Chris Rock’s Take on Blacks in Baseball: Real Sports (HBO)

CPHawk

Reaction score
So the blacks from other countries, don't count?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
How many "blacks" that aren't of African Origin are playing in the MLB. With only one black manager and less that 5% black players... I would say that African-Americans are not into baseball based on the stats that Rock shares.

There's nothing wrong with that, but with the avg age of a baseball fan over the age of 50 is not a great sign for your future.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CPHawk":8b8dtk2q said:
So the blacks from other countries, don't count?
Historically? No, because most were from Cuba and Latin America and passed themselves off or were accepted as white. Africa has no tradition of baseball. Asians faced very similar kinds of discrimination in the same era.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Couldn't find the documentary, but there was an extensive push to make baseball more available to urban centers (and in turn, make it more available to African Americans and thus encourage more interest and participation).

The key roadblock was simple space. baseball fields take up a lot of space, and space costs a whole lot of money in urban areas... thus the game just hasn't taken off in the cities (and outlying areas).

Take it for what you will

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While I agree with Rock that the youth of America, and especially the urban youth doesn't give a shit about baseball because it's boring, stuffy and unhip............I think that's a byproduct of there not being as many black players in baseball to follow and emulate.

Baseball wasn't any more exciting in the 60's, 70's and 80's than it is now, yet blacks watched because you had amazing black players like Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, Griffey Jr, etc.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":318p5fls said:
Couldn't find the documentary, but there was an extensive push to make baseball more available to urban centers (and in turn, make it more available to African Americans and thus encourage more interest and participation).

The key roadblock was simple space. baseball fields take up a lot of space, and space costs a whole lot of money in urban areas... thus the game just hasn't taken off in the cities (and outlying areas).

Take it for what you will

I was born & raised in Da Bronx and a lot of what you say is true. I was in my early teens before I ever played on a dirt field. We played mostly 'schoolyard' ball and that was always on concrete (we played mostly softball). However, you could put up a basketball hoop almost anywhere. Handball was another sport we all played because all you needed was a wall and a pink ball.

After I was married and moved to New Jersey I was shocked when I went to the local H.S. field Sunday morning, (dirt of course) and nobody was there! In Da Bronx guys would start writing their names on the ground (we used chalk) at 7am to get a chance to play. First 9 guys made the first team, second 9 the second team...and we played all day. We called it 'rise & shine; winning team stayed on the field, losing team off the field, and the next 9 guys would play.

Also, very few of us ever played Little League ball because our folks couldn't afford it. Pay money to play ball? LOL!

chris98251

Reaction score
Anyone think it could have something to do with the way we approach it now, kids are playing little leage at 5 or T ball, then little league, then you have you draft for the eleite teams that play another season and they market and get them traveling. Yes kids who have parents of influence and money have the advanatage, they are required in many places to play no other sport then Baseball also or will be dropped from the team. Soccer is doing the same thing now, as is Basketball.

Kids that don't have the money are left behind, unless your a freak athlete that gets a sponser. (Agent) but don't call them that they are only helping out)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":10niblwo said:
Anyone think it could have something to do with the way we approach it now, kids are playing little leage at 5 or T ball, then little league, then you have you draft for the eleite teams that play another season and they market and get them traveling. Yes kids who have parents of influence and money have the advanatage, they are required in many places to play no other sport then Baseball also or will be dropped from the team. Soccer is doing the same thing now, as is Basketball.

Kids that don't have the money are left behind, unless your a freak athlete that gets a sponser. (Agent) but don't call them that they are only helping out)

Money's definitely a factor, but most towns and cities have rec leagues that kids can play for cheap. It's certainly not as competitive as being on a club or select team, but the sport is available if the kid has an interest.

IMO the problem is there's just not the space for kids to go play on their own time that there used to be, as well as zero interest because kids, especially inner city kids don't watch baseball or follow baseball athletes like they do other sports.

I had a similar problem coaching soccer for 10 years, it's very hard to teach kids about the finer nuances of a sport if they don't watch it.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
chris98251":11mqjdhy said:

Select teams/AAU teams/etc have ruined youth sports.

Latest posts