Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if the Sonics had kept Pippen?

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
What if the Sonics had kept Pippen?
Fri May 01, 2020 2:02 pm

• I forgot they had him and was reminded of it "Last Dance".
    My question is that if they had kept him,do the Sonic's win
    Championship #2 and more?
    I can see Perkins,Glove,Shremph,Kemp and Pippen doing
    a lot together! Pip plays guard and Rodman comes
    to Seattle.
    One move could have done so much right? :cry:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: What if the Sonics had kept Pippen?
Fri May 01, 2020 2:53 pm
  • “No tippin’ Scotty Pippen”?

Sonics would have had another championship or 2.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat May 16, 2020 11:53 am
  • Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed May 20, 2020 6:16 pm
  • The Bulls would have still won 6. I've always thought Pippen was a good player, but very overrated.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:The Bulls would have still won 6. I've always thought Pippen was a good player, but very overrated.
    A Pippen today would be among top 4 in the game - no doubt in my mind.
    My thinking in making this post was ..The Sonics team who played the Bulls tough
    in the finals would have won at least one Championship had they kept the pick.
    As for him being very overrated back then?Hard to argue either way but the #33
    the Blazers got was not the prime #33 of the Bulls.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 pm
  • There are some major "what-ifs" are being glossed over here.

1. The Sonics had two top 10 draft picks and blew it. The team was not well run in the late 80s.
    2. Pippen was good, he was a top 5 pick, however, would he have gone to the all NBA level without a bully like Jordan pushing him and Phil Jackson/Doug Collins coaching him?
    3. This is the 1980s pound it inside NBA. The Sonics already had Tom Chambers and X man on the roster, how many minutes would Pippen have played?

I think if the Sonics keep Pippen they just don't make a move for Detlef Schrempf and maybe get by Denver in the 1994 playoffs.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sat May 30, 2020 6:43 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:There are some major "what-ifs" are being glossed over here.

1. The Sonics had two top 10 draft picks and blew it. The team was not well run in the late 80s.
    2. Pippen was good, he was a top 5 pick, however, would he have gone to the all NBA level without a bully like Jordan pushing him and Phil Jackson/Doug Collins coaching him?
    3. This is the 1980s pound it inside NBA. The Sonics already had Tom Chambers and X man on the roster, how many minutes would Pippen have played?

I think if the Sonics keep Pippen they just don't make a move for Detlef Schrempf and maybe get by Denver in the 1994 playoffs.

You are right about major 'what-if's"but it's ok since time has passed right?
    Anyway speaking of time I'm not sure who the Sonics had at what year(s)
    I mean X man was with the Knicks before Sonics-Bulls dance.
    A player like Pippen who could play all spots depending on matchups is
    starting on any Sonics/Bulls teams.
    You do have a point though,does #23 make him much better than he would
    have been otherwise?I'm curious that you said 80's pound inside?I'm talking
    90's which saw the center spot being less of offensive focus,don't take it
    wrong because there was plenty of inside action with the outside mixed in.
    I miss that .. :irishdrinkers:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 30, 2020 7:07 pm
  • The core of the 1987-88 Sonics was Dale Ellis, Xavier McDaniel, and Nate McMillian. At that point all those players had been in the leauge for less than 5 years. With X-Man and Mac-10 having been in the league for 2 years and 1 year respectively. They also had Tom Chambers who was only 29 at the time playing major minutes. So due to that Pippen would have been the 6th man or not even drafted as the team felt it needed a guard or center.

The 1986-87 Bulls on the other had had their guards set with Jordan and Paxton. They needed forwards to help Charles Oakley. So they traded for Pippen and drafted Horace Grant. The Bulls also had Doug Collins, Phil Jackson and Tex Winter who wanted forwards that could pass and move.

So it was kind of the perfect marriage for Pippen to land with the Bulls with the right coachs and the right leadership on the team.

On the Sonics who knows if they draft Kemp when they had a guy like Pippen on the team, maybe they trade him to get gaurd help after they draft Kemp.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sun May 31, 2020 12:00 pm
  • Well you certainly know a lot about both teams but I think the Sonics would have kept
    and found a way to use Pippen had they known he would be the kind of player he
    became.I think X or Ellis goes and they still draft Kemp the following year.Also Detlef
    was a core player as he was drafted in 84.
    As for the Bulls Oakley was traded for Bill Cartwright and Grant was drafted to replace
    Oak.
    Of course if Bulls don't trade for Pippen it's hard to see how they get 6 titles but at the
    same time my main point was it could have been the Sonics with multiple titles if they
    keep Pippen not the Bulls..I think he was the wildcard for either team to get multiple titles.
    It's fun going over this S..You have to be close to my age lol.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:05 pm
  • It is a fun what if. They Traded Pippen for Olden Polynice and Derrick McKey. It was a horrible trade just from that standpoint, even if Pippen turned out to be just a regular NBA SF. Horrible use of a top 5 pick.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information