Coach Romar is hungry to turn it around...a little bit.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Wow, we are losing NWG! It's over for UW hoops. Just fire Romar already.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3xw566f5 said:

Oh no! Now maybe they won't be able to finish 11th in the PAC 12 like they did last season with NWG.

And what is over exactly? They haven't made the tourney in 4 years and, again, finished 11th in a 12 team conference last season.

They do have what is ranked as the 9th best recruiting class coming in though. Seems much more likely that things will get better for UW hoops than get worse. It doesn't get a whole lot worse than 11th out of 12.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Chapow":1d55fupm said:
Hawk-Lock":1d55fupm said:

Oh no! Now maybe they won't be able to finish 11th in the PAC 12 like they did last season with NWG.

And what is over exactly? They haven't made the tourney in 4 years and, again, finished 11th in a 12 team conference last season.

They do have what is ranked as the 9th best recruiting class coming in though. Seems much more likely that things will get better for UW hoops than get worse. It doesn't get a whole lot worse than 11th out of 12.

Very true. I just think NWG transferring probably says a lot about Romar. Lately, it seems like he has had a lot of players transfer out of the program. Not a good thing. I was looking forward to having Goss along with all the heralded freshman that are coming in next year.

I've said it before, Romar went as far as the talent took him. He's an average coach at best. He has had multiple teams with 2-3 NBA players on the team, and hasn't gotten past a sweet 16.

Tical21

Reaction score
I really liked that kid. Felt terrible for him. There wasn't anybody else on the roster that resembled a competent basketball player. You could see the frustration bubbling last year. I don't believe winning should be the #1 priority of a collegiate athletics program, but you can't consistently underperform either. There is no excuse for the team that represents the city of Seattle, which has had a lot of good basketball talent, to be horrible. I'm a little bit surprised that Nigel bailed with the class coming in, but he must not have had much faith that our coaching staff was going to be able to do much.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Cameron Dollar leaving hurt the Huskies. Romar looked better than he really was because of his talented assistant.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Chapow":b2i0vpxj said:
Hawk-Lock":b2i0vpxj said:

Except for the fact the pac 12 has 5 of the top 25 classes coming in. The entire confrence is getting better, just the other schools don't have Romar as the coach.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It wasn't a coincidence that the Huskies basketball program got really good when a ton of talent poured through the greater Seattle area. The Seattle area was producing NBA players at about as high a rate as any other area in the country. Romar did a good job at recruiting the hometown kids. He kept them home.

That's basically my theory on UW hoops in a nutshell. We had 5-7 years of really good basketball because NBA talent was playing high school basketball next door to Hec-Ed. Will we ever get back to prominence? I hope, but I don't really see it anytime soon.

By the way, our conference just got a lot tougher, Bobby Hurley got hired at Arizona St. He is a new good coach, and he will make ASU a good hoops program very soon.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Romar used to be one of the top 3 coaches in the conference...then Sean Miller, Steve Alford, Johnny Dawkins, Dana Altman, Tad Boyle, and Larry Kyrstowiak arrived. He's not even close to being top 7 or 8 coach anymore in the conference. Now his recruiting the last couple years has stunk. He's lost several players that may have made a difference, Bruenig played well for Montana. He lost Desmond Simmons, Greg Trent, Terence Ross and Tony Wroten left early.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The losing, Williams-Goss told The News Tribune during a telephone interview, was not the sole reason for his decision to leave, though such failure stands in stark contrast to the 124-8 record compiled by his Findlay Prep teams during his four-year career at the prep powerhouse in Henderson, Nevada.

Instead, he said the bevy of recent transfers leaving the program — and the departure of assistant coach T.J. Otzelberger, who returned to a similar position at Iowa State — made him yearn for a new opportunity elsewhere.

“I wouldn’t say anything was not good enough or anything like that,” Williams-Goss said. “I have no hard feelings for the program. Just with all the change in the last two years, all the transfers that have left, Coach T.J. leaving the staff; there’s just a lot of change in the program, and I feel like I only have two years of eligibility left, and I’m just kind of looking for a fresh start.”

Williams-Goss, a native of Happy Valley, Oregon, who was a 4-star prospect and a McDonald’s All-American and chose Washington over Harvard, was adamant that his relationship with Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar is “great,” and said he did consider returning to UW.

“We had a great meeting at the end of the season, and even when I made this decision,” Williams-Goss said. “It’s tough to say goodbye to someone who I have such a great relationship with, and I know it’s hard to say goodbye for him as well. … Although it was hard on both of our ends, there was kind of a mutual understanding.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/04/1 ... rylink=cpy

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Sorry about that link in the first post. I tried to fix it but I couldn't get it to work.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2by3i6xi said:
It wasn't a coincidence that the Huskies basketball program got really good when a ton of talent poured through the greater Seattle area. The Seattle area was producing NBA players at about as high a rate as any other area in the country. Romar did a good job at recruiting the hometown kids. He kept them home.

That's basically my theory on UW hoops in a nutshell. We had 5-7 years of really good basketball because NBA talent was playing high school basketball next door to Hec-Ed. Will we ever get back to prominence? I hope, but I don't really see it anytime soon.

By the way, our conference just got a lot tougher, Bobby Hurley got hired at Arizona St. He is a new good coach, and he will make ASU a good hoops program very soon.
Odd time to say that

Throwdown

Reaction score
There's still really good talent in the area, its just...yeah, I don't know... I don't know, UW just isn't as good. Its sad because I know someone on the team who feels like they're better than they show, I personally don't know about that.

College hoops isn't an easy fix honestly, there may need to be a change in leadership and culture at UW.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I used to be a big fan of Romar, for obvious reasons..............dude's honor and integrity cannot be questioned.

But he hasn't recruited well for a long time, and that's usually an indicator that a coach has lost the war. Because in the college game, recruiting is everything.

But I'm not calling for his head, because also in college you don't replace a coach without an upgrade. Sadly, the UW program isn't the most desirable job in the Pac 12, hell it isn't even the most desirable job in our region, Gonzaga is.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Throwdown":pjyxm1xa said:
There's still really good talent in the area, its just...yeah, I don't know... I don't know, UW just isn't as good. Its sad because I know someone on the team who feels like they're better than they show, I personally don't know about that.

College hoops isn't an easy fix honestly, there may need to be a change in leadership and culture at UW.

There is still talent, but not like it was. The Seattle area was producing NBA players like a factory. The only guy I can really think of recently who is in the NBA from the Seattle area is Zach Lavine.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":i7pfcp36 said:
Throwdown":i7pfcp36 said:

There is still talent, but not like it was. The Seattle area was producing NBA players like a factory. The only guy I can really think of recently who is in the NBA from the Seattle area is Zach Lavine.

Not sure what your definition of "recently".............but Peyton Siva, Tony Wroten, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Avery Bradley, just to name a few.

It's not that the NW isn't producing talent like it used to, it's that Romar is no longer getting the Roys, Robinsons, Thomas's, etc. of the region. He's getting 2nd and 3rd tier players now, and that's a red flag.

Romar should be at the point in his tenure at UW where he's grabbing at least one or two five star players every year. Whether those players turn into NBA players is not the point, the point is he's losing the recruiting war.

Now we can talk about why he's losing. Is he too nice of a guy, does he need to be more sleezy like Calipari, is it the facilities.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8ndqbw84 said:
Hawk-Lock":8ndqbw84 said:
Throwdown":8ndqbw84 said:

Not sure what your definition of "recently".............but Peyton Siva, Tony Wroten, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Avery Bradley, just to name a few.

It's not that the NW isn't producing talent like it used to, it's that Romar is no longer getting the Roys, Robinsons, Thomas's, etc. of the region. He's getting 2nd and 3rd tier players now, and that's a red flag.

Romar should be at the point in his tenure at UW where he's grabbing at least one or two five star players every year. Whether those players turn into NBA players is not the point, the point is he's losing the recruiting war.

Now we can talk about why he's losing. Is he too nice of a guy, does he need to be more sleezy like Calipari, is it the facilities.

When I said recently, I was talking about the last 3 or so years when the Huskies have not been good. In that short time period, I think the only guy who has had real NBA talent from this area is Lavine. In that same 3 year span the Seattle area was producing 5-10 nba guys back in the mid 2000's.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Do people not realize that UW is bringing in a top 5 recruiting class next year? With 3 of those guys being the top 3 players from this state (if Crisp played this year at RB). That's before transfers come in also. Still 3 scholarships to give out and the rumors of who those scholarships are going to would be HUGE. Romar is going back to what he did when he first got here and next year's class is going to help get that job done.

The rumors of Romar not being able to recruit are greatly exaggerated

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1dznl9pn said:
Do people not realize that UW is bringing in a top 5 recruiting class next year? With 3 of those guys being the top 3 players from this state (if Crisp played this year at RB). That's before transfers come in also. Still 3 scholarships to give out and the rumors of who those scholarships are going to would be HUGE. Romar is going back to what he did when he first got here and next year's class is going to help get that job done.

The rumors of Romar not being able to recruit are greatly exaggerated

I'd agree with your, if this was 2005...........but when's the last time Romar had a top 5 recruiting class? Dude's been at UW since 2002, he should have this program in the top part of the Pac 12 and be in the tourney perennially.

Recruiting was suppose to be his strong suit, and it just hasn't been there for a while. Hopefully this will be the class to turn things around, but if it's not, Romar's not long for his job.