Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:19 pm
  • Definitely a letdown game yesterday, but credit to Cal, they shot the ball very well. That was probably the best game they've played all season.

The loss probably moves them from a 7 seed to about a 9 seed. They're not on the bubble yet, but one more loss in their final three regular season games and there could be some nerves when they head to Vegas.

As of now, the only team with a chance at an at large bid is UW and ASU, with ASU being very much on the bubble, especially after their loss to Oregon yesterday. I think four more wins gets them in without question. Three wins and they are still probably in, but would be flirting with the bubble. I fully expect the team to bounce back and win their last three games of the season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 pm

• - The No. 25-ranked Washington Huskies fell to the California Golden Bears 76-73 on the road Thursday night but still clinched their first conference championship since 2012 thanks to losses by Oregon State and Arizona State.

The Huskies (22-6, 13-2) had won 15 of 16 games coming into the matchup while the Bears (6-22, 1-15) had lost 16 straight games overall.

David Crisp scored 32 points to lead the Huskies, but missed a potential game-tying 3-pointer at the buzzer to set off a rare celebration at Haas Pavilion.

Jaylen Nowell added 22 points for the Huskies.

"We didn't respect the game," Crisp said. "We didn't respect our opponent. We just expected we would come out and win the game. Obviously, you're never going to win basketball games like that."
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm
  • Losing to Cal is an inexcusable loss. UW seems to be sputtering down the stretch with a couple very fortunate close calls going their way. Time will tell if its the wake up call they need or a team tailing off down the stretch.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:51 pm
  • Watched a good chunk of the WSU-Cal game, and Cal hilariously notched their second Pac12 win. But wow, that was one of the ugliest, sloppiest, mistake-prone games I've seen in some time.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:41 pm
  • The huskies are really playing poor basketball right now. Very sloppy leading to turnovers and horrible shot selection. When you have Hameir Wright chucking up 3 pointers, it’s not a good sign. They better right the ship soon.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:32 am
  • Yeah, big win yesterday, but they are playing pretty sloppy overall. I still think it's a good reality check that they can fix. We shall see, can't wait to see them in the tourney regardless.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:35 am
  • Are the Huskies a lock for the tournament yet? Would a loss to Oregon screw them or could they still make it with that?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Are the Huskies a lock for the tournament yet? Would a loss to Oregon screw them or could they still make it with that?

I'd think they have to be pretty close to a lock at this point. I guess if they lose to Oregon and then lose in the first round of the pac 12 tournament they might get a little nervous, but i think they're in. They definitely have enough wins that they should be a lock, the problem is not a whole lot of quality wins due to how bad the conference is.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am
  • Great game last night. They need to hit those free throws and not be so sloppy on offense. Defensively they are damn good. But, they look lost on offense. Solid possessions in OT, but overall, they just really lack offensively. They had plenty of chances to put this game away, but they don't seem to have an offense that can pull away.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:34 am
  • I think UW needs to win against Oregon and at least have win one in the tournament. Remember SMC last year went 28-5 and had no bad losses like UW does this year (Cal) and they did not get an invite. They have less wins a bad loss and no significant wins to hang their hat on. They lose to Oregon and in tourney right off the bat and they have plenty to worry about.
    Not sure whats going on but UW is not playing real well right now and they barely avoided a crippling loss last night.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:34 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Not sure whats going on but UW is not playing real well right now and they barely avoided a crippling loss last night.

Agreed. I'm pretty concerned at this point.

In their last 3 games they have struggled and lost to a terrible Cal team, struggled and were lucky to barely escape against a mediocre (at best) Stanford team, and struggled but finally won in OT against a mediocre Oregon State team.

It's one thing to have an off night, that happens to everyone. But this is 3 games in a row. The committee doesn't like to see these kinds of struggles this time of year. They better have a strong performance against Oregon on Saturday and in the PAC-12 tourney or I could definitely see them being left out.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:51 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Not sure whats going on but UW is not playing real well right now and they barely avoided a crippling loss last night.

In their last 3 games they have struggled and lost to a terrible Cal team, struggled and were lucky to barely escape against a mediocre (at best) Stanford team, and struggled but finally won in OT against a mediocre Oregon State team.

It's one thing to have an off night, that happens to everyone. But this is 3 games in a row. The committee doesn't like to see these kinds of struggles this time of year. They better have a strong performance against Oregon on Saturday and in the PAC-12 tourney or I could definitely see them being left out.

