Reaction score
mrt144":3m1ir5yv said:
Chapow":3m1ir5yv said:
Maulbert":3m1ir5yv said:
chris98251":3m1ir5yv said:
sockeye-salmon_thumb.ngsversion.1498441017851.adapt.1900.1.jpg

vs

11e05daf1e26cf7b16db94c50bd7e221

Seriously, that octopus isn't very intimidating. You act like there's an obvious difference. There isn't. Also, how is a kracken even vaguely tied to Seattle's culture? At least sockeye salmon have a geographical tie to the PNW.

That salmon isn't very intimidating either. Neither is a Totem. Or a Metropolitan. Or a Red Wing. Or a Flyer. Or a Maple Leaf. Or a Penguin. Etc.

Not sure why some people think team names/logos/mascots should try to be intimidating. It's not like anyone is ever going to be legitimately intimidated by a scary sounding team name or a scary looking logo anyway.

Hence:

Gritty t

....besides, wouldn't it be more humiliating to be blown out by the Gold finches than the Kraken?

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
CPHawk":1nzsm1aj said:
The Sea Wolves is still the best idea IMHO. Tell the little rugby team thanks for the name. And what better way to ignite a rivalry, than taking their logo, which has zero to do with their name?

That "little" rugby team that just won a Championship for their city?

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3e1knoq4 said:
So what's the deal with the team name? I swear I heard Danny, Dave, and Moore say (only a couple weeks ago) that the Sockeyes has been made official, and this was only a few days after they interviewed Leiweke. I can't find anything to confirm this, and I know what I heard. And I doubt they would report it if it wasn't true. All I know is I really like both the Sockeyes and the Steelheads way more then Kraken. Kraken is terrible. It's Atlantic Ocean origin has nothing to do with the Pacific Northwest, and it's singular. Not a fan of singular team names. Plus, the very first thing that comes to mind when I hear ”Kraken", is Greg Hardy.
I don’t think theyve announced anything official yet. Probably just our local sportsradio talking out of their southernmost ends again.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hoc ... -nhl-team/

Fittingly, the final two rounds were nail-biters. It was the Sockeyes that emerged victorious in each, climbing the metaphorical fish ladder to the winner’s pedestal. Sorry, Team #NoFishNames. As for the local ultimate frisbee team of the same moniker? Much respect to the three-time national champs. But we did check the trademark registry, which didn’t return any hits.

The name Totems renewed the argument over appropriating indigenous culture as nicknames and mascots for sports teams. Yet, with its history as a professional Seattle hockey franchise from 1958-75, Totems drew the third-most reader submissions in our call-out and advanced all the way to the finals, receiving the second-most overall votes and upsetting the top-seeded Metropolitans in the Final Four (51%-49%).

Then there were the early ousters. Sasquatch, Freeze, Grunge. And the one first-round upset — a classic 5 over 4, advancing the Steelheads over the mythological Kraken.

All that remains is a full vote at the NHL board of governor’s meetings Dec. 3-4 in Georgia.

If that approval comes, when could the real team name be decided on? “I think it’s probably going to be spring,” NHL Seattle CEO Tod Leiweke told 710 ESPN on Monday. “This isn’t another mathematical decision. This is one of those emotional decisions where everyone has an opinion.”

We focused less on the logo and color scheme than the name, but Leiweke says he knows they are equal parts of a team’s soul. But don’t necessarily expect a traditional blue-green Seattle logo.

“The colors are really important,” Leiweke said. But, citing the Vancouver Canucks, added, “We might be forced to think outside the box a little bit.”

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
If Washington state IT systems worker Pamela Bowerman has her way, Seattle's potential new NHL hockey franchise team won't ever be called the Seattle Sockeyes.

That's because the Seattle Sockeyes hockey team already exists — that is, in Bowerman's own bestselling world of romance novels that are so steamy they'd melt the ice at any hockey rink.

Bowerman, who uses the pen name "Jami Davenport" for her fiction, has filed an application with the U.S Patent and Trademark Office to become the registered owner of the Seattle Sockeyes hockey name.

The writer filed her application on Dec. 21, a few weeks after the NHL invited Seattle's Oak View Group to make a pitch for an NHL expansion franchise.

