About damn time.

Threedee

Reaction score
Edgar was always my favorite Mariner. Even though, as a lefty, it was cool to have Griffey and Randy to root for, they still never caught my fandom the way that Edgar did. His elevated batting stance was always fun to imitate/exaggerate as a kid (although, I used to see kids run into the wall making a catch when told to "imitate Griffey").

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With all due respect to our beloved Hawks winning the SB, Edgar's double down the left field line IS the greatest sports moment in Seattle sports history IMO.

For a city beaten down and starving for success for decades, that one hit washed away all the pain and suffering we had endured as sports fans with one swing..........and it was done by one of the nicest, most humble hard working players we could ever root for.

Well deserved honor for Edgar, can't wait for his induction.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fea3nor said:
With all due respect to our beloved Hawks winning the SB, Edgar's double down the left field line IS the greatest sports moment in Seattle sports history IMO.

For a city beaten down and starving for success for decades, that one hit washed away all the pain and suffering we had endured as sports fans with one swing..........and it was done by one of the nicest, most humble hard working players we could ever root for.

You forgot the 1979 Sonics..Had to go there..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2rnvoip8 said:
Sgt. Largent":2rnvoip8 said:

I'm sure for people over the age of 55-60 the Sonics winning the title might be the greatest moment........but for the rest of us that had to live through the Seattle sports misery of the 80's and early 90's, especially with how terrible the M's were, 1995 was a special time.

I was at the tiebreaker game against the Angels, it's still the singular loudest environment I've ever been in after Luis Sojo's broken bat base clearing single to put the game away and send us into the playoffs. That magic feeling carried all the way through the playoffs, being on pins and needles with every pitch and at bat.........culminating with Edgar's double.

Still gives me shivers just writing about it. I did feel very similar when the Hawk's won the SB, but there was no "one moment" of that game like Edgar's double.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2358njis said:
IndyHawk":2358njis said:
Sgt. Largent":2358njis said:

I'm sure for people over the age of 55-60 the Sonics winning the title might be the greatest moment........but for the rest of us that had to live through the Seattle sports misery of the 80's and early 90's, especially with how terrible the M's were, 1995 was a special time.

I was at the tiebreaker game against the Angels, it's still the singular loudest environment I've ever been in after Luis Sojo's broken bat base clearing single to put the game away and send us into the playoffs. That magic feeling carried all the way through the playoffs, being on pins and needles with every pitch and at bat.........culminating with Edgar's double.

Still gives me shivers just writing about it. I did feel very similar when the Hawk's won the SB, but there was no "one moment" of that game like Edgar's double.

We did nothing in 95... How is making the playoffs better then winning a title ? That's crazy logic...

sutz

Reaction score
If the M's had gone on to and won the Series, Edgar would have been voted in 5 years ago.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3vtazhkm said:
Sgt. Largent":3vtazhkm said:
IndyHawk":3vtazhkm said:
Sgt. Largent":3vtazhkm said:

We did nothing in 95... How is making the playoffs better then winning a title ? That's crazy logic...

Because I'm talking about singular moment, not overall success.........and did nothing? That's crazy, it was the first time in a sad sack perennial loser franchise that we won anything, that also btw kept baseball in Seattle. If not for that crazy come from behind year, winning that tie breaker and beating the Yankees in epic fashion, no way in hell there's any positive momentum to get Safeco built.

We did nothing, Jesus.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
We used to talk about losing the '83 AFCCG as the "glory years' of Seahawks football. We made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years and won 3 games, never going to the big one. Now we understand what winning REALLY is. The '80s were fun, but the 2010s have been a FRIGGIN' BLAST even with recent disappointments.

So yeah, the Mariners had some fun years, but have really accomplished nothing unless you call "continuing to exist" an accomplishment. Despite some of the great players and teams they've had, the Mariners as a franchise are historically a complete embarrassment.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nx44p71 said:
IndyHawk":2nx44p71 said:
Sgt. Largent":2nx44p71 said:

Im 49..50 tommorow lol
I was 10 yrs old watching all of our teams,,It was the greatest moment till the Hawks won..
95 was awesome in its own way..I jumped into the ceiling on Edgars hit..
Safeco is the house that Griffey built(my thought)but yeah 95 secured the M's.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":38bd71z2 said:
Sgt. Largent":38bd71z2 said:
IndyHawk":38bd71z2 said:
Sgt. Largent":38bd71z2 said:

Im 49..50 tommorow lol
I was 10 yrs old watching all of our teams,,It was the greatest moment till the Hawks won..

I'll also be 50 this year, and I do remember watching the Sonics win at a neighbor kid's house. But it didn't resonate as something spectacular. It was fun, but nothing compared to the Hawks or 95 M's.

Also different time, sports was more detached back then. The game was on, and then you had to wait until the paper the next day to even read about it, or stay up until 11 to watch the news. Now it's wall to wall coverage, you can't get away from it.

Definitely plays into the life and death............or "thrill of victory and agony of defeat" part of sports now that IMO is more widely felt.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gdwoii2 said:
IndyHawk":2gdwoii2 said:
Sgt. Largent":2gdwoii2 said:
IndyHawk":2gdwoii2 said:

Im 49..50 tommorow lol

I'll also be 50 this year, and I do remember watching the Sonics win at a neighbor kid's house. But it didn't resonate as something spectacular. It was fun, but nothing compared to the Hawks or 95 M's.

Also different time, sports was more detached back then. The game was on, and then you had to wait until the paper the next day to even read about it, or stay up until 11 to watch the news. Now it's wall to wall coverage, you can't get away from it.

Definitely plays into the life and death............or "thrill of victory and agony of defeat" part of sports now that IMO is more widely felt.
I’m in your age bracket, though I’m very immature for my age :)
You make some excellent points about the media coverage then and now.

I was at the game where Largent “decleated” Hardin, after living thru that wonderful event, we couldn’t wait to get home and the news to come. Now, it would be on YouTube and ESPN 15 minutes after it happened, accessible by this thing called your cell phone. I couldn’t have imagined this technology would be so widely available back then.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1e0yb8tm said:
sutz":1e0yb8tm said:
If the M's had gone on to and won the Series, Edgar would have been voted in 5 years ago.
Or played for the NYY or Redsox.
Instead, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the first M's HoFer that played his entire career in Seattle. Yes?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3bgigz0r said:
Sports Hernia":3bgigz0r said:
sutz":3bgigz0r said:
Or played for the NYY or Redsox.
Instead, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the first M's HoFer that played his entire career in Seattle. Yes?
You are correct.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3scl7r8m said:
We used to talk about losing the '83 AFCCG as the "glory years' of Seahawks football. We made the playoffs 4 times in 6 years and won 3 games, never going to the big one. Now we understand what winning REALLY is. The '80s were fun, but the 2010s have been a FRIGGIN' BLAST even with recent disappointments.

So yeah, the Mariners had some fun years, but have really accomplished nothing unless you call "continuing to exist" an accomplishment. Despite some of the great players and teams they traded them too where they had long term success they've had, the Mariners as a franchise are historically a complete embarrassment.

There fixed it :)

Remember we were the rest of the leagues AAAA club for decades.