Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EPL 2015-16 Season

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
EPL 2015-16 Season
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 am
  • With Pre-Season in full Swing its time to kick this thread off -

Lets start with this Brilliant Thierry Henry ad from Sky Sports
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Re: EPL 2015-16 Season
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:57 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Not happy about Liverpool paying 32.5 mil for Benteke. Not close to being worth it. I don't think he fits our system at all and would have loved to see us go all in for Lacazette, with Aubemayang a nice consolation prize.

Liverpool and united have both had decent windows so far, City paid way over the odds for Sterling, in my opinion, but there it is. Chelsea have ben conspicuously quiet, as have Arsenal and Spurs. We'll see what happens. If Liverpool can sort out a defensive mid and maybe another out-and-out winger (Loan move for Turan has been mooted), then we'll be in contention.

Wee Stoke have had a pretty good window so far, too. Newcastle look set to land Charlie Austin, nice move for them.

I must admit I was a bit worried when Benteke sent out that cryptic tweet yesterday about joining United. Glad he went to Liverpool. Amazed one of the bigger teams didn't try to snag Charlie Austin.
    Last edited by Seabhac on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 pm
  • Was down aroun VMAC this morning and there were quite a few United supporters milling about in front looking for autographs. It's failry cool seeing United train at the Seahawks facility and saying that it is "amazing".

The United players met with Sounders players too.

I broke down and bought some tickets for the game Friday night. Despite the cost I can't have them so close and not go see!!
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Not happy about Liverpool paying 32.5 mil for Benteke. Not close to being worth it. I don't think he fits our system at all and would have loved to see us go all in for Lacazette, with Aubemayang a nice consolation prize.

Liverpool and united have both had decent windows so far, City paid way over the odds for Sterling, in my opinion, but there it is. Chelsea have ben conspicuously quiet, as have Arsenal and Spurs. We'll see what happens. If Liverpool can sort out a defensive mid and maybe another out-and-out winger (Loan move for Turan has been mooted), then we'll be in contention.

Wee Stoke have had a pretty good window so far, too. Newcastle look set to land Charlie Austin, nice move for them.

He's no Andy Carrol, and in all honesty I think he's getting a bad rap from liverpool fans who assume he's some statue in the middle of the park who we lob crosses to. He can press, he can attack players with the dribble and is strong on the counter.

This group "managed" 6th with nothing in the goal department and no true striker options. Now we have Benteke and Origi, who can play off each other, with Firmino and Milner. Clyne coming up the one side will help immensely as well.

I still see more in this window (a winger or mid target, or both) but I'm happy with Benteke.. or atleast happy its over and we can move on.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:30 pm
  • I heard on a podcast the other day that United has spent more on transfers since van Gaal arrived than Ajax have spent in their history. Which I guess is what you need to do if you want to compete with City, Chelsea and the 2 Spanish teams. They're going to have a good team this season.

Milner and Benteke have been fairly expensive acquisitions (either in terms of fees or wages) but are both players I would have liked at Spurs and should be good additions.

Spurs have had a good start to the offseason, I reckon. 3 defenders in to hopefully bolster our dreadful backline, and selling some of Baldini's gems for better than expected sums. Pretty much breaking even on Paulinho is nothing short of miraculous. Soldado is rumoured to bring back around £15m, which will be a loss, but not bad business given the situation. Others that Pochettino inherited and clearly doesn't rate (Stambouli, Capoue, Kaboul etc) have either been sold or seem to be attracting interest. I'd expect a few more players in once a few have been sold.

We desperately need a CM who is better than Ryan Mason. A striker would be nice too. Hopefully we won't need a new goalkeeper.

