UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Huskies look terrible on offense. Their defense is the only thing keeping them in this, but it is fairly solid.

It is the weirdest offense. They seem to sit around on the perimeter, jack up bricks and rely on Dickerson to get the rebound and put it in the basket.

I don't even really see drives to the basket.

Nothing new here. Been doing this all year. If they cannot get in transition - they almost cannot score.

And if Crisp is missing shots, yikes.

Still, they have a chance in this game but a better team is going to wax them.

Still, heck of an accomplishment even getting there. This team can barely hit jump shots and they made it - when we had teams with NBA players in it that flat out missed the tournament. Pretty impressive.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
This is the first time I've watched Washington play. That defense is legit and Thybulle and Dickerson are really good players.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Huskies are a better team when Crisp is on the bench and not on the floor. Hop, keep Crisp on the bench please. Dickerson and Naz were amazing. Good time for Noah's best game of the season.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawkfan68":18r3v8z9 said:
Huskies are a better team when Crisp is on the bench and not on the floor. Hop, keep Crisp on the bench please. Dickerson and Naz were amazing. Good time for Noah's best game of the season.
I disagree on Crisp. He's one of their best scorers both behind the arch and driving into the paint. Huskies are at their best when he can play as a SG instead of a PG. They should have Nowell play PG more IMO, even though he's more of a SG too... Nowell seems to be able to transition his game better and switch between dishing to others and scoring in the pace of the game. Where Crisp seems to get stuck into score 1st mode too often hurting the overall offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good day for the pac 12. Carried the momentum from the tournament to two easy wins (bobby hurley can do one).

Excited for both sunday games. Oregon gets a tremendous matchup.

Washington up against one of the best teams and one of the most storied programs in the country. Will be a good watch.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I actually think that the reason our guys struggle so much on offense is because the defense takes so much out of them.

You look and see our offense seems to be almost everyone outside the 3 pt line, not really moving, passing the ball back and forth but it makes sense because they have to expend so much energy on defense. And you don't want to improve the offense if it means losing the defense - so you take what you can.

They will be playing a #1 seed. I don't think it makes any sense to expect them to win.

But again, this team accomplished what some of our teams with NBA players did not accomplish - it won the Pac12 and then went to the Dance. Cannot complain at all.

They can be hard to watch on offense because it is so bafflingly bad that you wonder how a team that seems to struggle to dribble, pass and shoot wins games at all. But that defense is legit.

I actually think if Thybulle makes the NBA, people are going to find out he can be a much better shooter because he was forced to spend so much energy on defense.

Kudos to the team for getting this far at all. I think as soon as we get a PG that can actually break the press, this is going to be a pretty good team.

D

DomeHawk

TwistedHusky":5ljbxwgm said:
I actually think that the reason our guys struggle so much on offense is because the defense takes so much out of them.

It's a good point but this team looks so much better on offense when Dickerson is included.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Great win last night. When this team is clicking, they can play with pretty much anyone. Getting out of the Pac-12 was great for this team. Teams got very familiar with our zone near the end of the conference schedule. Unfortunately UNC plays in the ACC with Syracuse and will be familiar with the zone.

We can beat UNC. Of all the #1 seeds, I think they are most vulnerable. We can't get in an up and down game with them because they want to play an fast paced game. Also need to keep them off the glass, they are one of the best rebounding teams in the nation. If I'm Hop, I utilize the Kansas game plan from last season. Take away the three's and buckets under the hoop. We can live with them shooting open jumpers from the FT line area. But we can't let Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson get open looks from three, and we can't let them get lob dunks.

seacat1

Reaction score
Does anyone know what section the UW fans will be sitting in vs UNC I would like to buy a ticket.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
seacat1":i9p4iba5 said:
Does anyone know what section the UW fans will be sitting in vs UNC I would like to buy a ticket.

So jealous. I heard there are a ton of tickets available now that Cincinnati lost.

seacat1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1f1hc8o0 said:
seacat1":1f1hc8o0 said:

So jealous. I heard there are a ton of tickets available now that Cincinnati lost.

Yes. It looks like plenty of tickets available just hoping to find something behind the UW bench or close.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t expect the UW to win against a #1 seed, if they can play a close competitive game I would be happy.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":m2u6tku0 said:
I don’t expect the UW to win against a #1 seed, if they can play a close competitive game I would be happy.
Why not? They played GU pretty close at GU.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1zv2p8kv said:
Sports Hernia":1zv2p8kv said:
They played Gonzaga great, and almost pulled that game out.
IMHO NC is a step above Gonzaga.

I would love the Dawgs to prove me wrong and you can come back and say “see, I told you so”, but I don’t see that happening.

Prove me wrong Dawgs!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":wzzs7fuu said:
Natethegreat":wzzs7fuu said:
Sports Hernia":wzzs7fuu said:
They played Gonzaga great, and almost pulled that game out.
IMHO NC is a step above Gonzaga.

I would love the Dawgs to prove me wrong and you can come back and say “see, I told you so”, but I don’t see that happening.

Prove me wrong Dawgs!
I know the Zags lost to UNC but it was a cross country game on UNC's home court after just playing Tennessee and it was finals week which the zags always play terrible around( lost to Portland Sate one year at home during finals week).
I wouldn't read too much into that loss.
I was just reading an article on CBS sports that stated this:

Gonzaga is the best team remaining in the field
Throw a zone at Gonzaga, and the Zags will shoot you out of it. Throw man defense at them, and they will shred it like cheddar. Every time you try to zig, this team is capable of zagging (pun very much intended).

This is the very best team remaining in the NCAA Tournament field.

And after Saturday, it's hard to argue it doesn't boast the two best players out of the East Regional with Brandon Clarke, who scored 38 on an efficient 15 of 18 shooting in the Bulldogs' 83-71 win over Bayloer, in a game where All-America candidate Rui Hachimura was limited to six points.

Add in the re-emergence and renewed health of Killian Tillie, the 6-10 center who can block shots, make threes and throw down rim-rocking dunks, and you've got yourself a near-flawless team from top to bottom that just might win the whole thing. Especially if Brandon Clarke is doing stuff that puts him in the same rarefied air as Shaq and David Robinson.

My point being UW went toe to toe with the Zags on their home court. They can do the same with UNC. They are not a notch above GU imo or the opinion of many others.
There are three legitimately good national title contenders this year in Duke, GU, and UNC and I would put UNC third on that list.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not the point of the topic, but Michigan, Virginia, Tennessee, Michigan State, Kentucky are as legit title contenders as Gonzaga.

Washington will have to play a perfect game today, and get some help from UNC. But that's how upsets work in this tournament, so its certainly a possibility.

Im thinking that 8-9 seed might be the worst place to be in the NCAA tournament.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Upset can definitely happen. I have hope for UW because of our experience, our coach and our zone. While UNC is familiar with the zone, I could see them taking time to adjust to it. Of all the #1 seeds, I think UNC is most likely to fall. They can be inconcsistent at times this season. I think we will see Hop extend the zone on the perimeter against Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson and allow them to shoot that mid range shot around the FT line area. Obviously we will need great shooting and performances from our guys.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1fqqhrtz said:
Sports Hernia":1fqqhrtz said:

GU didn’t have Tillie in that game. They are a better team with Tillie healthy which he is now.