Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:10 am
  • Holy Shit..you guys got skinny Montero!

    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3947
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:42 am
    Location: New Joisey


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:22 am
  • Taking his craft seriously...finally!
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2834
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:43 am
  • He looks good but I hope he didn't lose power..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4022
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:06 am

Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:57 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:He looks good but I hope he didn't lose power..



    Yeah, I am sure that his belly fat contributed to his power numbers.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3092
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 pm
  • If he could live up to his potential with the bat and play a decent first base, that would be amazing.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16368
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:31 am
  • Man what a bonus that would be if were able to get production out of Montero.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2921
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:56 am
  • getnasty wrote:Man what a bonus that would be if were able to get production out of Montero.



    He will start in AAA Tacoma, and be there until someone gets hurt.

    That said, happy for Jesus. Kind of inspiring to be honest.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13727
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10 am
  • Interesting that Jesus is back down to his current weight for the first time since his last year with the Yankees. I knew he was heavy, but didn't realize he only became heavy after he came to Seattle.

    The guy was a perennial top-5 prospect with 30-40HR power and is only 25. If his attitude change is genuine, he could resurrect his career in a way I would have never imagined after the ice cream sandwich incident and the PEDs. Would make a great story, and would be a HUGE windfall for the Mariners.
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 am
  • getnasty wrote:Man what a bonus that would be if were able to get production out of Montero.

    It would be one of the biggest strokes of luck to happen to the Mariners in years.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:36 am
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Man what a bonus that would be if were able to get production out of Montero.

    It would be one of the biggest strokes of luck to happen to the Mariners in years.


    If anything it'll be interesting to see if Montero can produce, because we really don't know how long he was using PED's.

    I blame A-Rod.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13609
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:40 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Man what a bonus that would be if were able to get production out of Montero.

    It would be one of the biggest strokes of luck to happen to the Mariners in years.


    If anything it'll be interesting to see if Montero can produce, because we really don't know how long he was using PED's.

    I blame A-Rod.


    Spring Training will be interesting.

    There's no room for him at the big club right now, so he's really trying to play his way into the 2016 squad, and preparing for any IR call ups.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13727
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:50 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Man what a bonus that would be if were able to get production out of Montero.

    It would be one of the biggest strokes of luck to happen to the Mariners in years.


    If anything it'll be interesting to see if Montero can produce, because we really don't know how long he was using PED's.

    I blame A-Rod.

    Luckily he is still young and has a bit of time.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:42 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Man what a bonus that would be if were able to get production out of Montero.

    It would be one of the biggest strokes of luck to happen to the Mariners in years.


    If anything it'll be interesting to see if Montero can produce, because we really don't know how long he was using PED's.

    I blame A-Rod.


    Spring Training will be interesting.

    There's no room for him at the big club right now, so he's really trying to play his way into the 2016 squad, and preparing for any IR call ups.


    I highly doubt that. If he plays like he's capable of, he'll force the Ms to make room for him
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4000
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:56 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    I highly doubt that. If he plays like he's capable of, he'll force the Ms to make room for him


    Yep. Plenty of room, especially at 1st base. Does anyone really believe that Morrison is the answer at 1st base? Montero can play 1st, and DH if Cruz needs a rest or plays the outfield.

    But I do think Montero will have to prove it for at least half a season at Tacoma, and then maybe get called up after the All Star break.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13609
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:05 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:It would be one of the biggest strokes of luck to happen to the Mariners in years.


    If anything it'll be interesting to see if Montero can produce, because we really don't know how long he was using PED's.

    I blame A-Rod.


    Spring Training will be interesting.

    There's no room for him at the big club right now, so he's really trying to play his way into the 2016 squad, and preparing for any IR call ups.


    I highly doubt that. If he plays like he's capable of, he'll force the Ms to make room for him


    If by force that means letting LoMo go? Do you guys remember how well Morrison played at the end of last year?

    Truth is, noone knows what Montero's capabilities are, as he's never really flashed them. We are speculating he is still that prospect from the Yankees. He's not. He's 25. Its a shocking turn around for him. But its a long way to go before he's that guy we traded Pineda for.

    I'm happy he's made this change in his life, and he certainly provides options for the M's, especially if he develops throughout the year. But it is highly unlikely he breaks with the big club this season outside a late season call up or filling in for IR'd players. If he mashes in Tacoma and someone struggles, perhaps you can make a move. But that means moving a major league contract to AAA, which usually means that player simply refuses to go and requests to be dropped.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13727
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:28 am
  • Michael Saunders is out until the All-Star break with a torn meniscus suffered by tripping over a sprinkler head during drills.

    He's starting to feel like a less-dynamic Franklin Gutierrez. Talented player who just cannot ever, ever, ever stay healthy.
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 am
  • jkitsune wrote:Michael Saunders is out until the All-Star break with a torn meniscus suffered by tripping over a sprinkler head during drills.

    He's starting to feel like a less-dynamic Franklin Gutierrez. Talented player who just cannot ever, ever, ever stay healthy.


    Feel sorry for the kid, that sucks. Still damn glad it's not our problem.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2834
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:00 am
  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:Michael Saunders is out until the All-Star break with a torn meniscus suffered by tripping over a sprinkler head during drills.

    He's starting to feel like a less-dynamic Franklin Gutierrez. Talented player who just cannot ever, ever, ever stay healthy.


    Feel sorry for the kid, that sucks. Still damn glad it's not our problem.


    Yeah... Jack Z got one right it appears.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13727
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:10 am
  • Wow is that for real?

    That is exactly the reason why the M's were done with him. He cannot be trusted to stay healthy and he always finds a way to get hurt. Weird how some people are just like that.

    Can you imagine the frustration we'd have if the M's had just sat tight at RF with Saunders and this happened? Another year of Endy Chavez would be coming up. Glad that Z decided to do something different even though he got blasted for dumping Saunders.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16368
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:13 am
  • Just imagine if we had signed Josh Hamilton...http://espn.go.com/mlb/.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:18 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:Wow is that for real?

    That is exactly the reason why the M's were done with him. He cannot be trusted to stay healthy and he always finds a way to get hurt. Weird how some people are just like that.

    Can you imagine the frustration we'd have if the M's had just sat tight at RF with Saunders and this happened? Another year of Endy Chavez would be coming up. Glad that Z decided to do something different even though he got blasted for dumping Saunders.


    I have very mixed feelings about labeling players a 'injury-prone.' There is very little scientific data to suggest that certain players suddenly develop an affinity to being injured that is not due purely to random chance that is unpredictable, unless it is due to significant underlying medical issues. That said, it certainly is true that some people's bodies age less well than others, some people's bones are more durable than others, etc. I always have trouble with the idea that 'injury-proneness' is an attribute that can be quantified and predicted. As such, using it to justify undervaluing Saunders is hard for me.

    That being said, players like Saunders and Gutierrez have such a proclivity for injuries, including these weird fluke ones, that it does genuinely feel like it defies logic and reason.

    While I don't think you can use an injury like that to retrospectively justify the trade, and I still think we probably didn't get as much as Saunders could've been worth, the Mariners' decision to cut bait turned out to be a stroke of good luck for an organization that badly needs it. Just like in poker, sometimes you don't make the play that has the highest probability of success, but it's your gut and you go with it and you win. More often than not, going with your 'gut' against the odds is not the right choice.

    Sometimes you get lucky. The M's got lucky. Sadly, Saunders didn't. Hope he recovers.
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 pm
  • jkitsune wrote:
    I have very mixed feelings about labeling players a 'injury-prone.' There is very little scientific data to suggest that certain players suddenly develop an affinity to being injured that is not due purely to random chance that is unpredictable, unless it is due to significant underlying medical issues. That said, it certainly is true that some people's bodies age less well than others, some people's bones are more durable than others, etc. I always have trouble with the idea that 'injury-proneness' is an attribute that can be quantified and predicted. As such, using it to justify undervaluing Saunders is hard for me.

    That being said, players like Saunders and Gutierrez have such a proclivity for injuries, including these weird fluke ones, that it does genuinely feel like it defies logic and reason.

    While I don't think you can use an injury like that to retrospectively justify the trade, and I still think we probably didn't get as much as Saunders could've been worth, the Mariners' decision to cut bait turned out to be a stroke of good luck for an organization that badly needs it. Just like in poker, sometimes you don't make the play that has the highest probability of success, but it's your gut and you go with it and you win. More often than not, going with your 'gut' against the odds is not the right choice.

    Sometimes you get lucky. The M's got lucky. Sadly, Saunders didn't. Hope he recovers.


    Very well put. I know that Saunders was much loved by many Ms fans who were butthurt that he was traded. But after watching Guti tantalizingly tease us every year with his talent only to end up in the hospital (again, not his fault really) I was just ready to move on, personally. And so I had no patience for Saunders--a similar player with similar issues but with less raw talent.

    Glad Guti's back on a minor league deal, and I hope that he makes the team on the bench. But every day he plays I'll just consider it a "+1" addition to his career games played total with no expectation for another +1 after the final out is called in the game.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2834
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 pm
  • I know its only spring training but DJ Peterson with a homer in his first at bat!
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3342
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: The Shoug


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:I know its only spring training but DJ Peterson with a homer in his first at bat!

    Reportedly it was on the 1st pitch.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:06 pm
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:I know its only spring training but DJ Peterson with a homer in his first at bat!

    Reportedly it was on the 1st pitch.


    1st or 2nd. Fast enough that I didn't actually see him approach the plate--was working on something. Then Sims voice started getting loud, looked up to see it line drive over the fence. Nice!

    Montero looking GOOOOOD as well.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2834
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:07 pm
  • Last I heard he was 2-2.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:19 am
  • Montero's wake-up call came in the form of an ice-cream bar. That was a turning point--he could've ate it (I'm sure he wanted to).
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/10/11194382/sonics-arena-public-hearing-tip-off
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/7/11 ... l-vacation
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @George_OGorman
    User avatar
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2303
    Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:21 pm
  • Hultzen pitched today 1 in 12p/8 strikes..Good to see the guy is on the road back..GO M'S!
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4022
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:27 am
  • Really good to see Hultzen return to the mound. He was dripping with potential before the injury, and he's worked really, really hard to get back out there. Here's hoping he can revive a promising career.
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:51 pm
  • Man am I ready for the season.......
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20862
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:34 pm
  • Taylor is out 4-6 weeks so it looks like Miller will be the opening day SS.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:58 am
  • mbtitleist wrote:Taylor is out 4-6 weeks so it looks like Miller will be the opening day SS.


    Thats a bummer. Miller and Taylor have been looking good with the bats
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3441
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:12 am
  • Atradees wrote:
    mbtitleist wrote:Taylor is out 4-6 weeks so it looks like Miller will be the opening day SS.


    Thats a bummer. Miller and Taylor have been looking good with the bats


    Yeah. Hate to see that happen, but fortunately it sounds like it's not terribly serious. Should be back to baseball in mid/late April. Both players are really exciting.

    I just wish it was 4/4 already. Hurry up, March!
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:32 am
  • Atradees wrote:
    mbtitleist wrote:Taylor is out 4-6 weeks so it looks like Miller will be the opening day SS.


    Thats a bummer. Miller and Taylor have been looking good with the bats


    I guess that makes the decision easy for them. Losing the chance at the job to injury.. bummer for Taylor.
    We all we got! We all we need!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1105
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm
    Location: Everett, Washington


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:23 pm
  • I was a all state baseball player back in the day and have loved the game my entire life, been a ms fan since I was a kid. I have not seen more then 10 games in the last 4 years. mainly because I am crazy busy and do not have cable, also because I was disgusted with how the team was being run, not being competitive for 10+ years was simply not ok with me. With that being said can you guys give me the cliff notes version on our current team?
    User avatar
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 713
    Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:07 am
  • Ambrose83 wrote:I was a all state baseball player back in the day and have loved the game my entire life, been a ms fan since I was a kid. I have not seen more then 10 games in the last 4 years. mainly because I am crazy busy and do not have cable, also because I was disgusted with how the team was being run, not being competitive for 10+ years was simply not ok with me. With that being said can you guys give me the cliff notes version on our current team?

    If they stay healthy they should contend for the World Series. :)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23832
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:50 am
  • Ambrose83 wrote:I was a all state baseball player back in the day and have loved the game my entire life, been a ms fan since I was a kid. I have not seen more then 10 games in the last 4 years. mainly because I am crazy busy and do not have cable, also because I was disgusted with how the team was being run, not being competitive for 10+ years was simply not ok with me. With that being said can you guys give me the cliff notes version on our current team?


    They ain't Cliff's Notes, but a good preview is here:

    http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2015/3/16/8224707/2015-seattle-mariners-season-preview
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2834
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:46 am
  • This is the first spring in over ten that I'm believing.
    User avatar
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9886
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:56 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:I was a all state baseball player back in the day and have loved the game my entire life, been a ms fan since I was a kid. I have not seen more then 10 games in the last 4 years. mainly because I am crazy busy and do not have cable, also because I was disgusted with how the team was being run, not being competitive for 10+ years was simply not ok with me. With that being said can you guys give me the cliff notes version on our current team?


    Last year our pitching let up the fewest runs in the whole league and that was with Paxton and Walker only putting in a little over 100 innings combined. If they can stay healthy this year our pitching staff will be awesome. Fernando Rodney led the league in saves, even if it is a roller coaster ride with him at times.

    We finally got rid of Justin Smoak and we added Nelson Cruz so we have a legit 3-4-5 with Cano, Cruz and Seager. Seager was selected to his first All-Star team last year and won his first Gold Glove. They're basically going with platoons in LF and RF (even though Lloyd doesn't like that word) and have Austin Jackson in CF. Brad Miller won the SS competition this spring by default when Chris Taylor broke his wrist. Zunino is behind the plate and the kid has a ton of power, but he still has many areas to improve. He ended the year right around .200, strikes out way too often, and had more HBP's than he did walks.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:56 pm
  • Anybody else watching the game right now? This is the first time I've been able to actually watch Walker this season and he looks good. Really good.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm
  • mbtitleist wrote:Anybody else watching the game right now? This is the first time I've been able to actually watch Walker this season and he looks good. Really good.



    Barring injury he'll be our 2nd starting pitcher in the rotation by July. Maybe way earlier if his competition has injuries/issues.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2834
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:31 pm
  • I just hope Felix, Paxton, Iwakuma and Walker are able to stay healthy this year. If that happens this team could do great things.

    And Walker is done for the day. 6 IP, 6 K's, 1 BB, 0 runs allowed. I believe that's 18 innings he's pitched this spring and has yet to allow a run.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:17 pm
  • M's prospect Victor Sanchez passed away today. struck by a boat last month and went into coma. So sad. He had a bright future.
    "Whoever drafts Golden Tate is gonna win the Super Bowl" - Me
    User avatar
    Lithium
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2100
    Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:01 pm


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm
  • Lithium wrote:M's prospect Victor Sanchez passed away today. struck by a boat last month and went into coma. So sad. He had a bright future.

    Sad day indeed.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23832
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:10 pm
  • Taijuan Walker with another great outing today. He finally let up his first run on a solo HR but cruised after that, retiring the last 17 hitters he faced and a final line of 7 IP, 1 ER, 5 K's and no walks. Zunino continues to show his power with his 7th home run of the spring. I know it's only spring training and I obviously don't expect him to hit .350 this year like he has this spring but if he can carry some of this over into the regular season it will be a welcome addition.

    At this point I honestly think watching Brad Miller throw to 1st base will give me more worries than anything else on this team right now.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Mariners Offseason Thread 2014-2015
Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:39 am
  • mbtitleist wrote:Taijuan Walker with another great outing today. He finally let up his first run on a solo HR but cruised after that, retiring the last 17 hitters he faced and a final line of 7 IP, 1 ER, 5 K's and no walks. Zunino continues to show his power with his 7th home run of the spring. I know it's only spring training and I obviously don't expect him to hit .350 this year like he has this spring but if he can carry some of this over into the regular season it will be a welcome addition.

    At this point I honestly think watching Brad Miller throw to 1st base will give me more worries than anything else on this team right now.


    Im so excited for this team minus Brad Miller and Austin Jackson. I never got the fan love for Brad Miller. He is a below-average shortstop that fans seem to feel attachment for, for some odd reason
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4000
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests