Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I figure it's time for a new thread for the new year.

Seattle's home opener has been announced. Sunday, March 8, 6:30pm PT, vs. New England Revolution, televised nationally on Fox Sports 1.

korboko

Reaction score
Any chance that the Sounders will be part of Man U's US tour this year?

Smurf

Reaction score
korboko":ty9aw51z said:
Any chance that the Sounders will be part of Man U's US tour this year?

Unlikely. From what I gather the sounders are rather sour after United broke a gentlemans agreement during the last friendly I wouldn't think they are coming back anytime soon.

Smurf

Reaction score
Darwin Jones (Striker/Winger) is going to be signed to a Home Grown contract tomorrow.

Smurf

Reaction score
Smurf":32w3k6oo said:
Darwin Jones (Striker/Winger) is going to be signed to a Home Grown contract tomorrow.

This is official... FYI.

MLTHawk

Reaction score
Smurf":16dc5z3d said:
Smurf":16dc5z3d said:

This is official... FYI.
I heard he is like a Neagle lite. Is that true?

Smurf

Reaction score
MLTHawk":h7iiukzi said:
Smurf":h7iiukzi said:
Smurf":h7iiukzi said:

This is official... FYI.
I heard he is like a Neagle lite. Is that true?

I am always really hesitant to compare players....especially guys like Neagle.

Jones is fast. More of a pure striker. He can get in behind and has a nose for goal. He probably could have joined us in 2012 cause he is that talented but he wanted play it out at UW for the playing time. He will get a lot of minutes with S2 while he prepares to join the first team. I don't think he will be getting first team minutes for a season or two.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3em3c2w9 said:
Perkins sounds like a good add as a backup or insurance to Frei.

I was looking at the Sounders team roster - http://www.soundersfc.com/players, surprised to see Zach Scott on it. Didn't he retire after the season?

Nope, didn't retire. He is back for one more season.

Perkins is decent. Was hoping for someone younger...but he will get the job done.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":3w1txhim said:
razgriz737":3w1txhim said:

Decent player. I'd welcome a guy like Kljestan here.

While Kljestan might be a nice add...do the Sounders need to invest in another midfielder? There's a logjam there already with Alonso, Pappa, Pineda, Rose, Azira, Evans, Kovar, Neagle, and Long. They need to start building their back defense positions. I'd like to see some acquisitions there (bringing in Mears was a start).

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":31ds5g2m said:
Smurf":31ds5g2m said:
razgriz737":31ds5g2m said:

While Kljestan might be a nice add...do the Sounders need to invest in another midfielder? There's a logjam there already with Alonso, Pappa, Pineda, Rose, Azira, Evans, Kovar, Neagle, and Long. They need to start building their back defense positions. I'd like to see some acquisitions there (bringing in Mears was a start).

Yes.

Kovar is turning into more of a Left back prospect than a kid we will see get minute in the first team at LM. Kovar will probably spend most of the season with S2.

Long isn't a player I expect to be with us come week 1....and if he is its probably with S2. I'd be shocked to see him.

While we are deep in the midfield in general....its kind of a log jam in the middle of the park. We have 6 guys who play CM...for 5 of them CM is their best spot on the team sheet....Evans can really play anywhere on the park we need him to.

That leaves Pappa, Evans, Kovar and Neagle as our outside options....which is really not that much....you noticed last year we played Cooper and Barrett outside a bunch...not exactly where I want those 2 to be on a consistent basis. We are fairly weak at outside mid. Neagle and Pappa both lack defensive work rate. Kovar isn't quite up to the quality we need.

Kjlestan is a guy who has some attacking ability and but doesn't sacrifice too much on the defensive side (he's WAY better than pappa on defense). He can play outside, as well as fill in at the inside if we need him too.

Kjlestan may not seem like a huge need but he's a quality player who will join us at the right price. He will add solid depth to our roster.

Also need to remember that we are adding more fixtures to our schedule this year with CCL and will need to use more roster rotation...especially if guys can't stay healthy.....on that note I expect to see A BUNCH of Andy Rose.

I do agree, we need to add some more depth along the backline, we look a little thin there, but that can change quickly.

knownone

Reaction score
I would be very disappointed if they move up in allocation to play Kjlestan wide. The Sounders need a guy who can slot in next to Ozzie and if you bring Kjlestan in that's where you put him, he's a good box to box guy, and he's an upgrade over Pineda in defense.

Smurf

Reaction score
Kjlestan is a good fit for us regardless of where they play him. He'll get minutes

knownone

Reaction score
Agreed.

What do you make of the Samuel Eto'o rumor? Silly season exaggerations? or do you think he was legitimately a target at one point.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":2iyezqwh said:
hawkfan68":2iyezqwh said:
Smurf":2iyezqwh said:
razgriz737":2iyezqwh said:

Yes.

Kovar is turning into more of a Left back prospect than a kid we will see get minute in the first team at LM. Kovar will probably spend most of the season with S2.

Long isn't a player I expect to be with us come week 1....and if he is its probably with S2. I'd be shocked to see him.

While we are deep in the midfield in general....its kind of a log jam in the middle of the park. We have 6 guys who play CM...for 5 of them CM is their best spot on the team sheet....Evans can really play anywhere on the park we need him to.

That leaves Pappa, Evans, Kovar and Neagle as our outside options....which is really not that much....you noticed last year we played Cooper and Barrett outside a bunch...not exactly where I want those 2 to be on a consistent basis. We are fairly weak at outside mid. Neagle and Pappa both lack defensive work rate. Kovar isn't quite up to the quality we need.

Kjlestan is a guy who has some attacking ability and but doesn't sacrifice too much on the defensive side (he's WAY better than pappa on defense). He can play outside, as well as fill in at the inside if we need him too.

Kjlestan may not seem like a huge need but he's a quality player who will join us at the right price. He will add solid depth to our roster.

Also need to remember that we are adding more fixtures to our schedule this year with CCL and will need to use more roster rotation...especially if guys can't stay healthy.....on that note I expect to see A BUNCH of Andy Rose.

I do agree, we need to add some more depth along the backline, we look a little thin there, but that can change quickly.

Thanks for the explanation Smurf. Looking at this after your explanation, it makes sense to bring in Kljestan. Especially if he can help out defensively as well as attack.

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":2odurzft said:
Agreed.

What do you make of the Samuel Eto'o rumor? Silly season exaggerations? or do you think he was legitimately a target at one point.

I think it was a legitimate target and then we hit delays with the CBA. I am pretty sure we went into that negotiation betting on the CBA being finished and having a 4th DP slot to use.

its hard to make any big money moves without knowing what the new CBA will bring especially if your current big money avenues are already filled.

Do we really need Eto'o? No....would it be awesome? YES.

I guess the NASL's New York Cosmos are trying to sign him right now as well.