Man I miss the Seattle Supersonics....

irocdave

Reaction score
My two sons love basketball and have no idea what the SSS's meant to Seattle fans. I have tried to explain to them how fun it was watching them in the 90's, they just look at me and say things like "isn't Lebron the best player though" or MJ was better, wasn't he?? I haven't watched a game on TV since the Sonics where railroaded out of town (yea I get both sides but dam, still don't understand why the NBA helped make this happen) but feel partially to blame. My kids don't know the history of BB in Seattle.

My oldest son ( 10 YO) has to do a biography for something he cares about for school. Seahawks and M's have already been taken so he picked Shawn Kemp. He chose Shawn Kemp because my wife recommended him. She loved watching him in the 90's. Sucks that I have had to choose youtube videos for him to understand how awesome Shawn and Garry were. He has no idea about how fun the SSS's were to watch and cheer for.

After watching several you tube clips of the Sonics I come away depressed. Wish and hope for the Sonics return to Seattle.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I miss the Sonics, I don't miss the NBA. I hope the NBA dies a quick and painful death as a league.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
If there was ever a team and city, Seattle deserves a basketball team, no question. Not sure who had the avatar on this site but it was always such a nut punch to see Durant and Westbrook in Sonics uniforms. Don't know much about the F up with the whole thing except that everyone hates Stern,,, wish Mr Allen could have saved the Sonics too.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Football is my 3rd favorite sport. I refuse to watch the NBA on a daily basis now.

So depressing.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sonics will always be my favorite sports team, and I miss the hell out of em.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
irocdave":1xernxkf said:
My two sons love basketball and have no idea what the SSS's meant to Seattle fans. I have tried to explain to them how fun it was watching them in the 90's, they just look at me and say things like "isn't Lebron the best player though" or MJ was better, wasn't he?? I haven't watched a game on TV since the Sonics where railroaded out of town (yea I get both sides but dam, still don't understand why the NBA helped make this happen) but feel partially to blame. My kids don't know the history of BB in Seattle.

My oldest son ( 10 YO) has to do a biography for something he cares about for school. Seahawks and M's have already been taken so he picked Shawn Kemp. He chose Shawn Kemp because my wife recommended him. She loved watching him in the 90's. Sucks that I have had to choose youtube videos for him to understand how awesome Shawn and Garry were. He has no idea about how fun the SSS's were to watch and cheer for.

After watching several you tube clips of the Sonics I come away depressed. Wish and hope for the Sonics return to Seattle.
I Saw them in the 70's and early 80's then moved - it was really fun watching them win the title..So many good memories and then Stern helped making them move..Now the bastard has gone away and I do watch a little of Cavs -my new team but it's really not the same for me anymore..Greed has taken a lot from the pro sports..The games are changing and it isn't better by far...

Tical21

Reaction score
Throwdown":3goq3sfd said:
Sonics will always be my favorite sports team, and I miss the hell out of em.
What that guy said. lt sucks man. I watched 82 games per year since I was born, even when we were bad. I still haven't come to terms with the fact that they're gone. How in the world did all these parties let that happen? I still try to watch a little bit when I can, but it sucks that all the ex-Huskies are on bad teams that are never on national tv. My heart just isn't in it. If I ever see Stern, Bennett or Schultz, you're going to see their attacker on Sportscenter, I don't care how long they throw me in the pokey.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
OMW to Portland right now with Sonics hat ready for tonights game vs Bulls

byau

Reaction score
Hear hear. I'm a Sonics guy first, Seahawks guy second. I really miss my Sonics.

What sucks the most: if you look up Supersonics on ebay, Durant stuff keeps coming up. Not just SuperSonics Durant, but OKC crap too.

Btw, I've put out the OKC Curse: Please keep it in mind when you think of the Sonics: OKC will never win a title until the SuperSonics are back in Seattle. Book it.

(Paying tribute at my company's annual basketball game - company colors are blue/gold and I knew I'd clash, but you gotta do what you gotta do)

byau-supersonics.jpg

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1bq3fgxr said:
I miss the Sonics, I don't miss the NBA. I hope the NBA dies a quick and painful death as a league.

exactly how I feel. Loved the sups. season tix holder saw literally hundreds of games. the NBA is dead to me.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It's hard to believe it's been about 7 years since they've been gone. I think when I say this, I speak for most people, but I've moved past the hatred and bitterness towards the NBA. Time heals everything.

I would welcome the NBA back in a heartbeat, and I still watch it quite a bit. I no longer hate OKC like I used to, but I still never root for them.

On a good note, it sounds very likely that Durant will leave OKC and could have played his last game for them. I think he goes back home to play for the Wizards in DC.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I watch everyday...

My blasphemy is I love Ibaka but will never root for his team to win.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Sonics were my first love in sports. When I was about 7 I started watching when Kemp and Payton were on the team. I also recall guys like Ricky Pierce, Eddie Johnson (a vastly underrated player), Dana Barros, Derrick Mckey, and Michael Cage.

Basketball is such an exciting sport to watch. The ball moves around so quickly it makes anxious and excited all the time. I love it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":lbzqgx3x said:
Don't know much about the F up with the whole thing except that everyone hates Stern,,, wish Mr .

Schultz asked for a new arena, city and county said no, Stern got involved, city and county pissed him off, Schultz sold to Satan.........I mean Clay Bennett who let Stern put the Hornets in the Ford Arena after Katrina, so as thanks Stern and Bennett hatched a plan to move the Sonics to OKC by making outrageous demands for improvements to Key Arena that they knew wouldn't be met or else. Or else happened.

The End.

I don't blame Stern, I don't even blame Bennett for being the slimy lying snake he was. I blame Schultz for being so naive that he actually believed Stern and Bennett when they told him they'd never move the Sonics. How does a guy as business smart as Schultz not realize that a bunch of good ol' boys from Oklahoma wouldn't try to move the team? Idiot.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ryf2udg8 said:
seahawkfreak":ryf2udg8 said:
Don't know much about the F up with the whole thing except that everyone hates Stern,,, wish Mr .

Schultz asked for a new arena, city and county said no, Stern got involved, city and county pissed him off, Schultz sold to Satan.........I mean Clay Bennett who let Stern put the Hornets in the Ford Arena after Katrina, so as thanks Stern and Bennett hatched a plan to move the Sonics to OKC by making outrageous demands for improvements to Key Arena that they knew wouldn't be met or else. Or else happened.

The End.

I don't blame Stern, I don't even blame Bennett for being the slimy lying snake he was. I blame Schultz for being so naive that he actually believed Stern and Bennett when they told him they'd never move the Sonics. How does a guy as business smart as Schultz not realize that a bunch of good ol' boys from Oklahoma wouldn't try to move the team? Idiot.
There is no shortage of blame to go around. Shultz, The Seattle government, the Washington state government........ I hope Clay Clay and Stern both are the first men to die from a scorching case of Herpes!

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I was a huge Sonics fan, but I've stopped hoping they will return. Grew up on Kemp and Payton. My dad's company had season tickets and before the season he'd lay out the schedule and i'd pick four or five games to go to. .

The Sonics remain the only sports team to ever make me cry, I was 10 when they lost to the Nuggets. Was listening to the game on a Walkman while at Woodland Park Zoo with my family. I still remember being in absolute shock and choking out, "They lost....they lost."

Sucks they are gone. I love basketball.

Latest posts