two. That, to me, would be the perfect setup for the franchise for the long run.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm not necessarily for or against "Totems". However, I would say that I don't think the mascot matters too much. I mean the Sonics mascot was a Sasquatch, and the Mariners use a moose... So idk if a "Totems" mascot has to be anything specific?

I'm crossing my fingers and really hoping not to have to root for a fish, but I guess if it had to be one Steelhead >>> Sockeye. I'm partially convinced some people just want the fish so they could throw salmon on the ice...

I'd definitely like to see something more tied to the area and the history which is why originally I liked suggestions like the Pilots, Aviators, or Admirals. It's also why I get the push-back on Kraken, because I too see that more of an Atlantic Ocean or Caribbean thing Even though I get the Pacific Octopus ties.

One thing I don't think I've seen yet is something paying tribute to the Klondike gold rush that rapidly increased Seattle into a major city. The Seattle Rush seems like sort of a cool, catchy team name but maybe that's just too similar to the 49ers for people around here to stomach? :lol: :stirthepot:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
DJrmb":1b4xa8j5 said:
I'm not necessarily for or against "Totems". However, I would say that I don't think the mascot matters too much. I mean the Sonics mascot was a Sasquatch, and the Mariners use a moose... So idk if a "Totems" mascot has to be anything specific?

I'm crossing my fingers and really hoping not to have to root for a fish, but I guess if it had to be one Steelhead >>> Sockeye. I'm partially convinced some people just want the fish so they could throw salmon on the ice...

I'd definitely like to see something more tied to the area and the history which is why originally I liked suggestions like the Pilots, Aviators, or Admirals. It's also why I get the push-back on Kraken, because I too see that more of an Atlantic Ocean or Caribbean thing Even though I get the Pacific Octopus ties.

One thing I don't think I've seen yet is something paying tribute to the Klondike gold rush that rapidly increased Seattle and the area. The Seattle Rush seems like sort of a cool, catchy team name but maybe that's just too similar to the 49ers for people around here to stomach? :lol: :stirthepot:

Really, we are worried about offending the 49er fans that live up here? :)

DJrmb

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1qzn6dc4 said:
DJrmb":1qzn6dc4 said:

One thing I don't think I've seen yet is something paying tribute to the Klondike gold rush that rapidly increased Seattle and the area. The Seattle Rush seems like sort of a cool, catchy team name but maybe that's just too similar to the 49ers for people around here to stomach? :lol: :stirthepot:

Really, we are worried about offending the 49er fans that live up here? :)
Nah, I'm more worried about offending Seahawks fans that hate anything to do with 49ers, including having a local team named after a gold rush... :D

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hmm that reminds me didn't the original Seattle burn down?How about the "Seattle Fire"?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":pl45xa11 said:
Weird idea just popped into my head, though: could come out with the franchise as the Metropolitans their inaugural season, with the caveat that they would have a name change in a year. That would give us the cooler, more modern logo and name, but give us an instant throwback jersey, not only back to the original team, but to the very first season of the new team. In thirty years, that would be a fantastic thing to have as a part of the franchise.

In fact, I'd definitely be on board with the team being the Metropolitans the inaugural year, followed by the Steelheads or Sasquatch starting in year two. That, to me, would be the perfect setup for the franchise for the long run.

That is the worst idea in a sea of bad ideas.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
Maulbert":15mvjkdo said:
Seahawk Sailor":15mvjkdo said:
Weird idea just popped into my head, though: could come out with the franchise as the Metropolitans their inaugural season, with the caveat that they would have a name change in a year. That would give us the cooler, more modern logo and name, but give us an instant throwback jersey, not only back to the original team, but to the very first season of the new team. In thirty years, that would be a fantastic thing to have as a part of the franchise.

Why? Lots of franchises have throwback jerseys and logos completely different than their current ones--Colorado Aves/Nordiques, Tennessee Titans/Oilers, Washington Bullets/Wizards, Carolina Hurricanes/Whalers, New Orleans Pelicans/Hornets, Arizona Coyotes/Jets, and (dare I say it... :pukeface: ) Oklahoma City Thunder/Sonics.

Some of the current iterations of logos have no correlation with the cities they're in because they didn't change when they moved--Utah Jazz, L.A. Dodgers, Indianapolis Colts, Los Angeles Lakers, Arizona Cardinals, etc.

This would be taking a throwback name/logo--the Seattle Metropolitans, which isn't very suitable to the city, but which does have the history, and updating it with a current name/logo. This would allow us to hearken back to those original days with our throwbacks, but not be stuck with the name Metropolitans. To me, that's a good thing.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3kk5i173 said:
Maulbert":3kk5i173 said:
Seahawk Sailor":3kk5i173 said:

Why? Lots of franchises have throwback jerseys and logos completely different than their current ones--Colorado Aves/Nordiques, Tennessee Titans/Oilers, Washington Bullets/Wizards, Carolina Hurricanes/Whalers, New Orleans Pelicans/Hornets, Arizona Coyotes/Jets, and (dare I say it... :pukeface: ) Oklahoma City Thunder/Sonics.

Some of the current iterations of logos have no correlation with the cities they're in because they didn't change when they moved--Utah Jazz, L.A. Dodgers, Indianapolis Colts, Los Angeles Lakers, Arizona Cardinals, etc.

This would be taking a throwback name/logo--the Seattle Metropolitans, which isn't very suitable to the city, but which does have the history, and updating it with a current name/logo. This would allow us to hearken back to those original days with our throwbacks, but not be stuck with the name Metropolitans. To me, that's a good thing.

Throwbacks are fine, and if they want, they can throwback to those god-awful Seattle Metropolitans jerseys from 1919. I was referring to your year one name idea. It's terrible. No professional franchise would do that. I completely fouls up the reason for branding. People will buy throwback jerseys, but if they knew a new name was coming in the second year, what idiot would drop $200 on a game authentic jersey with the dumber name on it that didn't win the naming contest?

And Metropolitans will never not be a stupid name.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
Maulbert":lajssxsm said:
Throwbacks are fine, and if they want, they can throwback to those god-awful Seattle Metropolitans jerseys from 1919. I was referring to your year one name idea. It's terrible. No professional franchise would do that. I completely fouls up the reason for branding. People will buy throwback jerseys, but if they knew a new name was coming in the second year, what idiot would drop $200 on a game authentic jersey with the dumber name on it that didn't win the naming contest?

And Metropolitans will never not be a stupid name.

Metropolitans is a terrible name, I agree. But I don't know that you wouldn't have the jersey and merchandise sales if people knew it was going to change. For every one that wouldn't because they'd want to wait for the "real" one, you'd have one that would want that authentic year one jersey because they knew it was unique and wouldn't be the same after. It'd be like owning authentic Seahawks gear with the original logo and the NFC logo rather than the AFC. That'd be awesome down the road.

I mean, probably a simple logo shift with the same name would accomplish the same thing. And probably a better way to go, to be honest, though. I just like tying it in somehow to the original Stanley Cup Champions but without sticking with the Metropolitans name.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The Sea Wolves is still the best idea IMHO. Tell the little rugby team thanks for the name. And what better way to ignite a rivalry, than taking their logo, which has zero to do with their name?

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":2jxebf6q said:
Maulbert":2jxebf6q said:
chris98251":2jxebf6q said:
sockeye-salmon_thumb.ngsversion.1498441017851.adapt.1900.1.jpg

vs

11e05daf1e26cf7b16db94c50bd7e221

Seriously, that octopus isn't very intimidating. You act like there's an obvious difference. There isn't. Also, how is a kracken even vaguely tied to Seattle's culture? At least sockeye salmon have a geographical tie to the PNW.

That salmon isn't very intimidating either. Neither is a Totem. Or a Metropolitan. Or a Red Wing. Or a Flyer. Or a Maple Leaf. Or a Penguin. Etc.

Hence:

Gritty t

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
So what's the deal with the team name? I swear I heard Danny, Dave, and Moore say (only a couple weeks ago) that the Sockeyes has been made official, and this was only a few days after they interviewed Leiweke. I can't find anything to confirm this, and I know what I heard. And I doubt they would report it if it wasn't true. All I know is I really like both the Sockeyes and the Steelheads way more then Kraken. Kraken is terrible. It's Atlantic Ocean origin has nothing to do with the Pacific Northwest, and it's singular. Not a fan of singular team names. Plus, the very first thing that comes to mind when I hear ”Kraken", is Greg Hardy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sockeyes and Steelhead, fish that swim back to die, Kraken a beast that has legendary status and mythical, in this case 8 arms working together to achieve a task. I know that stuff can go over some peoples head but I figure maybe a explanation would help. Not only that is we have the worlds biggest Octopus here in the Pacific.

That and Sockeye to me is like the Cardinals or the Blue Jays a truly threatening species.

In fact maybe we should be called the GoldFinch's it is the State Bird.
amgo213.jpg