Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread
Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 pm
  • I figure it's time for a new thread for the new year.

Seattle's home opener has been announced. Sunday, March 8, 6:30pm PT, vs. New England Revolution, televised nationally on Fox Sports 1.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread
Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:07 pm
  • Any chance that the Sounders will be part of Man U's US tour this year?
    korboko
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:17 pm
  • korboko wrote:Any chance that the Sounders will be part of Man U's US tour this year?

Unlikely. From what I gather the sounders are rather sour after United broke a gentlemans agreement during the last friendly I wouldn't think they are coming back anytime soon.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:01 pm
  • MLS has released the full 2015 schedule. Sounders have 12 matches slated for national television. May is the busiest month with 6 league matches. 4 of the final 6 matches are on the road.

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2015/01/ ... 5-schedule
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:59 pm
  • Darwin Jones (Striker/Winger) is going to be signed to a Home Grown contract tomorrow.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:04 am
  • Smurf wrote:Darwin Jones (Striker/Winger) is going to be signed to a Home Grown contract tomorrow.

This is official... FYI.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:36 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Darwin Jones (Striker/Winger) is going to be signed to a Home Grown contract tomorrow.

This is official... FYI.

I heard he is like a Neagle lite. Is that true?
    MLTHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 am
  • MLTHawk wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Darwin Jones (Striker/Winger) is going to be signed to a Home Grown contract tomorrow.

This is official... FYI.

I heard he is like a Neagle lite. Is that true?

I am always really hesitant to compare players....especially guys like Neagle.

Jones is fast. More of a pure striker. He can get in behind and has a nose for goal. He probably could have joined us in 2012 cause he is that talented but he wanted play it out at UW for the playing time. He will get a lot of minutes with S2 while he prepares to join the first team. I don't think he will be getting first team minutes for a season or two.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:20 pm

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:30 pm
  • Perkins sounds like a good add as a backup or insurance to Frei.

I was looking at the Sounders team roster - http://www.soundersfc.com/players, surprised to see Zach Scott on it. Didn't he retire after the season?
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:29 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Perkins sounds like a good add as a backup or insurance to Frei.

I was looking at the Sounders team roster - http://www.soundersfc.com/players, surprised to see Zach Scott on it. Didn't he retire after the season?

Nope, didn't retire. He is back for one more season.

Perkins is decent. Was hoping for someone younger...but he will get the job done.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:18 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:Sounders making a move for Sacha Kljestan?

https://mobile.twitter.com/SoccerByIves ... 1423232000

Decent player. I'd welcome a guy like Kljestan here.

While Kljestan might be a nice add...do the Sounders need to invest in another midfielder? There's a logjam there already with Alonso, Pappa, Pineda, Rose, Azira, Evans, Kovar, Neagle, and Long. They need to start building their back defense positions. I'd like to see some acquisitions there (bringing in Mears was a start).
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:55 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

While Kljestan might be a nice add...do the Sounders need to invest in another midfielder? There's a logjam there already with Alonso, Pappa, Pineda, Rose, Azira, Evans, Kovar, Neagle, and Long. They need to start building their back defense positions. I'd like to see some acquisitions there (bringing in Mears was a start).

Yes.

Kovar is turning into more of a Left back prospect than a kid we will see get minute in the first team at LM. Kovar will probably spend most of the season with S2.

Long isn't a player I expect to be with us come week 1....and if he is its probably with S2. I'd be shocked to see him.

While we are deep in the midfield in general....its kind of a log jam in the middle of the park. We have 6 guys who play CM...for 5 of them CM is their best spot on the team sheet....Evans can really play anywhere on the park we need him to.

That leaves Pappa, Evans, Kovar and Neagle as our outside options....which is really not that much....you noticed last year we played Cooper and Barrett outside a bunch...not exactly where I want those 2 to be on a consistent basis. We are fairly weak at outside mid. Neagle and Pappa both lack defensive work rate. Kovar isn't quite up to the quality we need.

Kjlestan is a guy who has some attacking ability and but doesn't sacrifice too much on the defensive side (he's WAY better than pappa on defense). He can play outside, as well as fill in at the inside if we need him too.

Kjlestan may not seem like a huge need but he's a quality player who will join us at the right price. He will add solid depth to our roster.

Also need to remember that we are adding more fixtures to our schedule this year with CCL and will need to use more roster rotation...especially if guys can't stay healthy.....on that note I expect to see A BUNCH of Andy Rose.

I do agree, we need to add some more depth along the backline, we look a little thin there, but that can change quickly.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 pm
  • I would be very disappointed if they move up in allocation to play Kjlestan wide. The Sounders need a guy who can slot in next to Ozzie and if you bring Kjlestan in that's where you put him, he's a good box to box guy, and he's an upgrade over Pineda in defense.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:19 pm
  • Kjlestan is a good fit for us regardless of where they play him. He'll get minutes
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 am
  • Agreed.

What do you make of the Samuel Eto'o rumor? Silly season exaggerations? or do you think he was legitimately a target at one point.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:21 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

Yes.

Kovar is turning into more of a Left back prospect than a kid we will see get minute in the first team at LM. Kovar will probably spend most of the season with S2.

Long isn't a player I expect to be with us come week 1....and if he is its probably with S2. I'd be shocked to see him.

While we are deep in the midfield in general....its kind of a log jam in the middle of the park. We have 6 guys who play CM...for 5 of them CM is their best spot on the team sheet....Evans can really play anywhere on the park we need him to.

That leaves Pappa, Evans, Kovar and Neagle as our outside options....which is really not that much....you noticed last year we played Cooper and Barrett outside a bunch...not exactly where I want those 2 to be on a consistent basis. We are fairly weak at outside mid. Neagle and Pappa both lack defensive work rate. Kovar isn't quite up to the quality we need.

Kjlestan is a guy who has some attacking ability and but doesn't sacrifice too much on the defensive side (he's WAY better than pappa on defense). He can play outside, as well as fill in at the inside if we need him too.

Kjlestan may not seem like a huge need but he's a quality player who will join us at the right price. He will add solid depth to our roster.

Also need to remember that we are adding more fixtures to our schedule this year with CCL and will need to use more roster rotation...especially if guys can't stay healthy.....on that note I expect to see A BUNCH of Andy Rose.

I do agree, we need to add some more depth along the backline, we look a little thin there, but that can change quickly.

Thanks for the explanation Smurf. Looking at this after your explanation, it makes sense to bring in Kljestan. Especially if he can help out defensively as well as attack.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 am
  • knownone wrote:Agreed.

What do you make of the Samuel Eto'o rumor? Silly season exaggerations? or do you think he was legitimately a target at one point.

I think it was a legitimate target and then we hit delays with the CBA. I am pretty sure we went into that negotiation betting on the CBA being finished and having a 4th DP slot to use.

its hard to make any big money moves without knowing what the new CBA will bring especially if your current big money avenues are already filled.

Do we really need Eto'o? No....would it be awesome? YES.

I guess the NASL's New York Cosmos are trying to sign him right now as well.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:49 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation Smurf. Looking at this after your explanation, it makes sense to bring in Kljestan. Especially if he can help out defensively as well as attack.

No problem dude.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:11 pm
  • Eto'o and Klejstan?

When did the Sounders become the resting place of former soccer players.

Eto'o is used up. he'd look worse than what Dempsey did last year (and that was bad enough). he has 4 goals in all competitions and hasnt scored since a brace on 10/26. he literally is taking up space at Everton.

Klejstan is just recycled i feel. i mean did they try for Diskeruud first?. no denying that talent exists,, but Sacsha was just dead set on never living up to potential. hes slow on the ball, despite his technical ability, doesnt see his surroundings well and to make it all worse struggles to want to pass a ball. and thats on offense. once he has been dispossessed he might as well join you on the couch.

sure, both have experience at high levels, but i think Dempsey last year proved that what once a player was is not always what he will be. i'd love for the Sounders to be thinking more dynamically than this.

Klejstan maybe as he can fill numerous roles. Eto'o will be Jermaine Defoe
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm
  • Sounders trade up to #16 in the superdraft today and select UW star Christian Roldan.

