Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Safeco Field and Mariner Fans

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:50 am
  • Do they both suck?

    I love the Safe as far as a ballpark, but it really holds no home-field advantage. Last year M's played much better on the road, and so far this year Safeco hasn't been any better than the road. I go to the games and half the fans are there for the beer, food, weather or social experience. It just hit me that the M's haven't had any success at Safeco in years, even when we have had a "decent" record. At least when the Hawks sucked they managed to be very tough to play at home.

    Maybe just a frustrated post by me after we had a really nice roadtrip and then come home and go 1-3 to Cleveland.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 am
  • Couldn't this have gone inside the M's thread?

    The moment the team starts winning games, fans will come I can pretty much guarantee that.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:02 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote: It just hit me that the M's haven't had any success at Safeco in years.


    Cause they haven't been good in years, me thinks that's not a coincidence.

    Some M's fans like to wax poetic about what a great HFA the Kingdome was, but it wasn't until the team got good in the early 90's and the team actually packed the place to take advantage of the noise. for 90% of the Mariners life, the Kingdome was a morgue with barely attracting 12-15K fans.

    Baseball's just not a sport that's conducive to having a great HFA...........it's a quiet game with spurts of excitement, so any sustained energy with the crowd is virtually impossible, at least until you get to September and October.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:05 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote: It just hit me that the M's haven't had any success at Safeco in years.


    Cause they haven't been good in years, me thinks that's not a coincidence.

    Some M's fans like to wax poetic about what a great HFA the Kingdome was, but it wasn't until the team got good in the early 90's and the team actually packed the place to take advantage of the noise. for 90% of the Mariners life, the Kingdome was a morgue with barely attracting 12-15K fans.

    Baseball's just not a sport that's conducive to having a great HFA...........it's a quiet game with spurts of excitement, so any sustained energy with the crowd is virtually impossible, at least until you get to September and October.


    M's finished 12 games over .500 last year but only managed to go 41-40 at home. Fairly good record and season last year overall, pretty poor performance at home though.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:09 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote: It just hit me that the M's haven't had any success at Safeco in years.


    Cause they haven't been good in years, me thinks that's not a coincidence.

    Some M's fans like to wax poetic about what a great HFA the Kingdome was, but it wasn't until the team got good in the early 90's and the team actually packed the place to take advantage of the noise. for 90% of the Mariners life, the Kingdome was a morgue with barely attracting 12-15K fans.

    Baseball's just not a sport that's conducive to having a great HFA...........it's a quiet game with spurts of excitement, so any sustained energy with the crowd is virtually impossible, at least until you get to September and October.


    M's finished 12 games over .500 last year but only managed to go 41-40 at home. Fairly good record and season last year overall, pretty poor performance at home though.


    I know, but it sounds like you're blaming that on a bad home field advantage, like if we had amazing crowds and fans that'd make a difference in the win column.

    Sorry, can't go there. The M's were 41-40 at home because they were a mediocre team.

    If I'd buy any theory, I'd buy into the "Safeco's a pitcher's park which gets into our players heads" over any fault of bad fans theory.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:18 am
  • I went to tons of games in 2001. There were still people there eating and chatting and there for the social part.
    It's fricking boring to most people, but they still go to get out of the house.

    I will agree it's worse. Some idiot for the M's turned center field into some sort of night club.
    Call me old, but I could barely here myself think, the music was so loud. They must be trying to attract the young crowd that doesn't even watch.
    I used to like to go and watch the pitchers warm up. But by then, everyone out there is drunk and the music is way too loud to stand it.
    "Back in my day............. sonny".
    Sent from my Motorola Razor Flip Phone
    User avatar
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1318
    Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 am
  • ZorntoLargent wrote:I went to tons of games in 2001. There were still people there eating and chatting and there for the social part.
    It's fricking boring to most people, but they still go to get out of the house.

    I will agree it's worse. Some idiot for the M's turned center field into some sort of night club.
    Call me old, but I could barely here myself think, the music was so loud. They must be trying to attract the young crowd that doesn't even watch.
    I used to like to go and watch the pitchers warm up. But by then, everyone out there is drunk and the music is way too loud to stand it.
    "Back in my day............. sonny".


