Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Chris Rock’s Take on Blacks in Baseball: Real Sports (HBO)

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • EDIT: Wasn't thinking, but this is NSFW (language). My bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFFQkQ6Va3A



    I'm not a baseball guy, but I love Chris Rock.
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    2015 Adopt-a-rookie: Kristjan Sokoli
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2020
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • i feel ya chris..
    Last edited by chris98251 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Reason: Offensive language that two of our moderators would have perma banned you for!
    User avatar
    scifly
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 152
    Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:56 pm


  • So the blacks from other countries, don't count?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3328
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • How many "blacks" that aren't of African Origin are playing in the MLB. With only one black manager and less that 5% black players... I would say that African-Americans are not into baseball based on the stats that Rock shares.

    There's nothing wrong with that, but with the avg age of a baseball fan over the age of 50 is not a great sign for your future.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4630
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • CPHawk wrote:So the blacks from other countries, don't count?

    Historically? No, because most were from Cuba and Latin America and passed themselves off or were accepted as white. Africa has no tradition of baseball. Asians faced very similar kinds of discrimination in the same era.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • Couldn't find the documentary, but there was an extensive push to make baseball more available to urban centers (and in turn, make it more available to African Americans and thus encourage more interest and participation).

    The key roadblock was simple space. baseball fields take up a lot of space, and space costs a whole lot of money in urban areas... thus the game just hasn't taken off in the cities (and outlying areas).

    Take it for what you will
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13332
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • While I agree with Rock that the youth of America, and especially the urban youth doesn't give a shit about baseball because it's boring, stuffy and unhip............I think that's a byproduct of there not being as many black players in baseball to follow and emulate.

    Baseball wasn't any more exciting in the 60's, 70's and 80's than it is now, yet blacks watched because you had amazing black players like Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, Griffey Jr, etc.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13080
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • What's the deal with airline food?
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 3428
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • Why do they call it Ovaltine?
    There was this monkey, right?
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 14322
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Down at the old Milk Plus


  • Uncle Si wrote:Couldn't find the documentary, but there was an extensive push to make baseball more available to urban centers (and in turn, make it more available to African Americans and thus encourage more interest and participation).

    The key roadblock was simple space. baseball fields take up a lot of space, and space costs a whole lot of money in urban areas... thus the game just hasn't taken off in the cities (and outlying areas).

    Take it for what you will


    I was born & raised in Da Bronx and a lot of what you say is true. I was in my early teens before I ever played on a dirt field. We played mostly 'schoolyard' ball and that was always on concrete (we played mostly softball). However, you could put up a basketball hoop almost anywhere. Handball was another sport we all played because all you needed was a wall and a pink ball.

    After I was married and moved to New Jersey I was shocked when I went to the local H.S. field Sunday morning, (dirt of course) and nobody was there! In Da Bronx guys would start writing their names on the ground (we used chalk) at 7am to get a chance to play. First 9 guys made the first team, second 9 the second team...and we played all day. We called it 'rise & shine; winning team stayed on the field, losing team off the field, and the next 9 guys would play.

    Also, very few of us ever played Little League ball because our folks couldn't afford it. Pay money to play ball? LOL!
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

    Paulie S.
    User avatar
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
     
    Posts: 7201
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Skagit County, WA


  • Anyone think it could have something to do with the way we approach it now, kids are playing little leage at 5 or T ball, then little league, then you have you draft for the eleite teams that play another season and they market and get them traveling. Yes kids who have parents of influence and money have the advanatage, they are required in many places to play no other sport then Baseball also or will be dropped from the team. Soccer is doing the same thing now, as is Basketball.

    Kids that don't have the money are left behind, unless your a freak athlete that gets a sponser. (Agent) but don't call them that they are only helping out)
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 24377
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:Anyone think it could have something to do with the way we approach it now, kids are playing little leage at 5 or T ball, then little league, then you have you draft for the eleite teams that play another season and they market and get them traveling. Yes kids who have parents of influence and money have the advanatage, they are required in many places to play no other sport then Baseball also or will be dropped from the team. Soccer is doing the same thing now, as is Basketball.

    Kids that don't have the money are left behind, unless your a freak athlete that gets a sponser. (Agent) but don't call them that they are only helping out)


    Money's definitely a factor, but most towns and cities have rec leagues that kids can play for cheap. It's certainly not as competitive as being on a club or select team, but the sport is available if the kid has an interest.

    IMO the problem is there's just not the space for kids to go play on their own time that there used to be, as well as zero interest because kids, especially inner city kids don't watch baseball or follow baseball athletes like they do other sports.

    I had a similar problem coaching soccer for 10 years, it's very hard to teach kids about the finer nuances of a sport if they don't watch it.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13080
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • chris98251 wrote:Anyone think it could have something to do with the way we approach it now, kids are playing little leage at 5 or T ball, then little league, then you have you draft for the eleite teams that play another season and they market and get them traveling. Yes kids who have parents of influence and money have the advanatage, they are required in many places to play no other sport then Baseball also or will be dropped from the team. Soccer is doing the same thing now, as is Basketball.

    Kids that don't have the money are left behind, unless your a freak athlete that gets a sponser. (Agent) but don't call them that they are only helping out)


    Select teams/AAU teams/etc have ruined youth sports.
    Image
    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    User avatar
    Seahawks1983
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 915
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm
    Location: 509




It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests