Mariners 2019 season

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Madden is a great coach but why would he come here? He is one of the best baseball managers and the Mariners are arguably the worst MLB franchise.

The team is awful and I don’t really care because it was suppose to be a throw away season. I’m just worried that if these prospects don’t pan out then we are talking about a long set back.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
If the prospects don't pan out they'll have plenty of payroll to buy players... That was always the plan anyways. They just may need to buy more than anticipated.

It's best to sit out this iteration of the Astros anyways and maybe follow the Twins lead on things.

That said... May has sucked for this team. Be nice to get back to a few good team efforts at least.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, YK had another quality start. He's looking like a keeper. Smith came back looking like at least an average ball player for now. Encarnacion seems to be working to improve his trade value. He had a nice diving catch of a soft pop-up on the infield.

It's not all doom and gloom. ;)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":35rmjpam said:
Madden is a great coach but why would he come here? He is one of the best baseball managers and the Mariners are arguably the worst MLB franchise.

The team is awful and I don’t really care because it was suppose to be a throw away season. I’m just worried that if these prospects don’t pan out then we are talking about a long set back.
It's Maddon guys..Why wouldn't he come here?He's not your
typical personality..He like challenges and money talks..I can very well see
him coming if the Cubs are stupid enough to let him go and the Mariners
pay him well..Why did Lou come here?Why did Lou go to the Cubs? :lol:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Traded one of our best BP pitchers..It's over for sure now..Tanking it up!

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
LOL bottom 1st 5-0.. should be 2 errors but the error on the DP attempt goes as a fielders choice. This team is unwatchable. :pukeface:

Of course i post that then they come back and only lose by a run :shock:

Threedee

Reaction score
I actually think their defense is worse than the pitching. The pitching staff is merely an embarrassment, but, the defense would get laughed-at by a struggling AAA team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":o3jbcump said:

Swarzek was terrible.

Nothing wrong with ridding him from the roster and trying someone new

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22to9x6e said:
IndyHawk":22to9x6e said:

Swarzek was terrible.

Well, "best" for our bullpen is a pretty low bar. :twisted:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sutz":3q8g605u said:
Uncle Si":3q8g605u said:
IndyHawk":3q8g605u said:

Swarzek was terrible.

Well, "best" for our bullpen is a pretty low bar. :twisted:

Agree there... but at least now they can hand the ball off to someone who only "might suck" as opposed to "does suck"

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The team has lost 25 out of the last 35. Rebuild or not, with the glaring lack of young bullpen arms throughout the organization and the rudderless approach at top, I'm not sure Dipoto has a clear view of where this team is headed by the '21 target.

I think at this point I echo a couple others saying trading Haniger by the deadline may not be a bad idea. Hell, might as well consider trading just about everyone for this rebuild. I would keep Vogey, Santana, Narvaez and the prospects to see how they develop but honestly there's not a single prospect we have that's "can't miss." Keep Marco and Kikuchi also but if a great offer came for them might as well consider it.

Dipoto's entire strategy is predicated on Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic and a few others becoming quality players by '21 and adding a few FAs to supplement the roster. It may just end up producing another .500 club.

sutz

Reaction score
Healy and Gordon on the 10 day IL, so gonna gets some looks at the young guys. Beckham, JP, Shed and EE infield. Shed Long got his first hit, hopefully one of many. Milone with a decent start: 5 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs. Lot of pitches, though, they fouled off about 20 pitches in the first two innings.

Offense was ice cold once again. :34853_doh:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":34p6rowz said:
The team has lost 25 out of the last 35. Rebuild or not, with the glaring lack of young bullpen arms throughout the organization and the rudderless approach at top, I'm not sure Dipoto has a clear view of where this team is headed by the '21 target.

I think at this point I echo a couple others saying trading Haniger by the deadline may not be a bad idea. Hell, might as well consider trading just about everyone for this rebuild. I would keep Vogey, Santana, Narvaez and the prospects to see how they develop but honestly there's not a single prospect we have that's "can't miss." Keep Marco and Kikuchi also but if a great offer came for them might as well consider it.

Dipoto's entire strategy is predicated on Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic and a few others becoming quality players by '21 and adding a few FAs to supplement the roster. It may just end up producing another .500 club.

If that is the approach, why are you concerned about Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic, etc as its mid-May and many haven't even seen major league action yet? There's rarely a "can't miss" prospect, and they still may be able to draft one in the future.

They are not going to trade Kikuchi, probably not Marco either. Leake, certainly could go.

This is year 1 of a rebuild. If the future is based on the prospects who are barely seeing action, then the best thing a fan can see is a slow integration of these prospects into the bigs this year... then start adding FAs to that core next year.

Wins-losses mean nothing. Vets getting hits is a good thing, even if there are 4 DHs in the lineup. Get their numbers up, trade them. Vets eating innings is the same thing. Who cares if one of them tanks an inning and the team loses if two of them go scoreless for a couple?

Its shitty to watch, but its what the team is. Might as well see it for what its supposed to be.

I am not sold that the GM is the guy to see this through either. But.. in the meantime, the farm is deep and the prospects are improving (according to Lookout Landing atleast) so the future isnt bleak, even if the present is hot garbage.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":p433m346 said:
West TX Hawk":p433m346 said:

If that is the approach, why are you concerned about Sheffield, Crawford, Long, Dunn, Kelenic, etc as its mid-May and many haven't even seen major league action yet? There's rarely a "can't miss" prospect, and they still may be able to draft one in the future.

They are not going to trade Kikuchi, probably not Marco either. Leake, certainly could go.

This is year 1 of a rebuild. If the future is based on the prospects who are barely seeing action, then the best thing a fan can see is a slow integration of these prospects into the bigs this year... then start adding FAs to that core next year.

Wins-losses mean nothing. Vets getting hits is a good thing, even if there are 4 DHs in the lineup. Get their numbers up, trade them. Vets eating innings is the same thing. Who cares if one of them tanks an inning and the team loses if two of them go scoreless for a couple?

Its shitty to watch, but its what the team is. Might as well see it for what its supposed to be.

I am not sold that the GM is the guy to see this through either. But.. in the meantime, the farm is deep and the prospects are improving (according to Lookout Landing atleast) so the future isnt bleak, even if the present is hot garbage.

Some good points Si. It's not that I'm concerned with our current batch of prospects, it's just that I think we need a lot more to have a real shot at contending in a couple years (particularly BP arms). Just like NFL drafts, some guys will pay off, some will be ok, some will be flat busts. We can't assume that our current crop of top 10 prospects will all work out, so I think we need to deppen our stock. I don't entirely have confidence either in Dipoto's ability to sign quality FAs in a couple years either (or if top FAs would actually want to come here) so I think our best chance is to develop from within.

As such, I think we need to be even more aggressive sellers at the deadline than anticipated. I last read our farm rose from the bottom to average level, but we still have a ways to go to get to the Padres level of stock.

For the tanking/rebuild mode, for every Cubs and Astros tank/title model there's of course the Reds, Marlins, White Sox, Orioles and others that failed or are still waiting. It was Dipoto's only play but watching the current piss poor product on the field is indeed difficult and at times maddening. I want to keep believing this will all pay off in a couple years but this organization and Dipoto's track record make it hard to be completely on board or optomistic. I do hope Crawford, Justus etc all do pay off though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3dxd8na6 said:
Uncle Si":3dxd8na6 said:
West TX Hawk":3dxd8na6 said:

Some good points Si. It's not that I'm concerned with our current batch of prospects, it's just that I think we need a lot more to have a real shot at contending in a couple years (particularly BP arms). Just like NFL drafts, some guys will pay off, some will be ok, some will be flat busts. We can't assume that our current crop of top 10 prospects will all work out, so I think we need to deppen our stock. I don't entirely have confidence either in Dipoto's ability to sign quality FAs in a couple years either (or if top FAs would actually want to come here) so I think our best chance is to develop from within.

As such, I think we need to be even more aggressive sellers at the deadline than anticipated. I last read our farm rose from the bottom to average level, but we still have a ways to go to get to the Padres level of stock.

For the tanking/rebuild mode, for every Cubs and Astros tank/title model there's of course the Reds, Marlins, White Sox, Orioles and others that failed or are still waiting. It was Dipoto's only play but watching the current piss poor product on the field is indeed difficult and at times maddening. I want to keep believing this will all pay off in a couple years but this organization and Dipoto's track record make it hard to be completely on board or optomistic. I do hope Crawford, Justus etc all do pay off though.

Totally agree with this. My concern isnt the wins-losses, but are the prospects showing signs of being something bright for the future, and are the vets contributing individually where they can be offloaded for something of value. The tanking isn't intentional as much as it is a reflection of the imbalance of the player pool.. which is unfortunate but expected.

It will be interesting in the next 3-12 months to see where they start to load up as these prospects start to make regular appearances on the big league rosters. I do think a re-evaluation of the farm would put it in the top 10. Nothing certain, for sure, but still more to hang on. I can see them taking on some intriguing arms through trade and FA to start to build that pool, then use the vast salary space they have to bring in big time FAs in 2021. The nice thing is, they will be trading from the main team and not the farm in acquiring talent in the near future.

That's how i hope it plays out atleast. Team should be more competitive and balanced in some ways next season, then all-in by the following.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I highly recommend prospectinsider.com to keep up with the M’s prospects.
They have daily recaps on how they did. The site is much easier to navigate then it used to be and the info is usually updated daily. Kelenic is staring to catch fire in A ball and I expect him to move up to upper A-ball at least by mid season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":acy54f8o said:
I highly recommend prospectinsider.com to keep up with the M’s prospects.
They have daily recaps on how they did. The site is much easier to navigate then it used to be and the info is usually updated daily. Kelenic is staring to catch fire in A ball and I expect him to move up to upper A-ball at least by mid season.

I'll give it a look, even though i probably have no idea what they're talking about in terms of measurables.

Here is LLs latest farm roundup

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/5/23/18635963/state-of-the-farm-5-23-19

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
You know people don’t care when nobody posts in here for basically a week.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
lol for the last week... i think I've turned the game in the 2nd-3rd innings. Not a fair-weather fan by any means... but its just bad baseball. Not fun to watch