Safeco Field and Mariner Fans

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Do they both suck?

I love the Safe as far as a ballpark, but it really holds no home-field advantage. Last year M's played much better on the road, and so far this year Safeco hasn't been any better than the road. I go to the games and half the fans are there for the beer, food, weather or social experience. It just hit me that the M's haven't had any success at Safeco in years, even when we have had a "decent" record. At least when the Hawks sucked they managed to be very tough to play at home.

Maybe just a frustrated post by me after we had a really nice roadtrip and then come home and go 1-3 to Cleveland.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Couldn't this have gone inside the M's thread?

The moment the team starts winning games, fans will come I can pretty much guarantee that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":o58i6uq3 said:
It just hit me that the M's haven't had any success at Safeco in years.

Cause they haven't been good in years, me thinks that's not a coincidence.

Some M's fans like to wax poetic about what a great HFA the Kingdome was, but it wasn't until the team got good in the early 90's and the team actually packed the place to take advantage of the noise. for 90% of the Mariners life, the Kingdome was a morgue with barely attracting 12-15K fans.

Baseball's just not a sport that's conducive to having a great HFA...........it's a quiet game with spurts of excitement, so any sustained energy with the crowd is virtually impossible, at least until you get to September and October.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fqe5gxh said:
Hawk-Lock":2fqe5gxh said:

Some M's fans like to wax poetic about what a great HFA the Kingdome was, but it wasn't until the team got good in the early 90's and the team actually packed the place to take advantage of the noise. for 90% of the Mariners life, the Kingdome was a morgue with barely attracting 12-15K fans.

Baseball's just not a sport that's conducive to having a great HFA...........it's a quiet game with spurts of excitement, so any sustained energy with the crowd is virtually impossible, at least until you get to September and October.

M's finished 12 games over .500 last year but only managed to go 41-40 at home. Fairly good record and season last year overall, pretty poor performance at home though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":z3rnopoc said:
Sgt. Largent":z3rnopoc said:
Hawk-Lock":z3rnopoc said:

M's finished 12 games over .500 last year but only managed to go 41-40 at home. Fairly good record and season last year overall, pretty poor performance at home though.

I know, but it sounds like you're blaming that on a bad home field advantage, like if we had amazing crowds and fans that'd make a difference in the win column.

Sorry, can't go there. The M's were 41-40 at home because they were a mediocre team.

If I'd buy any theory, I'd buy into the "Safeco's a pitcher's park which gets into our players heads" over any fault of bad fans theory.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I went to tons of games in 2001. There were still people there eating and chatting and there for the social part.
It's fricking boring to most people, but they still go to get out of the house.

I will agree it's worse. Some idiot for the M's turned center field into some sort of night club.
Call me old, but I could barely here myself think, the music was so loud. They must be trying to attract the young crowd that doesn't even watch.
I used to like to go and watch the pitchers warm up. But by then, everyone out there is drunk and the music is way too loud to stand it.
"Back in my day............. sonny".

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":3ktuzz9z said:
I went to tons of games in 2001. There were still people there eating and chatting and there for the social part.
It's fricking boring to most people, but they still go to get out of the house.

I will agree it's worse. Some idiot for the M's turned center field into some sort of night club.
Call me old, but I could barely here myself think, the music was so loud. They must be trying to attract the young crowd that doesn't even watch.
I used to like to go and watch the pitchers warm up. But by then, everyone out there is drunk and the music is way too loud to stand it.
"Back in my day............. sonny".

I agree with most everything you say. Regardless of their record at home, I just don't care much for the Safeco field atmosphere and experience. It's just too laid back and seems like most the focus isn't even on the game itself. And I'm not going to compare it to a NFL crowd or basketball crowd, because baseball obviously draws a different type of person to the game. But I've been to over 10 different MLB stadiums, and Safeco just doesn't come close to most of the others. This is likely a product of a bad team. Fans won't get educated and passionate until the team get consistently good.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
The M's have sucked for 14 years man.... 12 games over 500 is not something to be proud of... ever... there is no such thing as HFA in baseball... I played 1000's of games in my life and a loud crowd does absolutely nothing... you dont need to hear the pitchers calls, he is not going to audible to a curve.... noise does not effect baseball players... the game is much much slower then football..... Safeco is great.. but we suck.... such is life.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1bm970w1 said:
The M's have sucked for 14 years man.... 12 games over 500 is not something to be proud of... ever... there is no such thing as HFA in baseball... I played 1000's of games in my life and a loud crowd does absolutely nothing... you dont need to hear the pitchers calls, he is not going to audible to a curve.... noise does not effect baseball players... the game is much much slower then football..... Safeco is great.. but we suck.... such is life.

