Bracketology

HawkGA

Reaction score
It feels like we are getting close to tournament time, but looking at the calendar we actually have quite a ways to go. There will probably be quite a bit of movement in the brackets between now and mid-March, but here is a bracketology projection. It's from ESPN, there are others out there, of course. ESPN tends to have my preferred team, Marquette, lower than other projections but based on history even ESPN is probably over-estimating what seeding they'll actually get.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Another update. This one has the Huskies as a #8, my Golden Eagles as a #3, Gonzaga as a #2. Any other teams of interest? Alabama is in there as an #11.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

The #1 seeds are interesting in terms of location. With Duke, Virginia, and Tennessee each getting one seeds, they kind of get thrown around in terms of region. Tennessee ends up in the Midwest (probably makes the most sense), but Duke ends up in the East and Virginia is put in the South.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty early for bracketology, but I find myself constantly looking to see where people have UW.

Your Marquette team is really good. The Big East is really down, and they’ll have a chance at winning that conference.
Markus Howard and Jaylen Nowell might be the two best guards in college basketball.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I have found other than the Dwayne Wade year, they generally under-perform but hopefully this year will be different. Last year they were okay and probably would have made the tourney but they had a skid of a few games they dropped. Hopefully they can avoid that this year.

In the Big East it's pretty much Marquette and Villanova by a mile in the conference. So they pretty much have a top 2 finish locked up at a minimum.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I was at the NCAA tourney game between UW and Marquette when Quincy Pondexter hit the game winning shot.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags a 1 seed in the west. Assuming they win out I don't think they lose that spot.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The way they're rolling the WCC right now I don't see how they lose a game.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags will either be a #1 or a #2 seed. ACC will likely get two #1's in Duke and Virginia. Tennessee will likely get another #1 seed. That leaves one spot between Gonzaga, Kentucky or one of the Big10 teams. With the way Michigan St is trending, don't see them getting it. I think it will either be Michigan, Kentucky or Gonzaga for that last #1 seed.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Apparently my Golden Eagles can't beat St. Johns, but they did beat Villanova so that's a good thing. I would guess barring a meltdown they are likely to get a #3 seed. They've got at Villanova left on their schedule as their only real threat game, but given they got swept by St. Johns there's always the possibility they drop another one and end up as a #4 seed.

Looks like the Huskies are moving up a bit. I think the last ESPN projection had them as a #7 seed.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
My Golden Eagles decided to tank at the end of the season. So sad to see.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
HawkGA":3c1ejz7j said:
My Golden Eagles decided to tank at the end of the season. So sad to see.
Yeah, they have really struggled. Any reason why?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah weird end to the season for Marquette, although I do think they get back on track and beat GTown and then make a deep run in the Big East tourney. The end to that Seton Hall game was weird, Marquette went cold as ice down the stretch. Markus Howard might be the best bucket getter in college basketball, but Myles Powell isn't far behind him. He put on a show in that game. I think your Golden Eagles are looking at about a 4 seed as of now.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Another bad loss for Marquette. Could have been a foul called at the end on the loose ball rebound but refs chose not to call it. Howard really struggled for most of that game.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Watched the game as well. Marquette had their chances to win that game. I did not think a foul was warranted after the missed free throw. That wasn't over the back and after that it was just a loose ball.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wow, I had posted before they lost again today. Last year they had a stretch in roughly mid-season where they lost several games. Cost them a spot in the tourney. They'll still make the tourney this year but I won't be surprised to see them as a 5 seed when they could have been a 3 seed pushing for a 2. Such a let down.

I don't follow closely enough to know what's gone wrong these last two weeks but hopefully they can get the ship righted and make a good run. As I mentioned before, all I really want is for them to end up in a bracket with Gonzaga so I can see the two teams play.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It's Selection Sunday. Here are some of the final projections.

ESPN: East #8 Washington vs. #9 Seton Hall. Midwest #11 Oregon vs. #6 Mississippi State. South #11 Arizona State vs #11 St. John's in a play-in game.
CBS: South #11 Washington vs.#6 Nevada. East #11 Oregon vs. #6 Marquette. Midwest #11 Arizona State vs. #11 St. John's in a play-in game.
NBC: South #10 Washington vs. #7 Buffalo. Midwest #11 Oregon vs. #6 Auburn. East #11 Arizona State vs #11 St. John's in a play-in game.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
My Golden Eagles have fallen so hard to end the season. Heard that Howard has a wrist injury and maybe that's part of it. Hopefully a bit more rest for a week or so will get him right.

Just a couple of hours to go, but I'm thinking a 6 seed is very likely. So far down from the borderline 2 seed they were looking at 2 or 3 weeks ago.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ducks are a 12 seed and play Wisconsin. Anybody know anything about the badgers? I know they usually have a lot of white guys.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":28f2si18 said:
Ducks are a 12 seed and play Wisconsin. Anybody know anything about the badgers? I know they usually have a lot of white guys.

They have a signature win over Michigan earlier in the season but other than that they haven't done that much. Could be a good match up for Oregon.

UDub's loss actually turned out to be a good thing for the Pac with three teams in the dance. I am hoping that the Pac, yes, even Oregon, can win something to stop all this Pac-12 bashing.