Mariners 2018/19 offseason thread...

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9k1ewasf said:
DJrmb":9k1ewasf said:
Uncle Si":9k1ewasf said:
63 million...
I think what Indy was referring to was the remaining 97 million after those guys you mentioned. Who is all that money going to? Cano must be a big chunk of that...

Sportrac has the Ms salary at 140 mill, including 5 mill to Cano.

Poster on lookout landing has a spreadsheet that has it 168 million (current 40 man roster). so a disconnect somewhere

Edit: Sportrac doesnt have a lot of new player salaries listed
Exactly ..TY
:2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Interesting rebuild...

Shed big player contracts yet add salary, assets and draft capital.

Might be genius. 2 years wait

Atradees

Reaction score
flipping Cano was a thing of genius.....doubt many guys could have done that. As soon as hernandez, Encarcion and bruce are off the books it looks a lot better. By then we should have a new third baseman and a better farm and better decisions.
the Ironic part is i think Bruce and Encarcion will bridge a gap because they can ball.

Just dont tell me Hernandez has to be in the lineup. His form is shot and has lost all confidence....the fiveth pitcher has to be better than a trainwreck as well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hopefully bruce and EE can be flipped by deadline for more assets.

Would be great to move Seager on as well.. would probably have to pay salary but could maybe squeeze something in return from it as well

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yes Felix is done..I agree with Si on Bruce and EE flip..
KS can go as well..I don't care much how that goes.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Spring training preview:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... oria-ariz/

Even if the Mariners are in the midst of a “step-back” season, the current conditions outside make it a little easier to think about warm Arizona days in the sun for spring training.

With pitchers and catchers scheduled to report Monday to Peoria, Ariz., here are five things to watch this spring:

What is Edwin Encarnacion’s Mariners future?
As of these words being typed, Edwin Encarnacion is still a member of the Mariners. That could change before position players report Friday or perhaps some time during spring training.

The expectation for people around baseball and for Encarnacion was that the Mariners would trade him after acquiring him in the offseason. Sources indicated the Mariners even made their intention of flipping Encarnacion known to him. It seemed like a decent plan. With the Twins, Rays and Astros all showing interest in signing former Mariners designated hitter Nelson Cruz, the Mariners figured they could trade Encarnacion to one of the two teams that were unable to sign Cruz. They knew they’d have to eat a sizable portion of the $25 million owed to Encarnacion in 2019, but it seemed worth it for a decent prospect or even a compensatory draft pick.

More at link.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Atradees":3khangge said:
dieing for mariners news.......Call me a sucker if you want. I like the possibilities....
Mallex Smith hurt his shoulder throwing too much in the offseason, he’ll keep hitting but stop throwing for a bit.

Atradees

Reaction score
Well I hope thats not a sign of things to come with him.. we are pretty well stocked on paper with outfeilders. In recent times we have had some lame combos out there. I am real excited about the new bees.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I expect us to have a top 3 pick after this season.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Can’t believe this thread has five pages, but the offseason thread will be more exciting than the season thread.

Atradees

Reaction score
honestly, you guys are acting like we had a playoff team the last 5 years. As if trading Zunino, Paxton, Segura, Cano and Diaz sinks a great ship. Paxton was injured annually. Cano you know, Zunino was a black hole in the batters box. Im just saying...........Cruz will be missed. For many games he was the only offense. Its not hard for me to see us being just as competitive as we have been. The starting rotation was not steller last year but we have something to build on.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Atradees":2tca2xd9 said:
honestly, you guys are acting like we had a playoff team the last 5 years. As if trading Zunino, Paxton, Segura, Cano and Diaz sinks a great ship. Paxton was injured annually. Cano you know, Zunino was a black hole in the batters box. Im just saying...........Cruz will be missed. For many games he was the only offense. Its not hard for me to see us being just as competitive as we have been. The starting rotation was not steller last year but we have something to build on.
I would like to see them finish the tear down by cutting, dumping, or trading Felix and Seager even if it means eating those contracts.

Atradees

Reaction score
Seager slimed down to 130 lbs so now he will bat better. ??? Still some huge contracts......you would have to hope for some kind of rebounding to improve value. Though its Felix last year....it is 27 million. Maybe the MLB has started feel the effects of these guaranteed deals....

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Been watching some M's coverage this weekend. Lot of guys I never heard of, of course. :)

According to Servais, YK is scheduled to start his first game Monday. Probably get an inning or so. Maybe 30-40 pitches. They say they're going to take it easy with the kid. Had some pretty impressive numbers in Japan, so we'll see.

Image l
Yusei Kikuchi

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Atradees":24zcmf5x said:
Seager slimed down to 130 lbs so now he will bat better. ??? Still some huge contracts......you would have to hope for some kind of rebounding to improve value. Though its Felix last year....it is 27 million. Maybe the MLB has started feel the effects of these guaranteed deals....
They were saying Kyle had a toe injury last season. But like you say, a bit of a prove it year. A lot of fans still like him, I guess. Would be nice to see him step up.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Theres no way he weighs 130 pounds. 230?

Either way, if he can start hitting he will vastly improve his trade value by Summer. Which would be grear

Atradees

Reaction score
felix lasted a whole inning today...........like a 27 era just like his contract.

Yusei was an awesome get. Kyle has looked good this spring. Long homered.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anyone get to see the new Japanese kid today? How was he.. his delivery from what I"ve seen is just nasty.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3jbq0k8u said:
Anyone get to see the new Japanese kid today? How was he.. his delivery from what I"ve seen is just nasty.
Decent outing. 2 innings complete/29 pitches/1K/1BB/ a hit or two.

1st inning was solid. Line out to right, K'd Votto :) , then covered 1st on a grounder to Healy. Gave up two runs, unearned per the scorer. Total 12 pitches IIRC.

2d inning a bit rockier, but got out of it with no additional runs. Has an interesting wind up and delivery. Has the standard hesitation in there like most Japanese pitcher. Has a bit of a double leg kick, too. Hides the ball really well, drops it down behind his leg through most of his motion. FB was hitting low to mid 90's. Slider needs some work, not a lot of snap on it.

Looked promising.

Game will replay at 9:00 on ROOT.