Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

NHL to announce opening of formal expansion process

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hoc ... on-process

The NHL is expected to announce that the league's board of governors has approved the opening of a formal expansion process,

C'mon Seattle!! :thirishdrinkers:

Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• So, who is bidding for Seattle then? Don't we need to throw down $500 mil to get an expansion team?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I'm assuming..... not word yet, but the Ray Bartoszek, Bill Russell, Fred Brown and Jerry Lee group.

If those guys are building an arena in Tukwila for the NHL, seems logical they will be going full speed at an expansion team.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:So, who is bidding for Seattle then? Don't we need to throw down $500 mil to get an expansion team?

You don't need anymore Seattle sports teams. Your stress level is already too high with football and baseball.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• "Ownership group", so someone representing Seattle has already expressed interest to NHL. Wonder who?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Vegas is a lock already according to all reports meaning that it is down to us and Quebec. Quebec has everything ready in terms of support and an arena. They only thing they have against them is the fact that they would be placed in the Eastern Conference and the NHL does not want to add another team to the east.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• You never know with the NHL.

We know they want to be in the Seattle market, they've expressed that before. They know what kind of fans we have up here, they love this location! I have no doubt that team will be supported here, do you?

The arena... Tukwila will happen, that city wants it to happen, they're going to fast track it. Just watch. Ray Bartoszek will make this happen.

NHLtoSeattle just tweeted this:

graham ‏@grahamular 34 minutes ago
    If you want @NHLtoSeattle, pay attention to the next month. You'll see who actually supports it, and who is just paying lip service.

Bill Bored ‏@twisted_steel 7 minutes ago
    @grahamular @BringBackSonics @NHLtoSeattle Do we have any idea who (which ownership group) is representing Seattle in the bid for a team?

NHLtoSeattle ‏@NHLtoSeattle 7 minutes ago
    @twisted_steel @grahamular @BringBackSonics I would not assume there will be only one for the Seattle area.

Maybe multiple groups??
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Seattle would be a great hockey town.. and it will be nice to see a 2nd pro team finally added to the city.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• need a rink first...not missing much if nhl goes elsewhere
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:Seattle would be a great hockey town.. and it will be nice to see a 2nd pro team finally added to the city.

:D I see what you did there.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• I know I'm Debbie Downer, but, first, I think Quebec has a leg up on us with the structure and automatic fan support in place. Secondly, I don't see us as a hugely successful hockey town. Unlike soccer, hockey isn't a yuppie or techy sport. I know the T-birds have had a faithful following, but I don't know that there are enough sports fans in this area intrigued enough by hockey to support it after the christening wears off.

However, if it gets the NBA here, I have both feet firmly on board. You know Chris Hansen is a very intrigued individual. He was on for a couple hours with Softy a few weeks ago, I might want to find the podcast and take a listen.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:I know I'm Debbie Downer, but, first, I think Quebec has a leg up on us with the structure and automatic fan support in place. Secondly, I don't see us as a hugely successful hockey town. Unlike soccer, hockey isn't a yuppie or techy sport. I know the T-birds have had a faithful following, but I don't know that there are enough sports fans in this area intrigued enough by hockey to support it after the christening wears off.

I have to disagree. NHL hockey would explode here. This area is ideal for so many reasons. Quebec City may have the hockey pedigree, but the Frenchies already have a team in Montreal. Expanding your franchise is about making money, and the NHL would make a killing here. If the choice is between here and Quebec City, we have it in the bag and the NHL would be stupefyingly dim to pass up an opportunity to reach a nearly untapped market full of very well paid tech sector workers.

Pretty much every sports fan I know would be all over this in perpetuity.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• You would have thought the relative population sizes would be a in huge favour of Seattle. Something like 3.6m people versus 700k.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• SmokinHawk wrote:... and the NHL would be stupefyingly dim...

Remember, this is Gary Bettman we're talking about here.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• UK_Seahawk wrote:You would have thought the relative population sizes would be a in huge favour of Seattle. Something like 3.6m people versus 700k.

Seattle has all the advantages............other than political climate.

But $$$$ trumps all when it comes to pro sports, so as long as there's an NHL ownership group willing to jump through all the hoops (or the majority of hoops) that Hansen had to jump through in order to put hockey first with the arena? Then it should happen.

The NHL would love to bridge the geographical area between Vancouver and California, AND add one of the most affluent markets in the US to their sport.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• So it seems there are 3 groups working independently of each other and with separate agendas to build arenas in SoDO, Tukwila AND Bellevue?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote: Unlike soccer, hockey isn't a yuppie or techy sport.

Neither is football.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• m0ng0 wrote:So it seems there are 3 groups working independently of each other and with separate agendas to build arenas in SoDO, Tukwila AND Bellevue?

Interesting.

Dug up these old articles, wonder how accurate they were and if they're involved now.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/04/wayne-gret ... n-seattle/ July 4, 2014

Wayne Gretzky has joined a group of investors hoping to bring a National Hockey League team to Seattle, The Post has learned.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/12/3/5 ... na-project Dec 3, 2013

With all of that in mind, Chris Daniels of King 5 News in Seattle is reporting that former NHL star Jeremy Roenick was in Seattle on Monday participating in a meeting with the arena project's primary figure head, Chris Hansen, and an investment group to discuss the potential of an expansion franchise in The Emerald City
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Well the Hansen group is out because they want the NBA first, I don't see him building an arena without a basketball team in place at least in principle.

Does Hansen allow the building of a multi purpose arena in Tukwila that is intended for hockey but "could" also house a basketball team? Could he throw a wrench into the other groups plans somehow? Would he?

What does the NBA do in 5 years when they decide (hypothetically) on expansion? Do they go with the beautiful arena in Tukwila or Hansens blueprints?

Would Hansen be open to owning a team playing its games in someone else's arena.......in Tukwila?

Does he break ground his own multi purpose arena and compete head to head for dollars with a hockey team in a beautiful building while his new expansion team (which would likely suck for 5 years) plays its first 2 years in a Key Arena that is 5 years older?

Whomever builds the building first will own Seattle's winter sports dollar, I don't think Hansen could sell the city of Seattle on a publicly funded new arena when a more then capable one exists in Tukwila.

What happens if the Tukwila ownership group has no intention of owning an NBA team or sharing their building with an NBA team?

I know you want hockey, will it work in the "burbs" Would the NBA also work there?

I hope it works, but one could potentially ruin your chances for the other.

And on the other hand a building could bring both (hopefully)

I would really relish the idea of the rivalry between the Portland Coyotes :D The Seattle expansion team and the Vancouver Canucks.......that would be AWESOME!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Wayne Gretzky has joined a group of investors hoping to bring a National Hockey League team to Seattle, The Post has learned.

With all of that in mind, Chris Daniels of King 5 News in Seattle is reporting that former NHL star Jeremy Roenick was in Seattle on Monday participating in a meeting with the arena project's primary figure head, Chris Hansen, and an investment group to discuss the potential of an expansion franchise in The Emerald City

This is gigantic. If guys like Roenick and Gretsky are the face of any ownership group, the league is going to listen.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I think it would be sweet to have a Hockey team back in Seattle. Home of the 1st US Stanely cup champions, Seattle Metropolitans, who were also an Expansion team.

Edit: So does that give us back a Trophy we lost due the team folding? After all its was a Seattle Team.
    Conference Championship: NFC: 2005, 2013, 2014
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Superbowl Championship: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• I'm getting so ahead of myself.... if this doesn't happen I'm going to be so sad. :cry:

But what do you guys think about the names Pilots or Krakens?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/913 ... ept/page-3

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1613539

I've really warmed up to the Pilots thing, we have history with that name, (the old baseball team), the colors are great and seem to really represent the northwest.... kinda diggin it.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:I'm getting so ahead of myself.... if this doesn't happen I'm going to be so sad. :cry:

But what do you guys think about the names Pilots or Krakens?

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/913 ... ept/page-3

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1613539

I've really warmed up to the Pilots thing, we have history with that name, (the old baseball team), the colors are great and seem to really represent the northwest.... kinda diggin it.

I like it :th2thumbs: .. minus the alt green. Maybe if they used the wolf gray kind of like our current Hawks uniforms. And maybe same concept in terms of for alternative jersey they do white's instead of wolf gray and for road games wear the wolf grays lol. Idk that Alt just hurts my eyes. The blue works, the gray and green works, but the middle 3 colors shown on that palette do not look good together with that blue and green.
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014

The Radish
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:I know I'm Debbie Downer, but, first, I think Quebec has a leg up on us with the structure and automatic fan support in place. Secondly, I don't see us as a hugely successful hockey town. Unlike soccer, hockey isn't a yuppie or techy sport. I know the T-birds have had a faithful following, but I don't know that there are enough sports fans in this area intrigued enough by hockey to support it after the christening wears off.

I have to disagree. NHL hockey would explode here. This area is ideal for so many reasons. Quebec City may have the hockey pedigree, but the Frenchies already have a team in Montreal. Expanding your franchise is about making money, and the NHL would make a killing here. If the choice is between here and Quebec City, we have it in the bag and the NHL would be stupefyingly dim to pass up an opportunity to reach a nearly untapped market full of very well paid tech sector workers.

Pretty much every sports fan I know would be all over this in perpetuity.

I agree 110%, well said!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Still think this would be the best name. Alliteration, double meaning, and it fits locally, instead of just being a generic name that could work in any city (opening myself to attack here), ie Metropolitans.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Image

Still think this would be the best name. Alliteration, double meaning, and it fits locally, instead of just being a generic name that could work in any city (opening myself to attack here), ie Metropolitans.

See I've see a lot I like, great names and ideas and concepts, but I keep seeing color schemes that don't look good together, or don't fit imo the "Seattle style" I guess on one hand as a Seattle sports fan I've become spoiled by our unique color schemes, with the Mariners, to the Sonics bright green and gold, to the sounders and seahawks.

The Radish
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• The Pilot reminds me of Red Baron Pizza.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• That Sockeyes colors and uniforms are beyond ugly. Yuck.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

• dopeboy206 wrote:That Sockeyes colors and uniforms are beyond ugly. Yuck.

I posted it more for the name. Jerseys and logos can come later.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:The Pilot reminds me of Red Baron Pizza.

or a fancy Pmedic! 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:The Pilot reminds me of Red Baron Pizza.

or a fancy Pmedic! 8)

Some people mentioned that on the board I found that at, I think it should be more of an updated pilot logo, something more modern? Versus the Red Baron/barnstormer type look.

But that secondary logo looks great, with the S and the wings.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Pilots sounds meh. Sockeyes is unique.. I can get behind that one.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Sockeyes sounds lame.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

• dopeboy206 wrote:Sockeyes sounds lame.

No, Metropolitans sounds lame. But people want to hold onto it because of "Tradition". Who cares what a 1910's hockey team was called. Most team names from that era sucked.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Ice Hawks
    Ice Dogs
    Jimmies
    Scrotes
    Grunge
    Gridlock
    Passive-Aggressives
    Fish
    Pot smokin' Dante's

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• This has turned into the cutest little thread ever, I am waiting for paper dolls and mockups.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:

This is gigantic. If guys like Roenick and Gretsky are the face of any ownership group, the league is going to listen.

Gretzky has backed out, blaming Chambers Bay.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:Ice Hawks
    Ice Dogs
    Jimmies
    Scrotes
    Grunge
    Gridlock
    Passive-Aggressives
    Fish
    Pot smokin' Dante's

How about
    LOB on ice
    Icehawks
    Pilots
    Killer Whales
    Osprey
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• dopeboy206 wrote:Sockeyes sounds lame.

Have to agree. Prefer Steelheads or even Chinooks if it's going to be a salmon species.
    F E E L I N G L I K E 2 0 1 3 A L L O V E R A G A I N !
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

• Seattle Politicians, nobody can score in this town with them here, good name for a Hockey team if you ask me :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Seattle Politicians, nobody can score in this town with them here, good name for a Hockey team if you ask me :)

Ain't that the truth.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• AbsolutNET wrote:
    Tical21 wrote: Unlike soccer, hockey isn't a yuppie or techy sport.

Neither is football.

I agree. Though my premis is admittedly unscientific, I've always found that football and hockey fans tend to be the same people.

Football and hockey fans want to watch men who act like men, play tough, play hurt, bloody, get blown up and get back hurt, high physicality, big time action. And they tend not to be fans of the slow pace and unwritten rules of baseball, or the whining and diving in basketball and soccer.

If Everrett, Seattle, Tri-Cities, Portland and Spokane can have long-standing WHL franchises, the region can rally behind an NHL team. If its an expansion team you'll get 5 years or so of top 5 picks; if its Arizona or Florida moving here you get some really nice young players coming with them.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• kobebryant wrote:
    Football and hockey fans want to watch men who act like men, play tough, play hurt, bloody, get blown up and get back hurt, high physicality, big time action. And they tend not to be fans of the slow pace and unwritten rules of baseball, or the whining and diving in basketball and soccer.

Football and hockey are violent sports, so in general football and hockey fans are more working class, blue collar type fans. Although considering football and hockey are the most expensive tickets to purchase, that's not really who you see in the stands anymore.

Soccer fans in the US are vastly different than soccer fans in other parts of the world, far more affluent and hipstery. Go to Europe, Mexico or South America and soccer fans are far more like our football and hockey fans. Loud, belligerent and working class.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Tukwila is full steam ahead.

I have a good feeling about this... Tukwila wants this arena built, Bartoszek wants a team. His group and Tukwila are gonna get this done. :th2thumbs:
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• As long as we get an NHL team I don't care where the arena is.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• It's amazing to see that the city council of Tukwila can complete their EIN in literally months, while it took the city and county in Seattle years.

Maybe the complications from the two different sites has something to do with it. But IMO it's more about the gross dysfunction, palm greasing needed and bureaucracy in Seattle that made the EIN take so long.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seattle City Council has been the biggest road block, the Mayors well we know how much impact they have had at doing things, bike paths and trolly cars yes, Arenas not so much.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Tukwila is the best damn place to put it, too. The entire town is one big parking lot, and you have every form of mass transit offered in the Greater Seattle area available, including the Sounder, Metro, Rapid Ride, Community Transit, SoundTransit, and the Link Light Rail all right in the area. Not to mention it sits on top of all three major highways in the area, I-5, I-405, and Highway 99.

Tukwila is an ideal location, honestly. The train and light rail make it so easy.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information