I fear that we will end up with half of the American team, as Levy clearly has his eyes on the American market and getting a billion or so from someone like Zuckerberg, Paul Allen, Jay-Z, or much more likely, and worryingly, Shad Khan, for the privilege of owning the club.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:06 pm
  • Uhhhh...... Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:55 pm
  • The thing about Arsenal is they always try and walk it in.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:45 am
  • I'm interested to get our Euro fans' take on this article's assumption on the EUFA Champions League's homegrown requirement's effect on the rising cost of English players.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... in-parity/
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:I'm interested to get our Euro fans' take on this article's assumption on the EUFA Champions League's homegrown requirement's effect on the rising cost of English players.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... in-parity/

FIFA is searching for ideas to cap spending per team in a way that's applied across the leagues to allow for a more competitive balance.

I'm all for it, really. If domestic player rules are the simplest mandate to start the process then by all means.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:05 pm
  • T2 beat Newcastle 4-3
    USL team beats Premiership side. Remarkable and noteworthy.....
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:21 am
  • Seabhac wrote:T2 beat Newcastle 4-3

MN United beat Swansea 2-0 last summer

Really doesn't mean anything.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:28 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Seabhac wrote:T2 beat Newcastle 4-3

Come on, you know better than this. About 6 years or so ago, the Buffalo Bills won all of their preseason games against playoff teams. Didn't mean $h!t. this is the same thing. Meaningless.

Didn't Chelsea lose to Bradford last season... in an actual real match?

Barca only beat Galaxy 2-1 last night... Galaxy better than Juve, Bayern and Real Madrid!
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:17 am

Come on, you know better than this. About 6 years or so ago, the Buffalo Bills won all of their preseason games against playoff teams. Didn't mean $h!t. this is the same thing. Meaningless.

OK so the team that's 8th in the USL should be able to beat a Prem side?
    In my head (which is admittedly old fashioned when it comes to football) - Newcastle should thump a USL team regardless of the circumstances anwhere, anytime , day or night.

I know it's a friendly etc...but I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that the Toon players have some pride!!
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:18 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:That's the Stevie G effect, Simon :)

Can't wait till Stevie Me comes to Century Link....
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:40 am
  • Seabhac wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:That's the Stevie G effect, Simon :)

Can't wait till Stevie Me comes to Century Link....

Fan boy....
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:42 am
  • Seabhac wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

In my head (which is admittedly old fashioned when it comes to football) - Newcastle should thump a USL team regardless of the circumstances anwhere, anytime , day or night.

I know it's a friendly etc...but I am assuming, maybe wrongly, that the Toon players have some pride!!

It's not that it shouldn't happen...its that it happens alot. It's not "remarkable" is the point.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:57 pm
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Seabhac wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Come on, you know better than this. About 6 years or so ago, the Buffalo Bills won all of their preseason games against playoff teams. Didn't mean $h!t. this is the same thing. Meaningless.

It's not that it shouldn't happen...its that it happens alot. It's not "remarkable" is the point.

Or noteworthy, even....

The Brothers Grimm have spoken.....
    Seabhac
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am
  • NY Red Bulls reserves and youth players beat Chelsea 4-2
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:NY Red Bulls reserves and youth players beat Chelsea 4-2

NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:01 pm
  • Seabhac wrote:With Pre-Season in full Swing its time to kick this thread off -

Lets start with this Brilliant Thierry Henry ad from Sky Sports

I loved how it ended. The best way, there was no other way, the only way, it could end.
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:33 pm

• I guess the Red Bulls game was a trap game?
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:51 pm
  • Great game...Chelsea shut down Neymar and Messi like they weren't even there...
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Great game...Chelsea shut down Neymar and Messi lime they weren't even there...

lmao! Who took the jam out of your doughnut?

Lol, Si, after that NY Red Bull cockup, I will take every win I can get. Plus I just hate Barcelone.HATEEEEEEEEEE them.
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 am
  • NJSeaHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Great game...Chelsea shut down Neymar and Messi lime they weren't even there...

Lol, Si, after that NY Red Bull cockup, I will take every win I can get. Plus I just hate Barcelone.HATEEEEEEEEEE them.

You have every reason to celebrate then.. go on.

