Tacoma Dome for an NHL and NBA team?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thought about this a few weeks ago, the Tacodome might be a suitable TEMPORARY home for the NHL/NBA home until a new arena gets built.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't even think the NBDL would be down with the Tacoma Dome.

KeyArena is a great temporary home with some upgrades, Tacoma Dome would need an entirely new blueprint to even be temporary.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":2xlhgj61 said:
I don't even think the NBDL would be down with the Tacoma Dome.

KeyArena is a great temporary home with some upgrades, Tacoma Dome would need an entirely new blueprint to even be temporary.
For basketball yes, hockey no.
I saw many T-birds hockey games there when they played there, one end has obstructed sight lines with the rink configuration. Ackerley (former sonics owner) did that on purpose because he didn't want competition from a potential future NHL team.

I've heard rumors that the NHL would be willing to put up with key arena for a year or 2, but then I've heard rumors lately that they don't want to deal with Key Arena and its problems configurationwise. I don't know what to believe.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sonics played in Tacoma for a season or two, the Dome also had a Hockey team there for many years so it is functional just not ideal.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":2eh5nh5i said:
Sonics played in Tacoma for a season or two, the Dome also had a Hockey team there for many years so it is functional just not ideal.
Yep, saw a Sonics/Jazz game there. Also the there was a minor league hockey team that played there, Tacoma Rockets are something like that.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Tacoma Dome has nothing to offer any professional franchise. Not even as a temporary location.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":242gk13j said:
Tacoma Dome has nothing to offer any professional franchise. Not even as a temporary location.

True Clay, just move them to Oklahoma .

Throwdown

Reaction score
chris98251":3cgy9bpb said:
Hawkfan77":3cgy9bpb said:

True Clay, just move them to Oklahoma .

All you gotta do is look at the inside compared to low end arenas in the NHL & NBA, Tacoma dome shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath as those.

It isn't 94, teams need these venues for money making as well, the dome doesn't offer that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1ta59vsk said:

Is that why the Sonics played there for almost two years?

We had Tacoma Rockets WHL tickets for years, it's an OK place for hockey...........and if you're purely comparing facilities for which is a better temporary hockey arena considering sight lines, configuration, seat capacity, parking and ease of getting in and out of for teams.........then Tacoma probably offers more than Key Arena, which the NHL has already says is not a good hockey arena.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lf7hb8f said:
Hawkfan77":3lf7hb8f said:

We had Tacoma Rockets WHL tickets for years, it's an OK place for hockey...........and if you're purely comparing facilities for which is a better temporary hockey arena considering sight lines, configuration, seat capacity, parking and ease of getting in and out of for teams.........then Tacoma probably offers more than Key Arena, which the NHL has already says is not a good hockey arena.

Sonics played there in 94, 21 years ago, things change.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":4o2jhn63 said:
Sgt. Largent":4o2jhn63 said:
Hawkfan77":4o2jhn63 said:

Unfortunately neither arena has changed. So the points are still valid.

Throwdown

Reaction score
KeyArena is way more modern than the Tacoma Dome, Tacoma dome would be a low end in South Dakota. Is that really hard to see?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throwdown":2idw80fg said:
KeyArena is way more modern than the Tacoma Dome, Tacoma dome would be a low end in South Dakota. Is that really hard to see?

It is, cause I've been in both many times over the past 10 years..........and NEITHER is a great facility. But the T-Dome pure facility wise and practicality for the league wise would make sense.

It's why we lost our team dude, and why no pro team will come here without a new arena............. so not sure why you're defending an awful outdated Key Arena.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":r00tn5ga said:
Sgt. Largent":r00tn5ga said:
Hawkfan77":r00tn5ga said:

This. Quite a bit has changed in the last 21 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":36ieworl said:
Throwdown":36ieworl said:
Sgt. Largent":36ieworl said:
Hawkfan77":36ieworl said:

Like what? All those awesome renovations to Key Arena to attract pro sports teams? Or all the traffic infrastructure changes in and around Key Arena? Or tons more parking? Or is it the horrible cargo bay into Key Arena, which is why 50% of the big concerts and events are at the Tacoma Dome.

The T-Dome is not ideal, but to defend Key Arena makes no sense to me. It's a terrible facility for just about everything.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":jeuo1paf said:
Like what? All those awesome renovations to Key Arena to attract pro sports teams? Or all the traffic infrastructure changes in and around Key Arena? Or tons more parking? Or is it the horrible cargo bay into Key Arena, which is why 50% of the big concerts and events are at the Tacoma Dome.

The T-Dome is not ideal, but to defend Key Arena makes no sense to me. It's a terrible facility for just about everything.
I guess I missed the part where I defended Key Arena, please that out to me, thanks.

And if you think the Tacoma Dome compares favorably to Key Arena, well then...I'm not sure there's anything else to say

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2qpznvz5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2qpznvz5 said:

I guess I missed the part where I defended Key Arena, please that out to me, thanks.

And if you think the Tacoma Dome compares favorably to Key Arena, well then...I'm not sure there's anything else to say

The part where you said;

Then went on to list absolutely nothing that's changed or backs up your opinion. So yes, we have nothing else to say.

Latest posts