Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NBA Lottery

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
NBA Lottery
Tue May 14, 2019 5:05 pm
  • After having watched footage of the lottery when the Knicks were able to get Ewing, I'm certainly a believer in a certain amount of steering in sports. That said, the Pelicans getting the right to draft Zion and the Knicks coming in third certainly couldn't have involved any steering (or at least not successful steering).

    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2674 ... -no-1-pick
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 106006
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 pm
  • Might be thanks to Davis giving up on the season and then taking off, though Pelicans aren't exactly a sexy option for Zion.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4740
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:Might be thanks to Davis giving up on the season and then taking off, though Pelicans aren't exactly a sexy option for Zion.



    Why do you say that? He doesn't want to play in a big market.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3388
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 am
  • Are we sure this wasn’t steering though? The Lakers had a 2% chance of getting a top 4 pick. In a year where they absolutely need to surround LeBron but didn’t have the assets to make a reasonable trade for an established star.

    The Pelicans were tampered with the entire year, and some how land the #1 pick with the 8th best odds.

    I’m going to don my conspiratorial hat and say this was the perfect way to rig the lottery while pretending you didn’t. Throw Ewing on stage to bring back previous lottery rigging memories, subvert expectations by having the pick go to the team everyone felt bad for all season. Meanwhile, we’ve known since February that KD and Kyrie are going to the Knicks. The league has given the Lakers the assets to the entice the Pelicans into trading Davis which they can afford to do because they now have Zion...
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1792
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am
  • They should do scratch offs. It would be more exciting to the 3 fans of the NBA.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34211
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Wed May 15, 2019 1:38 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:They should do scratch offs. It would be more exciting to the 3 fans of the NBA.


    They should do the ping pong balls live like they used to.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4100
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: NBA Lottery
Wed May 15, 2019 2:37 pm
  • I hate how some are saying the Pelicans "don't deserve Zion". If they don't, then who does? The Knicks? The Lebrons? Whatever. New York City is pissing and moaning about not getting Zion, and acting like they should have. Now all the NY media pundits and NYP articles are coming out about ways the Knicks can still get him. What a bunch of sore losers. And LA? Please. LeBron and friends created that mess. They need to own it.

    There is no rigging. It's a lottery. You can't win if you don't play. Nothing is guaranteed for anyone. It's a game of chance.

    And as for New Orleans, well this is their chance to rebuild the right way this time. As a long time fan, I'm extremely excited to see where this will go. It's hard to fault Dell Demps during the last disaster, but I'm going to anyway. He was following Benson's orders to "win now". So he attempted to jumpstart that by throwing almost literally all of his draft capital away in trades for "young vets". The problem was that some of the big name"young vets" either didn't have the right attitude (Eric Gordon), got stuck in a logjam at their position (Tyreek Evans), or were just a plain mistake (Omer Asik). Demps dug himself into a hole early, and continued to make it worse with moves like signing the turd Solomon Hill to a huge contract and essentially trading 3 first round picks to aquire Cousins who had was up for a new contract. The trade for Mirotic was actually good, but Demps again paid the price of a first round pick to get him to chase a playoff spot. Mirotic only lasted a year in NOLA, as Demps traded him to Milwaukee at the deadline for 4 2nd round picks. And in order to get himself out of some of his big misses, he had to throw away more first round picks into trade packages to do so. He was a mess.

    And the narrative about New Orleans "the first 7 years" of Anthony Davis' career is false. Sure, they could've done a better job of building around him, but a lot of it falls on Davis himself. He's not a winner. He doesn't have that alpha killer instinct. He had some decent players around, but he's the one who let Draymond Green dominate him in both the 2014 playoffs and last year. He's a far superior player, but didn't step up. He never embraced being the face of the franchise. A lot of New Orleans' problems over the time he's been there can be put in Davis' shoulders, no matter how unpopular that may seem.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1518
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: NBA Lottery
Wed May 15, 2019 3:01 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:They should do scratch offs. It would be more exciting to the 3 fans of the NBA.


    They should do the ping pong balls live like they used to.


    I didn't watch. What do they do now?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 106006
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:And the narrative about New Orleans "the first 7 years" of Anthony Davis' career is false. Sure, they could've done a better job of building around him, but a lot of it falls on Davis himself. He's not a winner. He doesn't have that alpha killer instinct. He had some decent players around, but he's the one who let Draymond Green dominate him in both the 2014 playoffs and last year. He's a far superior player, but didn't step up. He never embraced being the face of the franchise. A lot of New Orleans' problems over the time he's been there can be put in Davis' shoulders, no matter how unpopular that may seem.

    Davis averaged 28PPG / 15TRB / 2STL / 2BLK against the Warriors last year. What more do you want from the guy?
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1792
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 am
  • knownone wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:And the narrative about New Orleans "the first 7 years" of Anthony Davis' career is false. Sure, they could've done a better job of building around him, but a lot of it falls on Davis himself. He's not a winner. He doesn't have that alpha killer instinct. He had some decent players around, but he's the one who let Draymond Green dominate him in both the 2014 playoffs and last year. He's a far superior player, but didn't step up. He never embraced being the face of the franchise. A lot of New Orleans' problems over the time he's been there can be put in Davis' shoulders, no matter how unpopular that may seem.

    Davis averaged 28PPG / 15TRB / 2STL / 2BLK against the Warriors last year. What more do you want from the guy?

    It's not about stats. Everybody knows he puts up big numbers. His attitude is the problem. He's made made it clear he doesn't want to work to help build NO into a contender. And he's pretty much made it clear that he wants to go to the bright lights of LA to ride the jock of LeBron and the proverbial jock of his agent, Rich Paul.