I see Jose is back with the verbals... must be getting closer to kicking this thing off, finally.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:20 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    NJSeaHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Great game...Chelsea shut down Neymar and Messi lime they weren't even there...

I see Jose is back with the verbals... must be getting closer to kicking this thing off, finally.

It would have been sweeter with a full lineup, but Im not sure we win if Messi and Neymar both play. Those Barca kits are ugly, as well. Jose is a douche. Just keep winning. Why does he have to talk so much? We get it dude, you win. Alot.

He can be hilarious, but also a tiring windbag. Like, I get if someone says something to him directly. But, Really? Arsene is spending his way to win the PL? What is Chelsea doing? Paying wages in peanuts? Just shut the front door and wait till the league starts at least. Go get laid, play some tennis, freaking just relax Moo Moo.
    Last edited by NJSeahawk on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:16 am
  • NJSeaHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    NJSeaHawk wrote:

It would have been sweeter with a full lineup, but Im not sure we win if Messi and Neymar both play. Those Barca kits are ugly, as well. Jose is a douche. Just keep winning. Why does he have to talk so much? We get it dude, you win. Alot.

He can be hilarious, but also a tiring windbag. Like, I get if someone says something to him directly. Really? Arsene is spending his way to win the PL? What is Chelsea doing? Paying wages in peanuts? Just shut up and wait till the league starts at least. Go get laid, play some tennis, just relax Moo Moo.

I love Mourinho.

Honestly, the guy just makes it more fun. Plus, he's constantly winding up Wenger and all the whiny Arsenal fans.

(also.. may want to get in there and do some PG-13 style edits)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:00 am
  • [quote="Uncle [/quote]

I love Mourinho.

Honestly, the guy just makes it more fun. Plus, he's constantly winding up Wenger and all the whiny Arsenal fans.

(also.. may want to get in there and do some PG-13 style edits)[/quote]

i was just thinking that..we aren't in the shack.
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:10 am
  • Hot Shot Tottenham! Yids for life son!
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:27 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:LVG has now said that De Gea won't play against Spurs this weekend. Pretty clear he's on the way out. Also rojo and Schweinsteiger both not fit. United still need a prolific striking option, IMO. Rooney's good for maybe 10-15 goals this season, who's going to make up the deficit? Especially when they lost their best player by a mile in De Gea. Interesting season ahead, methinks.

Indeed. Depay still needs to show his quality in the PL, a league notorious for being rough on starlets. Some turn out to be Ronaldo, others (insert list of recent Liverpool transfers here). I'm also understanding that Blind will slide back to CB?

Their season will come down to how they spend the De Gea and Di Maria money. There is lots of quality being attached to their name. If the likes of Pedro and Lacazette come in and they can replace De Gea with an international level keeper, then they will challenge for top 4. If they don't land replacements, they will struggle.

People get caught up in the resurrection of United. However, they finished just 5 points ahead of Moyes season. This was not a fantastic turnaround, merely an opportunistic one.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:41 am
  • Tottenham is rumored to be interested in Charlie Austin. If it happens, it will cement the Spurs as my new rooting interest in the EPL.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:52 am
    Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:LVG has now said that De Gea won't play against Spurs this weekend. Pretty clear he's on the way out. Also rojo and Schweinsteiger both not fit. United still need a prolific striking option, IMO. Rooney's good for maybe 10-15 goals this season, who's going to make up the deficit? Especially when they lost their best player by a mile in De Gea. Interesting season ahead, methinks.

Indeed. Depay still needs to show his quality in the PL, a league notorious for being rough on starlets. Some turn out to be Ronaldo, others (insert list of recent Liverpool transfers here). I'm also understanding that Blind will slide back to CB?

Their season will come down to how they spend the De Gea and Di Maria money. There is lots of quality being attached to their name. If the likes of Pedro and Lacazette come in and they can replace De Gea with an international level keeper, then they will challenge for top 4. If they don't land replacements, they will struggle.

People get caught up in the resurrection of United. However, they finished just 5 points ahead of Moyes season. This was not a fantastic turnaround, merely an opportunistic one.

Exactly, and without De Gea, they were finishing 7th or 8th last season. their outfield players were not CL-calibre. I think Schneiderlin and Depay were both decent signings, but aside from that I'm not overly impressed with their transfer dealings.

Still, we'll see what happens. Liverpool still have a hell of a lot to prove. Gomez to start at LB Sunday, apparently?

Gomez in. Tells me Rodgers has some recognition of the deficiencies the team encountered in that unspeakable performance to end last season. Moreno's not the defender Gomez is. I do worry about his possession passing. he was pretty complacent and a high pressing team will cause him troubles.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:02 pm
  • :thirishdrinkers: It is almost kickoff time!
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:54 am
  • Odd match. Spurs deserved better...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:41 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Odd match. Spurs deserved better...

all those chances at the end...sigh.
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:52 am
  • NJSeaHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Odd match. Spurs deserved better...

all those chances at the end...sigh.

And the early going
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:18 pm
  • Well that was a $h!t show.

Jefferson Montero, that speedy little bastard, continues the Ecuador import show.
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:56 pm
  • Everton did better than I expected, haha. It felt just like last season after the first Watford goal. We sleep walked through the first half but the second half we looked much better I thought. I'm pleased they were able to come back twice even if it was against Watford. And both goals were sweeeeet, especially Barkley's (though he had a shaky match overall).
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:09 pm
  • NJSeaHawk wrote:Well that was a $h!t show.

Jefferson Montero, that speedy little bastard, continues the Ecuador import show.

NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:15 am
  • Even though Spurs lost yesterday, I'm taking solace in the fact that Arsenal are losing to West Ham at home.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:01 am
  • Nice little end to the day...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:45 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Yep, tidy 3 points. Thought the defense looked MUCH better today, really impressed with Gomez and CLyne, even Lovren looked assured back there. Game changed when Can came on. Coutinho had more space to operate out on the left wing. Lallana was poor, dunno what we're gonna do with him. I though Milner and Hendo played fairly well together, and I liked what I saw from Firminho in the little time he got. Ibe was good, and Stoke did well to cut Benteke off from almost everything going on in the game.

Arsenal looked woeful. Where's GatePacker?

Certainly a more defensive mindset going into the game.. which I'm fine with. Would've taken 1 point, ecstatic with all 3. the Liverpool forum is in meltdown. Can't grasp the lack of attack... at Stoke.

I think Lallana gives way to Firmino next time out. I'd also like to see them employ a 4 diamond 2 with Ings/Firminho and Benteke up top, Can, Milner, Henderson and Coutinho (Can at the bottom, Coutinho at the top) in behind.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:56 am
  • Good start for Palace, rode there luck a little and got lucky with the disallowed goal but will happily take the points!

Any chance Arsenal can play that poorly again next Sunday? I doubt it.
    Blueboy
    NET Rookie

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:40 pm
    Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Yep, tidy 3 points. Thought the defense looked MUCH better today, really impressed with Gomez and CLyne, even Lovren looked assured back there. Game changed when Can came on. Coutinho had more space to operate out on the left wing. Lallana was poor, dunno what we're gonna do with him. I though Milner and Hendo played fairly well together, and I liked what I saw from Firminho in the little time he got. Ibe was good, and Stoke did well to cut Benteke off from almost everything going on in the game.

Arsenal looked woeful. Where's GatePacker?

Certainly a more defensive mindset going into the game.. which I'm fine with. Would've taken 1 point, ecstatic with all 3. the Liverpool forum is in meltdown. Can't grasp the lack of attack... at Stoke.

I think Lallana gives way to Firmino next time out. I'd also like to see them employ a 4 diamond 2 with Ings/Firminho and Benteke up top, Can, Milner, Henderson and Coutinho (Can at the bottom, Coutinho at the top) in behind.

