Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:17 pm
  • Anybody watching the girls???

    Holy cow.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16331
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in
Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:26 pm
  • Can you spot the Seahawk fan?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436138797.527427.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436138797.527427.jpg (153.77 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16331
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:59 pm
  • I am watching and have been surprised by the board's non-interest. Fun game, and they were sooooo close to setting the shut out record (tied it, at least).
    Super Bowl Champions XLVIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 16946
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:07 pm
  • The 4th goal was unlike anything I've ever seen. Unbelievable.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3857
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:11 pm
  • Just minutes after Japan makes it 4-2, USA answers it with a goal of their own, now 5-2.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 941
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:56 pm
  • Yup, the girls did pretty dang well. Showed their strengths in this game. Well done Ladies.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7716
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:57 pm
  • U-S-A!
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 12684
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:57 pm
  • Congrats USA women. Well done.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16331
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:32 pm
  • GJ they found offense at the end.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3861
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:50 pm
  • Stupendous stuff. Well deserved WC championship.
    Super Bowl Champions XLVIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 16946
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:59 pm
  • I'll add a bit more tomorrow but I watched a god portion of the tournament. It was very entertaining. Women's side of the game is developing quickly and it showed in a very competitive tournament.

    Lots of tactical acumen, some stupendous technical ability and a bit of flair... Without some of the nonsense you see in the men's game.

    Well done by the US as well. They came into the tournament as part of a top group of 4 teams and held their nerve throughout. It was no given they would win the tournament when it started and tonight might have ben their most heavily favored game.

    Anyways... Good for the game. Women's side here in the US is very productive in terms of D1 schools and scholarships. It's great to see the game celebrated.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:34 pm
  • Image
    User avatar
    RApollos
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 57
    Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:49 pm


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:15 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Anybody watching the girls???

    Holy cow.

    I did and that was with our new generation girls. With LaRue on the bench with Abby!

    Number three my ass. :thfight7:

    Rapinoe may just be the best woman midfielder in the world from a technical aspect. It's like watching a man out there with how she takes care of the ball while playing at a speed few can even try. And she's a little pixie. :th2thumbs:
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:12 pm
  • You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9628
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:48 pm
  • Carli Lloyd is the most frustrating player to watch I've ever seen.

    She can very easily be the best woman in the world, but at the same time she has this "I Have to do it alone" mentality....


    Jill Ellis did a great job balancing her squad defensively, and with the personalities in it. Lloyd as a free roaming #10 with lax defensive responsibilities is one of the reasons we won the tournament. That's where she is best. Let her do her thing, and once she gets hot, the goals won't stop coming. 4th strait game with a goal I think? Solid management.


    Rapinoe (Seattle Reign player, btw, you can go see her play locally) was phenomenal all tournament, and was arguably our most important player in the group stage. Carried the team through the tough bits.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:15 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.

    That will come when the money gets bigger. I'm just enjoying the fact that the game is growing and that there are more and more top tier teams.

    There were 24 teams and at least 20 of them played the game a top tier level. That's exciting to me.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:31 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.


    There was plenty of it in the tournament from the diva countries (the ones with talent before the insane parity drop-off) but good on Japan for not falling into the habit.

    Anyone else find it ironic that Hope Solo got the gold gloves award? :box:
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3102
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:58 am
  • Smurf wrote:

    Jill Ellis did a great job balancing her squad defensively, and with the personalities in it. Lloyd as a free roaming #10 with lax defensive responsibilities is one of the reasons we won the tournament. That's where she is best. Let her do her thing, and once she gets hot, the goals won't stop coming. 4th strait game with a goal I think? Solid management.




    Ellis finally got it right in the end.

    But let's not mask the inefficiencies this team showed in the group stages, especially going forward. They didn't look capable of standing up to a France or Germany early on. Ellis switched formations, moving to a 4-4-1-1 after struggling in a straight 4-4-2 through the group stages.

    The "defensiveness" of the group through most of the tournament can be more attributed to a lack of end product by its opponents. Without Solo I'm not sure the US beat Australia, for example. The sinking of the wingers to midfielders and allowing them to press forward through the middle instead of tracking back helped close out play through what was a very open US middle. It also gave the US a chance to counter with their speed and technical ability, something they struggled to do early on. Their goals against China and Germany, for example, were against the run of play. They were able to win possession higher up the field (their possession from the back was poor) and move through the center of the field and not just rely on going wide, then crossing.

    Lloyd's "revival" if you will came with this transition. She was no longer left on her own up top with half a field, but moving forward through the middle as part of a quick counter. Her something like 7 goals over the last 4 games shows that.

    Again, they got it right against Germany, moving to a high press D that forced teams to play over them. But that was not the case until the middle part of China.