Yep.

I'm all for a typical M's fans are generally annoying, not paying attention, on their cell phones taking selfies aloof and not really into the game. But that's 75% of baseball fans now, most people just go because it's nice weather and it's one of the few pro sports events you can take your family to and not spend $200 a ticket.

But if you're trying to say this tangibly affects the outcome of home games, I'm out.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1q8b9vlx said:

Good post. I guess I just hate most Ms fans.....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cdyizut said:
Ambrose83":1cdyizut said:

Yep.

I'm all for a typical M's fans are generally annoying, not paying attention, on their cell phones taking selfies aloof and not really into the game. But that's 75% of baseball fans now, most people just go because it's nice weather and it's one of the few pro sports events you can take your family to and not spend $200 a ticket.

But if you're trying to say this tangibly affects the outcome of home games, I'm out.
That's Howard Lincoln's target demo. That's how the M's dropped the ball over the past 10 years. Too busy selling the "ballpark experience" rather than putting a quality team on the field. Now they are playing catch up and it shows. I would like to see them make wholesale changes team wise. Start looking to make trades and start up the Tacoma Shuttle until they find players that are going to contribute.

Tical21

Reaction score
We've never been built for the ballpark. Our ballpark is best suited for players that hit for a high average, with lots of speed, and outfield range. Ichiro is the only player we've had since Edgar left that can hit for average with any consistency at all, and is also the only player with any footspeed. This should be a pretty good place for Cano though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tical21":sw7ghh5x said:
We've never been built for the ballpark. Our ballpark is best suited for players that hit for a high average, with lots of speed, and outfield range. Ichiro is the only player we've had since Edgar left that can hit for average with any consistency at all, and is also the only player with any footspeed. This should be a pretty good place for Cano though.
Yep, Cano should be hitting doubles there like there is no tomorrow.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ncueqgfu said:
Tical21":ncueqgfu said:
Yep, Cano should be hitting doubles there like there is no tomorrow.

Well Cano better put up numbers now, because I doubt he will be living up to his contract in years 7-10.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
The atmosphere at Safeco sucks because morons show up in Seahawks jerseys and start Seahawks chants. Anyone who does that deserves to get kicked square in the nuts.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Only Seattle sports team I can think of where I feel better about their chances on the road than at home.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1vf1t93z said:
The atmosphere at Safeco sucks because morons show up in Seahawks jerseys and start Seahawks chants. Anyone who does that deserves to get kicked square in the nuts.

Shouldn't that tell the M's front office on what matters in this town if you want rabid fans? Win, it's that simple.

Most of us are old enough to remember the 95' and 01' M's, where the Kingdome and Safeco was packed full of crazy fans. It's not like the city of Seattle all of a sudden forgot how to appreciate baseball.

It's a chicken or the egg discussion. Some of you guys want the fans to inspire the team, and I'm saying you have it backwards. Win, and the fans will be inspired to do more than just take selfies and hang out in the beer garden the entire game because we're losing 4-0 again.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I actually have looked into this. I think the stadium construction plays a role in the lack of home field advantage for the M's. It's the exact opposite of the CLINK.

Safeco isn't connected to the field at all. It's too big of a stadium. Fan seats aren't close enough to the field. There's no connection. It's too big and spacey. Look at the cardinals new stadium or any other MLB baseball park that opened recently. They are built very tightly and consolidated. That's why I love the CLiNk so much, yeah it's for football and soccer but the same stuff still applies.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
My big gripe with M's fans and the atmosphere at Safeco is that it just seems like they don't care. You rarely ever here players get boo'ed with they deserve to. Fans look like they could care less that the team is losing. At least when the Seahawks and Sonics were bad the fans let them know.

Latest posts