The Huskies are not being left out.

Theyre a 9/10 seed right now.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:14 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Cal shot lights out, UW looked tired and like they took them lightly to be honest. Good reality check for this team imo. Learn from it and get it rollin again.

And that's the gist of it. Basketball is like baseball, vastly inferior teams can win one game if they get hot. That is why championships are a series of games in those sports or at least should be.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:36 am
  • Not sure why people are so down on the Huskies. The Cal loss was bad. We didn't play well against Stanford, but road conference games aren't easy. All I want is the win on the road. Don't care how pretty it is. It's like when the Seahawks have to play an inferior Cardinals or Niners team on the road. Those games will always be closer than you think. History has shown that we play Oregon State close. I think they said three of the last nine meetings with them have gone to OT.

We are far from the bubble. We were a 9 seed in most projected brackets after the Cal loss. We've won two games since then, we are probably sitting around an 8 seed as of now. The last bubble teams are 12 seeds, that's roughly 20 teams between us and the bubble. Here is a quick comparison of our resume to some bubble teams. NET is the new tool the selection committee uses that has basically replaced RPI. For reference, our NET fell 4 spots after our loss to Cal. Even if we lost our next two games, which is unlikely, our NET would probably fall no more than 8 spots, which would still keep our NET in the high 30's to low 40's. Teams on the bubble have NET's in the 50's. People forget just how weak the bubble is, most of the bubble teams are under .500 in conference and have much worst numbers than Washington.

UW : 24-6 (15-2 in conference)
    NET: 33
    RPI: 20
    Quad 1: 2-4
    Quad 2: 6-1
    Quad 3: 10-0
    Quad 4: 6-1

Lundardi has Alabama as one of his last four in and Creighton as one of his first four out.

Alabama: 17-13 (8-9 in conference)
    NET: 55
    RPI: 56
    Quad 1: 3-8
    Quad 2: 6-3
    Quad 3: 5-2
    Quad 4: 3-0

Creighton: 16-13 (8-9 in conference)
    NET: 53
    RPI: 54
    Quad 1: 3-10
    Quad 2: 6-3
    Quad 3: 4-0
    Quad 4: 3-0
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 am
  • If there is one thing I could change its having sub .500 teams in conference being selected in the tournament. If you can't even reach .500 you don't belong there period.
    In the last 20 years less and less lower conference teams are selected by the committee and more and more putrid teams from the power 6 get in.
    The most important thing is who you play and not winning
    If you have played a lot of high RPI/NET teams all you have to do is win a couple at home and walla you negate all your losses and all the wins by mid major teams.

I would select UW this year but I do think they are not playing their best ball right now. There have been many worthy teams left out in the recent past (SMC who went 28-5 for one) that get pushed out so they can squeeze one more P6 team in there who has proven all year long they do not belong.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:25 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:If there is one thing I could change its having sub .500 teams in conference being selected in the tournament. If you can't even reach .500 you don't belong there period.

^^^^Yep
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:48 am
  • For what its worth CBS has UW on the bubble for all the same reasons I mentioned earlier.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:11 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:For what its worth CBS has UW on the bubble for all the same reasons I mentioned earlier.

Jerry Palm has them as a 10 seed, which is close to the bubble, but not on the bubble. Lunardi has them as an 8 seed, which is far from the bubble. I think they are closer to an 8 than a 10, but we'll see. A lot depends on what other teams do between now and next Sunday.

The bubble is really soft this year, particularly because the Pac-12, Big East, Mountain West and other conferences are so down. Need to hope there are no huge upsets on the conference tourney's, need to hope there are a lot of at large bids.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:19 am
  • I definitely think very weak bubble teams this year helps UW. They beat Oregon and I don't think they have anything to worry about. If they lose I think they do.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:21 pm
  • The loss to Cal moved to a quad 3 loss which is huge. They've won three in a row and their NET is now 233, if they can keep their NET under 241, it will stay as a quad 3 loss. That could be big when the committee looks and Washington's resume. Not many teams have quad 4 losses, but a lot have quad 3 losses. I still think UW only needs one more win the rest of the season, tonight would help take the pressure off them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 pm
  • Ive not seen a bracket that doesn't have them from 7-10... certainly nothing that says bubble.

Cbs has them as a 10 seed AND on the bubble

Not trying to jinx it but they seem fine.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:34 pm
  • Huskies have 6 points after 11 minutes of play. There is something wrong with this team right now.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:43 pm
  • Maybe i jinxed it
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:45 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Huskies have 6 points after 11 minutes of play. There is something wrong with this team right now.

Ducks have managed to blow several big leads this season.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:46 pm
  • Their offense is absolute drek right now. 8 points in 16 minutes. :pukeface:
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:08 pm
  • The Huskies look terrible offensively. Scoring 47 is really an eye sore. They have no good wins to hang their hats on and have a terrible loss.

I don't get why anyone would be confident this team gets selected if they don't win the tournament.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:13 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Not sure whats going on but UW is not playing real well right now and they barely avoided a crippling loss last night.

The Huskies are not being left out.

Theyre a 9/10 seed right now.

How about now?

The way they're playing right now they could easily be one and done in the Pac-12 tourney.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:21 pm
  • You got me... but im not on the selection committee... amazing how self defeating a few of you want to be about this.

They were a 9/10 seed before tonight. Is this the loss that kicks them out?

Maybe... not rooting for it though
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:27 pm
  • As we stand today I think they’re pretty safely in. However, if they somehow manage to lose their opening pac12 tourney game, which would be another loss to a pretty bad team, then things get interesting. I’d like to see a scenario where Washington wins a game or two but Oregon ultimately wins the tourney so the pac can get 2 teams in.

Arizona state also is a bubble team and has a chance, I can’t root for them though because Bobby Hurley whines and cry’s more than any coach not named Doc Rivers.

That said, I don’t think anyone from the pac has much chance of surviving past the first weekend of the big tourney.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:38 pm
  • And he played for Duke... as an ASU alum i still cant latch onto that team.

Beat UofA tonight though. I think theyre getting close to securing an invite
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:50 am
  • Pac12 tourney is set. UW, ASU, Utah and OSU have the first round byes. Washington will play the winner of USC/Arizona on Thursday at noon. Oregon plays WSU in the first round at 8:30 PM Wednesday, the winner of that game will play Utah.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:40 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:And he played for Duke... as an ASU alum i still cant latch onto that team.

Beat UofA tonight though. I think theyre getting close to securing an invite

ASU has clearly been the second best team in the Pac this year.

Anything can happen in the tourney though, the end of the season sees a ton of parity in the Pac-12.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:46 pm
  • Hopefully they play inspiring ball as they were earlier in the season. Because as of late, they have been playing extremely poor - t like a team unworthy of playing in the tournament.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:10 am
  • How many coaches can take a team from last in the conference to first in the conference in just two seasons? Not many. Also Nowell won Pac-12 POY and Thybulle won Pac-12 DPOY. Congrats to all of them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 am
  • Great job by Hopkins and a well deserved award. Congrats to Nowell and Thybull as well. Now they need to go out and win that Pac 12 Tournament!
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 am
  • UW offense off to a nice start in game 1 for the Huskies.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm
  • Wow, that was a fun game to watch. USC with the bone head turnover at the end there to seal it.
    UW really started out well from three and it really opened up their offense.
    Night and day difference from the Oregon game. Dickerson is really struggling lately.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Wow, that was a fun game to watch. USC with the bone head turnover at the end there to seal it.
    UW really started out well from three and it really opened up their offense.
    Night and day difference from the Oregon game. Dickerson is really struggling lately.

We have to find a way to get Noah involved if we are going to do anything.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 pm
  • What a game! Back and forth from tip until the final buzzer.

I thought both teams played really great basketball. That's about as well as we can play on offense with the exception of Dickerson having an off game. The team plays so much better when they get contributions from Naz and Green. Seems like if we can get about 20 combined points from them we are very tough to beat.

Colorado is up big on Oregon State, looks like we will play them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:46 pm
  • Ducks and Huskies heading for a championship showdown?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:56 am
  • Dear God can they just hit some damn free throws? And the offense is so sloppy. Zero discipline and they look lost on offense, game after game. Fired up they pulled it off, but that O is really hard to watch.
    That being said, that dunk...……...holy crap
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Ducks and Huskies heading for a championship showdown?

Probably, and the ducks are looking like they finally have hit their stride. Oregon lost its best player this year but they still underachieved with those great recruiting classes. Altman seems to have a flair for finishing strong though.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 am
  • If I had to pick a team to win right now it would definitely be Oregon. Not saying the Huskies couldn't win but Dickerson really struggled against them and the whole offense would need to be dependent on the three ball. Not a proposition I would hang my hat on.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:11 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:If I had to pick a team to win right now it would definitely be Oregon. Not saying the Huskies couldn't win but Dickerson really struggled against them and the whole offense would need to be dependent on the three ball. Not a proposition I would hang my hat on.

I end to agree with you, and the Huskies don't really have anything to play for, they are in. Ducks, on the other hand, are hoping that a Pac-12 Tourney title will get them in. They have everything to play for.

Going into the tourney many publications were listing the Huskies as on the bubble. That seemed like BS to me that a power-5 conference champion wouldn't get a bid but the east coast bias is a real thing, especially in basketball.

I really think there should be at least two bids from the Pac.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:If I had to pick a team to win right now it would definitely be Oregon. Not saying the Huskies couldn't win but Dickerson really struggled against them and the whole offense would need to be dependent on the three ball. Not a proposition I would hang my hat on.

I end to agree with you, and the Huskies don't really have anything to play for, they are in. Ducks, on the other hand, are hoping that a Pac-12 Tourney title will get them in. They have everything to play for.

Going into the tourney many publications were listing the Huskies as on the bubble. That seemed like BS to me that a power-5 conference champion wouldn't get a bid but the east coast bias is a real thing, especially in basketball.

We all know its happened before so I don't know why you wouldn't think it could happen again(pac 12 team placing first but not getting bid). I do think they are in at this point but remember if Oregon wins that bumps someone out and there are a couple more tournaments that could cost teams bids.
    Huskies have plenty to play for and I highly doubt they don't come out giving every last ounce of effort they have. I think they have a huge advantage with Oregon playing their fourth game in 4 days plus over time last night.
    Thats just not something they are used to doing and I think that one less game is going to be huge for UW. I actually think they win tonight. Oregon may come out on top first half but I think UW pulls away in the end.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:If I had to pick a team to win right now it would definitely be Oregon. Not saying the Huskies couldn't win but Dickerson really struggled against them and the whole offense would need to be dependent on the three ball. Not a proposition I would hang my hat on.

We all know its happened before so I don't know why you wouldn't think it could happen again(pac 12 team placing first but not getting bid). I do think they are in at this point but remember if Oregon wins that bumps someone out and there are a couple more tournaments that could cost teams bids.
    Huskies have plenty to play for and I highly doubt they don't come out giving every last ounce of effort they have. I think they have a huge advantage with Oregon playing their fourth game in 4 days plus over time last night.
    Thats just not something they are used to doing and I think that one less game is going to be huge for UW. I actually think they win tonight. Oregon may come out on top first half but I think UW pulls away in the end.

Every single site I have seen today has UW as a lock and I am not seeing Oregon as even a bubble. This game is NOT for the Pac-12 championship, it is for the Pac-12 Tournament Championship that is quite different than the football championship where the best teams from the north and south play for the actual championship. I guess a win here could possibly move us up a notch in seeding but I'm even skeptical of that, everyone seems to have us at a #8 seeding.

Over on the duck site they posted an article by one of their own writers that the winner of this game is the only one in the NCAA tourney, that is complete BS.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ch-bracket
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:33 pm
  • Regardless, I think that late night overtime game plus playing a 4th game in 4 nights will really work in UW's favor. I think they win tonight.
    Oregon has really turned it on of late though. I would bet they win the NIT should they play in it and should they win I would not be surprised if they made the sweet sixteen.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Regardless, I think that late night overtime game plus playing a 4th game in 4 nights will really work in UW's favor. I think they win tonight.
    Oregon has really turned it on of late though. I would bet they win the NIT should they play in it and should they win I would not be surprised if they made the sweet sixteen.

Oregon definitely seems like the hot team right now and if they win tonight they get an automatic berth that would make two teams from the Pac in the tourney.

Having said all that, I don't have a lot of optimism they (UW) go far in the tourney, the offensive sets are just terrible too often.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Regardless, I think that late night overtime game plus playing a 4th game in 4 nights will really work in UW's favor. I think they win tonight.

Oregon definitely seems like the hot team right now and if they win tonight they get an automatic berth that would make two teams from the Pac in the tourney.

Having said all that, I don't have a lot of optimism they (UW) go far in the tourney, the offensive sets are just terrible too often.

UW is a tough team to play against if you have never faced them. I think they win at least one if not more depending on match ups of course.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information