Bowerman is the second person in the state of Washington to file a trademark application to protect a potential professional hockey team name.

A Microsoft attorney also has moved to trademark the "Seattle Steelheads," another of several names being bandied about as a possible moniker for the region's new NHL hockey franchise.

Attorney Craig Farris filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to trademark the name on Dec. 12, public records show.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... keyes.html

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
KitsapGuy":1shh0sp4 said:
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/sockeyes-or-totems-announcing-the-winner-of-our-unofficial-tournament-to-name-seattles-nhl-team/

All that remains is a full vote at the NHL board of governor’s meetings Dec. 3-4 in Georgia.

If that approval comes, when could the real team name be decided on? “I think it’s probably going to be spring,” NHL Seattle CEO Tod Leiweke told 710 ESPN on Monday. “This isn’t another mathematical decision. This is one of those emotional decisions where everyone has an opinion.”

We focused less on the logo and color scheme than the name, but Leiweke says he knows they are equal parts of a team’s soul. But don’t necessarily expect a traditional blue-green Seattle logo.

“The colors are really important,” Leiweke said. But, citing the Vancouver Canucks, added, “We might be forced to think outside the box a little bit.”

I'd be up for this combination. Looks pretty nice, if they're not going to do the blue and green.

NfOGnTX

grizbob

Reaction score
Couldn't give 2 shits about hockey in Seattle and what their name is.

Am I going to be able to watch the Sonics play again? :roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
grizbob":37bu2sta said:

That's the thing though, without the insane money, power and influence of the Oakview Groups desire to get a pro hockey team, you don't get the chance of getting the Sonics back down the road.

So yes, you should give two shits about hockey, because it's what's going to get you the Sonics back.

grizbob

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2217ldct said:
grizbob":2217ldct said:

That's the thing though, without the insane money, power and influence of the Oakview Groups desire to get a pro hockey team, you don't get the chance of getting the Sonics back down the road.

So yes, you should give two shits about hockey, because it's what's going to get you the Sonics back.

Well OK, what about the Chinooks?

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":pb8oysbn said:
Sockeyes and Steelhead, fish that swim back to die, Kraken a beast that has legendary status and mythical, in this case 8 arms working together to achieve a task. I know that stuff can go over some peoples head but I figure maybe a explanation would help. Not only that is we have the worlds biggest Octopus here in the Pacific.

That and Sockeye to me is like the Cardinals or the Blue Jays a truly threatening species.

In fact maybe we should be called the GoldFinch's it is the State Bird.
amgo213.jpg

Get's my vote! Go birds!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
grizbob":15jf0pa3 said:
Sgt. Largent":15jf0pa3 said:
grizbob":15jf0pa3 said:

Well OK, what about the Chinooks?

Not bad.......but I like the Totems or Steelhead. Can't wait to see what's chosen and color schemes............which will be interesting cause the Canucks kinda have what most of the Seattle teams go with, blues and greens.

KK84

Reaction score
Full BOG vote happening on Tuesday, there's an official viewing party taking place at Henry's Tavern.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1068594438220304384[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5/status/1068605274280222720[/tweet]

Ruminator

Reaction score
Totally fine by me to play on the road for a month or so if that gets Seattle hockey in full swing by 2021. We'll then have slightly more than average home games for the rest of the season. Still seems a little risky -- what if there's a setback in renovations and it isn't ready when they expect it will be? They might say OK you say it'll be ready 4 weeks into the season but we're going to make it 6 or 8 (before you can start hosting home games) just in case. Then that would start to suck.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ruminator":37qe1yq9 said:
Totally fine by me to play on the road for a month or so if that gets Seattle hockey in full swing by 2021. We'll then have slightly more than average home games for the rest of the season. Still seems a little risky -- what if there's a setback in renovations and it isn't ready when they expect it will be? They might say OK you say it'll be ready 4 weeks into the season but we're going to make it 6 or 8 (before you can start hosting home games) just in case. Then that would start to suck.

I think all involved would have a good handle on the arena completion date by the time the NHL season starts to make the call.

I understand that the Knights absolutely killed it their first year, but that's not the norm for a new hockey franchise in it's first year, so I'm not worried about wins and losses the first year...............first month on the road? who cares, gimme hockey!!