2015 Kentucky Derby...EDITED Triple Crown Edition

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think we have very many horse people around here any more but I'm still here and I'll include free PP's for those that care to handicap it.

I always bet 10c superfectas in these races, you need to have 1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th exactly in the order they finish for a cashable ticket.

I am taking both of Bob Bafferts horses, they are both in great form.
Also throwing in Upstart and Carpe Diem, all of these boxed for a mere $2.40, past performances below.

http://www1.drf.com/formulator-web/Free ... ce-race/11

In the Oaks, I am boxing Condo Commando, Lovely Maria, Bird at the wire, and Stellar Wind.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I gotta say that I need to include my old buddy Gary Stevens riding Firing Line. He underwent knee replacement surgery in the summer last year and is 56.

I first met him when I moved up to Washington in 1977 and I worked at Yakima Meadows. He showed up there coming from Boise. We struck up a friendship, as he and I knew the Baze family together. At that time the same connections from Yakima made the trip to Longacres for the meet there, and by the time Gary got over there he had already been tearing up Yakima.

he broke almost every record in many categories at Longacres for a few years, and then the Big Time called as he transferred to Santa Anita (which to me is the most beautiful track anywhere)....All he did was vault himself to the top of the jockey colony and the rest of his career is legendary.

He even had a starring role in the movie Seabiskit.

So I'm throwing him into my superfecta.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Too bad you left out Frosted. I liked him in the Derby. I should have bet but got very busy yesterday. It was beautiful out and we went to a get together before the race. I didn't see it on the DVR until we got home. I told my brother that the winner would be from these four-American Pharoah, Upstart, Carpe Diem or Frosted.
I wonder what happened to Upstart. Ultra consistent horse and he finished last. I haven't read anything about him yet.

djTOY2000

Reaction score
i don't do any betting, but i do follow the prestige of the major races, and it is on my bucket list to attend all three races of the triple crown one year, and if that happens, wouldn't it be something to do so IF there was a triple crown winner that year (although highly unlikely)...

just curious, but how much does a ticket cost to attend each of these races ? Kentucky, Preakness, Belmont ??

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
The Pharoah won the Preakness easily. We have another chance for a Triple Crown. :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1mh8x4x9 said:
The Pharoah won the Preakness easily. We have another chance for a Triple Crown. :th2thumbs:

Doubt he pulls it off. The Belmont tends to be too much for these horses to pull off considering a lot of the field will be well rested from not participating in the Preakness and/or Derby

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":20kcloo6 said:
I'd like to see him run on a dry track. Everyone knows he's an excellent mudder. Both the Derby and Preakness were his before it ever started.

Now he has actual competition on a long track.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
The thing about the Belmont is that is has always been beneficial to horses that have good early speed and can dictate the pace. The Pharoah is that kind of horse.
It will be tough, as it is for every horse that has had a chance. Fresh competitors make it even harder. There is a reason only 11 have accomplished the feat.
Oh, and for the record, the last 3 TC winners were on or near the lead. Despite the distance of the race, closers have not fared well in The Belmont. It is usually taken by a horse on or near the lead. Never more than 5 lengths back. Just sayin....

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3c3s4i26 said:
Seahwkgal":3c3s4i26 said:
I'd like to see him run on a dry track. Everyone knows he's an excellent mudder. Both the Derby and Preakness were his before it ever started.

Now he has actual competition on a long track.

Churchill Downs was a dry track?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
So, Here we are again with another triple crown candidate and Baffert trains him.

I have jinxed previous T.C. attempts with a "lock" to do it. However, the way American Pharoah glides, and can stay near the lead, it looks like we may have that horse.

Fast or off track, doesn't matter to him. Ima thinkin we are going to see him win one for the first time since 1978, yeah, it's WAY hard to do.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
My picks are for the superfecta.

You need the correct order of finish for the first 4 horses.

Box these for a 10c ($2.40) bet and any way those 4 come in and you cash.

American Pharoah
Frosted
Tale of Verve
Materiality

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":hbe0cw46 said:
My picks are for the superfecta.

You need the correct order of finish for the first 4 horses.

Box these for a 10c ($2.40) bet and any way those 4 come in and you cash.

American Pharoah
Frosted
Tale of Verve
Materiality

I like a 3, 5, 6, 7 box myself.

Good luck.

And I don't see Pharoah winning the TC.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Track is fast right now. He won the derby on a fast track, won the Preakness in the slop. The sign of a great horse. Also the way he runs, no wasted movement, stays near the lead. The Belmont is not won by deep stretch closers even though it is a mile and a half.

Today is the day for history to be made.

chris98251

Reaction score
Used to go to Longacres regularly for a long time with my Ex, never went home in the red always came back with more then we spent. Gary was great then and won be a bit of money over the years, had a knack of getting the horse to run smooth and fast no matter the track.

Since we broke up I never have went back, not sure why, maybe it was a sacred thing we did together and why it worked so well.

Used to get the forums and go over them at home, never looked at the horse on race day.

Oh and first rule never change your mind once you decide. They used to call the Superfecta the Quinella I think at Portland Meadows, changed my bet once there and it was the Ex's suggestion, that was a 33,000 dollar lesson.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
OMG....Except for the Hawks winning it all, this day is #2 for me in sports.

So happy for Baffert and the sport.