UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No need to discuss who wants this game more, both teams want to win. Forget about the bid dance, this is the championship game, and these teams are rivals. UW can probably move up to a 7 seed with a win tonight, nobody wants to play the 1 seed if they advance.

Oregon is a tough matchup but I think all circumstances point towards UW winning. Four games in as many days, OT last night, Louis King might not even play, and Oregon just beat UW a week ago. It’s really hard to beat a team twice in the same week.

This just kind of feels like it is UW’s year. All the seniors. Win the Pac-12. Possibly win the Pac-12 tourney. Either way, should be a great game to watch.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Go Ducks! Not going to get to watch the game, dont know who will win, but I have a feeling both of them will be one and done in the big tournament.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Man was I wrong. Huskies didn't even seem to care. Oregon outplayed them from start to finish.

D

DomeHawk

Natethegreat":1ts2o0ec said:
Man was I wrong. Huskies didn't even seem to care. Oregon outplayed them from start to finish.

In the first half there were times when Oregon played poorly but the Huskies couldn't capitalize on that. UW barely beat the #8 seed in the first game and haven't looked good for a month.

Oregon was clearly the better team and they deserve their bid to the dance. I just hope that performance doesn't keep us out. Can't say they wouldn't deserve it.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":3tb33cj7 said:
Go Ducks! Not going to get to watch the game, dont know who will win, but I have a feeling both of them will be one and done in the big tournament.

I actually think Oregon could win a couple of games.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3den6slw said:
JSeahawks":3den6slw said:

Who are you, and where is Domehawk?

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":1c70loe2 said:
DomeHawk":1c70loe2 said:
JSeahawks":1c70loe2 said:

Who are you, and where is Domehawk?

Lol, I tell like it is J.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I still think UW has a chance to win a couple games(assuming they get in which I think they will) even though they are not playing well lately. I think playing teams they haven't faced will really help their offense which hasn't been good lately except for that USC game.

Edit: Mainly I think they will be able to create offense off their defense which isn't seen by most teams throughout the year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
UW plays USU. Watched them play San Diego State in their championship game. They are all right. They have a very good big by the name of Queto and a good guard Sammie Merril.
The big guy is 6-11 and fairly talented but he can be pushed around pretty easy. Needs to bulk up and he could be real good.
This is a game UW should win.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
UW should beat USU but how they have been playing lately suggests otherwise. If they do get past Utah State, they most likely would face UNC and that’s where UW’s season realistically would end.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I like the 9 seed and they should win the first game and be done in round 2.
But, where this team is now vs. when Hop took over? He has done an amazing job.

D

DomeHawk

Agree entirely with the last two comments but remember, UW played #1 Gonzaga to within one point earlier in the season. This was a Zag's team that beat #1 Duke.

It's a long shot but if they can find their mojo again they could have a chance.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind if UW can get past USU is that UNC turned the ball over at a high rate when they played Gonzaga. Thats the path to a UW victory against UNC. Easy transition buckets off turnovers. It can be done through their defense. UNC has inexperienced guards and UW has to turn them over at a high rate.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Natethegreat":snuhulfn said:
One thing to keep in mind if UW can get past USU is that UNC turned the ball over at a high rate when they played Gonzaga. Thats the path to a UW victory against UNC. Easy transition buckets off turnovers. It can be done through their defense. UNC has inexperienced guards and UW has to turn them over at a high rate.

The Huskies are extremely sloppy and turn the ball over on offense as much as they get turnovers on defense. They also rely way too much on 3 pointers. If those shots don't fall, the offense goes sideways. That is a recipe for disaster against good teams in the tourney. Timmins is a worthless as a big guy. He can't rebound (Huskies are an awful rebounding team) and that's where teams like Oregon, ASU, and California destroyed the Huskies.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Huskies are weird.

They have a very good record. But they are weirdly difficult to watch.

They are tremendously sloppy with passes, terrible ball handlers, and seem to have problems scoring. You see a lot of bricks in a UW basketball game.

Their defense saves them. But it seems like they are constantly committing turnovers in getting the ball stolen or making bad passes.

I have no idea what to expect. Losing to Utah State wouldn't be weird at all. But with their record, it is clear they can play well. Maybe I just missed those games and only saw the bad ones.

Not sure what to think. I like the players, but for some reason they seem to struggle at a lot of things that you would expect a basketball team with a good record would be good at. Again, weird.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They are tricky team to figure out. My take on them is that when they are playing their best basketball, they can compete with any team in the country. When they don't play well, they can lose to almost any team in the country. Just depends what team you get. When shots fall, they look a lot better. The defense will always be there, they just need to play well on offense.

I think getting out of the Pac-12 will help them, as most teams aren't familiar with our zone. I expect us to beat Utah State and I think we could give UNC a game if we are play one of our better games.

D

DomeHawk

Hawk-Lock":2yb8lcjl said:
They are tricky team to figure out. My take on them is that when they are playing their best basketball, they can compete with any team in the country. When they don't play well, they can lose to almost any team in the country. Just depends what team you get. When shots fall, they look a lot better. The defense will always be there, they just need to play well on offense.

I think getting out of the Pac-12 will help them, as most teams aren't familiar with our zone. I expect us to beat Utah State and I think we could give UNC a game if we are play one of our better games.

^^^^yep, and it's just that simple.

BUT, their offensive possessions are so bad sometimes that it causes me concern about the coaching. Hop has obviously done a great job but his game plans are disturbing sometimes. In the last game against Oregon he wanted them to attack the basket, which I like, but they aren't very good at it and Oregon plays great defense too. I was hoping that they would just keep running both up and down the court and in motion offense. Wear them out, they have played three games in three nights. Instead they seemed to be helping Oregon conserve their energy.

Tical21

Reaction score
Their up and down nature I attribute almost wholly to the fact that they don't have a point guard. Point guards settle the waters in college basketball, and create good shots. Some games the Huskies get literally zero good shots from their halfcourt sets. This will be an entirely different looking offense next January. Until then, they're going to live and die by their ability to make contested shots.

D

DomeHawk

Tical21":1r51mmx3 said:
Their up and down nature I attribute almost wholly to the fact that they don't have a point guard. Point guards settle the waters in college basketball, and create good shots. Some games the Huskies get literally zero good shots from their halfcourt sets. This will be an entirely different looking offense next January. Until then, they're going to live and die by their ability to make contested shots.

I get your point but I think David Crisp did a pretty good job this year. He didn't come in as a point guard but I don't think you can say we really didn't have a point guard.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/c ... 34824.html