Seattle Mariners 2020 season

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
sutz":1vqfg2tm said:
Shanegotyou11":1vqfg2tm said:
Mariners down 5 to 0 vs best pitching staff and won 6 to 5 in game 1 of a thriller. 1 back now.

Game 2 soon
Yeah, after a shaky start Marco hung in there like a trooper and ended up with the win. That's what good-to-great pitchers do.

Yea agree.

The mariners players smell how close they are.

balakoth

Reaction score
No one saying anything about the Griffey esque catch Lewis had? While batting just as well.

This season may not turn out well, but our future is bright

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
balakoth":1yy7752d said:
No one saying anything about the Griffey esque catch Lewis had? While batting just as well.

This season may not turn out well, but our future is bright
That was an outstanding catch. He is proving to be more athletic than I thought he was.
They will have 4 legit stud outfielders when all the young guys are all up eventually.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Future is bright. It stinks we are falling apart down the stretch since houston is as well. We probably need to sweep houston for a shot now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
M's playoffs? They don't even have a winning record. I believe if a team doesn't have a winning record, then they should automatically be disqualified for the postseason. This goes for any sport.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":r1v5eamq said:
Sheffield again.. nice outing.
Yeah, the starting pitching has been much better than I did expected.
If they can go out and land another good starter and not dick around and with the arbitration clocks of the Kelenic’s, Gilbert’s, and Kirby’s of the world they might be good and ready to contend NEXT a year. If they are overly concerned with starting the arb clocks it will be pushed back at least a year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3tp3g3eh said:
Uncle Si":3tp3g3eh said:
If they can go out and land another good starter and not d*ck around and with the arbitration clocks of the Kelenic’s, Gilbert’s, and Kirby’s of the world they might be good and ready to contend NEXT a year. If they are overly concerned with starting the arb clocks it will be pushed back at least a year.

Interested to see their approach. They said they wanted to trade for guys with a year left on their contracts to avoid free afent bidding wars. Wonder who.is on that list this winter?

I think that dictates their intentions

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2g8yjj5c said:
JS is impressing me..If Dunn can knock walks down
we have 2 Jerry wins with more to be determined.

sutz

Reaction score
OTOH, Kikuchi continues to disappoint. I really had hope for him. :229031_shrug:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":t4vf8bcc said:
Sports Hernia":t4vf8bcc said:
Uncle Si":t4vf8bcc said:
If they can go out and land another good starter and not d*ck around and with the arbitration clocks of the Kelenic’s, Gilbert’s, and Kirby’s of the world they might be good and ready to contend NEXT a year. If they are overly concerned with starting the arb clocks it will be pushed back at least a year.

Interested to see their approach. They said they wanted to trade for guys with a year left on their contracts to avoid free afent bidding wars. Wonder who.is on that list this winter?

They need to stop with the cheap approach. I’m not saying throw money blindly at FA’s but being worried about that should be way down on the list of priorities.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":8jctf5op said:
Uncle Si":8jctf5op said:
Sports Hernia":8jctf5op said:
Uncle Si":8jctf5op said:

They need to stop with the cheap approach. I’m not saying throw money blindly at FA’s but being worried about that should be way down on the list of priorities.
But they are on a schedule. On that schedule, this year is not the year to invest in high priced FAs on rental deals to make a last minute desperation run for the playoffs. Perhaps next summer, assuming the league is on a more normal schedule, we'll evaluate our situation and perhaps looking at buying a couple of guys if we really are in a playoff run.

All of the complaining about the arb clocks and such are talking out their nether regions. Yes, it makes sense to not waste any control over the players contracts going forward. Why waste a year or two of future player control to play them in 15 essentially meaningless games now? It doesn't make sense, not from a financial sense, but also not from a player development sense either.

Hell, I'm of an age that waiting another year or two might mean I won't be here to see it. But it has to be done right, or it won't happen at all.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3pthmjvx said:
Sports Hernia":3pthmjvx said:
Uncle Si":3pthmjvx said:
Sports Hernia":3pthmjvx said:

But they are on a schedule. On that schedule, this year is not the year to invest in high priced FAs on rental deals to make a last minute desperation run for the playoffs. Perhaps next summer, assuming the league is on a more normal schedule, we'll evaluate our situation and perhaps looking at buying a couple of guys if we really are in a playoff run.

All of the complaining about the arb clocks and such are talking out their nether regions. Yes, it makes sense to not waste any control over the players contracts going forward. Why waste a year or two of future player control to play them in 15 essentially meaningless games now? It doesn't make sense, not from a financial sense, but also not from a player development sense either.

Hell, I'm of an age that waiting another year or two might mean I won't be here to see it. But it has to be done right, or it won't happen at all.
No, I understand about not investing in FA THIS year, that would be dumb.

I was talking about Kelenic being up at the beginning of the year, now won’t do any good.

Under a normal year Kelenic would have been brought up in September like they did with Lewis last year.
One of my reasons for wanting Kelenic up was he would have consistent AB’s against live quality pitching everyday vs Hitting 65-70 Mph BP in Tacoma. Since there is no minor league season it could be argued not bringing him up has hindered his devolpment.

The Arb clock excuse thing is stupid IMHO as player rarely gets to Arbitration anyhow as the rookie contract is usually extended before the end of the contract. If Kelenic is as good as he’s going to be, he’s not sniffing arbitration. The Mariners won’t lose any years of “club control” as his rookie contract will be extended eventually. It’s only going to cost them money eventually.
Quality talent is going to cost them money. That’s the downfall of having great players, you have to pay them.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I got real excited when I thought Seager might be traded.

Kyle Lewis has been my great hope. The next great Mariner. His string of injuries in the minors had been so depressing but WOW. He's a stud.

I can't believe how well our rotation has held up. It's too bad we will miss the playoffs. But we at least keep the streak alive and actually have something to look forward to in 2021.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Im super excited for mariners baseball in 2021. I think if we get a starter and bullpen help, we break the streak.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":245wg275 said:
Im super excited for mariners baseball in 2021. I think if we get a starter and bullpen help, we break the streak.
Matters how much they dick around with the arb clock with Kelenic and others.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'm gonna take a shot every time you mention "are clock"