Vote on NHL Coyotes deal scheduled; Seattle watches closely

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Doesn't sound promising. But you never know.

Fairly long article.

In a stunning late night development, the City of Glendale, Arizona announced it would vote Wednesday on killing a lease deal involving the NHL's Arizona Coyotes.

The vote, scheduled for 6pm, in Arizona ready simply "DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION TO DIRECT THE CITY MANAGER AND CITY ATTORNEY TO CANCEL THE PROFESSIONAL MANAGEMENT SERVICES AND ARENA LEASE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE CITY OF GLENDALE AND ICEARIZONA MANAGER CO., LLC AND ICEARIZONA HOCKEY CO., LLC, PURSUANT TO ARIZONA REVISED STATUTES ? 38-511, AND TO PURSUE ANY AND ALL OTHER LEGAL ACTIONS AND REMEDIES NECESSARY TO EFFECTUATE CANCELLATION OR TERMINATION OF THE AGREEMENT"

It follows weeks of closed door discussions between Glendale's council members, and city attorneys, about the deal agreed upon in 2013. That deal, with the Coyotes ownership at the time, to keep the team in the Gila River Arena, was approved by just one vote.

The NHL was prepared to move the franchise elsewhere, and it has been widely reported that Ray Bartoszek had agreed in principle to purchase the Coyotes and move them to Seattle.

http://www.king5.com/story/sports/2015/ ... /28779289/

Maulbert

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3u8faf10 said:
Doesn't sound promising. But you never know.

Fairly long article.

In a stunning late night development, the City of Glendale, Arizona announced it would vote Wednesday on killing a lease deal involving the NHL's Arizona Coyotes.

The vote, scheduled for 6pm, in Arizona ready simply "DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION TO DIRECT THE CITY MANAGER AND CITY ATTORNEY TO CANCEL THE PROFESSIONAL MANAGEMENT SERVICES AND ARENA LEASE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE CITY OF GLENDALE AND ICEARIZONA MANAGER CO., LLC AND ICEARIZONA HOCKEY CO., LLC, PURSUANT TO ARIZONA REVISED STATUTES ? 38-511, AND TO PURSUE ANY AND ALL OTHER LEGAL ACTIONS AND REMEDIES NECESSARY TO EFFECTUATE CANCELLATION OR TERMINATION OF THE AGREEMENT"

It follows weeks of closed door discussions between Glendale's council members, and city attorneys, about the deal agreed upon in 2013. That deal, with the Coyotes ownership at the time, to keep the team in the Gila River Arena, was approved by just one vote.

The NHL was prepared to move the franchise elsewhere, and it has been widely reported that Ray Bartoszek had agreed in principle to purchase the Coyotes and move them to Seattle.

http://www.king5.com/story/sports/2015/ ... /28779289/

Honestly, if this happens, I'd more likely expect the NHL to favor a move to Vegas over Seattle. They've got their ducks in a row.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I bet there are some Vulcan's watching this situation very closely.....

Msfann

Reaction score
m0ng0":2qloh06i said:
spock_fascinating-resized-600.jpg

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maulbert":1yzipzgk said:
Honestly, if this happens, I'd more likely expect the NHL to favor a move to Vegas over Seattle. They've got their ducks in a row.

Vegas would certainly be an easier and cheaper move for any new potential owner..............but as far as where the NHL as a whole (commissioner and owners) would want the franchise moved? The #14 TV market > #42 market, of which is a very big unknown transient tourist market.

But I don't have my hopes up, the city of Glendale has been playing chicken with owners since the franchise began. I believe this is the 2nd or 3rd time this has happened.

CPHawk

Reaction score
m0ng0":3tt5ht1r said:

Yep, Allen was set to top any Seattle offer the last time, and I'm sure he'll make a run again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maulbert":1l28uwq6 said:

This is what happens when cities, counties and states drag their feet until the 11th hour desperately trying to keep their teams.

I fully expect this same nonsense to happen in Sacramento. When you desperately piecemeal arena deals together at the last minute because time's running out, there's no way it's going to work. Arena deals are about as complicated as it gets, too many loopholes and deficiencies rear their ugly heads over time when they're rushed.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Remember we were hours away from moving that team here with Bartoszek being the owner...

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/10/7/6 ... relocation

Until Glendale pulled that insane move, now here we are 2 years later and it all fell apart. I knew it. :34853_doh:

Well NHL, Bartoszek is building an arena, and Tukwila is fast tracking it. We still want you, you still want us, let's make it happ'n cap'n

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
If portland has the NBA and NHL it will be an uphill battle to get a team in either league.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2hcq5lqb said:
If portland has the NBA and NHL it will be an uphill battle to get a team in either league.
I disagree at least on the NHL part. The NHL wants to put a team in Seattle, they just don't have a permanent venue.
The NBA can go &$%# itself as far as I'm concerned.