Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EPL 2015-16 Season

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: EPL 2015-16 Season
Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:12 am
  • Whatever they rolled out against City on the weekend isn't destroying anything.

Fairly certain my 11 academy team could have held them scoreless.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 02, 2016 3:32 pm
  • It's official, Leicester City are the most improbable Premier League champions in history.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon May 02, 2016 3:48 pm
  • Just so ridiculous. Nothing like it.
    London12
    NET Starter

Mon May 02, 2016 11:07 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    London12 wrote:Just so ridiculous. Nothing like it.

Yep. One of the single greatest achievements in sports. People who didn't grow up in the UK or Europe probably won't get it, but the fact that a team who was in the third tier of English football in 2009 just won the league is simply ridiculous. I remember when Yeovil Town worked their way up from the conference to the Championship in the space of just a few years, and feeling like that was quite an accomplishment, but it doesn't compare to this. Finding it difficult to put into context for our American readers.

I guess it'd be a bit like the Cleveland Browns winning the Super Bowl next season, though I'm not even sure that does the achievement justice.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 03, 2016 5:41 am
  • SomersetHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    London12 wrote:Just so ridiculous. Nothing like it.

Yep. One of the single greatest achievements in sports. People who didn't grow up in the UK or Europe probably won't get it, but the fact that a team who was in the third tier of English football in 2009 just won the league is simply ridiculous. I remember when Yeovil Town worked their way up from the conference to the Championship in the space of just a few years, and feeling like that was quite an accomplishment, but it doesn't compare to this. Finding it difficult to put into context for our American readers.

I guess it'd be a bit like the Cleveland Browns winning the Super Bowl next season, though I'm not even sure that does the achievement justice.

I would liken it to New Mexico winning the FBS National Championship.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 am
  • What a story. What a season.

Peaches explains it well. There is nothing in sports that can compare to its improbability given then disparity in finances, tradition of the league and, above all else really, the length of the season itself.

But this is no fluke. Leicester has been playing this type of soccer since the onset of April last year, and have been a far better, more consistent team than any of the others over 12 months.

Great story... but no "miracle." A perfect blend of intelligence, camaraderie, teamwork, shrewdness, and of course the luck that any champions can get at times.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue May 03, 2016 8:26 am
  • Mike and Mike were talking about this yesterday, said Leicester was a 5,000 to 1 odds to win the EPL before the season started.

That's the equivalent of Cal Poly winning the college football national championship. Not Cal as in Pac 12 Cal, the Cal Poly Mustangs of the Big Sky Conference. Insane.

They're going to make a movie about this, I can guarantee it. It's that big.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 03, 2016 9:08 am
  • Great..Now Chelsea decides to start winning. :34853_doh:

Congrats are in order though..."It was written in the stars"...
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 03, 2016 9:57 am
    Uncle Si wrote:What a story. What a season.

Peaches explains it well. There is nothing in sports that can compare to its improbability given then disparity in finances, tradition of the league and, above all else really, the length of the season itself.

But this is no fluke. Leicester has been playing this type of soccer since the onset of April last year, and have been a far better, more consistent team than any of the others over 12 months.

Great story... but no "miracle." A perfect blend of intelligence, camaraderie, teamwork, shrewdness, and of course the luck that any champions can get at times.

Of course it's not a fluke, but that doesn't stop it from being a miracle. It's completely improbable. Leicester playing well consistently isn't the story here, nor is the inability of the traditional powers to topple them, it's the fact that, over 38 games, a team that seemed destined for relegation continually defied the odds to become champions. This isn't some poxy 64-team knockout tournament where a small team can suddenly get hot and take advantage of some favorable matchups, that's why a 38-game season produces a worthy champion, because you have enough games for regression towards the mean to occur and the best team will invariably rise to the top. Leicester were that team this year.

Probably saying the same thing here...

But we hear "miracle" and we assign it to those one-off magic games like the 1980 Olympics, etc. As we both said, the 38 game season and their ability to not only win the league but remain on top with all the pressures that come with it for so long is simply fascinating.

In no match outside their thrashing at the hands of Arsenal before Christmas did Leicester look anything less than a top 4 team. Their record against the traditional elite was stellar, but they also readily managed the pitfalls of contrasting styles. As things wore on they became the team with the majority of possession, outside their comfort zone, and still managed critical points at moments when other teams were flailing.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri May 06, 2016 7:23 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Here's as good a thread as any, I suppose. Liverpool were absolutely massive tonight. Completely swarmed Villarreal and took control of the game from start to finish. Emre Can makes a world of difference to that team. Same with Lallana and Firmino playing more of a support role. Sturridge was excellent, but it's become pretty clear that he's not what Klopp wants, which is a shame as he's prolific as ever.

Onto the final then. I don't expect Liverpool to give much of a $h!t in these last few league matches, not a lot to play for except pride and momentum, I suppose. On the face of it, Liverpool match up well against Sevilla, and if the Lovren/Kolo partnership can hold up, then we should be able to frustrate them and score. Origi being healthy for that one would be huge. Maybe Ings, too? Anyway, onto Basel. We go again.

Absolutely.

Was very impressed with the energy given by Liverpool last night.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat May 07, 2016 9:33 am
  • Huge win for Sunderland today. A win against Everton on Wednesday and they avoid relegation.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat May 07, 2016 10:45 pm
    SeatownJay wrote:Huge win for Sunderland today. A win against Everton on Wednesday and they avoid relegation.

I hope not. Would like to see Rafa be able to keep Newcastle up.

Id prefer Sunderland, but think Rafa may up at Everton should Neecastle drop
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 09, 2016 12:40 am
  • Yellows! Yellows! Yellows!

Oxford United up to the dizzy heights of League One next season. Great weekend!

Side note: Fantastic Hillsborough doc on BBC last night, don't know if you guys can get BBC iplayer over there, but if so it's more than worth it. Heartbreaking viewing but has to be seen.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 09, 2016 12:24 pm
  • SomersetHawk wrote:Yellows! Yellows! Yellows!

Oxford United up to the dizzy heights of League One next season. Great weekend!

Side note: Fantastic Hillsborough doc on BBC last night, don't know if you guys can get BBC iplayer over there, but if so it's more than worth it. Heartbreaking viewing but has to be seen.

Was a gut wrenching watch for sure.
    Blueboy
    NET Rookie

Mon May 09, 2016 2:10 pm
  • I'm just happy Leeds didn't get relegated to League One this year. Now if we can only get rid of the Mad Italian, then things might be looking up! MOT
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Wed May 11, 2016 1:09 pm
  • Looks like Sunderland are staying up. 3-0 over Everton in the 2nd half.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Looks like Sunderland are staying up. 3-0 over Everton in the 2nd half.

has to be Martinez' last game at Everton... what a free fall for them
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Looks like Sunderland are staying up. 3-0 over Everton in the 2nd half.

has to be Martinez' last game at Everton... what a free fall for them

called it.
    NJSeahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 17, 2016 1:53 pm
  • What happened to Martinez? He used to be pretty decent. Did Everton have much money to spend?

Would he be daft enough to go to the poisoned chalice that is Newcastle?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 18, 2016 6:48 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:What happened to Martinez? He used to be pretty decent. Did Everton have much money to spend?

Would he be daft enough to go to the poisoned chalice that is Newcastle?

Martinez, like Rodgers at Liverpool, saw the game a certain way. That way did not include defending with any stability or consistency. It sure looked pretty when the ball was being swung around and players were running into tight channels after a series of 1 touch passes....

But as Rodgers learned, if you don't have the skilled players to keep possession when gunning forward, you are just leaving yourself exposed.

Martinez at Newcastle would be a good move. They should not have much of an issue coming back up next season.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed May 18, 2016 6:59 am
  • Great...its looking like Rodgers Will take the celtic job. Replacing a manager who couldnt organize a defense.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 18, 2016 7:02 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Great...its looking like Rodgers Will take the celtic job. Replacing a manager who couldnt organize a defense.

I saw that... what a fit that is.

I thought he would hold out for a Prem position, as many typically open up right after the whistle blows. But at Celtic he will always be in the front row, and basically walk into the Champs league. I guess not a bad move.

Rangers all the way back up yet?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed May 18, 2016 8:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Great...its looking like Rodgers Will take the celtic job. Replacing a manager who couldnt organize a defense.

I saw that... what a fit that is.

I thought he would hold out for a Prem position, as many typically open up right after the whistle blows. But at Celtic he will always be in the front row, and basically walk into the Champs league. I guess not a bad move.

Rangers all the way back up yet?

What was Liverpool fans opinions on Rodgers? Was the second place finish all Suarez?

Rodgers signing doesn't thrill me but give me him over Roy Keane every day of the week.

Yeah Rangers will be back. probably will take a season or so for them to compete but it also forces Celtic to stop the complacency and actually invest and find a striker.

