Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Boxing fans... Gennady Golovkin?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Boxing fans... Gennady Golovkin?
Fri May 15, 2015 7:43 am
  • What do you think of this cat? I enjoy watching boxing but i'm certainly no technical expert or anything like that. Just the way he stalks his opponents and delivers crippling body shots he's kind of Tysonish. 32-0 with 29 knock outs. 19 straight fights ending in knockouts. Too bad he's not American born, he might be the next big thing.

JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Boxing fans... Gennady Golovkin?
Fri May 15, 2015 8:27 am
  • He's working really hard to try to become a star in this country.

He looks to have something special and is certainly fun to watch. A ton of power in that little frame. I've seen his last 3-4 fights and he has just completely overwhelmed his opponents. Could be quite an attraction as he starts taking on fighters we've heard of before. He's the kind of guy that could get people talking about boxing.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri May 15, 2015 8:52 am

Fri May 15, 2015 8:56 am
  • Tical21 wrote:He's working really hard to try to become a star in this country.

He looks to have something special and is certainly fun to watch. A ton of power in that little frame. I've seen his last 3-4 fights and he has just completely overwhelmed his opponents. Could be quite an attraction as he starts taking on fighters we've heard of before. He's the kind of guy that could get people talking about boxing.

Looks like he and mayweather are about 12 pounds apart. Any chance of that fight ever happening?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri May 15, 2015 9:06 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:He's working really hard to try to become a star in this country.

Looks like he and mayweather are about 12 pounds apart. Any chance of that fight ever happening?

Doubtful. Mayweather is at the end of his career, he won't want to go up against a rising star like this guy. And he's not a kid, he's my age (born in '82). My main concern is that he hasn't really fought anyone of note yet. it's still an amazing streak, we'll see if he can keep it going tomorrow night.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 15, 2015 10:13 am
  • No chance Mayweather gains weight at this point in his career to fight GGG and risk losing.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun May 17, 2015 8:18 am
  • Looked pretty good last night. He played around a little too much, but finished very nicely. Called out Cotto and Alvarez after the fight. 33-0 now. People aren't going to be able to duck him much longer.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:44 am
  • I just watched his last fight on the interwebz from a couple of weeks ago, he looks real good
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:24 pm
  • He's just too old. He's starting to slow down already.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:22 am
  • Tical21 wrote:He's just too old. He's starting to slow down already.

I don't see this at all. He's 33 and hasn't had as many pro fights as most 33 yr olds. PLUS, he hasn't taken really any beatings at all because he's so dominant in the ring.

I think he's fantastic and has a chance to be a major crossover star for the next few years. He already has a good following here in the states. He'll probably have to do a mandatory defense against Tureano Johnson early next year, setting up a big Spring showdown against the winner of Cotto/Canelo. Hopefully it's Canelo.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:38 pm

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:43 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Up to 35-0 now with the highest knockout rate in middleweight history. Sounds like some of the big names are ducking him.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/15 ... cond-round

All of the big names are ducking him, just as they've always done. My feeling is he'll try to get the Canelo fight to work, De La Hoya will tell Canelo not to do it because he'll get rinsed, Gennady will get the belt by default. Then he'll try to fight Saunders for the last remaining middleweight belt he doesn't have, and Saunders will probably do it for the big payday.

The biggest fight left at 160 is against Cotto, who may or may not want it as hes old now himself. I figure if GGG gets all the belts and nobody big will fight him at 160, he'll move up and try to fight Ward or someone like that.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:52 am
  • The only hope to beat GGG is/was Ward. But that dude makes me look sane.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:22 pm
  • pehawk wrote:The only hope to beat GGG is/was Ward. But that dude makes me look sane.

I forgot to say this last night during our pillow talk, but the accepted rumor is that Ward is gonna have a couple of fights at SMW, then move up to Light heavy for a superfight with Kovalev. And really, I'd be okay with that, Kovelev's another big banger who get's dodged by bigger names.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:32 am

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:16 pm
  • GGG is for real. Kell Brook is no joke and GGG trounced him.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:01 pm
  • I didn't watch the fight, but if you have on demand, check out the Thurman vs Porter fight from earlier this summer. Hands down one of the most exciting fights I've ever seen.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information