    He didn't need to come out and make good stupid test request public. The Pelicans were still in the playoff hunt at the all-star break when the news broke. He threw a wrench in that team and derailed the rest of the season. It was a punk move. And honestly, I'd love to see New Orleans maximize all this leverage they have, not that they hold the right to draft Williamson. That opens the door to get basically anything they want for Davis in a trade. That will give them a promising future to build young, with tons of future draft capital and young, cheap, up and coming talent.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1518
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: NBA Lottery
Thu May 16, 2019 1:26 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:And the narrative about New Orleans "the first 7 years" of Anthony Davis' career is false. Sure, they could've done a better job of building around him, but a lot of it falls on Davis himself. He's not a winner. He doesn't have that alpha killer instinct. He had some decent players around, but he's the one who let Draymond Green dominate him in both the 2014 playoffs and last year. He's a far superior player, but didn't step up. He never embraced being the face of the franchise. A lot of New Orleans' problems over the time he's been there can be put in Davis' shoulders, no matter how unpopular that may seem.

    Davis averaged 28PPG / 15TRB / 2STL / 2BLK against the Warriors last year. What more do you want from the guy?

    It's not about stats. Everybody knows he puts up big numbers. His attitude is the problem. He's made made it clear he doesn't want to work to help build NO into a contender. And he's pretty much made it clear that he wants to go to the bright lights of LA to ride the jock of LeBron and the proverbial jock of his agent, Rich Paul.

    He didn't need to come out and make good stupid test request public. The Pelicans were still in the playoff hunt at the all-star break when the news broke. He threw a wrench in that team and derailed the rest of the season. It was a punk move. And honestly, I'd love to see New Orleans maximize all this leverage they have, not that they hold the right to draft Williamson. That opens the door to get basically anything they want for Davis in a trade. That will give them a promising future to build young, with tons of future draft capital and young, cheap, up and coming talent.

    Here's the thing, I don't disagree with you on his attitude. He could have and should have handled things better.

    However, you can't ignore the fact that the Pelicans have been a disaster of a franchise since drafting Davis. Davis has played with 2 other all-stars in his 7 years in the league. One of those players, Boogie Cousins, played 1 year with Davis and you really couldn't play them together effectively because they play the same position. The other guy is Jrue Holiday, he's made the all-star team once in his 10 year career. That's the cream of the crop for Davis's supporting cast in 7 years in the league.

    Their front office signed bench rotation players Solomon Hill, and Omer Asik to massive contracts. And they traded their best young asset in his rookie season to rent Cousins for a year. They went full win now mode by trading all of their picks and young assets while signing guys who were not only bad roster fits... they weren't even good players.

    Davis and his representatives acted like entitled morons with how they tried to force a trade. But you can't argue that he's in the wrong for wanting out of NOLA. Davis is one of the 3 most talented players in the league and they've only made the playoffs twice. That's not a player issue.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1792
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: NBA Lottery
Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:And the narrative about New Orleans "the first 7 years" of Anthony Davis' career is false. Sure, they could've done a better job of building around him, but a lot of it falls on Davis himself. He's not a winner. He doesn't have that alpha killer instinct. He had some decent players around, but he's the one who let Draymond Green dominate him in both the 2014 playoffs and last year. He's a far superior player, but didn't step up. He never embraced being the face of the franchise. A lot of New Orleans' problems over the time he's been there can be put in Davis' shoulders, no matter how unpopular that may seem.

    Davis averaged 28PPG / 15TRB / 2STL / 2BLK against the Warriors last year. What more do you want from the guy?

    It's not about stats. Everybody knows he puts up big numbers. His attitude is the problem. He's made made it clear he doesn't want to work to help build NO into a contender. And he's pretty much made it clear that he wants to go to the bright lights of LA to ride the jock of LeBron and the proverbial jock of his agent, Rich Paul.

    He didn't need to come out and make good stupid test request public. The Pelicans were still in the playoff hunt at the all-star break when the news broke. He threw a wrench in that team and derailed the rest of the season. It was a punk move. And honestly, I'd love to see New Orleans maximize all this leverage they have, not that they hold the right to draft Williamson. That opens the door to get basically anything they want for Davis in a trade. That will give them a promising future to build young, with tons of future draft capital and young, cheap, up and coming talent.

    Here's the thing, I don't disagree with you on his attitude. He could have and should have handled things better.

    However, you can't ignore the fact that the Pelicans have been a disaster of a franchise since drafting Davis. Davis has played with 2 other all-stars in his 7 years in the league. One of those players, Boogie Cousins, played 1 year with Davis and you really couldn't play them together effectively because they play the same position. The other guy is Jrue Holiday, he's made the all-star team once in his 10 year career. That's the cream of the crop for Davis's supporting cast in 7 years in the league.

    Their front office signed bench rotation players Solomon Hill, and Omer Asik to massive contracts. And they traded their best young asset in his rookie season to rent Cousins for a year. They went full win now mode by trading all of their picks and young assets while signing guys who were not only bad roster fits... they weren't even good players.

    Davis and his representatives acted like entitled morons with how they tried to force a trade. But you can't argue that he's in the wrong for wanting out of NOLA. Davis is one of the 3 most talented players in the league and they've only made the playoffs twice. That's not a player issue.


    I think this goes further up the pipe to asking "Just how competitive do we want players to be and in what ways?"

    For some it feels like trying to stack the deck for the team outcome is not the type of competitive they like, but the fan idea of competitive is 'suffer with terrible teammates and a front office that doesn't care and if it doesn't work, it's actually your fault for not being better'.

    I mean, that's how a lot of it comes across, like it's Davis' fault for not just eating shit for 7 years of his career and being good enough to compensate.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3872
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm




It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online