Felix Hernandez is.......

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
......the best professional athlete in Seattle. Not saying that he is actually more athletic than the Seahawks or Sounders players. However I believe that he a better baseball player than any Seahawk or Sounder are football and soccer players respectively.

Discuss.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt. The better question, IMO, is if he's the best professional athlete of all time in Seattle.

I'd put Felix, Griffey jr, and big Walt all 3 right at the top. With tez, largent, Gary Payton, a-rod just one step below them.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
By the end of his career, Felix Hernandez could possibly be in the discussion of "Greatest Pitcher of All Time". So many want to attribute that to Sandy Koufax, who was undoubtedly one of the greatest ever, but Felix has already enjoyed a more consistent career, and in the American League where teams feature better hitters.

There just have not been many pitchers with the sheer arsenal that Felix has available to him. The guy throws four seamers, two seamers, sliders, cutters, a wicked curve, and the best change up in the majors. At his current pace and consistency, he is going to be remembered as one of the greatest ever. If not the best ever, then top five.

Tical21

Reaction score
I dunno, I was a HUGE Griffey fan. HUGE. HUGE Largent fan. GINORMOUS Couples fan. But I get choked up talking about Felix. Such a geniune guy, too. I would have been out of here years ago. If I ever have to miss a start, I record it. Basketball is my favorite sport. Football is the most fun to talk about. But baseball is the sport that runs through my blood. I can't describe the joy I get from watching that guy pitch. The rest of the country is missing something very special. So freaking nasty. Almost every pitch moves a foot and ends up exactly where he wanted it. It isn't fair. Okay, I gotta go before I cry.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I agree that he is the best athlete in Seattle at his sport. Felix has been a top 2 pitcher the past 2-3 years, and the only other guy that you can argue ahead of him is Kershaw. As much as I love Sherm, Lynch and Russ, they aren't on Felix's level.

As for the person who said he could go down as the greatest pitcher in MLB history.....lets slow down there. Regardless of how good he is, no one will give him consideration until he makes the postseason. There is a big difference between pitching in October and May.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I know he didn't last long, but don't forget this guy:

006_1981_kennyeasley.jpg

Ronnie Lott called him the greatest safety ever.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":1o790fbg said:
I know he didn't last long, but don't forget this guy:

006_1981_kennyeasley.jpg

Ronnie Lott called him the greatest safety ever.
I idolized Kenny Easley growing up and it's a crime he didn't get to play in a Super Bowl.

The King needs to pitch the World Series period!

Msfann

Reaction score
I don't think we have seen his best stuff yet, he keeps getting better and better.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Greatest Seattle athlete of all time? It's Griffey and not sure its even close. I am a huge Felix fan but calling him the greatest pitcher ever might be a little overboard. He got robbed of some hardware last year and it looks like he's going to make that impossible to do this year.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
austinslater25":ov0yro3f said:
Greatest Seattle athlete of all time? It's Griffey and not sure its even close. I am a huge Felix fan but calling him the greatest pitcher ever might be a little overboard. He got robbed of some hardware last year and it looks like he's going to make that impossible to do this year.

That Felix has shown the loyalty that he has by staying (even when the Ms were HORRIBLE) means he eclipses Griffey in my book.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Felix is Seattle. I don't think there's any doubt he's the face of the city. Which is saying something because the Mariners have never been in the post season and the Hawks are coming off of back to back SB appearances.

The guy re-signed (while for big money) for a little less than he would have gotten on the open market because he wants nothing more than to be a part of a playoff team here. As far as Seattle athletes go, IMO he's the first to be place on the Mt Rushmore

mbtitleist

Reaction score
I've said this time and time again to people I know, the day that Felix finally gets to play his first home playoff game will be one of the best environments Seattle sports fans have witnessed. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

jkitsune

Reaction score
This thread gives me chills. I'm out of state and don't get to watch Felix nearly as much as I'd like, but absolutely everything about him just makes me adore him. His behavior on the field, his behavior off the field, his talent, his love of Seattle, his loyalty...

He's the only baseball jersey I own. He makes my little heart sing more than Griffey or Russell. That he has only won one Cy is a crime.

Maulbert

Reaction score
jkitsune":mi395tje said:
This thread gives me chills. I'm out of state and don't get to watch Felix nearly as much as I'd like, but absolutely everything about him just makes me adore him. His behavior on the field, his behavior off the field, his talent, his love of Seattle, his loyalty...

He's the only baseball jersey I own. He makes my little heart sing more than Griffey or Russell. That he has only won one Cy is a crime.

He was straight up robbed last season. Kluber wasn't in Felix's galaxy last season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
For me greatest pro player ever in Seattle is a toss up between Jr. and Big Walt. Others are close behind......Largent, Payton, et. al.
Felix is rising up the ladder and is doing so very quickly. Great, great pitcher. The mark of a great pitcher is one that can win games without his best stuff. Felix does so regularly.

FearTheBeak

Reaction score
Maulbert":1opncanu said:
jkitsune":1opncanu said:

He was straight up robbed last season. Kluber wasn't in Felix's galaxy last season.

He and the organization will never admit it but I think he is pitching with a little chip on his shoulder this season. I think he is going to have a career year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2k1afyx2 said:
austinslater25":2k1afyx2 said:

That Felix has shown the loyalty that he has by staying (even when the Ms were HORRIBLE) means he eclipses Griffey in my book.

It's a valid point.

OP
OP
I

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
austinslater25":2s7g4hje said:

I agree that this is true NOW. However by the end of his career I'm not sure I'll be able to say the same thing with confidence. Griffey is for sure a first ballot hall of famer. If Felix's career continues for another 6+ years on the same trajectory we'll be saying the same thing about him.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
austinslater25":2ypj9vvw said:

How so? I loved Griff, but he never won us games by himself.... felix single handedly wins games.... all the time.