UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:15 pm
  • Saw the Zags thread and figured I'd go ahead and get the Dawgs thread going too. This should be a fun year for both teams! Some good news for the Dawgs today too with Quade Green getting the go ahead to start game 1!

    On Friday afternoon, the NCAA approved the Kentucky transfer’s eligibility petition, which allows him to play immediately for the Huskies.

    UW confirmed the news, which was first reported by Pete Thamel at Yahoo Sports.

    If Green’s petition had been denied, then he would have missed the first nine games and was scheduled to make his UW debut on Dec. 17 against Seattle University.

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/kentucky-transfer-quade-green-immediately-eligible-to-join-uw-huskies/

    1st official game will be this Friday against Baylor @ 6:30pm. Can't wait to see McDaniels, Stewart, and Green on the court together!
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:59 pm
  • Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 pm
  • is that a possibility?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 16018
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:32 pm
  • If the hype turns out to be true, yes.
    Loaded draft class. Time will tell.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26444
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:16 pm
  • They definitely have the talent, and the coach might be the best in the conference. Biggest concern is the youth and inexperience. Stewart and McDaniels will likely be lottery picks. Stewart could be the best player to ever play at UW, he’s that great. McDaniels is more of a project, NBA will like him for his potential. I expect them to finish in the top 25, contend for the Pac-12 title. Because of the youth, they may not hit their stride until a month or two into the season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:28 pm
  • I'm fairly surprised they didn't come into the season ranked already with all the talent on this team. Quade Green makes it three 5 star players in the starting lineup. Hopefully the injury bug stays away and we get to enjoy watching possibly the most talented team in Washington BB history.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:41 pm
  • Here's an interview with Stewart. There's a few highlights of some of the scrimmages they've played that weren't televised. Loved seeing McDaniels to Stewart connection!

    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 pm
  • Looking like poo so far.
    Way too sloppy with the ball. Not enough half court, too much run and gun IMHO.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26444
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm
  • What a comeback. Huge win.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:28 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Looking like poo so far.
    Way too sloppy with the ball. Not enough half court, too much run and gun IMHO.


    They are an extremely young team. Its going to take time for them to learn to play together and to learn who to go to against different defensive approaches. It shows how much talent they have though for them to come back against a solid Baylor team and get the win. They played sloppy, and they made tons of inexperienced mistakes, but they still beat the 16th ranked team in the country.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:17 am
  • DJrmb wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Looking like poo so far.
    Way too sloppy with the ball. Not enough half court, too much run and gun IMHO.


    They are an extremely young team. Its going to take time for them to learn to play together and to learn who to go to against different defensive approaches. It shows how much talent they have though for them to come back against a solid Baylor team and get the win. They played sloppy, and they made tons of inexperienced mistakes, but they still beat the 16th ranked team in the country.

    Absolutely great come back. :2thumbs:
    The last part of the game is what I was expecting them to play like.
    The first half was frustrating as hell to watch.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 26444
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:39 am
  • The new AP poll has us #20. It’s nice to have a great UW Hoops team again.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm
  • What?No good news?I'm shocked.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4870
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:47 pm
  • Hey Huskies fans, got a question.........I was watching a bit of one of their games a week and a half or so back and noticed they were playing man-to-man exclusively. What happened to the Syracuse 2-3 zone? What's the deal with their defensive approach this year?

    By the way not a question to be a d*ck as I prefer a man-to-man anyway. I think it's better as far as keeping players engaged on the defensive end and as a long time hoops player, I think it's more straightforward to play and far better to rebound out of on the defensive glass.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22699
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Hey Huskies fans, got a question.........I was watching a bit of one of their games a week and a half or so back and noticed they were playing man-to-man exclusively. What happened to the Syracuse 2-3 zone? What's the deal with their defensive approach this year?

    By the way not a question to be a d*ck as I prefer a man-to-man anyway. I think it's better as far as keeping players engaged on the defensive end and as a long time hoops player, I think it's more straightforward to play and far better to rebound out of on the defensive glass.


    If I were to hazard a guess, it is because they have such a young core. They played it a fair amount in their only loss and have since backed off. I bet as they get deeper into the season and the young guys become more familiar with that zone scheme, it is implemented more.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 790
    Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Hey Huskies fans, got a question.........I was watching a bit of one of their games a week and a half or so back and noticed they were playing man-to-man exclusively. What happened to the Syracuse 2-3 zone? What's the deal with their defensive approach this year?

    By the way not a question to be a d*ck as I prefer a man-to-man anyway. I think it's better as far as keeping players engaged on the defensive end and as a long time hoops player, I think it's more straightforward to play and far better to rebound out of on the defensive glass.


    If I were to hazard a guess, it is because they have such a young core. They played it a fair amount in their only loss and have since backed off. I bet as they get deeper into the season and the young guys become more familiar with that zone scheme, it is implemented more.


    The coach mentioned wanting to have it in their repertoire as a sort of "off-speed pitch" to throw at teams and change up pace. I think the reason they're running it so much early is because they're needing to practice it in games and want to get the experience in while playing against weaker opponents. Also they want to try out different combinations and players so the coaching staff can learn who to use in man.

    Here are a couple of links in the preseason where he talked about it:

    Starts about 4:25 in this video talking about coming to UW wanting to play press man in the beginning


    Again refers to playing man as having an "off-speed pitch" to throw at teams and situations @ 13:50
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1579
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm
  • Yep basically like an off speed pitch in baseball. He just wants to be able to give multiple looks and make sure opposing teams don't get too comfortable against a certain defense. As of now UW might be a better man defense team. They can put five guys on the court who can all move their feet. The zone is a work and progress, but the main issue is Green plays a lot but doesn't have much length.

    Big game coming up this week, I think UW beats Gonzaga.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4170
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: UW Huskies BB 2019-20 Thread
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Big game coming up this week, I think UW beats Gonzaga.

    Sadly I agree. Gonzaga can't shoot a 3, give up FAR too many offensive rebounds and turn it over too often.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22699
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA




It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests