US Mens Soccer

Largent80

Reaction score
U.S. Womens soccer is so much better. Why watch the dreadful mess of the men's team?...Hell I have a hard time watching any soccer but good lord it's hard to understand how the USA can't put together a good mens team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2y2v34g6 said:
U.S. Womens soccer is so much better. Why watch the dreadful mess of the men's team?...Hell I have a hard time watching any soccer but good lord it's hard to understand how the USA can't put together a good mens team.

Title 9 was instituted in the United States in 1972, that's how big of an advantage our women have had over most of the rest of the world for decades in developing our women's sports programs, including soccer. Our women are light years ahead.

The men are still trying to develop and catch up to other regions of the world who have had successful programs, developmental systems and superior leagues to develop their players in place for far longer than us.........and we're still struggling to find our way in an insanely competitive men's soccer environment globally.

knownone

Reaction score
I haven't been following the USMNT lately, so I've got a bit of a random question.

Was it a mistake to fire Jurgen? He obviously had his issues and didn't bring the style of play he promised, but the teams decline was obviously not his fault. It seems to me we were at the tail end of our golden generation and most people didn't realize or want to admit it was a golden generation. Dempsey, Landon (although Jurgen rarely used him), Howard, Jones, Bradley were all in their prime and performed well against high-level competition. As they declined, the team declines, and Jurgen did whatever he could to get young guys more opportunities and challenged them to get better, he failed largely due to a pretty average talent pool.

Right now we have what Pulisic, Yedlin, Brooks in their prime and a whole bunch of young guys with potential? Is it really a surprise this team is struggling lately or failed to make the WC?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Two things: no... not a mistake to fire Klinsmann. He had a great understanding of how to organize the program but was a fairly mediocre coach when the ball kicked off. The mistake was both the timing and then the replacement. It was recycled waste and uninspiring.

The men's team is not currently in qualifying. They are using the gold cup to bring along more young players... of which they have a lot. They are pretty deep in names for the back line but we are not seeing those players at the moment.

When the team is finally assembled they won't struggle too much with qualifying. I do with about their midfield. However, by the time the real games come along many of the .candidates will be fully engaged with big time clubs so that should help

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zmz5h48 said:
Largent80":2zmz5h48 said:

Title 9 was instituted in the United States in 1972, that's how big of an advantage our women have had over most of the rest of the world for decades in developing our women's sports programs, including soccer. Our women are light years ahead.

The men are still trying to develop and catch up to other regions of the world who have had successful programs, developmental systems and superior leagues to develop their players in place for far longer than us.........and we're still struggling to find our way in an insanely competitive men's soccer environment globally.

Id also disagree that the men are terrible. I mean 7 nations have ever wona world cup, and only 5 more than once. It's an extremely competitive field. The us are right on the outside of that.

They shit the bed last cycle but that is a very rare thing. They quite typically qualify and advance to the knockouts. Again, not great, but not terrible.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fxr1ff5 said:
Threedee":3fxr1ff5 said:
Hopefully they can at least avoid getting reverse-US Womens'd.

I honestly had no problem with what the US Women did.

The World Cup is the pinnacle of soccer, for both men and women............so to be criticized for excessive celebration for scoring goals, of which is every man and woman's dream since they started playing soccer at a very young age is tone deaf to me.

btw, absolutely no one on Thailand's team said anything negative, in fact the goalie said it was the greatest moment of her career after the game when Carli Lloyd came over to offer her encouragement.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-world- ... lloyd-did/

Do we get mad when NFL teams run up the score? Do we expect MLB teams to stop scoring runs once they're up 10 runs?

The World Cup is professional soccer, and btw every other team in our group is also playing Thailand, we need all the goals we can get to get the best seeding going into the knockout round.

People who are criticizing don't understand the sport is all I can think.

Yeah, I have no problem with what our ladies did. Watching them crush opponents is a lot of fun. Have to admit that despite being a classless mess, I miss seeing Hope Solo defend the goal.

No, I literally meant it would suck if the men lost 13-0. They do suck, after all.

Threedee

Reaction score
Another thing I want to see happen in soccer: A hat trick of own goals. While it would be traumatizing to the victim, it would be pretty epic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2bve511o said:
Sgt. Largent":2bve511o said:
Largent80":2bve511o said:

Id also disagree that the men are terrible. I mean 7 nations have ever wona world cup, and only 5 more than once. It's an extremely competitive field. The us are right on the outside of that.

They shit the bed last cycle but that is a very rare thing. They quite typically qualify and advance to the knockouts. Again, not great, but not terrible.

Absolutely not terrible, and in the scope of playing well in most of the recent World Cups I'd say we surpassed expectations making it into knockout rounds, and I am optimistic about what's going on with the youth movement in the US Men's program now.

I think for most non soccer fans like Largent80 who aren't used to seeing the United States not dominate in every sport globally, it's confusing and frustrating...........so they chalk it up as something must be wrong with the program, or we're under performing.

Chapow

Reaction score
Threedee":nubh6adn said:
Yeah, I have no problem with what our ladies did. Watching them crush opponents is a lot of fun. Have to admit that despite being a classless mess, I miss seeing Hope Solo defend the goal.

They didn't even need a goal keeper their first 2 WC games. They literally could've played with an empty net, 10 vs 11, and still easily won both of those games. I expect Sweden to be more competitive, but this USWNT looks extremely strong. I won't be terribly surprised if they curb stomp their way through this tournament fairly comfortably.

Quick side note, that Chilean goal keeper was absolutely outstanding. She deserves huge props for her performance yesterday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":jx40pepq said:
Threedee":jx40pepq said:

They didn't even need a goal keeper their first 2 WC games. They literally could've played with an empty net, 10 vs 11, and still easily won both of those games. I expect Sweden to be more competitive, but this USWNT looks extremely strong. I won't be terribly surprised if they curb stomp their way through this tournament fairly comfortably.

Quick side note, that Chilean goal keeper was absolutely outstanding. She deserves huge props for her performance yesterday.

As strong as I think the US side is, they've had their problems with the top 10 teams, tying both Japan and England in the last six months.........and France is also looking VERY strong in their group matches.

So I can't buy into the "curb stomp their way through the tournament" statement, but Sweden will be a much better barometer then Thailand or Chili moving into the knockout round.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3re2lkyt said:
Chapow":3re2lkyt said:
Threedee":3re2lkyt said:

As strong as I think the US side is, they've had their problems with the top 10 teams, tying both Japan and England in the last six months.........and France is also looking VERY strong in their group matches.

So I can't buy into the "curb stomp their way through the tournament" statement, but Sweden will be a much better barometer then Thailand or Chili moving into the knockout round.

For the record, I didn't say I expect them to curb stomp their way through this tournament fairly comfortably. I said I won't be terribly surprised if they do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":14jgsypd said:
Sgt. Largent":14jgsypd said:
Chapow":14jgsypd said:
Threedee":14jgsypd said:

For the record, I didn't say I expect them to curb stomp their way through this tournament fairly comfortably. I said I won't be terribly surprised if they do.

I gotcha, I guess I'm saying I would be surprised.

So far it's been like the Hawks playing a division 2 college team and a CFL team, destroying them, and now in the knockout rounds they're going to play real NFL teams.

I fully expect the US to be challenged.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
There are 5-6 teams in the Women's world cup that can do more than just compete with the US.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the USMNT tonight I wouldn't be surprised if the won 4-0 or lost 2-1.

Threedee

Reaction score
Chapow":1zpvlb3x said:
Threedee":1zpvlb3x said:

Agreed. She single-handedly prevented us from getting to 17 goals in the group stage (a record from 1995 which we should be breaking in the next game).

Threedee

Reaction score
Largent80":374px0mh said:
I LOVE it when the women show the men how it's done.

Honestly, they are so far above the competition, even when they are doing mundane things like backward passing, you don't have time to register a mental complaint before they are back on the attack.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":s46ziw95 said:
I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the USMNT tonight I wouldn't be surprised if the won 4-0 or lost 2-1.

Run of the mill..

Showed some spark at times, but also lacked a cutting edge. Controlled but not measured.

Typical of an inexperienced but somewhat talented team.