    The women's game has gotten infinitely more competitive across the world. This was a fine showing by the US to win it. It's no longer easy to assume the US "should" win. Only "could."

    Also, what does money have to do with "flopping?"
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:32 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.


    I coach U16 girls, and some of the do try to dive, but very few of them can pull it off and sell it.

    People think diving is easy, but it's not. It takes quite a bit of practice and athletic skill to sell a dive.

    Not saying the women aren't as athletic as the men in soccer, but the men have been practicing the speed, pace and athletic skill of diving for literally decades longer than the women.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:00 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.


    I coach U16 girls, and some of the do try to dive, but very few of them can pull it off and sell it.

    People think diving is easy, but it's not. It takes quite a bit of practice and athletic skill to sell a dive.

    Not saying the women aren't as athletic as the men in soccer, but the men have been practicing the speed, pace and athletic skill of diving for literally decades longer than the women.



    Ridiculous...
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:11 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.


    I coach U16 girls, and some of the do try to dive, but very few of them can pull it off and sell it.

    People think diving is easy, but it's not. It takes quite a bit of practice and athletic skill to sell a dive.

    Not saying the women aren't as athletic as the men in soccer, but the men have been practicing the speed, pace and athletic skill of diving for literally decades longer than the women.



    Ridiculous...


    Yes I'm sure the women just care more about the purity of the sport, and not gaining advantage through diving.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 am
  • I'm sure the women not diving has very little to do with their athletic or acting ability.

    They don't dive because its not a part of the women's soccer culture. It may become. But it's not right now. I wouldn't look for reasons. I coach lot's of girls. It's just not part of how they play. The less they see it at the higher levels the less inclined they will be to mimic it as they grow older

    As a coach you should be more inclined to appreciate it for what it is.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I'm sure the women not diving has very little to do with their athletic or acting ability.

    They don't dive because its not a part of the women's soccer culture. It may become. But it's not right now. I wouldn't look for reasons. I coach lot's of girls. It's just not part of how they play. The less they see it at the higher levels the less inclined they will be to mimic it as they grow older

    As a coach you should be more inclined to appreciate it for what it is.


    I do see diving with my girls, but like I said 90% of them aren't good at it, so they don't even try.

    I know it's a dirty little secret in the sport of soccer, but diving is an acquired skill that takes a player decades to master. Guys like Ronaldo and Suarez aren't amazing divers because they were born with that skill. They've been perfecting the art of diving since they were probably 8 years old.

    The women's game just hasn't had enough time for it's players to master diving. I'm sure if you go back to men's professional soccer in the 40's and 50's, you'd hardly see any diving, if at all. That's kinda where the women's game is now as far as diving is concerned.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:50 am
  • http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/06/420514899/what-people-are-saying-about-the-u-s-women-s-world-cup-win

    "It is the highest metered market rating ever for a soccer game in the U.S. on a single network," the company says.

    While some 17 million American viewers tuned in to the 7 p.m. ET start of Sunday's game, that number quickly grew to 21.86 million an hour later — and reached 22.86 million at 8:30 p.m. ET, according to preliminary data from industry website TV Media Insights.

    Those figures are comparable to the 2014 World Series' Game 7, which attracted 23.5 million viewers — far more than any other game of the 2014 series.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19298
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:55 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I'm sure the women not diving has very little to do with their athletic or acting ability.

    They don't dive because its not a part of the women's soccer culture. It may become. But it's not right now. I wouldn't look for reasons. I coach lot's of girls. It's just not part of how they play. The less they see it at the higher levels the less inclined they will be to mimic it as they grow older

    As a coach you should be more inclined to appreciate it for what it is.


    I do see diving with my girls, but like I said 90% of them aren't good at it, so they don't even try.

    I know it's a dirty little secret in the sport of soccer, but diving is an acquired skill that takes a player decades to master. Guys like Ronaldo and Suarez aren't amazing divers because they were born with that skill. They've been perfecting the art of diving since they were probably 8 years old.

    The women's game just hasn't had enough time for it's players to master diving. I'm sure if you go back to men's professional soccer in the 40's and 50's, you'd hardly see any diving, if at all. That's kinda where the women's game is now as far as diving is concerned.



    I'm a bit surprised by your take on it.

    The girl's dont try because it's not in their mindset to try. It's not part of their soccer DNA. It's not that they are limited physically. They don't approach the game the way in which the men do. you see it in a lot of different aspects. I have a few on my team that try and dive. many don't. Why? because the two that do are good at it? Or because they think its part of their game while the other's don't? (and to be clear, this is simulation/diving, not going down under contact.)

    Why don't the women take on defenders like Messi and Ronaldo? Because they haven't mastered the art? Or because they play a different way?

    If you go back to the Men's game in the 40s and 50s you won't see diving because the game was far more physical. It was played differently. Contact was more acceptable. It was more viscous. Diving wouldn't get you anything (except a stamp) The game has changed. its more free flowing, more fluid, "prettier." Today, players feel it gives them an advantage. They didn't adopt it because they were learning.

    and it's not as difficult as you're making it out to be. It's not "acquired"... some guys just do it. most do not. It's a mental choice as to how they view the game and their role in it.

    Playing through college we all "could" dive. Some of us did. Most of us didn't bother. Why? Because it wasn't how we approached the game.

    You're trying to find a timeline reflective of the men's sport without acknowledging the key differences in the way the game is played between the sexes, between the continents, and between the ages. If you approach your coaching this way you are greatly impeding your own ways to make your team (your daughter) better.

    Just my opinion. the sport can be rooted in traditionalist nonsense and ignorance. I could go on for days.

    My thought on the way in which the women approach the game is they recognize the strengths of their merits over deceit.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:26 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I'm sure the women not diving has very little to do with their athletic or acting ability.

    They don't dive because its not a part of the women's soccer culture. It may become. But it's not right now. I wouldn't look for reasons. I coach lot's of girls. It's just not part of how they play. The less they see it at the higher levels the less inclined they will be to mimic it as they grow older

    As a coach you should be more inclined to appreciate it for what it is.


    I do see diving with my girls, but like I said 90% of them aren't good at it, so they don't even try.

    I know it's a dirty little secret in the sport of soccer, but diving is an acquired skill that takes a player decades to master. Guys like Ronaldo and Suarez aren't amazing divers because they were born with that skill. They've been perfecting the art of diving since they were probably 8 years old.

    The women's game just hasn't had enough time for it's players to master diving. I'm sure if you go back to men's professional soccer in the 40's and 50's, you'd hardly see any diving, if at all. That's kinda where the women's game is now as far as diving is concerned.



    I'm a bit surprised by your take on it.

    The girl's dont try because it's not in their mindset to try. It's not part of their soccer DNA. It's not that they are limited physically. They don't approach the game the way in which the men do. you see it in a lot of different aspects. I have a few on my team that try and dive. many don't. Why? because the two that do are good at it? Or because they think its part of their game while the other's don't? (and to be clear, this is simulation/diving, not going down under contact.)

    Why don't the women take on defenders like Messi and Ronaldo? Because they haven't mastered the art? Or because they play a different way?

    If you go back to the Men's game in the 40s and 50s you won't see diving because the game was far more physical. It was played differently. Contact was more acceptable. It was more viscous. Diving wouldn't get you anything (except a stamp) The game has changed. its more free flowing, more fluid, "prettier." Today, players feel it gives them an advantage. They didn't adopt it because they were learning.

    and it's not as difficult as you're making it out to be. It's not "acquired"... some guys just do it. most do not. It's a mental choice as to how they view the game and their role in it.

    Playing through college we all "could" dive. Some of us did. Most of us didn't bother. Why? Because it wasn't how we approached the game.

    You're trying to find a timeline reflective of the men's sport without acknowledging the key differences in the way the game is played between the sexes, between the continents, and between the ages. If you approach your coaching this way you are greatly impeding your own ways to make your team (your daughter) better.

    Just my opinion. the sport can be rooted in traditionalist nonsense and ignorance. I could go on for days.

    My thought on the way in which the women approach the game is they recognize the strengths of their merits over deceit.


    Playing differently, or the women having their own style of play doesn't exclude them from trying to bend the rules, or gain an advantage........which is the intent of diving.

    I also know it's sacrilege to call diving "an art" because it has such a negative connotation to it. So if you're going to risk injury, being boo'd and even a yellow card for diving if caught...........then yes you have to have practiced it and learned all the nuances of diving before taking that to the pitch. Which can only happen over a long period of time and practice. Just something women in general in the game of soccer aren't comfortable doing.

    Not less athletic, not less anything...........just not comfortable, especially on the world's biggest stage. Which btw, you also see less diving in the men's World Cup, because the matches mean so much. No time for nonsense.

    I have watched quite a few women's college soccer and pro matches, and you do see more diving and "gamesmanship" in those matches than something like the World Cup.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:31 pm
  • Brazil is really bad about it, especially Marta and Erika.

    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3102
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:12 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I'm sure the women not diving has very little to do with their athletic or acting ability.

    They don't dive because its not a part of the women's soccer culture. It may become. But it's not right now. I wouldn't look for reasons. I coach lot's of girls. It's just not part of how they play. The less they see it at the higher levels the less inclined they will be to mimic it as they grow older

    As a coach you should be more inclined to appreciate it for what it is.


    I do see diving with my girls, but like I said 90% of them aren't good at it, so they don't even try.

    I know it's a dirty little secret in the sport of soccer, but diving is an acquired skill that takes a player decades to master. Guys like Ronaldo and Suarez aren't amazing divers because they were born with that skill. They've been perfecting the art of diving since they were probably 8 years old.

    The women's game just hasn't had enough time for it's players to master diving. I'm sure if you go back to men's professional soccer in the 40's and 50's, you'd hardly see any diving, if at all. That's kinda where the women's game is now as far as diving is concerned.



    I'm a bit surprised by your take on it.

    The girl's dont try because it's not in their mindset to try. It's not part of their soccer DNA. It's not that they are limited physically. They don't approach the game the way in which the men do. you see it in a lot of different aspects. I have a few on my team that try and dive. many don't. Why? because the two that do are good at it? Or because they think its part of their game while the other's don't? (and to be clear, this is simulation/diving, not going down under contact.)

    Why don't the women take on defenders like Messi and Ronaldo? Because they haven't mastered the art? Or because they play a different way?

    If you go back to the Men's game in the 40s and 50s you won't see diving because the game was far more physical. It was played differently. Contact was more acceptable. It was more viscous. Diving wouldn't get you anything (except a stamp) The game has changed. its more free flowing, more fluid, "prettier." Today, players feel it gives them an advantage. They didn't adopt it because they were learning.

    and it's not as difficult as you're making it out to be. It's not "acquired"... some guys just do it. most do not. It's a mental choice as to how they view the game and their role in it.

    Playing through college we all "could" dive. Some of us did. Most of us didn't bother. Why? Because it wasn't how we approached the game.

    You're trying to find a timeline reflective of the men's sport without acknowledging the key differences in the way the game is played between the sexes, between the continents, and between the ages. If you approach your coaching this way you are greatly impeding your own ways to make your team (your daughter) better.

    Just my opinion. the sport can be rooted in traditionalist nonsense and ignorance. I could go on for days.

    My thought on the way in which the women approach the game is they recognize the strengths of their merits over deceit.


    Playing differently, or the women having their own style of play doesn't exclude them from trying to bend the rules, or gain an advantage........which is the intent of diving.

    I also know it's sacrilege to call diving "an art" because it has such a negative connotation to it. So if you're going to risk injury, being boo'd and even a yellow card for diving if caught...........then yes you have to have practiced it and learned all the nuances of diving before taking that to the pitch. Which can only happen over a long period of time and practice. Just something women in general in the game of soccer aren't comfortable doing.

    Not less athletic, not less anything...........just not comfortable, especially on the world's biggest stage. Which btw, you also see less diving in the men's World Cup, because the matches mean so much. No time for nonsense.

    I have watched quite a few women's college soccer and pro matches, and you do see more diving and "gamesmanship" in those matches than something like the World Cup.


    36 years of playing and coaching, including college, working with an MLS team and (assisting as a coach) with a semi pro team.

    never seen one person "practice" diving. Gamesmanship (shirt tug, stamp, etc..), sure. But not diving.

    There is a good chance they are not "comfortable" diving because they don't view it as part of how they play... much like how 95% of the men on the field do not either. On the men's side, it is becoming less and less frequent. We are a year or two away from simulation fines and post match yellow cards after video review of games.

    You're trying to hammer a point across that doesn't fit. We will just see it differently.
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:13 pm
  • I'm not much into soccer outside of world championship level, but they were a lot of fun to watch. Defensive dominance with some play makers on the other end is always good sports entertainment. Very proud having them represent and brought home the cup!
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8974
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:14 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Brazil is really bad about it, especially Marta and Erika.




    This isn't a dive.

    She faked an injury to waste time.

    It's a shit thing to do.. but let's make sure we are talking about the same thing here.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:15 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:I'm not much into soccer outside of world championship level, but they were a lot of fun to watch. Defensive dominance with some play makers on the other end is always good sports entertainment. Very proud having them represent and brought home the cup!



    Whats particularly great about this achievement is the US was not nailed on as the best team coming in, as they have been in years past.

    This was a very competitive tournament, with some major upsets and lots of drama. The US had to make some major adjustments to their system mid way through and rode it to a trophy.

    Great month of the sport.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    never seen one person "practice" diving. Gamesmanship (shirt tug, stamp, etc..), sure. But not diving. .


    I don't mean practice like coaches are running drills in practice teaching kids how to dive, I mean on the pitch over long periods of time.

    It's OK Si if you disagree with me, but I refuse to believe women don't dive because it's just not part of their game. They're playing the same game as men, and want to win just as badly. So there are other factors involved than "they're just not into diving as part of the style they play."

    Believe me, as young women get better at it, you will see more diving.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:45 pm
  • Pretty sad to see the difference in compensation for the team (Men vs. Women). Thinking about the marketing of sports, it's amazing what a gross imbalance still exists. Lots of opportunities for women to wear NFL jerseys of male "heroes" but not vice versa...just interesting.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 493
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:57 pm
  • Kennedyin92 wrote:Pretty sad to see the difference in compensation for the team (Men vs. Women). Thinking about the marketing of sports, it's amazing what a gross imbalance still exists. Lots of opportunities for women to wear NFL jerseys of male "heroes" but not vice versa...just interesting.


    Sepp Blatter not even knowing the names of women players tells you everything you need to know about FIFA's antiquated view of women's soccer as a whole. Having said this compensation in the World Cup is based on many factors, so even though the TV ratings were high (in the US, not sure bout other countries), other factors like gate receipts, merchandise, etc were average to low overall for this WC.

    But the positive is women's soccer is growing, as other countries start to grow their programs to catch up to countries like Japan, US, etc then it should help in all the factors I mentioned about...........which SHOULD lead to better compensation. Not sure bout that though until FIFA actually cleans up their act.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:41 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:It's a shit thing to do.. but let's make sure we are talking about the same thing here.


    Didn't say it was a dive, but shit sportsmanship knows no bounds and it was just an example. As the Patriots have shown, if you're willing to cheat at all, the sky's the limit.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3102
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:37 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:I am watching and have been surprised by the board's non-interest. Fun game, and they were sooooo close to setting the shut out record (tied it, at least).


    Sorry for my lack of posting. I was there in section 405 Row A seat 6.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 438
    Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 pm
  • Flopping, faking injury is just something inferior teams do to try to gain an advantage, look at the NBA, flopping was never really part of the game until you seen Divac start doing it consistently to try to get others into foul trouble, then everyone started to do it. I think that's what the true Power forward isn't as much a part of the game as they used to be either.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23934
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:09 am
  • I think the quality of the play is still awful in general. In a majority of the games a majority of the time, it is slow paced, technically bad, and most goals happen from absurd mistakes and/or goalkeepers not making average saves. In Sweden it's kind of awkward since everyone who watched notice that the quality of play is severely lacking, but the media is trying so hard to make it seem like it is really good.

    But to me, the interessting thing here is not womens soccer vs mens soccer, but rather why womens soccer is so much worse than most other women sports? There is no angry mobs rushing to attack womens tennis, skiing, running, high jumping etc etc, but as soon as womens soccer is brought up everyone just sighs and rolls their eyes. (In Sweden that is).

    The thing is though that women high jumpers jump WAAAAAY higher than any normal person can, women olympic sprinters are REALLY fast etc etc. It is just obvious when watching them that they are elite athletes way better than the people sitting in the couch. With soccer though, the womens national team is consistently beaten badly by random teams of 15 year old boys. When Umeå IK was one of the best womens clubs in the world and had Marta (best player at the time) they lost 5-1 to one of the citys 15yr boys teams. You combine knowing this fact with seeing how boring it can be to watch such low quality of play compared to what is usually shown on tv (going from CL, PL, world cup games to watch this tournament almost feels like another sport) and with the announcers always overly positive (if a keeper in the mens game just barely cant reach a pretty good shot, the announcers are kinda picking on him, but when the womens keeper makes a baffling mistake the just go "oh unlucky...great shot.."

    So to summarize: Almost noboby is complaining on other womens sports because the people watching know they can't do better themselves. With soccer however, the vast majority of 20 something men know that they most likely could assemble a team of their friends and friends of friends that would beat the womens national team.

    Many of you probably think the US team would beat a bad english division 2 team, but the truth is that they would lose badly to EVERY mens team that is in any kind of competitive division, and to most organized junior teams above age 15 as well. The difference is HUGE.
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1387
    Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    never seen one person "practice" diving. Gamesmanship (shirt tug, stamp, etc..), sure. But not diving. .


    I don't mean practice like coaches are running drills in practice teaching kids how to dive, I mean on the pitch over long periods of time.

    It's OK Si if you disagree with me, but I refuse to believe women don't dive because it's just not part of their game. They're playing the same game as men, and want to win just as badly. So there are other factors involved than "they're just not into diving as part of the style they play."

    Believe me, as young women get better at it, you will see more diving.


    They aren't playing the same game. Just like mens and womens basketball is different on many levels, so is soccer. Its coached differently, trained differently and in effect implemented and played differently.

    This has nothing to do with competitiveness, nor athletic ability. Some players dive. Most (like a very large majority) do not. The women's game is not played as fast, nor does it focus on individual ability and 1v1 play as much as the men's game. Thus, diving isn't even in play as much due to the lack of opportunity.

    I digress, as it's a futile argument. Going on believing that girls will eventually adopt it as practice I think is far too simplistic a generalization.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:38 am
  • Swedishhawkfan wrote:I think the quality of the play is still awful in general. In a majority of the games a majority of the time, it is slow paced, technically bad, and most goals happen from absurd mistakes and/or goalkeepers not making average saves. In Sweden it's kind of awkward since everyone who watched notice that the quality of play is severely lacking, but the media is trying so hard to make it seem like it is really good.

    But to me, the interessting thing here is not womens soccer vs mens soccer, but rather why womens soccer is so much worse than most other women sports? There is no angry mobs rushing to attack womens tennis, skiing, running, high jumping etc etc, but as soon as womens soccer is brought up everyone just sighs and rolls their eyes. (In Sweden that is).

    The thing is though that women high jumpers jump WAAAAAY higher than any normal person can, women olympic sprinters are REALLY fast etc etc. It is just obvious when watching them that they are elite athletes way better than the people sitting in the couch. With soccer though, the womens national team is consistently beaten badly by random teams of 15 year old boys. When Umeå IK was one of the best womens clubs in the world and had Marta (best player at the time) they lost 5-1 to one of the citys 15yr boys teams. You combine knowing this fact with seeing how boring it can be to watch such low quality of play compared to what is usually shown on tv (going from CL, PL, world cup games to watch this tournament almost feels like another sport) and with the announcers always overly positive (if a keeper in the mens game just barely cant reach a pretty good shot, the announcers are kinda picking on him, but when the womens keeper makes a baffling mistake the just go "oh unlucky...great shot.."

    So to summarize: Almost noboby is complaining on other womens sports because the people watching know they can't do better themselves. With soccer however, the vast majority of 20 something men know that they most likely could assemble a team of their friends and friends of friends that would beat the womens national team.

    Many of you probably think the US team would beat a bad english division 2 team, but the truth is that they would lose badly to EVERY mens team that is in any kind of competitive division, and to most organized junior teams above age 15 as well. The difference is HUGE.



    Pretty harsh, some (dripping in) hyperbole, but the premise is true.

    I played high school soccer just outside of Oregon. We combined with the girls side alot. One of the girls was Tiffany Milbrett, future starting CM and eventual Captain of the Woman's world cup team. In comparative play, she'd have been in the top 8 of those combined sides. Maybe 3 of us eventually played D1.

    My 15 academy boys routinely beat the 19 girls academy team in scrimmages, and those girls are almost all D1.

    However, the women's game has developed immensely in the last decade. And while it has not caught up to the men's game in pace of play nor technical ability, the building blocks are in place.

    What the girls game needs more than anything is the same devoted coaching that the boys/mens side is seeing in this country. More emphasis on technical development and game intelligence. There is nothing that can be done about the physical differences. Pointing them out is simply finding the least common denominator.

    While it's a hyperbolic (borderline sexist and asinine to be honest) to assume a group of 20 something former soccer players could put together a team that can beat a National team, any well coached Men's D1 side probably could. But it would not be due to tactics. The women's game is excelling in that aspect of the game. Physically they would be overmatched, obviously. There is not much that can happen there. But the technical details need improvement on the women's side.

    That's where I was a bit frustrated watching the games this month. While it was played "slower" that relative speed of play was less due to physical ability and more to do with technical ability.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:46 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Flopping, faking injury is just something inferior teams do to try to gain an advantage, look at the NBA, flopping was never really part of the game until you seen Divac start doing it consistently to try to get others into foul trouble, then everyone started to do it. I think that's what the true Power forward isn't as much a part of the game as they used to be either.


    Divac played for the Lakers, and was an all star. He was far from an inferior player, and was on many winning teams.

    Dozens of top soccer stars dive, including Ronaldo, arguably the best soccer player on the planet.

    So diving and flopping has nothing to do with inferior players or teams. It has to do with gaining an advantage over your opponent resulting in free throws, free kicks, fouls or goals.

    No one thinks it's a good part of any sport, but since sports were invented there were players trying to figure out a way to gain advantages over their opponents without getting caught. Some players deflate footballs, some players put stickum on their gloves, some players scuff the baseball.............and some players dive.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:31 am
  • Swedishhawkfan wrote:I think the quality of the play is still awful in general. In a majority of the games a majority of the time, it is slow paced, technically bad, and most goals happen from absurd mistakes and/or goalkeepers not making average saves. In Sweden it's kind of awkward since everyone who watched notice that the quality of play is severely lacking, but the media is trying so hard to make it seem like it is really good.

    But to me, the interessting thing here is not womens soccer vs mens soccer, but rather why womens soccer is so much worse than most other women sports? There is no angry mobs rushing to attack womens tennis, skiing, running, high jumping etc etc, but as soon as womens soccer is brought up everyone just sighs and rolls their eyes. (In Sweden that is).

    The thing is though that women high jumpers jump WAAAAAY higher than any normal person can, women olympic sprinters are REALLY fast etc etc. It is just obvious when watching them that they are elite athletes way better than the people sitting in the couch. With soccer though, the womens national team is consistently beaten badly by random teams of 15 year old boys. When Umeå IK was one of the best womens clubs in the world and had Marta (best player at the time) they lost 5-1 to one of the citys 15yr boys teams. You combine knowing this fact with seeing how boring it can be to watch such low quality of play compared to what is usually shown on tv (going from CL, PL, world cup games to watch this tournament almost feels like another sport) and with the announcers always overly positive (if a keeper in the mens game just barely cant reach a pretty good shot, the announcers are kinda picking on him, but when the womens keeper makes a baffling mistake the just go "oh unlucky...great shot.."

    So to summarize: Almost noboby is complaining on other womens sports because the people watching know they can't do better themselves. With soccer however, the vast majority of 20 something men know that they most likely could assemble a team of their friends and friends of friends that would beat the womens national team.

    Many of you probably think the US team would beat a bad english division 2 team, but the truth is that they would lose badly to EVERY mens team that is in any kind of competitive division, and to most organized junior teams above age 15 as well. The difference is HUGE.


    Nice to see that misogyny is still alive and well. With all the excitement about a women's sport, I was getting worried. :sarcasm_on:
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 493
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:43 am
  • Kennedyin92 wrote:
    Nice to see that misogyny is still alive and well. With all the excitement about a women's sport, I was getting worried. :sarcasm_on:


    Don't confuse excitement over USA! USA! USA! and correlate it to women's sports in general. Same goes for the men btw, MLS attendance is decent, but not huge overall.........yet the USMNT matches in the World Cup get great ratings.

    The WNBA attendance average is about 8-9k a game, and the NWSL about 3-4k a match.

    Doesn't mean the women winning the WC isn't an awesome thing, or a great indicator that the United States is a fantastic progressive country that does more than most countries in making sure women's sports is well funded and represented on a national level. But to correlate what the women's national team just did with a huge spike in love for women's sports in general? I can't go that far.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:45 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Kennedyin92 wrote:
    Nice to see that misogyny is still alive and well. With all the excitement about a women's sport, I was getting worried. :sarcasm_on:


    Don't confuse excitement over USA! USA! USA! and correlate it to women's sports in general. Same goes for the men btw, MLS attendance is decent, but not huge overall.........yet the USMNT matches in the World Cup get great ratings.

    The WNBA attendance average is about 8-9k a game, and the NWSL about 3-4k a match.

    Doesn't mean the women winning the WC isn't an awesome thing, or a great indicator that the United States is a fantastic progressive country that does more than most countries in making sure women's sports is well funded and represented on a national level. But to correlate what the women's national team just did with a huge spike in love for women's sports in general? I can't go that far.



    you may want to read the post Kennedyin92 was quoting...
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Kennedyin92 wrote:
    Nice to see that misogyny is still alive and well. With all the excitement about a women's sport, I was getting worried. :sarcasm_on:


    Don't confuse excitement over USA! USA! USA! and correlate it to women's sports in general. Same goes for the men btw, MLS attendance is decent, but not huge overall.........yet the USMNT matches in the World Cup get great ratings.

    The WNBA attendance average is about 8-9k a game, and the NWSL about 3-4k a match.

    Doesn't mean the women winning the WC isn't an awesome thing, or a great indicator that the United States is a fantastic progressive country that does more than most countries in making sure women's sports is well funded and represented on a national level. But to correlate what the women's national team just did with a huge spike in love for women's sports in general? I can't go that far.



    you may want to read the post Kennedyin92 was quoting...


    I did, Swedish was definitely harsh. I was just trying to convey the same thing, except with a little more tact.

    Just as when the USMNT does well and everyone thinks that soccer in the US is going to explode, it's the same for the women's team. People get confused with national pride vs. overall excitement over the sport, or in this case women's sports.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Kennedyin92 wrote:
    Nice to see that misogyny is still alive and well. With all the excitement about a women's sport, I was getting worried. :sarcasm_on:


    Don't confuse excitement over USA! USA! USA! and correlate it to women's sports in general. Same goes for the men btw, MLS attendance is decent, but not huge overall.........yet the USMNT matches in the World Cup get great ratings.

    The WNBA attendance average is about 8-9k a game, and the NWSL about 3-4k a match.

    Doesn't mean the women winning the WC isn't an awesome thing, or a great indicator that the United States is a fantastic progressive country that does more than most countries in making sure women's sports is well funded and represented on a national level. But to correlate what the women's national team just did with a huge spike in love for women's sports in general? I can't go that far.



    you may want to read the post Kennedyin92 was quoting...


    I did, Swedish was definitely harsh. I was just trying to convey the same thing, except with a little more tact.

    Just as when the USMNT does well and everyone thinks that soccer in the US is going to explode, it's the same for the women's team. People get confused with national pride vs. overall excitement over the sport, or in this case women's sports.



    Thats what you took from Sweden's post?

    OK...

    Soccer is exploding. Has been for roughly 5 years now. This was just more evidence of it.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:16 pm
  • Yeah my post did end up kind of harsh, it was not intended as a "women suck at soccer" post, but more a "why is it that women highjumpers, sprinters etc, were physicality is imo MORE important than in soccer are seemingly equal to the men, but soccer in particular looks so far behind?

    In sweden, womens soccer always becomes a hot potato, since there are always the idiots who do the "girls should not play soccer" angle, and then there are the "womens national team is the best team ever" crowd. The majority though is probably like me, watch a little bit and see clearly that this is not on the level that you are used to see soccer played.

    When women high jump 2m and men jump 2.32, no one cares about that because it looks exactly the same! The product of womens high jump is just as good as the viewing product of men's high jump. But the entertainment product of womens soccer is clearly lacking compared to mens soccer. And this is just kind of a mystery, since just like Uncle si said the difference in physicality should not matter that much, and technical skill appear to be a much bigger problem.

    Uncle si is also right about the strategy part. I stand by the statement that any mens team that plays in the league system in a major european country (and don't have massive injury problems etc) would beat the US womens national team. A bunch of former players scrapping together a team (aka the couch players) would need coaching and practice on how to play as a team, and would probably lose (?) if just pulled from the street.

    But comparing it to mens soccer is not really the point or intressting, what is intressting to me is why has so many other sports been able to put a similar product on the field when men and women play, but not soccer?
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1387
    Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:28 pm
  • Swedishhawkfan wrote:
    But comparing it to mens soccer is not really the point or intressting, what is intressting to me is why has so many other sports been able to put a similar product on the field when men and women play, but not soccer?


    Like what? Other than basketball, I can't think of a more successful sport than women also play than soccer.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12726
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:52 pm
  • Swedishhawkfan wrote:
    But comparing it to mens soccer is not really the point or intressting, what is intressting to me is why has so many other sports been able to put a similar product on the field when men and women play, but not soccer?



    But again, that's not accurate. Mens and womens sports are far different, when compared to each other. Alot of the sports you mention are individual. If we put women's and men's track and field together, what would we see? Basketball, hockey, etc. all fall to the same, fundamental differences upon comparison: athleticism. You're only valued comparison was high jump? And even then, you are far off:

    Men's world record: 2.45 m (8 ft. 3/4 in)
    Womens: 2.09 M (6ft. 10 1/4in)

    That's over a full foot. That's alot....

    But when you strip that away, you find a different model. Where the bigger difference is in terms of soccer is the technical ability. The women haven't really grasped onto the elite technical skills that you see in the men's games (much like in basketball).
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13136
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: 4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:46 pm
  • My point with the high jump was the entertainment part in that the technique etc looks just as good, they just don't jump as high. So for the viewer on tv, everything appears perfectly fine. When the swedish goalkeeper somehow concedes a really weak shot on germanys first goal in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piu9JTTHKcU , due to standing waaay to close to the near post and not adjusting laterally as the german was moving in, the Swedish announcers were just saying "Oh that is just unfortunate!" and germanys goal at 1:40 only happens due to the same kind of massive keeper error as the first goal, but the announcers just said "wow spectacular goal". It's like the announcers have decided that everything is amazing regardless of what is actually happening on the field. When i watch soccer i prefer as many "holy shit that was sick" moments, and as few "uuuuugh wtf was that?" moments as possible.

    I havent watched any significant amount of womens basketball, but it is true that all the sports I can think of were the difference is not that noticeable are individual sports. Perhaps teamsports are just more complex in general, making difference in skill level between teams more visually obvious? I mean I would probably get bored to death trying to watch a swedish division 4 mens game to since I mainly watch soccer for CL, world cup, big PL matches etc etc
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1387
    Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am




It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online