Big get for us. Roldan is a CM who has fantastic touch on the ball. Will get to learn behind Alonso and Co.

Couldn't be happier with this selection.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Eto'o and Klejstan?

Eto'o is used up. he'd look worse than what Dempsey did last year (and that was bad enough). he has 4 goals in all competitions and hasnt scored since a brace on 10/26. he literally is taking up space at Everton.

Klejstan is just recycled i feel. i mean did they try for Diskeruud first?. no denying that talent exists,, but Sacsha was just dead set on never living up to potential. hes slow on the ball, despite his technical ability, doesnt see his surroundings well and to make it all worse struggles to want to pass a ball. and thats on offense. once he has been dispossessed he might as well join you on the couch.

sure, both have experience at high levels, but i think Dempsey last year proved that what once a player was is not always what he will be. i'd love for the Sounders to be thinking more dynamically than this.

Diskeruud wasn't in the cards. We were in the wrong spot in allocation and NYCFC wasn't willing to move (from reports some teams tried REALLY hard). Diskeruud also is way more expensive than Klejstan.

Eto'o isn't coming. Its just not happening.

Klejstan is possible.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Sounders trade up to #16 in the superdraft today and select UW star Christian Roldan.

Big get for us. Roldan is a CM who has fantastic touch on the ball. Will get to learn behind Alonso and Co.

Roldan is a very good attacking/box to box mid. be interesting to see how is game develops in the MLS. built a bit like Alonso (not racist) but more attack minded.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:21 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Eto'o and Klejstan?

Diskeruud wasn't in the cards. We were in the wrong spot in allocation and NYCFC wasn't willing to move (from reports some teams tried REALLY hard). Diskeruud also is way more expensive than Klejstan.

Eto'o isn't coming. Its just not happening.

Klejstan is possible.

fair enough.. but the question isnt whether the two are coming but why? neither should be considered good enough in my mind. unless Klejstan's approach has changed in Belgium
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:42 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Sounders trade up to #16 in the superdraft today and select UW star Christian Roldan.

Roldan is a very good attacking/box to box mid. be interesting to see how is game develops in the MLS. built a bit like Alonso (not racist) but more attack minded.

Especially with S2 he should get some solid minutes, and with his college teammate Darwin Jones up top there will be familiarity.

Really excited about this kid.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:49 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    fair enough.. but the question isnt whether the two are coming but why? neither should be considered good enough in my mind. unless Klejstan's approach has changed in Belgium

It has somewhat. He's not the same player that was with the USMNT and with Chivas USA a couple of years ago. He's more apt to defend than he once was. Play him in the middle or out wide. He will be a solid rotational squad member. He makes us a deeper team, and with CCL we need some more quality bodies.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:16 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

It has somewhat. He's not the same player that was with the USMNT and with Chivas USA a couple of years ago. He's more apt to defend than he once was. Play him in the middle or out wide. He will be a solid rotational squad member. He makes us a deeper team, and with CCL we need some more quality bodies.

I worry about his approach. there is a reason he hasnt really stuck in anywhere he has been. mixing that with a Dempsey may be too much for one side.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:23 pm
  • Sounders trade up again and select GK Tyler Miller.

I had heard he was heading to Europe....but If we can sign him and get him here it would be a solid pick up. Would be starting GK of S2 i believe.

We also drafted O'Neil Fisher with our last pick. Fisher is a CDM/RB.
    Last edited by Smurf on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:50 pm
  • LA appears to be making a move for Kljestan. They just moved Sarvas away for #3 allocation order spot and $$.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:35 pm
  • Jozy to TFC looks a done deal (he flew into Toronto earlier today). They are also rumored to be signing Sebastian Giovinco.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:40 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Jozy to TFC looks a done deal (he flew into Toronto earlier today). They are also rumored to be signing Sebastian Giovinco.

Good for TFC, but I'm not a fan of USMNT players going to Canadian teams. I think it diminishes their MLS value.

Bradley and Altidore should be playing on American teams in order to maximize their appeal. Of course Toronto fans are happy about getting these guys, but IMO their value is SO much more on American clubs.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Jozy to TFC looks a done deal (he flew into Toronto earlier today). They are also rumored to be signing Sebastian Giovinco.

Good for TFC, but I'm not a fan of USMNT players going to Canadian teams. I think it diminishes their MLS value.

Bradley and Altidore should be playing on American teams in order to maximize their appeal. Of course Toronto fans are happy about getting these guys, but IMO their value is SO much more on American clubs.

It's weird to me too......but I like that they are back in the league.

Also looks like Anderlecht is putting the breaks on Kjlestan's move anyway.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:55 am
  • I look forward to the day when all USMNT players are playing in the MLS and not anywhere else. That would certainly attract more international interest.

Are the rumors true that Ronaldo is interested in playing in the US? Who could possibly afford him?
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:36 pm
  • That day is apparently not far away. I however like seeing Americans playing in Europe.

You might be confused with Brazilian Ronaldo, who indeed might play in the USA.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:02 am
  • Both Ronaldo's have stated a desire to play in the US.

Brazilian Ronaldo with and NASL side (san antonio?)

Christiano Ronaldo has said he would like to play in MLS one day...so aways off....as for paying him....NYRB, NYCFC, LAG, SSFC
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:18 pm
  • Sounders have won both of their first preseason games by a combined score of 8-1.

Looks like they are trying Brad Evans at CB alongside Marshall in the first team. Mears at RB. Gonzalez seems to be first choice LB with Remick and Kovar also getting time.

Darwin Jones has been starting games at Right Mid.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:47 am
  • Seriously - FFS!!! Two Hundred and five Dollars? For a Football Shirt?
    And there are idiots who will buy this?

Seabhac
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:53 pm
  • Those are authentics....not shocked.

Replica sounder jerseys are usually about $85 which does not include the cost of a name and or Number.

Authentics from my memory cost about $150, and that too is without name and number. So $205, while a tad high, isn't out of this world crazy.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 pm
  • Ozzie is having surgury on his right groin muscle. He will be out the beginning of the season.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:28 pm
  • Man I'm really hoping they get a new CBA done. No telling what the consequences will be if a lockout occurs.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:08 am
  • Smurf wrote:Ozzie is having surgury on his right groin muscle. He will be out the beginning of the season.

Actually better news than I expected, some groin surgeries can take much longer to heal.

We NEED Ozzie, cause I'm worried about our back line. Mears is a nice addition, but if we don't now have the oldest and slowest back line in the MLS, I don't know who does. Moving Evans to CB and keeping Leo was not the "back line retooling" I envisioned during the off season.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:30 pm
  • Looks like we've signed a young Colombian defender. On mobile right, will try and get a link later.
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:Looks like we've signed a young Colombian defender. On mobile right, will try and get a link later.

Andres Correa. http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2015/02/ ... A9s-correa

Also, if anyone's interested in following the youngsters at S2, USL has announced that all games will be streamed live & free on Youtube.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:57 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:Looks like we've signed a young Colombian defender. On mobile right, will try and get a link later.

Andres Correa. http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2015/02/ ... A9s-correa

Also, if anyone's interested in following the youngsters at S2, USL has announced that all games will be streamed live & free on Youtube.

Good signing, will add some much needed depth and youth to our back line. Not sure if Correa is front line starting caliber talent, but he could become that in a year or two. He was on Columbia's U21 national team, so he's got some talent for sure.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:38 pm
  • There is that pace we needed along the back.

Hope Correa can get some time.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 pm
  • Sounders started pre-season action tonight vs FC Tuscon.

Starting 11:

Martins, Dempsey
    Neagle, Pineda, Azira, Pappa
    Gonzales, Marshall, Evans, Mears
    Frei

At half right now. Sounders up 4-0.

2 Goals for Neagle, 2 goals for Dempsey.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 pm
  • Parsemain add's 2 more in the second half. Sounders win 6-0.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:28 pm
  • Season Tickets just arrived - with a nice summertime scarf.
    Getting pumped for opening day.
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information