I remember when I actually cared a smidge about boxing...

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Then, back in the 80's and 90's, I saw the blatant judging bias obviously slanted towards $$$'s and nothing else. The announcers even saying boxer "A" dominated some round over boxer "B", then the judges giving it to the obvious loser, "B" (who happened to be the "popular" defending champion). Right then, to me, it became "Big-Time Wrasslin'", and dismissed it as a sucker sport... Totally rigged and existing only to suck money from people that plunked their hard-earned money down on the challenger... rendering it a non-sport. So, if that big fight tonight between whozit and what's-his-name was FREE to watch, I would have tuned into a rerun of the Simpsons... Just "Reality" tv... I can't believe that people pay that kind of money for that crap.

Now, the octagon we can get into!

That ain't fake... yet...

I don't think... hmmmmm......

irocdave

Reaction score
Watched the fight tonight and was disappointed with the performance. Boxing is not the same as it used to be. I watched two fighters tonight waging a sparring match, both were protecting themselves for the long haul and there was zero attempt by Paqio to knock FM out in the later rounds. BS he though he was ahead on the cards.
My kids watched also, first time for them watching boxing. They liked it but it was like they were watching soccer, something totally foreign to them. They got bored quickly, same as most of the people in the room. A couple of us old timers reminisced about the good old days when you paid for a Tyson fight and got lots of solid under cards and a quick but violent heavy weight fight. My kids had no idea who Mike Tyson is or what a knockout looks like. The 18 year olds hovering over the food were like " who's Tyson, isn't he that weird guy with the face tattoo?". Wow. Are boxers the same pussified 20 somethings that make up todays society?

Boxing is dead in the US. Is it this way with every weight class? When I lived in Sacramento Tony Lopez was the shit. Local guy that made a name for himself ( beat up a couple of my much larger friends in bar fights also) and won some belts. That dude performed when the lights were on. Google Tony the tiger Lopez fight of the year.

What happened to boxing? No wonder UFC has taken over boxing.

irocdave

Reaction score
For the youngsters who don't know why Mike Tyson is regarded as the most vicious fighter to ever lace up gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpHNmL9hs_I Take your time and watch the replay, that left hook was deadly. It happened so quick you couldn't pick it up on TV. Most times your going WTF? the opponent just fell over. Nope, they were knocked out cold on their feet.

One of the best boxing matches ever, Tony the "tiger" Lopez. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h90TblX2ShI

Tony had a couple of great fights against a Seattle based fighter Molina also.

Tical21

Reaction score
We've gone over this before. Tyson was severly overrated, although a fantastic crowd pleaser. His record against good fighters was terrible and he lost to a bunch of guys you've never heard of before. He was as good as possible at knocking out stiffs quickly though. Talk to me about Sugar Ray. Heck, talk to me about Lennox Lewis. Hagler, Holyfield, Duran. But Tyson?

Floyd Mayweather has never been a crowd pleaser. However, he is about as good as anyone in history at the art of hitting others and avoiding getting hit yourself. Manny was a crowd pleaser a couple years ago. He used to throw literally twice as many punches as he threw tonight. You saw a boring technician versus an over-the-hill fighter tonight. You want something fun, watch GGG.

UFC? Come on. UFC is not compelling. It's quickly dying, numbers are way down. Were boxing numbers down today? UFC is a terrible product. The fights aren't interesting. Dirty boxing, then they lay on the ground in half guard for ten minutes. It was really cool when everybody had drastically conflicting styles. Now they are all the same guy with 18-11 records. UFC is going to be all but gone in 5 years. The sweet science, it is not.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Boxing is dead. Id litterally rather sit through a soccer game, and I'm no soccer fan.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Boxing is a joke. It has been since 90s. Boxing had it's glory period with Ali, Liston, Frazier, Leonard, Robinson, Hagler, etc. Those days have long since passed.

253hawk

Reaction score
Neither guy looked very tired, nor beat up, and I didn't see a single cut or drop of blood. Manny had a 4" reach disadvantage and still had to dictate the action for the entire fight while Floyd did his usual evade, block, and clinch for 36 minutes. It was a glorified sparring match, and they still each made more than my annual salary per second. Change the scoring system or make them go until a TKO, I don't care. That was utter trash.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
253hawk":1dzcr3mp said:
Neither guy looked very tired, nor beat up, and I didn't see a single cut or drop of blood. Manny had a 4" reach disadvantage and still had to dictate the action for the entire fight while Floyd did his usual evade, block, and clinch for 36 minutes. It was a glorified sparring match, and they still each made more than my annual salary per second. Change the scoring system or make them go until a TKO, I don't care. That was utter trash.

CDpeeZeWEAAk93T

253hawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/594726253325725697[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheJimmyGraham/status/594732927486918656[/tweet]

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
253hawk":2a0hrc6r said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/594726253325725697[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheJimmyGraham/status/594732927486918656[/tweet]

Priceless man... Priceless...

:mrgreen: :th2thumbs:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I could have told anyone this. The fight was going to suck, no matter how much you hyped it up. Every Mayweather fight is the same, boring as shit. He does just enough to win each round and wins by decision. Boringest champion ever.

Tical21

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking the majority of those complaining haven't watched Mayweather box before. This is why he is so hard to beat. You're not going to be able to hit him, and he's going to pepper you with enough jabs to score points. It was up to Manny to change the pace of the fight and he didn't fight with enough energy to do it.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
BlueThunder":6fl79c8m said:
Then, back in the 80's and 90's, I saw the blatant judging bias obviously slanted towards $$$'s and nothing else. The announcers even saying boxer "A" dominated some round over boxer "B", then the judges giving it to the obvious loser, "B" (who happened to be the "popular" defending champion). Right then, to me, it became "Big-Time Wrasslin'", and dismissed it as a sucker sport... Totally rigged and existing only to suck money from people that plunked their hard-earned money down on the challenger... rendering it a non-sport. So, if that big fight tonight between whozit and what's-his-name was FREE to watch, I would have tuned into a rerun of the Simpsons... Just "Reality" tv... I can't believe that people pay that kind of money for that crap.

Now, the octagon we can get into!

That ain't fake... yet...

I don't think... hmmmmm......
My favorite fighter as a kid was The Marvelous one.