    I agree with most everything you say. Regardless of their record at home, I just don't care much for the Safeco field atmosphere and experience. It's just too laid back and seems like most the focus isn't even on the game itself. And I'm not going to compare it to a NFL crowd or basketball crowd, because baseball obviously draws a different type of person to the game. But I've been to over 10 different MLB stadiums, and Safeco just doesn't come close to most of the others. This is likely a product of a bad team. Fans won't get educated and passionate until the team get consistently good.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:31 pm
  • The M's have sucked for 14 years man.... 12 games over 500 is not something to be proud of... ever... there is no such thing as HFA in baseball... I played 1000's of games in my life and a loud crowd does absolutely nothing... you dont need to hear the pitchers calls, he is not going to audible to a curve.... noise does not effect baseball players... the game is much much slower then football..... Safeco is great.. but we suck.... such is life.
    User avatar
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 771
    Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:38 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:The M's have sucked for 14 years man.... 12 games over 500 is not something to be proud of... ever... there is no such thing as HFA in baseball... I played 1000's of games in my life and a loud crowd does absolutely nothing... you dont need to hear the pitchers calls, he is not going to audible to a curve.... noise does not effect baseball players... the game is much much slower then football..... Safeco is great.. but we suck.... such is life.


    Yep.

    I'm all for a typical M's fans are generally annoying, not paying attention, on their cell phones taking selfies aloof and not really into the game. But that's 75% of baseball fans now, most people just go because it's nice weather and it's one of the few pro sports events you can take your family to and not spend $200 a ticket.

    But if you're trying to say this tangibly affects the outcome of home games, I'm out.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:21 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:The M's have sucked for 14 years man.... 12 games over 500 is not something to be proud of... ever... there is no such thing as HFA in baseball... I played 1000's of games in my life and a loud crowd does absolutely nothing... you dont need to hear the pitchers calls, he is not going to audible to a curve.... noise does not effect baseball players... the game is much much slower then football..... Safeco is great.. but we suck.... such is life.


    Good post. I guess I just hate most Ms fans.....
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:57 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:The M's have sucked for 14 years man.... 12 games over 500 is not something to be proud of... ever... there is no such thing as HFA in baseball... I played 1000's of games in my life and a loud crowd does absolutely nothing... you dont need to hear the pitchers calls, he is not going to audible to a curve.... noise does not effect baseball players... the game is much much slower then football..... Safeco is great.. but we suck.... such is life.


    Yep.

    I'm all for a typical M's fans are generally annoying, not paying attention, on their cell phones taking selfies aloof and not really into the game. But that's 75% of baseball fans now, most people just go because it's nice weather and it's one of the few pro sports events you can take your family to and not spend $200 a ticket.

    But if you're trying to say this tangibly affects the outcome of home games, I'm out.

    That's Howard Lincoln's target demo. That's how the M's dropped the ball over the past 10 years. Too busy selling the "ballpark experience" rather than putting a quality team on the field. Now they are playing catch up and it shows. I would like to see them make wholesale changes team wise. Start looking to make trades and start up the Tacoma Shuttle until they find players that are going to contribute.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24113
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:26 am
  • We've never been built for the ballpark. Our ballpark is best suited for players that hit for a high average, with lots of speed, and outfield range. Ichiro is the only player we've had since Edgar left that can hit for average with any consistency at all, and is also the only player with any footspeed. This should be a pretty good place for Cano though.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:19 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:We've never been built for the ballpark. Our ballpark is best suited for players that hit for a high average, with lots of speed, and outfield range. Ichiro is the only player we've had since Edgar left that can hit for average with any consistency at all, and is also the only player with any footspeed. This should be a pretty good place for Cano though.

    Yep, Cano should be hitting doubles there like there is no tomorrow.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24113
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:26 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:We've never been built for the ballpark. Our ballpark is best suited for players that hit for a high average, with lots of speed, and outfield range. Ichiro is the only player we've had since Edgar left that can hit for average with any consistency at all, and is also the only player with any footspeed. This should be a pretty good place for Cano though.

    Yep, Cano should be hitting doubles there like there is no tomorrow.


    Well Cano better put up numbers now, because I doubt he will be living up to his contract in years 7-10.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:37 pm
  • Yep.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24113
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:25 pm
  • The atmosphere at Safeco sucks because morons show up in Seahawks jerseys and start Seahawks chants. Anyone who does that deserves to get kicked square in the nuts.
    Image
    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    User avatar
    Seahawks1983
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 915
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm
    Location: 509


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 pm
  • Only Seattle sports team I can think of where I feel better about their chances on the road than at home.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:04 pm
  • Seahawks1983 wrote:The atmosphere at Safeco sucks because morons show up in Seahawks jerseys and start Seahawks chants. Anyone who does that deserves to get kicked square in the nuts.


