US Open - Chambers Bay

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Looking forward to a tough test for the pros.

Anyone going?

Has anyone played Chambers and is it worth the $$$.

Would love to see Spieth win this one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DTexHawk":17mtlat7 said:
Has anyone played Chambers and is it worth the $$$.

I've played it twice.

It's a beautiful course, but for the average golfer it's brutal and unforgiving. I'm about a 15 handicap, and both times I barely broke 100. You could literally 4-5 putt every green if you hit it in the wrong parts. They're that hard. Tons of blind shots into greens as well. Add it the fact that the elevation changes on just about every hole wears you out to the point where when you're done it feels like you just walked a marathon. I'm in good shape, but holy moly did my legs ache the next day after playing Chambers.

I would say if you're a golfer you owe it to yourself to at least play Chambers once.........to not only take in one of the most beautiful layouts/scenery in all of golf, but to experience a US Open course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DTexHawk":e71r3sea said:
I walk most of the time but we don't have the elevation changes like there.

Did you use a caddy?

I'm a 12 currently, was under 10 for a while, but looking at pictures I would be happy breaking 100 there.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/05/27/putnams-chambers-bay.html

I did not use a caddy. It's over $100, so I was trying to save as much money as I could, so I didn't pay for a caddy.

A caddy would help in not only saving you from carrying your bag, but maybe shave a couple strokes off your score helping you read the course.

My advice would be if you do play Chambers, just go enjoy the course and don't expect to shoot well.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm going Friday. I wanted to go for a practice round too but couldn't get multiple days off this week.

I've played Chambers four times. All before it got the open, and I was paying about $55 to get out. First time, shot 84, putted well. I hit a high ball, so the contours didn't mess with me all that much. I was able to stay middle-middle for the most part and kind of luckily stayed away from the death zones. Second time, it was 50 degrees, raining and windy, and I shot 96, and almost pulled off the course several times. A couple brutal bounces put me on the wrong side of the fairway, and most of my misses absolutely jailed me. Short sided on a contour with a tough pin is almost an impossible up and down. That walk is ridiculous when you're not playing well. My goodness. I am so hoping for one day of weather, but don't think we'll get it. My other two rounds were both in the high 80's. To be honest, I didn't really think too much of the course. It's pretty, the links style thing is cool, but it doesn't run like a European course, even with the fescue.

I'm anxious to see what it looks like pushed back to the tips. I'm thinking this is a distance-control with the irons winner this week. I like Justin Rose and Jordan Spieth, although he may not have the necessary links experience.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":2vmfe1b6 said:
To be honest, I didn't really think too much of the course. It's pretty, the links style thing is cool, but it doesn't run like a European course, even with the fescue. .

It's more tricked up than most Euro links courses, especially around the greens. But yeah, the view is Chamber's saving grace as far as aesthetics. But that's what traditional links courses look like, they're not 100% green, manicured with water holes and other things that we traditionally think of of in America as what a golf course should look like.

I've played in Ireland, the courses are basically carved out cow pastures............... brown grass, spotty looking greens, unkempt rough, etc. So that's kinda what Trent Jones had in mind when designing Chambers. Let's make a true links style course, but add in our own variations and subtleties to attract a US Open.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Nice to know Washington has 2 U.S Open courses,Not many states can say that.I'm rooting for Tiger but yeah he's a longshot.I started playing just before he came on tour.My game still is way behind his even today lol..

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Have any of you that have played Chambers also played Wine Valley in Walla Walla? That's the most links style course I've played and was just curious how different it is. Obviously the elevation at Chambers is much greater and it's on the water but other than that are there some similarities?

As for the Open itself, I can't wait for it. I'm a big golf fan so to have a major just a few hours away is pretty damn cool.

Tical21

Reaction score
mbtitleist":y5s93cap said:
Have any of you that have played Chambers also played Wine Valley in Walla Walla? That's the most links style course I've played and was just curious how different it is. Obviously the elevation at Chambers is much greater and it's on the water but other than that are there some similarities?

As for the Open itself, I can't wait for it. I'm a big golf fan so to have a major just a few hours away is pretty damn cool.
Both have really big greens and fairways, but they play much differently. Chambers has drastic elevation changes on almost every hole. Even though Wine Valley is at the foot of the mountains, it is quite flat.

I have to be playing well to score at Wine Valley. In the summers, it rolls at a 14 and can be like playing on concrete. Since i'm a high-ball hitter, I have to make huge adjustments and play knock-down golf almost all the way around. You have to play to about 20 yards short of most greens and you'll get that big bounce and run. If your shot lands on the green, you're going well off the back. I never had those same issues at Chambers. At Chambers, you can play low and running shots, you have enough green to work with, but you don't necessarily need to. I did hear today from a few friends that it was playing quite a bit faster and harder today, so maybe that element will creep in.

Although Chambers looks like a links course, I've always thought it played more like a western Washington attempt at a links course. I heard it was rolling at an 11 today. I'm really anxious to see if the high-ball hitters have to change their trajectories. I'm guessing they won't have to very much, especially if we get rain on Friday.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Tical21":26fwc8kb said:
mbtitleist":26fwc8kb said:

Both have really big greens and fairways, but they play much differently. Chambers has drastic elevation changes on almost every hole. Even though Wine Valley is at the foot of the mountains, it is quite flat.

I have to be playing well to score at Wine Valley. In the summers, it rolls at a 14 and can be like playing on concrete. Since i'm a high-ball hitter, I have to make huge adjustments and play knock-down golf almost all the way around. You have to play to about 20 yards short of most greens and you'll get that big bounce and run. If your shot lands on the green, you're going well off the back. I never had those same issues at Chambers. At Chambers, you can play low and running shots, you have enough green to work with, but you don't necessarily need to. I did hear today from a few friends that it was playing quite a bit faster and harder today, so maybe that element will creep in.

Although Chambers looks like a links course, I've always thought it played more like a western Washington attempt at a links course. I heard it was rolling at an 11 today. I'm really anxious to see if the high-ball hitters have to change their trajectories. I'm guessing they won't have to very much, especially if we get rain on Friday.

Thanks for the comparison. I've played Wine Valley a handful of times and want to play Chambers someday but I just don't make it to the other side of the mountains that often. I too have to change the way I play at Wine Valley but I've actually managed to play decent out there considering it's a completely different type of course than my home course. As you said, if you try to fly it to the pin you will often be penalized. I like to joke with my friend that shots that look good usually end up terrible and not so great shots (especially ones that look short) usually end up pretty good.

My last round at Wine Valley about a month ago was bipolar. I managed to get 4 birdies which is quite good for me but still only managed to shoot 83. I have a love/hate relationship with the greens. Just a touch too much and your ball can be 10+ feet past the hole but a well struck putt will be rewarded.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I never played Chambers. I was going to, but the weather sucked when I was in the area so I didn't get to. I have played lots of good hard courses, Torrey Pines, Wolf Creek, etc...It looks like that kind of challenge.

Reports are the USGA might have gone overboard, imagine that, making the greens dry and hard, and the actual grass is sparse and lumpy. So if Links is what they want, they got it in that one aspect.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1a4ikw1f said:
I never played Chambers. I was going to, but the weather sucked when I was in the area so I didn't get to. I have played lots of good hard courses, Torrey Pines, Wolf Creek, etc...It looks like that kind of challenge.

Reports are the USGA might have gone overboard, imagine that, making the greens dry and hard, and the actual grass is sparse and lumpy. So if Links is what they want, they got it in that one aspect.

Players always complain about US Open conditions, because it's always the most difficult tournament of the year. So that'd be nothing new..........just a new course to complain about.

Golfers are spoiled, if there's one thing they hate it's the unknown. They want perfect conditions and as consistent of a surface as possible. Chambers isn't that, they're going to be moving tee boxes, and the greens at Chambers are arguably the most difficult to figure out of any Open before it.........ever.

I'll hold off on commenting on whether the course was too hard after the tournament's over. Mike Davis said that they learned their lesson about the dried out greens with the US Amateur, so I really don't think the greens are going to be as insanely fast as everyone thinks. They'll make sure they're fast, but fair.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3r6bpzvq said:
Sets up well for wee Rory, IMO. Northern Ireland and Scotland have a ton of tough links courses, so Rory's no stranger.Spieth has no chance.

Obviously you have been wearing your scarf way too tight. ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2v11gkjm said:
Scottemojo":2v11gkjm said:

Players always complain about US Open conditions, because it's always the most difficult tournament of the year. So that'd be nothing new..........just a new course to complain about.

Golfers are spoiled, if there's one thing they hate it's the unknown. They want perfect conditions and as consistent of a surface as possible. Chambers isn't that, they're going to be moving tee boxes, and the greens at Chambers are arguably the most difficult to figure out of any Open before it.........ever.

I'll hold off on commenting on whether the course was too hard after the tournament's over. Mike Davis said that they learned their lesson about the dried out greens with the US Amateur, so I really don't think the greens are going to be as insanely fast as everyone thinks. They'll make sure they're fast, but fair.

The USGA is punitive, not fair. early pictures of the greens are far from fair, they are in fact looking like the USGA might have killed grass prepping for the tourney.

The USGA is so obsessed with making sure they keep most above par that they create a course that will punish good shots. To me, that is the definition of unfair.

Tical21

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2su7wlet said:
Sgt. Largent":2su7wlet said:
Scottemojo":2su7wlet said:

The USGA is punitive, not fair. early pictures of the greens are far from fair, they are in fact looking like the USGA might have killed grass prepping for the tourney.

The USGA is so obsessed with making sure they keep most above par that they create a course that will punish good shots. To me, that is the definition of unfair.
I sure hope this isn't going to be the case. I heard one of the vets today, Furyk I believe, say something to the effect of not being able to tell where the course or designer wants him to hit the ball on the fairways or greens. They're making it sound like luck is going to have a lot to do with it. We're going to have to see.

I still think though that the course favors a high ball hitter with distance control more so than a low-ball wind player. We're still in western Washington. It looks like Europe, but it ain't.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I hope that is the case, Tical. I would feel bad if the course took a beating publicly for how hard it is when the USGA are the ones making it hard.

If the putting surface is bumpy, that will be the one error that the USGA will not be able to overcome.

Hawker

Reaction score
The course looks great. Will be there again today and really looking forward to going all four days this weekend as well. From what I saw Mon-Tues, most of the players had no difficulty aiming for the pins - and hitting their shots CLOSE. I've never seen anything like it - 225 yard iron shots all ending up no farther than 10 feet from the hole.

It will be interesting to see how the course plays over the weekend, when the pin placements relocate, and so too will some of the tee boxes.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Hawker":7ea0duwk said:
The course looks great. Will be there again today and really looking forward to going all four days this weekend as well. From what I saw Mon-Tues, most of the players had no difficulty aiming for the pins - and hitting their shots CLOSE. I've never seen anything like it - 225 yard iron shots all ending up no farther than 10 feet from the hole.

It will be interesting to see how the course plays over the weekend, when the pin placements relocate, and so too will some of the tee boxes.

Will be glued to Golf channel this week but would appreciate your thoughts being right there.

Tical21

Reaction score
DTexHawk":265cktth said:
Hawker":265cktth said:

Will be glued to Golf channel this week but would appreciate your thoughts being right there.
I've watched way too much golf channel this week. They haven't really said anything interesting, and at this point the coverage is incredibly redundant, but it is Tacoma, WA! C'mon! How cool is this??

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1xjdomv6 said:
Hawker":1xjdomv6 said:

THIS.

Thank you.

:thirishdrinkers: