If the NFL can send teams to England... why can't the MLS?

korboko

Reaction score
We saw Manchester United come to Seattle and play against the Sounders, I don't see why can't the MLS send teams to England and play against teams in the Premier League. Sure, MLS teams would probably get their asses handed to them but I would kinda want to see MLS teams cross the pond and play EPL teams. We already saw EPL teams come to America and play.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NASLs MN United did a tour this last summer, playing Derby at one point. I know the Red Bulls have played in Arsenals preseason tournament as well..

In the end I don't imagine the English fans are all that curious about MLS teams. due to the calendar differences MLS teams would be giving regular season game up to play there and again I cant see the interest to warrant that move

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The same reason NFL Europe didn't send teams here.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Schedules run differently. No European team will ever play an MLS team in the middle of their season, maybe their B or development teams. European teams usually make a fair amount of money in appearance fees when they come to the states for their preseason friendlies.

chris98251

Reaction score
piles-of-money.png

Those teams don't come here for free, and to go there to entice attendance who is going to pony up that money?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Because, with respect, not many people in the UK could name an MLS team never mind get off their arse and go and watch them.

I believe that Team USA are playing Colombia at Fulham FC tomorrow and I'd be very surprised if that was well attended.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2jjji2a7 said:
Because, with respect, not many people in the UK could name an MLS team never mind get off their arse and go and watch them.

I believe that Team USA are playing Colombia at Fulham FC tomorrow and I'd be very surprised if that was well attended.

Game is the 14th (I had to look it up)..

Strange one that is. Where's England going to be?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The reason for "friendlies" is to expand your brand and make money.

Big clubs travel in order to expand their brands, attract new fans and make money. When the Sounders host big clubs like Man U, Chelsea or Barca? Those big clubs get the lion's share of ticket sales.

So going in reverse wouldn't work. No one in Europe or South America is going to pay money to see the Sounders play one of their clubs.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1rql89eh said:
UK_Seahawk":1rql89eh said:

Game is the 14th (I had to look it up)..

Strange one that is. Where's England going to be?

England play the day after at Wembley in a qualifier for Euro 2016.

Fox apparently has the rights to the FA cup this year and they will be showing Braintree Town V Chesterfield if you guys want to see some proper football.

uk seahawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":32hdul79 said:

I agree with this..yet English fans could name a nfl team and either support or have a soft spot for a nfl team.
as an arsenal fan I was not happy we played red bulls in new York..was it to support the fans or support the boards bank balance..could a MLS team play in Europe..no..likewise could a nfl team play in England..i doubt it..but more chance of that working than soccer in my opinion.
go hawks

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3fb450vz said:
Fox apparently has the rights to the FA cup this year and they will be showing Braintree Town V Chesterfield if you guys want to see some proper football.

You just made those names up....

is it first round? (or 6th round if you will).

Also, any ideas of what clubs (or more, what levels of cubs) are entering squads in the FA Youth Cup?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3aa5o9ue said:

Big clubs travel in order to expand their brands, attract new fans and make money. When the Sounders host big clubs like Man U, Chelsea or Barca? Those big clubs get the lion's share of ticket sales.

So going in reverse wouldn't work. No one in Europe or South America is going to pay money to see the Sounders play one of their clubs.

Well this isnt entirely true. I'm certain supporters will come out to see their own clubs for any game. However, it would not have the allure and draw as it does here because the product there is so much better. I think more than anything is what would the motivation be for the MLS clubs. Have to figure teams like Fulham, West Brom, Southampton (decent Premier teams who dont come to the US) would be hosting, and doubt they would give up much of their ticket sales to the visiting club, as really they would be the attraction.

What certainly would not work is two MLS teams playing each other.

OP
OP
K

korboko

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":16hf63hq said:

Uh... why is the US and Colombia having a international friendly outside of their home countries on a another continent? Shouldn't they be playing in their own nations?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
korboko":2x762w6u said:
UK_Seahawk":2x762w6u said:

Uh... why is the US and Colombia having a international friendly outside of their home countries on a another continent? Shouldn't they be playing in their own nations?

Only thing I can think of is the domestic league for the US is still going on during the international break. Other than that, yes, its curious.

Might just be to get the boys out and seeing the world?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2o13ubb0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2o13ubb0 said:

Well this isnt entirely true. I'm certain supporters will come out to see their own clubs for any game. However, it would not have the allure and draw as it does here because the product there is so much better. I think more than anything is what would the motivation be for the MLS clubs. Have to figure teams like Fulham, West Brom, Southampton (decent Premier teams who dont come to the US) would be hosting, and doubt they would give up much of their ticket sales to the visiting club, as really they would be the attraction.r.

The product is actually pretty equal because when the big clubs come here during the summer it's their preseason and the middle of our regular season. That's why you see a lot of MLS teams playing very well against superior opponents. The Sounders drew 3-3 against Tottenham this past summer.

Which brings up another reason this wouldn't work in reverse. The MLS preseason is January-March, which is the middle of the season for the top leagues.........and those teams couldn't be bothered with playing MLS friendlies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1l8z2d7m said:
Uncle Si":1l8z2d7m said:
Sgt. Largent":1l8z2d7m said:

Well this isnt entirely true. I'm certain supporters will come out to see their own clubs for any game. However, it would not have the allure and draw as it does here because the product there is so much better. I think more than anything is what would the motivation be for the MLS clubs. Have to figure teams like Fulham, West Brom, Southampton (decent Premier teams who dont come to the US) would be hosting, and doubt they would give up much of their ticket sales to the visiting club, as really they would be the attraction.r.

The product is actually pretty equal because when the big clubs come here during the summer it's their preseason and the middle of our regular season. That's why you see a lot of MLS teams playing very well against superior opponents. The Sounders drew 3-3 against Tottenham this past summer.

Which brings up another reason this wouldn't work in reverse. The MLS preseason is January-March, which is the middle of the season for the top leagues.........and those teams couldn't be bothered with playing MLS friendlies.

I think you misunderstood what I meant... I think plenty of English club supporters would turn out to their local arenas to watch their team play anyone, MLS team or whomever.

When the top teams come out here to the US they are usually a steady stream of reserves mixed with regulars, moreso this year due to the World Cup. you really only see something close to their top teams when they play each other. When the top team wants to play its top talent, you get United 8, Seattle 0. Spurs played a mix, 3-3. So you may get a more competitive match, but its more due to the product on the field not being its highest potential. still, a great game by all accounts, and Spurs finished with a strong side if i recall

I agree it wouldnt work in reverse, unless MLS teams are willing to take time from their league schedule (as they do now) to travel to Europe. Not every MLS team had a European friendly. But the MLS would have to make the concession there.

Or.. they could just change their ridiculous scheduling

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ypyjdwv said:
Or.. they could just change their ridiculous scheduling

I'm a Sounders season ticket holder, and I have to strongly disagree with this sentiment.

The MLS would get crushed if it played during the winter trying to compete with the NFL, college football, hockey and basketball.......not to mention the nasty weather turning casual fans away from attending matches.

IMO the summer is the perfect time for the MLS. Good weather and not much sports competition to compete with for eye balls and attendance.

In a perfect world yes the MLS should be on the same schedule as other top leagues, but this is a league trying to grow and attract casual sports fans into soccer fans.........and it'd make that VERY difficult to do if it played in the winter.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am waiting for the Soccer teams in Europe to start an aggressive stance against the NFL soon, playing exhibition games is one thing once a year, moving to multiple games with the intent of founding a team or teams there is a different story. Isn't the season in direct competition with the teams playing soccer there?

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30xkrcua said:
korboko":30xkrcua said:
UK_Seahawk":30xkrcua said:

Only thing I can think of is the domestic league for the US is still going on during the international break. Other than that, yes, its curious.

Might just be to get the boys out and seeing the world?

Game is during the MLS Playoffs I believe.

Smurf

Reaction score
chris98251":v0hg08u9 said:
I am waiting for the Soccer teams in Europe to start an aggressive stance against the NFL soon, playing exhibition games is one thing once a year, moving to multiple games with the intent of founding a team or teams there is a different story. Isn't the season in direct competition with the teams playing soccer there?

It's already started. Englands Manager came out the other day and said he didn't want NFL games played at Wembley anymore because of pitch concerns...

Latest posts