Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30a1b7qp said:
West TX Hawk":30a1b7qp said:
Edwin Encarnacion traded to Seattle for Santana. Encarnacion, 35, has 1 year, $20 mil left with a $25 mil club option for '20 or $5 mil buyout. Could be a good trade deadline piece. 3 team trade with Rays, M's also receive a compensatory pick.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mariners/sta ... gr%5Etweet
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.co ... s.amp.html

So Santana for a 2nd/3rd round pick and whatever prospects Encarnacion brings next week, which might be to the Rays already.

Plus the salary dump.

Not bad

My thoughts too. I like the comp pick angle and better financial fit. And it begs the question if Jerry will flip Encarnacion now or at the deadline. Hopefully he gets 2 prospects for him which will make the Segura deal more solid.

Atradees

Reaction score
Somebody call Dipoto. I want Sonny Gray. Badly.

How do we get him and what would we give up?

Imagine penciling Gray and Sheffield into our starting rotation.........

.while Paxton gets rocked in that cheat of a stadium.

I can only hope they give Paxton a huge contract before the wheels fall off there.

M's fans know Gray pitches great here in Seattle.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Atradees":2hhlpvnt said:
Somebody call Dipoto. I want Sonny Gray. Badly.

How do we get him and what would we give up?

Imagine penciling Gray and Sheffield into our starting rotation.........

.while Paxton gets rocked in that cheat of a stadium.

I can only hope they give Paxton a huge contract before the wheels fall off there.

M's fans know Gray pitches great here in Seattle.
That would be a good get IMHO. He will be a FA in 2020.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't know about Sonny Gray, he was pretty awful last season. I think there are better gets than Gray, especially if we want to build this team for a few years later. Gray is going to be well into his 30's by the time we can compete. I'm also not a Gray believer, I just think he's best days are behind him. Much rather develop prospects or get younger people on the team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":doiar0i4 said:
I don't know about Sonny Gray, he was pretty awful last season. I think there are better gets than Gray, especially if we want to build this team for a few years later. Gray is going to be well into his 30's by the time we can compete. I'm also not a Gray believer, I just think he's best days are behind him. Much rather develop prospects or get younger people on the team.

Exactly.

If he was a free agent sure, buy low and hope hes a trade deadline asset. But the Ms are not going to give assets away for a player that wont be an asset in 2020..

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather start from scratch on pitching until we are ready to sign one or two to compete
for a title otherwise it will just be a waste..The same way wasn't working for years.
95=2001 are the only years the M's didn't really piss me off so the odds are not in
our favor that they won't find a way to keep doing so.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1rt42k3m said:
I'd rather start from scratch on pitching until we are ready to sign one or two to compete
for a title otherwise it will just be a waste..The same way wasn't working for years.
95=2001 are the only years the M's didn't really piss me off so the odds are not in
our favor that they won't find a way to keep doing so.
I hear ya Bud!
If I wasn’t such a fan of the game, I would have dropped the M’s along time ago as gawd knows the ownerships and front offices over the years have pretty much done nothing but piss me off. Used to go to 20-25 games a year, now I’m lucky if I go to one game every couple of years and it’s usually after a family member or friend has to con me into it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Gamel gone..Traded for someone I never heard of but the stats on him show
a glimmer of hope..Sorry no imfo since nobody cares. :lol:

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1jnuo3ad said:
Gamel gone..Traded for someone I never heard of but the stats on him show
a glimmer of hope..Sorry no imfo since nobody cares. :lol:

Write up in the Times.

Seattle is sending outfielder Ben Gamel and minor league pitcher Noah Zavolas to the Brewers.

With Nelson Cruz gone via free agency and recently acquired slugger Edwin Encarnacion expected to be traded at some point in the final year remaining on his contract, the Mariners have added a young right-handed hitter with power potential who is under club control through 2021 to provide depth to their roster.

Early Friday evening, the Mariners finalized a trade for outfielder Domingo Santana of the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for outfielder Ben Gamel and minor-league pitcher Noah Zavolas.

“Santana was one of the most productive outfielders in baseball in 2017,” general manager Jerry Dipoto said in a statement. “He did not have the same opportunities last year, but his age and power bat from the right side make him a very good fit for our club moving forward.”

After a monster season in 2017, where he posted a .278/.371/.505 slash line with 29 doubles, 30 homers and 85 RBI, Santana, now 26, lost playing time in 2018 when the Brewers signed free agent Lorenzo Cain and traded for Christian Yelich. Cain had an All-Star season while Yelich was named the National League MVP.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... e-brewers/

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Decent trade. High ceiling for a high floor, plus more club control.

Atradees

Reaction score
We have some pop in the outfeild. Smith, Santana, Bruce and Haniger. The infield is all coming back. Except shortstop and DH. Santana was real good in the playoffs at DH.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Atradees":1lzzv2bm said:
We have some pop in the outfeild. Smith, Santana, Bruce and Haniger. The infield is all coming back. Except shortstop and DH. Santana was real good in the playoffs at DH.

For your peace of mind, please do not have any hope for a competitive team-Everyone will be traded by the deadline and we'll lose 106 games the next 2 years as we have a AAA rotation and AA bullpen. It's 2021 playoffs or Jerry and his gang are fired and we'll start this process all over again for another decade.

Atradees

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":49cys5ds said:
Atradees":49cys5ds said:

Everyone will be traded by the deadline and we'll lose 106 games the next 2 years as we have a AAA rotation and AA bullpen. It's 2021 playoffs or Jerry and his gang are fired and we'll start this process all over again for another decade.
No, The glass is half full.

I regret they didnt resign Cruz.

This is why we need some pitching. Sonny Grey would be a good rebound player with smaller salary.

No Dipoto has made miracle trades ditching Canos monster contract. Santana was a solid trade. The new pieces have

promise. Before Dipoto is done maybe he sheads every dollar of that 120 Million.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Atradees":mmmd1vxq said:
West TX Hawk":mmmd1vxq said:
Atradees":mmmd1vxq said:

Everyone will be traded by the deadline and we'll lose 106 games the next 2 years as we have a AAA rotation and AA bullpen. It's 2021 playoffs or Jerry and his gang are fired and we'll start this process all over again for another decade.

This is why we need some pitching. Sonny Grey would be a good rebound player with smaller salary.

No Dipoto has made miracle trades ditching Canos monster contract. Santana was a solid trade. The new pieces have

promise. Before Dipoto is done maybe he sheads every dollar of that 120 Million.

While I agree that Santana is a good pickup and it was good of Jerry dumping Cano and acquiring some other nice pieces, this is without a doubt a tear-down and anyone over 27 who's doing well will be traded by the deadline. A Sonny Gray signing would be only for having him effective in our pitching friendly park so we could flip him at the deadline too. We need many more prospects at all positions to restock the farm and any FA signing or trade we make has that goal in mind.

If Marco Gonzales is the best pitcher on your 40 man roster, you have a long ways to go. It's all about the future and this tanking formula will make or break Jerry and the whole organization.

Atradees

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2hvqgzdd said:
Atradees":2hvqgzdd said:
West TX Hawk":2hvqgzdd said:
Atradees":2hvqgzdd said:

While I agree that Santana is a good pickup and it was good of Jerry dumping Cano and acquiring some other nice pieces, this is without a doubt a tear-down and anyone over 27 who's doing well will be traded by the deadline. A Sonny Gray signing would be only for having him effective in our pitching friendly park so we could flip him at the deadline too. We need many more prospects at all positions to restock the farm and any FA signing or trade we make has that goal in mind.

If Marco Gonzales is the best pitcher on your 40 man roster, you have a long ways to go. It's all about the future and this tanking formula will make or break Jerry and the whole organization.

Its true. We do need pitching. It will make or break him. Dipoto is the news in MLB right now.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Atradees":2nj0pxxl said:
Its true. We do need pitching. It will make or break him. Dipoto is the news in MLB right now.[/quote]

I hope for the best but have little to no faith in the Mariners org.

I still watch many games but with no interest in them winning.

We shall see - in a couple of years.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
This organization has let me down so many times it has become the norm. All I can say is that they must hate Félix and want him to play his whole career without out ever seeing the playoffs. Set him free so he doesn’t have to be apart of the suckfest that will be the next 2 seasons.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3gpxhrm0 said:
This organization has let me down so many times it has become the norm. All I can say is that they must hate Félix and want him to play his whole career without out ever seeing the playoffs. Set him free so he doesn’t have to be apart of the suckfest that will be the next 2 seasons.
Sadly he is part of the reason for the “current” suckfest. His lost his fastball which is below average now. M’s wasted his prime years with no offense, which was a horrible waste of his talent.

getnasty

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":33cg7lpi said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/1079935343107817473[/tweet]

And in a week they will trade him for a prospect.