4-0 16 minutes in...women's soccer

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I am watching and have been surprised by the board's non-interest. Fun game, and they were sooooo close to setting the shut out record (tied it, at least).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Yup, the girls did pretty dang well. Showed their strengths in this game. Well done Ladies.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
GJ they found offense at the end.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'll add a bit more tomorrow but I watched a god portion of the tournament. It was very entertaining. Women's side of the game is developing quickly and it showed in a very competitive tournament.

Lots of tactical acumen, some stupendous technical ability and a bit of flair... Without some of the nonsense you see in the men's game.

Well done by the US as well. They came into the tournament as part of a top group of 4 teams and held their nerve throughout. It was no given they would win the tournament when it started and tonight might have ben their most heavily favored game.

Anyways... Good for the game. Women's side here in the US is very productive in terms of D1 schools and scholarships. It's great to see the game celebrated.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":3614zxgr said:
Anybody watching the girls???

Holy cow.
I did and that was with our new generation girls. With LaRue on the bench with Abby!

Number three my ass. :thfight7:

Rapinoe may just be the best woman midfielder in the world from a technical aspect. It's like watching a man out there with how she takes care of the ball while playing at a speed few can even try. And she's a little pixie. :th2thumbs:

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.

Smurf

Reaction score
Carli Lloyd is the most frustrating player to watch I've ever seen.

She can very easily be the best woman in the world, but at the same time she has this "I Have to do it alone" mentality....

Jill Ellis did a great job balancing her squad defensively, and with the personalities in it. Lloyd as a free roaming #10 with lax defensive responsibilities is one of the reasons we won the tournament. That's where she is best. Let her do her thing, and once she gets hot, the goals won't stop coming. 4th strait game with a goal I think? Solid management.

Rapinoe (Seattle Reign player, btw, you can go see her play locally) was phenomenal all tournament, and was arguably our most important player in the group stage. Carried the team through the tough bits.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":tyohevdw said:
You know what I didn't see in the women's game that I constantly see ion the mens game and it makes me sick?? Flopping. Seriously.
That will come when the money gets bigger. I'm just enjoying the fact that the game is growing and that there are more and more top tier teams.

There were 24 teams and at least 20 of them played the game a top tier level. That's exciting to me.

253hawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":38yz68q1 said:

There was plenty of it in the tournament from the diva countries (the ones with talent before the insane parity drop-off) but good on Japan for not falling into the habit.

Anyone else find it ironic that Hope Solo got the gold gloves award? :box:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2b22awd8 said:
Jill Ellis did a great job balancing her squad defensively, and with the personalities in it. Lloyd as a free roaming #10 with lax defensive responsibilities is one of the reasons we won the tournament. That's where she is best. Let her do her thing, and once she gets hot, the goals won't stop coming. 4th strait game with a goal I think? Solid management.

Ellis finally got it right in the end.

But let's not mask the inefficiencies this team showed in the group stages, especially going forward. They didn't look capable of standing up to a France or Germany early on. Ellis switched formations, moving to a 4-4-1-1 after struggling in a straight 4-4-2 through the group stages.

The "defensiveness" of the group through most of the tournament can be more attributed to a lack of end product by its opponents. Without Solo I'm not sure the US beat Australia, for example. The sinking of the wingers to midfielders and allowing them to press forward through the middle instead of tracking back helped close out play through what was a very open US middle. It also gave the US a chance to counter with their speed and technical ability, something they struggled to do early on. Their goals against China and Germany, for example, were against the run of play. They were able to win possession higher up the field (their possession from the back was poor) and move through the center of the field and not just rely on going wide, then crossing.

Lloyd's "revival" if you will came with this transition. She was no longer left on her own up top with half a field, but moving forward through the middle as part of a quick counter. Her something like 7 goals over the last 4 games shows that.

Again, they got it right against Germany, moving to a high press D that forced teams to play over them. But that was not the case until the middle part of China.

The women's game has gotten infinitely more competitive across the world. This was a fine showing by the US to win it. It's no longer easy to assume the US "should" win. Only "could."

Also, what does money have to do with "flopping?"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":10yih79v said:

I coach U16 girls, and some of the do try to dive, but very few of them can pull it off and sell it.

People think diving is easy, but it's not. It takes quite a bit of practice and athletic skill to sell a dive.

Not saying the women aren't as athletic as the men in soccer, but the men have been practicing the speed, pace and athletic skill of diving for literally decades longer than the women.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yo0qnyj said:
Jazzhawk":1yo0qnyj said:

I coach U16 girls, and some of the do try to dive, but very few of them can pull it off and sell it.

People think diving is easy, but it's not. It takes quite a bit of practice and athletic skill to sell a dive.

Not saying the women aren't as athletic as the men in soccer, but the men have been practicing the speed, pace and athletic skill of diving for literally decades longer than the women.

Ridiculous...

Latest posts