Rip dean smith and Jerry tarkanian

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tark, always chewing that towel. I thought he was so cool for taking on the NCAA. RIP.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Tark the Shark was a great coach and motivator. I grew up watching a lot of UNLV basketball when he was there and I see some philosophical similarities between Tark and Carroll. Tark always ran defenses that fit the players he had on the team in any given year. If his personnel were best suited to play zone they played a lot of zone. If he had the horses to play solid man press then they would play a lot of that. Regardless of the style though, DEFENSE was the No. 1 thing with Tark. The Rebels were often thought of for their offense, but typically a large portion of their offense was always generated by their intense defense. Conditioning was a huge priority with him as well, which allowed them to flat wear out lesser teams even if they had better talent. Some practices they would do nothing but run.

He let his players express themselves in ways that some programs would never allow today, let alone at that time. He brought in players that other programs wouldn’t touch, a few times that bit him but the kids that bought in were better individuals for it. His players often went on to lead successful lives that they may not have otherwise due to the opportunity and life lessons he gave them. He genuinely cared about the kids he brought in.

He was a fierce competitor. Once he called a timeout while winning by 20 plus points after the other team scored a basket and proceeded to chew out his players from one end to other telling them “don’t let these guys think they have a chance”.

He should’ve had back-to-back championships; Larry Johnson should've taken that last shot.

RIP Tark! / RIP Dean

157a03af762f685bc3466e3f9afea580