Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

Bobblehead

Reaction score
knownone":115vidhi said:
I pretty much agree with most of you.

It seems like the only way to execute this 2-year rebuild while still remaining competitive would be to trade Paxton and some of your higher value guys for prospects while also signing free agents to offset your losses. This probably won't happen because Seattle already has a high payroll and there is a significant risk in adding big money free agents that could have long-term ramifications.

I hope the front office commits one way or the other. If they are gonna blow it up blow it up. If they are gonna try to retool be ready to spend some money in the process as well to replace the guys you move... no more of this halfway in bullcrap.

Well that's the problem, see if you trade stars for prospects, the issue is the prospects arn't ready for Major league for about 5 years...not 2 years. If you do keep certain stars. such as we did with Felix.. the Team waits to develop while your star, or stars are stuck in a rebuild, going nowhere. It's simple..

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":hrc6zv0a said:
knownone":hrc6zv0a said:

It seems like the only way to execute this 2-year rebuild while still remaining competitive would be to trade Paxton and some of your higher value guys for prospects while also signing free agents to offset your losses. This probably won't happen because Seattle already has a high payroll and there is a significant risk in adding big money free agents that could have long-term ramifications.

I hope the front office commits one way or the other. If they are gonna blow it up blow it up. If they are gonna try to retool be ready to spend some money in the process as well to replace the guys you move... no more of this halfway in bullcrap.

Well that's the problem, see if you trade stars for prospects, the issue is the prospects arn't ready for Major league for about 5 years...not 2 years. If you do keep certain stars. such as we did with Felix.. the Team waits to develop while your star, or stars are stuck in a rebuild, going nowhere. It's simple..
The problem is like Sgt and other have said is they will half ass this “rebuild”.
I’d go the full rebuild route with an exception of trading Haniger and Segura.

Everyone else is gone even if that means cutting guys like Felix and Seager if you cannot find anyone to take them via trade.
Problem with that though, is the Mariners won’t eat those large and horrible contracts even though they need to.
It’s a sunk cost.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1kv4aegy said:
Bobblehead":1kv4aegy said:
knownone":1kv4aegy said:

The problem is like Sgt and other have said is they will half ass this “rebuild”.

Everyone else is gone even if that means cutting guys like Felix and Seager if you cannot find anyone to take them via trade.
Problem with that though, is the Mariners won’t eat those large and horrible contracts even though they need to.
It’s a sunk cost.

You can't go full blown rebuild without trading Segura and Hanniger, they are key pieces in getting talent.. Also, it takes 5 years to basically rebuild, during that time, the M's will be awful, and in 5 years Haniger and Segura will either be too costly or untradeable cause of contracts or past their prime.. See what happened with Felix.. kept him around to no avail.. shoujld have traded him when we could have gotten half the RedSox farm system.

knownone

Reaction score
Bobblehead":28beteap said:
knownone":28beteap said:

Agreed. But if the goal is to rebuild the farm system while remaining competitive that is how you'd do it. I'm not saying it's a good strategy by any means, I just don't know how else Dipoto could pull off his 2-year rebuild without the Mariners ending up where they are right now, or worse...

Crizilla

Reaction score
>She also noted that Servais told her the reason she could not sit in on a staff meeting with players to discuss families was "honestly, it's because you're a woman."

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1mi6tv6o said:
Sports Hernia":1mi6tv6o said:
Bobblehead":1mi6tv6o said:
knownone":1mi6tv6o said:

It’s a sunk cost.

You can't go full blown rebuild without trading Segura and Hanniger, they are key pieces in getting talent.. Also, it takes 5 years to basically rebuild, during that time, the M's will be awful, and in 5 years Haniger and Segura will either be too costly or untradeable cause of contracts or past their prime.. See what happened with Felix.. kept him around to no avail.. shoujld have traded him when we could have gotten half the RedSox farm system.

Disagree with the too old part of not trading Haniger and Segura right away.
You trade them after they pad their resume after a couple of years, not year 5.
You sell high not low.

As for Paxton, you wouldn’t have gotten half of Boston’s farm system for him, that’s a pipe dream.
His trade value NOW is its highest, and most of experts say you might get a team’s top prospect and a throw an OK prospect with possibly a JAG (Just Another Guy) thrown in.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Crizilla":3g7l2e5o said:
>She also noted that Servais told her the reason she could not sit in on a staff meeting with players to discuss families was "honestly, it's because you're a woman."

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Sounds more like sour grapes.. we'll see.

Msfann

Reaction score
2_0_6":29z0janf said:
While Zunino was a disaster standing next to the plate, he was a tremendous asset while behind it.
For teams that always failed to make the playoffs.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sounds like the Ms are going into full rebuild mode. They've traded James Paxton to the Yankees.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1064648744384135168[/tweet]

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Oh, good. Trade our best pitcher to one of the best teams in the league. :34853_doh:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/1064650712670396417[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoreyBrockMLB/status/1064650390652633089[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1064651706108010496[/tweet]

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":qbe0mewj said:
Sounds like the Ms are going into full rebuild mode. They've traded James Paxton to the Yankees.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1064648744384135168[/tweet]

Wow. Well they're certainly full rebuild mode now as suspected but man is it still stunning seeing that headline. How do these prospects look? And good luck to Pax in NY. Hope he stays healthy and does well.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I was reading that we got schooled in this trade. Scouts are saying Sheffield probably tops out as a #3 stafter, and some question if he ever will become an MLB starting pitcher with his control problems. The other two guys we got weren’t even top 10 in the Yankees farm system.

I’m all for trading Paxton, but if we do I either want a guy who can play right away and a couple prospects, or a prospect who can be an ace. Seems like we got a bunch of low ceiling guys.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't know if a better offer was out there prospect wise..JS is a lefty which is a plus and the
third guy seems like he may be something if you look at his numbers.
I hate giving the Yankees anything but who usually comes ahead in our trades?
The rebuild is on now and if Pax didn't get hurt so much..I'd be upset with the trade.
Most of us wanted to rebuild from minors up so this had to happen and Pax is not
a young arm anymore.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Rebuild worked mostly good for the As, Braves and Brewers.
"Why not us?"

chris98251

Reaction score
sutz":2fbf14nu said:
Oh, good. Trade our best pitcher to one of the best teams in the league. :34853_doh:

The Mariner way, we are the AAA team for the Yankees and Texans.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I could care less if it is the Yankees. We aren’t in the AL East, I don’t get why people get so caught up with them. We are rebuilding anyways, it’s not like giving them Paxton will put them ahead of us for a World Series. We aren’t going to be a playoff contender for a while.

The issue with this trade isn’t the team we sent him to or the guy we traded away, it is what we got back.