Yeah, I'd favor that. Lack of attack nothing, it was Stoke, a tough ground to get a win at, especially for us. We've a glut of talent in the middle of the park with Markovic, Ibe, FirCouts, Milner, Can, Hendo, and if Lalanna can ever figure it out. Looks like Lucas might be on the way out. Allen to come back at some stage, too. Let's not forget that Studge will be back in about 6-8 weeks, as well.

I'm cautiously optimistic, will need to get a few results away to the big boys over the course of the next 10 games or so.

Pretty sure Ferguson set up our away schedule... that said, if Rodgers can figure out how to play on the road (happy to grind out some 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 matches) against the top 5 we could be well set up heading into November.

in order (after a trip to Stoke where they had won just once in 7):

@ Arsenal, @ United, @ Everton, @ Spurs, @ Chelsea, @ City, @ Newcastle

but...

Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:54 pm
  • Thank god

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/nbc-spo ... gue-in-u-s

If the premier league went back to Fox, I don't know what I'd do. I remember calling Comcast like three years ago asking why I couldn't watch the EPL in HD, and they said "sorry, that's a Fox Sports thing, not a Comcast thing."

Fox Sports, last in HD and last in your hearts!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:32 am

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:12 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Nah, this is nothing for Mourinho. He loves to take out his frustrations on everyone else. He'll be fine once they win a few games on the bounce.

But look at that face, peaches. How can you be mad at her?

(He did, in fact, have a pretty good reason to be upset. Training staff should be aware of game situations and management, and defer to the guy in the blazer if unsure. But still, calling out the med staff after throwing a tantrum on the field? then changing her functions with the team? Seems an over reaction)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:10 pm
    Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Nah, this is nothing for Mourinho. He loves to take out his frustrations on everyone else. He'll be fine once they win a few games on the bounce.

But look at that face, peaches. How can you be mad at her?

(He did, in fact, have a pretty good reason to be upset. Training staff should be aware of game situations and management, and defer to the guy in the blazer if unsure. But still, calling out the med staff after throwing a tantrum on the field? then changing her functions with the team? Seems an over reaction)

Of course it's an overreaction, but that's Mourinho. He's built enough equity that he can basically do whatever he wants these days.

Well barring any run ins with Jose in the near future we will have to hold NJSeahawks responsible.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:53 pm
  • Nice to see United's 5th all time leading scorer come up big week 1.

3 points is 3 points.

Nice strike by that Brazilian fellow you have.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Arsenal looked woeful. Where's GatePacker?

Dude, woeful is beyond an understatement.

This is as accurate a picture as there is with my reaction at full time cause I actually threw my phone across the room. I'm not even blaming Cech for either goal, I'm blaming everyone who was in an Arsenal shirt on that field. Go ahead have your laugh, I just don't give a crap, I'm that disappointed and pissed off at that performance on Sunday that I just simply don't care.

PS in before Peach's immature and childish "shut up gatepacker"
    RApollos
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:04 am
  • RApollos wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Arsenal looked woeful. Where's GatePacker?

Dude, woeful is beyond an understatement.

This is as accurate a picture as there is with my reaction at full time cause I actually threw my phone across the room. I'm not even blaming Cech for either goal, I'm blaming everyone who was in an Arsenal shirt on that field. Go ahead have your laugh, I just don't give a crap, I'm that disappointed and pissed off at that performance on Sunday that I just simply don't care.

PS in before Peach's immature and childish "shut up gatepacker"

Bit of an overreaction to the first game of the season?

I think the word might be out on Arsenal this year... teams will sit in compact the midfield, push the ball out wide and win the crosses. If/when they trap Arsenal through the middle they will counter them (see Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal, 2013). Have to give credit to West Ham.

That said... Ozil again looked lost, the back 4 failed to do their job in the most crucial moments. however, no Sanchez until late on and Ox looks like he wants to take the team on his shoulders.

Arsenal will be fine. Maybe not title contenders, but they won't be the team to slip from the top 4 in my opinion.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Next

It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information