I miss college basketball. All time fav teams?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The passing of dean smith and Jerry tarkanian got me thinking back to when college basketball was actually a must watch sport and some of those great teams.

My all time favorite: those Syracuse teams of the late '80's. with Sherman Douglas throwing 'oops to derick Coleman, billy Owens and Steven Thompson. My runner up would probably be the Christian laettner, bobby Hurley, grant hill duke teams.

I miss what college basketball used to be. Havnt watched a non tournament game in probably 10 years.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Lou's St. John's teams of the early 80s were a great watch. Actually, the Big East in general from the late 70s to early 80s. Mid to late 80s, Duke, NC and Kentucky were always full of classic players. Indiana and Michigan State seemed steady. Michigan had their one year. That NC State team of course. And Loyola. Some really good Arizona teams in there as well.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
My fav local team was the 2001ish ducks teams with Luke ridnour, Luke Jackson and fred jones. Those kids could ball.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":8wa57sps said:
My fav local team was the 2001ish ducks teams with Luke ridnour, Luke Jackson and fred jones. Those kids could ball.

Getting into the 90s and early 2000s changes things. It gets close to the 1 and doners. There was a great 2 year run by UW. Marquette, the Zags and Purdue became deeper tournament teams. Obviously UConn went on a rise. Great Florida team in there somewhere. Then Louisville and Kansas.

80s was the decade for me (stretching into the 90s I suppose). Players stuck around. Coaches stuck around. Seemed a better reflection of the game. I don't follow NCAA anymore as I just feel the game itself (not the talent of some of the players) has dropped considerably

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I liked the Jordan years at Carolina..IU with Bobby Knight 80's..The Fab Five Michigan 90's..UW was what I first saw with Romar as a player..I saw Detlef later..I wish they could've been better more years..

BIGNORMANHAND

Reaction score
JSeahawks":16c1ua1c said:
The passing of dean smith and Jerry tarkanian got me thinking back to when college basketball was actually a must watch sport and some of those great teams.

Hm, I guess I must have a wire loose. College basketball still is a completely
"must watch" sport for me. I can hardly wait for March!!!

Tical21

Reaction score
They should just act like it isn't even basketball anymore, call it Clank, and soak up the ratings.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SonicHawk":15arz33s said:
I love college basketball still.

I love March. But the grind to get there has lost its appeal. I feel the same way about college football as well. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I miss the days of the good Huskies. It's pretty amazing what Husky basketball did from 2004-2011. In that span, it seemed like UW was sending at least one player to the NBA each year.

My favorite team was probably the 2004 team that got the #1 seed. It was the first time in forever the Huskies were relevant in basketball, not to mention a surprise #1 seed. That team had Nate Robinson, Brandon Roy, Will Conroy, Tre Simmons, and Bobby Jones. That 2004 year reminded me a little of the excitement the Seahawks had in Russell's rookie year. I just remember that they beat undefeated Stanford at home in the last game of the season. I believe they also went on to beat Arizona in the Pac10 championship. Those battles with Arizona in the mid 2000's were epic.

Another really good UW team i liked was the year they made it to the sweet 16 in 2010. That team had Quincy Pondexter, Isaiah Thomas, Abdul Gaddy, Elston Turner, Justin Holiday, Matthew Bryan-Amaning, and Venoy Overton.

Just writing this makes me realize how far Washington Basketball has fallen.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
UCLA teams with Lew Alcindor were amazing. Same with the Walton teams. But my favorite was the team after Kareem left with Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe that beat Jacksonville in the final when they had two seven footers, Artis Gilmore and Pembrook Burroughs (great name!). Wicks and Rowe were like 6'9" and 6'8" and Gilmore was 7'2" and Burroughs 7' and Wicks and Rowe were better in the paint that afternoon (yes the championship was played in the afternoon).

John Wooden, GREATEST coach in the history of team sports. Yes he had Walton and "Lewis" Alcindor, but he also won championships with the aforementioned team along with the Goodrich/Hazzard team, etc. He was even greater than Lombardi.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1gkbs9k6 said:
UCLA teams with Lew Alcindor were amazing. Same with the Walton teams. But my favorite was the team after Kareem left with Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe that beat Jacksonville in the final when they had two seven footers, Artis Gilmore and Pembrook Burroughs (great name!). Wicks and Rowe were like 6'9" and 6'8" and Gilmore was 7'2" and Burroughs 7' and Wicks and Rowe were better in the paint that afternoon (yes the championship was played in the afternoon).

John Wooden, GREATEST coach in the history of team sports. Yes he had Walton and "Lewis" Alcindor, but he also won championships with the aforementioned team along with the Goodrich/Hazzard team, etc. He was even greater than Lombardi.

Man, you're old!!

Rat

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1u3o6lm6 said:

How did you enjoy listening to those Wilt Chamberlain KU teams on the radio?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1s5k7z5z said:
hawksfansinceday1":1s5k7z5z said:

Man, you're old!!
Yes I am.

Rat":1s5k7z5z said:
How did you enjoy listening to those Wilt Chamberlain KU teams on the radio?
LOL........His college career was a little before my time, but I remember him with the 76ers winning it all in '67 I believe it was.

I'm 58 and started watching sports intently in 1964 at age 8. Seen every Super Bowl ever played, etc.

Latest posts