    Shouldn't that tell the M's front office on what matters in this town if you want rabid fans? Win, it's that simple.

    Most of us are old enough to remember the 95' and 01' M's, where the Kingdome and Safeco was packed full of crazy fans. It's not like the city of Seattle all of a sudden forgot how to appreciate baseball.

    It's a chicken or the egg discussion. Some of you guys want the fans to inspire the team, and I'm saying you have it backwards. Win, and the fans will be inspired to do more than just take selfies and hang out in the beer garden the entire game because we're losing 4-0 again.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:08 pm
  • I actually have looked into this. I think the stadium construction plays a role in the lack of home field advantage for the M's. It's the exact opposite of the CLINK.

    Safeco isn't connected to the field at all. It's too big of a stadium. Fan seats aren't close enough to the field. There's no connection. It's too big and spacey. Look at the cardinals new stadium or any other MLB baseball park that opened recently. They are built very tightly and consolidated. That's why I love the CLiNk so much, yeah it's for football and soccer but the same stuff still applies.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    User avatar
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2816
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:14 pm
  • My big gripe with M's fans and the atmosphere at Safeco is that it just seems like they don't care. You rarely ever here players get boo'ed with they deserve to. Fans look like they could care less that the team is losing. At least when the Seahawks and Sonics were bad the fans let them know.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:37 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:My big gripe with M's fans and the atmosphere at Safeco is that it just seems like they don't care. You rarely ever here players get boo'ed with they deserve to. Fans look like they could care less that the team is losing. At least when the Seahawks and Sonics were bad the fans let them know.


    I've been to a ton of M's, Hawks, Sonics and Sounders games..........and can count on one hand how many times I've been at a non Mariner game and heard the crowd booing our own players.

    In fact, if I was to pick WHICH of our own team's players has gotten boo'd the most, I'd pick the M's because they have the longest list of overpaid stiffs playing for them over the year. Bobby Ayala, Ken Phelps, Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexton, Russ Davis, Jose Cruz Jr, Brett Boone, Justin Smoak.....................all players I've seen in person get boo'd. These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could list 10 more players I've seen boo'd.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:12 am
  • I love Safeco, it is an absolutely FANTASTIC park to watch a game, but I do agree this team is not really built for this park offensively.
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3345
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: The Shoug


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahawks1983 wrote:The atmosphere at Safeco sucks because morons show up in Seahawks jerseys and start Seahawks chants. Anyone who does that deserves to get kicked square in the nuts.


    Shouldn't that tell the M's front office on what matters in this town if you want rabid fans? Win, it's that simple.

    Most of us are old enough to remember the 95' and 01' M's, where the Kingdome and Safeco was packed full of crazy fans. It's not like the city of Seattle all of a sudden forgot how to appreciate baseball.

    It's a chicken or the egg discussion. Some of you guys want the fans to inspire the team, and I'm saying you have it backwards. Win, and the fans will be inspired to do more than just take selfies and hang out in the beer garden the entire game because we're losing 4-0 again.


    I am with you, the wins have to come first.

    But, that doesn't excuse mouthbreathers for douching up the place.
    Image
    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    User avatar
    Seahawks1983
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 915
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm
    Location: 509


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 am
  • Crizilla wrote:I actually have looked into this. I think the stadium construction plays a role in the lack of home field advantage for the M's. It's the exact opposite of the CLINK.

    Safeco isn't connected to the field at all. It's too big of a stadium. Fan seats aren't close enough to the field. There's no connection. It's too big and spacey. Look at the cardinals new stadium or any other MLB baseball park that opened recently. They are built very tightly and consolidated. That's why I love the CLiNk so much, yeah it's for football and soccer but the same stuff still applies.


    facepalm
    Image
    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    User avatar
    Seahawks1983
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 915
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm
    Location: 509


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:19 pm
  • Kind of a silly topic. Baseball is a lot like golf in terms of what cheering can do for your performance. It's all about focus and getting into a groove, and fans can do little to help home batters get more of either. In golf would you expect a golfer to hit a better shot if you were there cheering them on? Probably not, and it might have the opposite effect actually. Baseball is the same way.
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4019
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:54 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:Kind of a silly topic. Baseball is a lot like golf in terms of what cheering can do for your performance. It's all about focus and getting into a groove, and fans can do little to help home batters get more of either. In golf would you expect a golfer to hit a better shot if you were there cheering them on? Probably not, and it might have the opposite effect actually. Baseball is the same way.


