Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Gonzaga BB - 2018-19

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Gonzaga BB - 2018-19
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:01 pm
  • This may be the best squad yet. Just added a much needed back court piece combo guard Geno Crandall. Dude singlehandledly nearly beat Zags back in November taking the game to OT.

Big-time non-conference schedule including the Maui Classic.

Only real question is health of Josh Perkins, but all reports are he'll be ready.

Rui Hachimura, Killian Tillie, Brandon Clarke, Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Kispert -- 7 guys who could each go 20+ any night and also defend.

Pre-season top-3 and unlimited potential.
    Last edited by Hawkstorian on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    * NET Staff *

Re: Gonzaga BB - 2018-19
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 pm
  • I saw one preseason poll having the Zags as the #1 team. They will be great, it will simply come down to whether they can get it done in March. I fully expect them do well in the non conference, dominate (probably go undefeated in the conference), and at least make the Sweet 16.

Zags have simply become Transfer U of the west coast. From Wiltjer to Jonathan Williams, they seem to get one or two great transfers each season.

I full expect Norvell to be their best player next season. I think a lot will come down to Perkins, he is the floor general of that team, and he has a tendency to disappoint. If he can play great all season, they'll be very hard to top.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:08 pm
  • Totally agree on Norvell. Hachimura will get all the hype going into the season but Norvell can flat out light it up. I even think he's the best NBA prospect on the roster.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:21 pm
  • Since when did we decide NWAACC basketball deserved it's own thread?
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Since when did we decide NWAACC basketball deserved it's own thread?

Zags have earned their own threads. Nuff said.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:11 pm
  • Dang you guys already beat me to the punch this year. I have to disagree some on Norvell I think he will be great but Rui is incredible.I expect a huge jump this year and as such he will be top scorer on this team. Brandon Clarke should be huge for us as well. Our frontcourt will be loaded.
    I take that back our whole team will be loaded.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:50 pm
  • Zags will be back to E8 and possibly more. I dont get the hate for a small school. Honestly UW is my least favorite Washington state team but if they are in tournament im rooting for them.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:00 pm
  • Although I don’t follow every move (not a huge BB fan), the Bulldogs have been my favorite since the Stockton days.

Always pull for them in the tournament.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:24 pm
  • Zags looked prety sloppy in exhibition game but I guess thats to be expected. the real news is Gonzaga lost Killian Tillie for 8 weeks or so and Jacob Larsen is gone for the year. We went from a pretty loaded front court to very thin.
    Losing Tillie for all our big non conference schedule really hurts.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:30 am
  • Yeah -- need the frosh big to step up but he didn't really show much in the exhibition game. From all reports he'll be OK.

Crandall looked really good which should take some pressure off the lighting-rod Perkins.
    * NET Staff *

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm
  • The freshman guard Will Foster I think will play tonight. There is some thought he might redshirt but based on the exhibition game Foster is ahead of Ayiyi in the rotation and one of those guys needs to contribute. Foster looked much more ready no reason to make him sit a year.
    * NET Staff *

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:08 pm
  • Greg Foster, and I was surprised as well but Joel Ayayi is still very young.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm
  • Zags score over one hundred again. Lots of offensive firepower. Lacking in size underneath, they will be exposed against better competition. They need Tillie back to compete against the top teams coming up but alas he is gone for all the big games. Even Jacob Larsen could have helped.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:50 am
  • Texas Southern was no slouch -- they played stronger than the final score would indicate but just couldn't get to the basket often enough. Was mildly surprised Gonzaga topped 100 despite many missed shots in the first half. Clarke was a bad-ass and I look forward to watching him all season. Perkins' style sometimes reminds me of Gary Payton. How long is Tillie out?

Edit: Tillie is out 7 weeks according to http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/n ... thumps-te/
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 am
  • Gonzaga/Duke in Maui seems pretty likely.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 pm
  • Signing Day today --- top 5 class by most rankings. Two of the top in state players, one national 4-5star guy and another international star and probably going to add another player.

Hate on Gonzaga if you still want to, but this is a top 10 national program by any reasonable analysis and will be a final 4 contender as long as Mark Few still continues to coach.

And frankly, there's plenty of reason to believe it continues long after that.
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am
  • Maui Invitational starts today! CBB is my favorite sport, will be sitting back and watching most the games. Zags got a nice draw as they will avoid Auburn and Duke until the finals. Most people will see Arizona and think they are a great team, but they aren't. This isn't your usual Arizona team. They are rebuilding, they are probably a fringe NCAA tournament team this season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:22 pm
  • I agree I think it will be Gonzaga/Iowa State in the 2nd round which will be tough. I hate to say it but with their lack of depth right now they are over ranked at #3. Hard to see them winning 3 games in 3 days with a 7 man rotation.
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:41 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:I agree I think it will be Gonzaga/Iowa State in the 2nd round which will be tough. I hate to say it but with their lack of depth right now they are over ranked at #3. Hard to see them winning 3 games in 3 days with a 7 man rotation.

Good point. We'll see!
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:05 pm
  • Great game. Kispert almost lost them the game. He had the uncalled for turnover and then fouled the guy, then I think next time down he put Hachimura in a terrible spot which led to a turnover. Few was smart to pull him. Little guy on Illinois can play

I say this all the time, but if Zags play in a power conference they probably lose a handful of games each season, but so do all the great teams. Illinois is picked near last in the Big 10, but big difference between power conference players and guys from the WCC. I actually think Zags will have an easier time with Arizona tomorrow. Brad Underwood is such a great coach, there is a reason why Oklahoma St got him and then Illinois was able to get him a season later. Some great games from this tourney, would be awesome to go one. If UW decides to play in it, I may have to go.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 pm
  • Congrats on the Zags earning their right to play both Duke and UNC this year.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:09 am
  • Going to be an epic game tomorrow. Rui against Zion is going to be worth the price of admission.

I still think Norvell is the Zags best player. When Gonzaga needs a bucket, he is their guy.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:05 pm
  • Up by 2 45 seconds left. This game may kill me.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:11 pm
  • Zags defense tightened up at the end, but that free throw shooting.... woof. Good win, though. Watch the Zags go to #1 next week.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:29 pm
  • This counts as a mini title. Defeated #1 Duke on a neutral court. So that's a win against UNC (refs) and Duke in the past few seasons. Gonzaga has cemented their program towards the top in the nation. No more questions asked.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:40 pm
  • What an awesome win for the program -- and still missing Killian Tillie who will be back in time to steamroll the WCC.

It would be nice to see some backcourt depth step up. Crandall has been meh so far. Perkins and Norvell either one of those guys goes down it would be disastrous.

What a fun team to watch right now.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:49 pm
  • I am stunned we pulled off that win. Perkins needed to play without his normal 2 to 3 unforced turnovers and he not only did that but ran our offense to perfection. Rui is the best player on this team and its pretty obvious. Thankfully we got hot Norvell not 0 for 8 Norvell. Clark is an incredible defender and a huge huge addition to this team.

Great game by all involved and we didn't even have one of our top players to boot.

I think this may be our best non tourney win. Any other games come to anyones mind?
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 pm
  • I remember they got to number 1 a few years back but that was due to others losing in stronger conferences and Zags running the table in the WCC. I felt at the time that the number next to their name wasn't their true ranking. This however, is legit. The best Zags team I have seen in my time watching them. They are a bonafide national championship contender and worthy of the 1 next to their name. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    billyberu
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 pm
  • Zags win first game after moving up to number one in the polls in an easy one against NDSU. Starters all on the bench midway through second half.
    Big test on the road at Creighton who just beat 15th ranked Clemson. I believe Creighton beat Villanova at home when they were ranked number one last year.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:17 am
  • Thoughts on first NET rankings (the newest version of RPI that the selection committee will rely on come March)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:00 am
  • It's hard for really anyone to have thoughts on it. There's no transparency or context of any sort. Loyola-Marymount is #11. They're undefeated and look to be a much improved team this year but their only "big" win was against Georgetown who isn't great this year.

Not that KenPom makes much sense to me either, but at least I have some confidence that he's put real effort into his rankings and if I wanted to dig deeper I could.
    * NET Staff *

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:It's hard for really anyone to have thoughts on it. There's no transparency or context of any sort. Loyola-Marymount is #11. They're undefeated and look to be a much improved team this year but their only "big" win was against Georgetown who isn't great this year.

Not that KenPom makes much sense to me either, but at least I have some confidence that he's put real effort into his rankings and if I wanted to dig deeper I could.

Kentucky is 61 with just one loss. Michigan state is 4 places above a team they lost to with the same record. Zaga is 6th. Its a really muddled order.

There is context though. The math involved is out on its site. Its prwtty interesting. Probably not worth judging for a few weeks yet. But not a strong first showing
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:23 pm
  • Not sure why they put it out. Way too early to judge it. It does not rank teams at the start of the year. So essentially everyone starts at zero. which is exactly as it should be. Right now there is not enough data to work with. It would be like polling 50 people and extrapolating that out for the entire U.S.

Give it a couple months and it will be a lot clearer picture if it is broken or not. If you look back at the early RPI numbers it gave out they were extremely wonky rankings too. Any numbers based system will until it has a decent amount of data to work with.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:28 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:Zags win first game after moving up to number one in the polls in an easy one against NDSU. Starters all on the bench midway through second half.
    Big test on the road at Creighton who just beat 15th ranked Clemson. I believe Creighton beat Villanova at home when they were ranked number one last year.

Creighton is actually not a great team. They are picked close to last in the Big East. While they did beat Nova last season, they lost their two best players from last season.

Creighton is a really tough place to play. Think it will be a close game but Zags will find a way to win. They are falling behind as of now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:41 pm
  • Shoot, Gonzaga is almost everything you want in a college team, and reaching the Final Four in March is almost a given. Creighton knew they were playing a powerhouse and did everything they could to make it a contest. Had their shooting accuracy not inexplicably gone into the toilet as it did in the fourth quarter, the finish may have actually been a lot scarier. For being an unranked team, to me, it didn't feel any less "easy" for the Zags than the match-up vs. Duke was. Norvell Jr. making timely shots, Clarke draining those free throws, and all the Zags staying calm in the final minutes, was a nice way to end it.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:50 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Zags win first game after moving up to number one in the polls in an easy one against NDSU. Starters all on the bench midway through second half.

Creighton is actually not a great team. They are picked close to last in the Big East. While they did beat Nova last season, they lost their two best players from last season.

Creighton is a really tough place to play. Think it will be a close game but Zags will find a way to win. They are falling behind as of now.

Don't care where they were picked to finish in the Big East thats a good team that can shoot the lights out. They also are currently receiving votes in AP top 25. Great win for the Zags in a hostile environment.
    That was a fun game to watch too. You don't get to watch 2 high scoring efficient offenses in college often. You could tell the Zags got tired legs late in the second half as our bench is really thin right now. UW up next on Wednesday night.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:32 pm
  • Zags are a great team. I honestly think they are the best team in the nation. Usually the AP rankings mean nothing, but I'd probably take them on a neutral court against any team. Lets see where Duke is at in a few months, but Zags have the talent and experience. The other team that could give them a game is Nevada. The average age on that team is like 23 and they are loaded with talent, but still think Zags would beat them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:34 pm
  • Duke will only get better as the year goes on. Kansas doesn't scare me a whole lot. Neveda is decent but they are not exactly offensive juggernauts.
    Michigan is looking really good, I think they are a top 5 team.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 pm
  • Huskies played well and gave the Zags a game. Nice job by them. I never really felt all that threatened but they closed the gap right there at the end with some head scratching possessions by the Zags.
    I think Tillie would have made a big difference in this type of game facing a 2 3 zone. Clarke was off and missed a bunch of gimmes underneath and just generally looked out of sorts. Credit to the Husky D for that. Rui was clutch and hit the game winner. He is really really good.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:00 am
  • 19-19 from free throws. Without that it's a different outcome.
    * NET Staff *

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 am
  • That was a fight! Except for the foul-o-rama, Husky's D is as good if not better than Zags'. They were plenty physical, and they also benefited enormously from an uncanny percentage of shots made, at least it seemed to me. A 13-point lead is really not much against a confident team like the Huskies who have the ability to quickly narrow the deficit. Credit Huskies in successfully keeping the Zags from feeling comfortable for much of the game.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:58 am
  • I take solace in the fact that the Zags aren't capable of beating us without having to go to Japan to bring in a ringer.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:35 am
  • I take solace in the fact that the Zags have better recruiters.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:32 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:I take solace in the fact that the Zags aren't capable of beating us without having to go to Japan to bring in a ringer.

Lol and remind me again what the huskies have done in like the last 20 years ??? No title games, a sweet loss to uconn... That's the programs biggest accomplishment ..... Good stuff .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information