UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

DJrmb

Reaction score
Do you think that Nowell would stay around another year to play with those guys? Or is he gone after this season no matter what?

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
DJrmb":37281se5 said:
Do you think that Nowell would stay around another year to play with those guys? Or is he gone after this season no matter what?

I think Nowell stays. He is yet to show up on draft boards, if he does decide to declare, he will be a 2nd round guy. Great college player, but doesn't have the size or athleticism to play the SG in the NBA. If he wants to play in the NBA, he will need to be a PG. I feel pretty confident about Nowell being here at least one more season.

Also think there is a much better shot at us getting McDaniels. Stewart is going hard after him along with the coaches and players. I believe McDaniels is also close with Quade Green who just transferred to UW from Kentucky, the other school that McDaniels is considering.

I think Stewart is only the second top 10 players to come to UW (Fultz the other), but to have two in the same class, that would be amazing. UW has never had an issue getting talent, but we've also never had a coach like Hop before.

DJrmb

Reaction score
It's kind of ironic because I remember quite a few people (myself included sadly) wanting to hold onto Romar to keep that class he had coming in with MPJ. What a disaster that would have been. Now they're in position to possibly land an even better class than that one with 2 top 10 guys and a former 5-star transfer. All that with a much better coach, and much better depth / healthier program.

D

DomeHawk

Need a good win today to break into the top-25 rankings.

IT'S GREAT TO BE A HUSKY!

Crizilla

Reaction score
DJrmb":14rsi0ks said:
It's kind of ironic because I remember quite a few people (myself included sadly) wanting to hold onto Romar to keep that class he had coming in with MPJ. What a disaster that would have been. Now they're in position to possibly land an even better class than that one with 2 top 10 guys and a former 5-star transfer. All that with a much better coach, and much better depth / healthier program.

I don't understand why anyone would want Romar around still. He had plenty of time to turn things around. He can't coach defense. Never has, probably never will. Constantly got outcoached against other big schools. With Hopkins we are actually seeing the team play defense for once, and his background with Syracuse is helping UW land nice recruits. Perimeter shooting still an issue at times with this team but the defense is there .

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
A lot of people wanted Romar to stay, but was only because of the recruiting class. Hop is a really great coach, I honestly think he is one of the best coaches in the nation. IMO, Altman has been the best coach in the Pac for several years, I think Hop will challenge him for best coach in the conference.

I think it's the first 7-0 start since the 52-53 season. A lot of that has to do with how bad the conference is, but still impressive. Two road sweeps in college basketball is far from easy.

UW has always had talent, but never had great coaching to go with the talent. We get to see both of those with Hop now.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1ayihqs3 said:
A lot of people wanted Romar to stay, but was only because of the recruiting class. Hop is a really great coach, I honestly think he is one of the best coaches in the nation. IMO, Altman has been the best coach in the Pac for several years, I think Hop will challenge him for best coach in the conference.

I think it's the first 7-0 start since the 52-53 season. A lot of that has to do with how bad the conference is, but still impressive. Two road sweeps in college basketball is far from easy.

UW has always had talent, but never had great coaching to go with the talent. We get to see both of those with Hop now.
I’ve been impressed with coach Hop so far. ...and the guy so far looks like a great recruiter.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Crizilla":178elket said:
DJrmb":178elket said:

I don't understand why anyone would want Romar around still. He had plenty of time to turn things around. He can't coach defense. Never has, probably never will. Constantly got outcoached against other big schools. With Hopkins we are actually seeing the team play defense for once, and his background with Syracuse is helping UW land nice recruits. Perimeter shooting still an issue at times with this team but the defense is there .

I don't still want Romar around, I don't think anyone has or will say that... What I said was at the time I wanted to keep Romar to take a shot at a final 4 run with that top recruiting class. At the time I didn't think we'd ever see a recruiting class that good again at UW. My opinion ended up being wrong which I was admitting to in my post. I know that's not very common here on .net (people able to admit they were wrong), so I won't hold it against you for missing it. :lol:

I am fully on board with Coach Hop now and loving the zone D. Husky basketball has a very bright future!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So how many wins do the Huskies likely need to make the big tournament? 8-0 currently

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
There really isn't a set amount of wins they need to get to, but it is all about the resume. NCAA created the quadrant system last year, and now they have done away with RPI and added NET. The link below explains NET as well as the quadrant system.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ll-ranking

Here is a brief summary of our resume, which has improved a lot since the conference schedule has started.

Record: 17-4 (8-0 in conference)
NET: 29
RPI: 21
SOS: 52
Quadrant 1: 0-4
Quadrant 2: 5-0
Quadrant 3: 6-0
Quadrant 4: 6-0

Just a few days ago we had two quadrant 1 wins, but both Oregon schools moved outside the top 75 of the NET rankings. The Minnesota loss really hurt, as we should have won that game if not for a missed travel call. We played our best competition early in the season, but played our worst ball then. The conference is really down, likely only a 1 or 2 bid league. Possibly a 3 bid league if there is an upset in the conference tourney. I fully expect us to make the NCAA tourney. If we can beat both the Arizona teams next week, we can go undefeated in conference. I think splitting against them would be fine too. Should be a fun game tomorrow, lets get another win.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
A sloppy win at times but it was never really in doubt.
Looks like coach Hop was a “money” hire! :2thumbs:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KSeattleWeather/status/1099545317186256896[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/1099544266974494720[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/komonewsradio/status/1099543251059503105[/tweet]

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This team is flying under the radar. People will start paying attention once March comes around. This is probably the best sports team in Seattle this year, and they get little to no recognition. Just look at this board, Mariners offseason thread has like 5 pages, and that franchise is awful.

This team could go far in the NCAA tournament, possibly getting further than Romar ever took them. Hop is building a hoops powerhouse out West. Awesome that UW hoops and football are both Pac-12 champions.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":113bkmgp said:
This team is flying under the radar. People will start paying attention once March comes around. This is probably the best sports team in Seattle this year, and they get little to no recognition. Just look at this board, Mariners offseason thread has like 5 pages, and that franchise is awful.

This team could go far in the NCAA tournament, possibly getting further than Romar ever took them. Hop is building a hoops powerhouse out West. Awesome that UW hoops and football are both Pac-12 champions.

It's crazy they aren't ranked

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22nrgb3d said:
Hawk-Lock":22nrgb3d said:

It's crazy they aren't ranked
It is, but I like it when the local teams are overlooked. The element of surprise can be huge in catching opponent team s sleeping, see the Gonzaga team they almost beat earlier in the year at the zags house.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Are they legitly good? Or do they look good because the Pac12 is so terrible?

(this is not a trying to bash on UW question, i havnt watched a single minute of them play, so im genuinely curious.)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are legit good, it's a bummer that the Pac-12 is down, but they can only play who is front of them. They also almost beat Gonzaga. It's ridiculous they are not ranked though. Just my own opinion, but assuming they make the tourney, they should be a 7-9 seed, right in that area.

Latest posts