    Logic and reason have no place in this thread. Take your common sense elsewhere mister.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:16 pm
  • 1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

    Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:52 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

    Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.


    I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4019
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:01 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

    Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.


    I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?


    Have you not been paying attention? :D

    1/2 of the fans are staring at their cell phones, disco parties in center field every night, the park is not intimate enough so even when fans do cheer they cannot be heard, the mariner moose is just stupid, the only chants are for the seahawks, the only jerseys are seahawks, the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke, and the front office is trying to lose every game. All of these factors make the players sad and want to cry......
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3345
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: The Shoug


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:09 pm
  • LOL....Ive only attended a few Safeco games. Great park. They won all 3 games I went to before I moved. People need to quit bitchin' IMO.

    I saw a LOT of real bad M's teams at the Dome for MANY years. But $1.75 to get in. $2.75 for a King Beer and another $1.00 for a King Dog, and not a big deal of the play. We drove all the way from Lake Stevens too.

    Shut up and get your ass to the ballpark. (If you can afford it..hahaha)
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33673
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:42 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

    Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.


    I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?


    I didn't mention fans in that last post. I'm just talking about home-field advantage in general. Whether it means fans, or simply sleeping in your own bed and coming to the ballpark the next day. Either way, you should play better at home.

    Look at MLB standings from the past few years, most teams have better records at home than on the road. And typically the good teams play much better at home than on the road.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:41 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

    Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.


    I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?


    I didn't mention fans in that last post. I'm just talking about home-field advantage in general. Whether it means fans, or simply sleeping in your own bed and coming to the ballpark the next day. Either way, you should play better at home.

    Look at MLB standings from the past few years, most teams have better records at home than on the road. And typically the good teams play much better at home than on the road.


    Yes most teams do, but I only count 8 teams last year that had a significant HFA, meaning +10 games or more over .500 at home. Most teams had mediocre records, and therefore mediocre records at home.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/season/2014

    If you look at the standings it's not a coincidence that the teams with the best win percentages at home are also good teams.

    Btw, the M's at home over the past 5 years?

    2014 = +1
    2013 = -9
    2012 = -1
    2011 = -6
    2010 = -10

    The M's were also dead last or 2nd to last in the West over the past 5 years, a far more important stat than some sort of perceived lack of HFA due to Safeco.

    Conclusion, bad teams are bad no matter where they play.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:04 am
  • I will add that it is hard to play for a fan base that doesn't believe in you. The crowd has long grown restless. We cheer the good stuff on a hopelessly optimistic sort of way, and grow more and more frustrated with every loss and every season. There is a cumulative weight building in that building, and that culture can absolutely suffocate weak minded players, of which we have many. I would bet Seager does well at home. He's a mentally tough dude, immune to the bs. The rest get too easily sucked into the culture of not hitting or winning.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:49 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

    Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.


    I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?


    Have you not been paying attention? :D

    1/2 of the fans are staring at their cell phones, disco parties in center field every night, the park is not intimate enough so even when fans do cheer they cannot be heard, the mariner moose is just stupid, the only chants are for the seahawks, the only jerseys are seahawks, the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke, and the front office is trying to lose every game. All of these factors make the players sad and want to cry......


    Have you not been paying attention to society now a days? 1/2 of the people anywhere doing anything are staring at their cell phones. Sadly, it's just how people are in this day and age and it's not even remotely exclusive to Mariners fans at Mariners games. I guarantee you'll see the same thing at any baseball game anywhere.

    I'm not sure how Safeco becoming a desirable place for 20 somethings to hang out is a bad thing or somehow makes Safeco suck or whatever your point is, care to explain?

    Your next point is complete BS, cheers can and are heard just fine. Especially when Felix is pitching or the M's are hitting and scoring runs. Either you don't know what you're talking about or are just making up BS. Safeco gets plenty loud when there's actually something to cheer about.

    The Mariner Moose is stupid? Now your just being petty as well as making shit up. Guess what? A lot of kids go to games too and kids are generally pretty damn stoked about the moose. But hey, F them right? I mean kids probably aren't totally focused on the game 100% of the time so they suck as fans anyway right?

    Seahawks chants and Seahawks jerseys? WTF are you even talking about? I go to probably some where in the neighborhood of a dozen or so games a year and I watch most of the games I don't go to. I can't remember ever hearing a Seahawks chant at a Mariners game. And while I have seen people wearing Seahawks jerseys at Safeco, it's pretty few and far between. I do however see Mariners jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. ALL OVER Safeco field. Again, you're just making up complete and utter BS and anyone can see that fact for themselves by simply flipping on a M's game.

    And then there's this little gem, "the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke". Congratulations, that some pretty high level absurdity there. There's about a million things children can eat small pieces of and choke. Puzzle pieces, legos, rocks, the list is endless. I have 6 Mariners bobble heads, none of them are faulty. If you've ever held one it's pretty obvious, to me at least, that they aren't meant to be children's toys. They are like little statues that are surprisingly heavy for their size. If you drop one or put pressure on, say, a leg, extended arm, or neck, they will break. That doesn't make them faulty, it makes them somewhat fragile. They are meant to be displayed, not played with, which again, is pretty obvious the second you pick one up.

    Tomorrow is Robinson Cano poster day. But those posters are faulty because children could tear pieces off, ball them up, eat them, and choke. Do you see how ridiculous a statement like that is?

    "the front office is trying to lose every game", I mean, I don't really know what else to say other than that statement is dumb as hell and no one could possibly believe that unless they are too. What would the front office possibly have to gain by losing every game?

    Out of curiosity, what exactly do you have to gain by posting absurdities and straight up lies about Safeco field and Mariners fans to make them look bad?


    BTW, I do realize (now) that you were being sarcastic and poking fun at the people that actually said those things, but I wrote most of this post before that dawned on me. Oh well, posting anyway because that was too much to write to just delete.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2731
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:02 pm
  • Huh, weird. I'm watching the Mariners right now and all the sucky fans at sucky Safeco field are chanting for each batter by name and cheering loudly for hits and runs and strikeouts and stuff. When they showed the crowd, many of those chanting fans were wearing Mariners jerseys, hats, and shirts. Many of the chanting, cheering, M's gear wearing, fans are the 20 somethings "partying" in center field that some of you guys are complaining about somehow making Safeco suckier or whatever. I haven't heard a single Seahawks chant or seen a single Seahawks jersey. All this while the Mariners are in the midst of a pretty horrible slump offensively.

    It's almost like a bunch of the posts of this thread are complete bullshit or something.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2731
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:46 pm
  • 2-9 on the 11 game home-stand.....nice.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:10 pm
  • How many other teams would have Willie Bloomquist for a total of 7 years?
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 493
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:28 am
  • Kennedyin92 wrote:How many other teams would have Willie Bloomquist for a total of 7 years?


    True, but when you need a bench player with a below average OBP and Slugging percentage that's sorta fast but not really anymore, and can play multiple positions unexceptionally? ...........................Willie Bloomquist is your man.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:26 pm
  • I'd love to see O'Malley get his chance. Of course I'm biased but I don't think he could do any worse than some of the guys we have now. He can play many different positions and has pretty good speed. And yes, I realize he isn't on the 40 man roster.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 pm
  • Kennedyin92 wrote:How many other teams would have Willie Bloomquist for a total of 7 years?

    Willie is a career .270 hitter that can play 6 positions decently well, and has always been a good/great locker room guy. I can think of about 29 other teams that would love to have a guy like that for half of his career.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:29 am
  • I went to my first game in a long while on Saturday. There was a special buzz all around the place. That's what Felix does for the crowd's part of HFA. Give people something to be excited about and they get excited! Shocker!

    Wife and I sat in the King's Court. It was as close to a Hawks game as baseball can get. Everyone standing for every 2-strike count, chanting, and waving their K cards. High-fives all around, sharing snacks, talking ball, etc. If you want a festive baseball atmosphere, do yourself a favor and get one of the King's Court packages. Cool t-shirt too.

    PS: The linked site will update when they know Felix is pitching again.
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2417
    Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm
    Location: Over There


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:22 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Seahawks chants and Seahawks jerseys? WTF are you even talking about? I go to probably some where in the neighborhood of a dozen or so games a year and I watch most of the games I don't go to. I can't remember ever hearing a Seahawks chant at a Mariners game. And while I have seen people wearing Seahawks jerseys at Safeco, it's pretty few and far between. I do however see Mariners jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. ALL OVER Safeco field. Again, you're just making up complete and utter BS and anyone can see that fact for themselves by simply flipping on a M's game.




    Well, if you've never heard it, then I guess it is just made up BS.
    Image
    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    User avatar
    Seahawks1983
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 915
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm
    Location: 509


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:44 pm
  • M's leave safeco and win. No surprise. Too bad they can't play all 162 games away from Seattle.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:31 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:1-7 so far on this homestand......nice.

    Regardless of all the factors of Safeco and whether you believe in homefield advantage or not, the M's are worst at home. That's a fact.


    I mean I guess I just don't understand what you mean by home field advantage caused by fans. Could you be more specific about how fans could tangibly increase a homes teams odds of winning?


    Have you not been paying attention? :D

    1/2 of the fans are staring at their cell phones, disco parties in center field every night, the park is not intimate enough so even when fans do cheer they cannot be heard, the mariner moose is just stupid, the only chants are for the seahawks, the only jerseys are seahawks, the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke, and the front office is trying to lose every game. All of these factors make the players sad and want to cry......


    Have you not been paying attention to society now a days? 1/2 of the people anywhere doing anything are staring at their cell phones. Sadly, it's just how people are in this day and age and it's not even remotely exclusive to Mariners fans at Mariners games. I guarantee you'll see the same thing at any baseball game anywhere.

    I'm not sure how Safeco becoming a desirable place for 20 somethings to hang out is a bad thing or somehow makes Safeco suck or whatever your point is, care to explain?

    Your next point is complete BS, cheers can and are heard just fine. Especially when Felix is pitching or the M's are hitting and scoring runs. Either you don't know what you're talking about or are just making up BS. Safeco gets plenty loud when there's actually something to cheer about.

    The Mariner Moose is stupid? Now your just being petty as well as making shit up. Guess what? A lot of kids go to games too and kids are generally pretty damn stoked about the moose. But hey, F them right? I mean kids probably aren't totally focused on the game 100% of the time so they suck as fans anyway right?

    Seahawks chants and Seahawks jerseys? WTF are you even talking about? I go to probably some where in the neighborhood of a dozen or so games a year and I watch most of the games I don't go to. I can't remember ever hearing a Seahawks chant at a Mariners game. And while I have seen people wearing Seahawks jerseys at Safeco, it's pretty few and far between. I do however see Mariners jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. ALL OVER Safeco field. Again, you're just making up complete and utter BS and anyone can see that fact for themselves by simply flipping on a M's game.

    And then there's this little gem, "the bobble heads are faulty and children can eat small pieces and choke". Congratulations, that some pretty high level absurdity there. There's about a million things children can eat small pieces of and choke. Puzzle pieces, legos, rocks, the list is endless. I have 6 Mariners bobble heads, none of them are faulty. If you've ever held one it's pretty obvious, to me at least, that they aren't meant to be children's toys. They are like little statues that are surprisingly heavy for their size. If you drop one or put pressure on, say, a leg, extended arm, or neck, they will break. That doesn't make them faulty, it makes them somewhat fragile. They are meant to be displayed, not played with, which again, is pretty obvious the second you pick one up.

    Tomorrow is Robinson Cano poster day. But those posters are faulty because children could tear pieces off, ball them up, eat them, and choke. Do you see how ridiculous a statement like that is?

    "the front office is trying to lose every game", I mean, I don't really know what else to say other than that statement is dumb as hell and no one could possibly believe that unless they are too. What would the front office possibly have to gain by losing every game?

    Out of curiosity, what exactly do you have to gain by posting absurdities and straight up lies about Safeco field and Mariners fans to make them look bad?


    BTW, I do realize (now) that you were being sarcastic and poking fun at the people that actually said those things, but I wrote most of this post before that dawned on me. Oh well, posting anyway because that was too much to write to just delete.


    :thirishdrinkers: cheers boss! It was a hell of a rant :D
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3345
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: The Shoug


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:44 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:M's leave safeco and win. No surprise. Too bad they can't play all 162 games away from Seattle.



    They are 13-13 on the road so far this year.
    Image
    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    User avatar
    Seahawks1983
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 915
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm
    Location: 509


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:M's leave safeco and win. No surprise. Too bad they can't play all 162 games away from Seattle.


    Must be all the M's fans that travel and pump the team up.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:M's leave safeco and win. No surprise. Too bad they can't play all 162 games away from Seattle.


    Must be all the M's fans that travel and pump the team up.


    They play much better on the road. I don't know why, but they just do.

    They came off a 6-3 roadtrip to come home and have a 2-9 homestand. About to be 2-0 on this roadtrip.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3931
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:14 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:M's leave safeco and win. No surprise. Too bad they can't play all 162 games away from Seattle.


    Must be all the M's fans that travel and pump the team up.


    They play much better on the road. I don't know why, but they just do.

    They came off a 6-3 roadtrip to come home and have a 2-9 homestand. About to be 2-0 on this roadtrip.


    You keep saying this, but it's just not true. If you click on the link I posted up higher on this page showing home and away seasons going back to 2002, you'd see that the M's are +27 games over .500 at home.............and - 150 under .500 on the road.

    So can we stop this nonsense?

    Here are the facts about Safeco. It's a pitchers park, and the cool air is dense......... so yes our offense struggles to hit more at home than on the road. But so do visiting teams.

    But that's it, any other opinion about lame crowds or fans affecting the team's win percentage at home is nonsense. The M's since 2001 have been an average to below average team, at home AND on the road. Period.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13850
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:33 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:M's leave safeco and win. No surprise. Too bad they can't play all 162 games away from Seattle.


    Must be all the M's fans that travel and pump the team up.


    They play much better on the road. I don't know why, but they just do.

    They came off a 6-3 roadtrip to come home and have a 2-9 homestand. About to be 2-0 on this roadtrip.


    You keep saying this, but it's just not true. If you click on the link I posted up higher on this page showing home and away seasons going back to 2002, you'd see that the M's are +27 games over .500 at home.............and - 150 under .500 on the road.

    So can we stop this nonsense?

    BwaaaaaHaaaaaaaHaaaaHaaa. Of course not, this is the internet. What someone perceives to be true is much more important than what is actually true, even in the face of facts. Facts are easily disregarded or ignored when they don't fit your narrative and you can just ignore any posts that attempt to hold you accountable for what you say.

    Here are the facts about Safeco. It's a pitchers park, and the cool air is dense......... so yes our offense struggles to hit more at home than on the road. But so do visiting teams.

    But that's it, any other opinion about lame crowds or fans affecting the team's win percentage at home is nonsense. The M's since 2001 have been an average to below average team, at home AND on the road. Period.

    This.

    Any of you ever stop to think that maybe the reason the M's don't play very well at home is because they aren't a very good team?

    Nah, that would actually be like, reasonable and shit. It has to be because Safeco Field and Mariners fans suck. :roll:
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2731
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Safeco Field and Mariner Fans
Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:55 am
  • Seahawks1983 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Seahawks chants and Seahawks jerseys? WTF are you even talking about? I go to probably some where in the neighborhood of a dozen or so games a year and I watch most of the games I don't go to. I can't remember ever hearing a Seahawks chant at a Mariners game. And while I have seen people wearing Seahawks jerseys at Safeco, it's pretty few and far between. I do however see Mariners jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. ALL OVER Safeco field. Again, you're just making up complete and utter BS and anyone can see that fact for themselves by simply flipping on a M's game.




    Well, if you've never heard it, then I guess it is just made up BS.


    You're right. Just because I've never heard it doesn't mean it's never happened.

    But you stated "The atmosphere at Safeco sucks because morons show up in Seahawks jerseys and start Seahawks chants." as though this is such a common occurrence that it is the reason why the atmosphere at Safeco sucks (I strongly disagree that the atmosphere at Safeco sucks BTW). That is what is complete and utter BS.

    How many times have you heard Seahawks chants at Safeco field? Once? Twice? Again, I attend or watch the majority of Mariners games, I would even go so far as to say the vast majority, and I have never heard it. For something that in your opinion is the reason the atmosphere at Safeco sucks it sure seems to be awfully rare if it even exists at all.

    BTW, they showed a couple of fans in the stands at the Indians/M's game last night in Cleveland that were both wearing Cavaliers hats and jerseys, so does that mean that Progressive Field and Indians fans suck too or does that only apply to Safeco Field and M's fans?
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2731
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm




It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests