UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The men's team is ranked #25 going into the season. Hop has them way ahead of schedule. First game of the season is this Tuesday.

They beat #7 Nevada in a scrimmage a couple weeks ago without Dickerson. Although, yesterday they really struggled against SPU in an exhibition game.

This season is tournament or bust for me. Some people have picked UW to win the conference, so I expect them to at least compete for the conference title and make the NCAA tourney.

This may be the best Seattle sports team of the major teams in the city.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Not going to make a new thread, so i'll kind of just make this the pac 12 basketball thread. Manute's kid, Bol Bol is going to be fun to watch this year. 7'2", drilling turn around 3 point jumpers.

Ducks will be great in the paint. Probably the best shot blocking team in the country. A little bit worried about guard play.

[youtube]1yNgTgmSyDg[/youtube]

DJrmb

Reaction score
Should be a fun season with everyone returning and the added depth. I thought last year depth was their biggest hurdle.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Well, Hop and the boys got the win. They didn't look like world beaters for a lot of the game but the depth sure showed up on defense. The announcer explained it best I think when he said the Huskies have to get out of the mindset of "Hero ball" when they go into droughts. Guys have to stop chucking up 3's and fall-away jumpers, and get into the paint when the offense stalls at times.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
W. Kentucky was a tough match up for the opener that was a good win.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Western Kentucky is more than a solid team, they will likely win their conference and be in the NCAA tournament.

Big game tonight against Auburn, we likely lose as they are the better team and we have to travel all the way across the country.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Nice start to the season, they got what should be an easy game against A&M tomorrow, and then a solid opponent in Minnesota on Wednesday.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Not sure how the huskies are doing, but the ducks are god awful. Altman has all of a sudden turned into Romar, getting top level recruits but not having a clue how to build a team or create chemistry.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Are the dawggies gonna get a ranking boost out of being tied with the #1 team in the country with .6 seconds to go?

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3cml1uc0 said:
Are the dawggies gonna get a ranking boost out of being tied with the #1 team in the country with .6 seconds to go?

Yes. College basketball has done away with RPI and uses a new NET ranking system. UW moved from 61 to 44 in NET after the loss to Gonzaga. Definitely a resume builder for UW.

Zags are the much better team, but UW played a great game. Hopkins is such a great coach, one of the few coaches that can take a weaker team, go on the road, and nearly beat the best team in the nation. He did it last year against #1 ranked Kansas.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hopkins looks like he actually has a vision for his team and knows how to implement it. Something that cannot be said for Romar. I used to enjoy following Husky basketball before they canceled with GU and plummeted to irrelevance.

I believe they made a good hire. Its also interesting that of all the teams Few has played against Syracuse seems to have his number. Maybe that factored into that hire. Or maybe not.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Huskies played well against the Zags considering they had most of their front line players in foul trouble (Dickerson and Wright fouled out in the end). However, David Crisp is a liability on the floor. The dude bricks 3 pointers and layups at an equal rate. He's awful offensively.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":5jx2e7jd said:
Lords of Scythia":5jx2e7jd said:

Yes. College basketball has done away with RPI and uses a new NET ranking system. UW moved from 61 to 44 in NET after the loss to Gonzaga. Definitely a resume builder for UW.

Zags are the much better team, but UW played a great game. Hopkins is such a great coach, one of the few coaches that can take a weaker team, go on the road, and nearly beat the best team in the nation. He did it last year against #1 ranked Kansas.
Thanks. They probably lost ground crapping the bed against Seatlle (which happens to be a beautiful campus in my neighborhood), though. They could blew them out by 30.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Kentucky's Quade Green had decided to transfer to UW. He was a 5-star PG, will be a huge upgrade over Crisp when he becomes eligible. There is some confusion on when and how many years of eligibility he will have. Sounds like either 1.5 years or 2.5 years depending if he redshirts for a season. Either way, huge get by Hop.

Still working on getting both McDaniels and Steart, both are top 10 prospects. If we can get both, I think this team can go to a final four. If we can get one, I think we likely make the tourney. If we get neither, probably another season as a bubble team. This is all assuming Nowell comes back, which I expect him to.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Huskies off to a nice 2-0 start in conference play. Think there is a great chance they can win the Pac-12 this season.

Word is that Isaiah Stewart is likely coming to UW, would be a huge get. Top 10 recruit for next season, above the rim PF. Now lets just hope they land McDaniels. It would basically be adding three 5-star kids for next season.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
People are sleeping on the Husky basketball team. Hop is building something special. I always find myself surprised by how little following the basketball team gets. The Stewart signing is huge, but most anyone following the situation had an idea he was coming to UW since last week. Now time to get McDaniels.

If they do get McDaniels, national championship is a realistic expectation for this team.