Always live in hope that one day the money bubble in Englandbusts and both teams get invited to the English set up, even if they had to start in league 2 or the Portuguese teams join LA Liga as some Iberian league to create the impetus for change. Think both would be giants in the premiership over time if they had the same financial resources and exposure given the fan base sizes.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 18, 2016 9:21 am
  • I'd love to see Celtic and Rangers in England.

Rodgers was a bit too heady. I think the successes were a combination of his attacking set up and the absolutely monster attacking talents he had at his disposal (Gerrard, Sturridge, Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho). But that team shipped something like 50 goals in league. The next year Gerrard is slower, Suarez is gone and Rodgers tactical nuances are exposed.

The issue with him really was not that he wasnt inventive. He surely was. It was that he was negligent of defensive tactics while tinkering far too much with personnel and shape. Players could not get a foot hold on what their roles were. in the 13/14 season that team rarely changed shape as they were constantly flowing forward. Once things got difficult Rodgers started to call out his players for not being flexible enough to adjust. Issue there is that he brought in those players, mostly teenagers or early 20s guys with little PL experience. They soured and he was let go.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu May 19, 2016 10:22 am
  • May be an opening for the Old Firm clubs to come over:

Football League wants new five-league, 100-club system

The Football League wants to create an extra division with 20 teams in each from 2019-20. It would mean England had 100 teams in five divisions, up from 92. Currently, there are 24 teams in the Championship, League One and League Two.

"There are clear benefits for everyone," Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey told BBC Sport. "It is about taking a step back to try to work out what is best for English football. "We hope that the Football League taking this first step is the catalyst for future change."

The Football League believes the move would help:
    To maximise the number of weekend/Bank Holiday league fixtures;
    To remove where practical fixture congestion and scheduling conflicts;
    To protect/improve financial distributions/income generation for Football League clubs;
    To maintain Football League play-off finals as the last event of the domestic season.
    Harvey said the Premier League and the FA have backed the idea in principle because "they can see potential benefits on an international basis".

The decision will have to be confirmed by November 2017.

Relegation from the Football League would be scrapped in the 2018-19 season before the restructure for the following season.

Where would the extra teams come from?

Currently, the bottom two teams in League Two are relegated from the Football League to the National League. They would not go down at the end of the 2018-19 season, said Harvey. Six other clubs - in addition to the two clubs already promoted from the National League - would join the Football League.

"The logical place for the extra clubs to come from would be promoting the next six teams from the National League," said Harvey. "Some of those teams are already professional and the extension to the league may suit them."

Scottish Premiership sides Celtic and Rangers have long been linked with moving into the English pyramid.

In 2009, Premier League clubs voted to reject a proposal to bring the Old Firm rivals into the English top flight. Needing 6 additional clubs may support a move for their addition.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu May 19, 2016 11:24 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:May be an opening for the Old Firm clubs to come over:

Football League wants new five-league, 100-club system

The Football League wants to create an extra division with 20 teams in each from 2019-20. It would mean England had 100 teams in five divisions, up from 92. Currently, there are 24 teams in the Championship, League One and League Two.

"There are clear benefits for everyone," Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey told BBC Sport. "It is about taking a step back to try to work out what is best for English football. "We hope that the Football League taking this first step is the catalyst for future change."

The Football League believes the move would help:
    To maximise the number of weekend/Bank Holiday league fixtures;
    To remove where practical fixture congestion and scheduling conflicts;
    To protect/improve financial distributions/income generation for Football League clubs;
    To maintain Football League play-off finals as the last event of the domestic season.
    Harvey said the Premier League and the FA have backed the idea in principle because "they can see potential benefits on an international basis".

The decision will have to be confirmed by November 2017.

Relegation from the Football League would be scrapped in the 2018-19 season before the restructure for the following season.

Where would the extra teams come from?

Currently, the bottom two teams in League Two are relegated from the Football League to the National League. They would not go down at the end of the 2018-19 season, said Harvey. Six other clubs - in addition to the two clubs already promoted from the National League - would join the Football League.

"The logical place for the extra clubs to come from would be promoting the next six teams from the National League," said Harvey. "Some of those teams are already professional and the extension to the league may suit them."

Scottish Premiership sides Celtic and Rangers have long been linked with moving into the English pyramid.

In 2009, Premier League clubs voted to reject a proposal to bring the Old Firm rivals into the English top flight. Needing 6 additional clubs may support a move for their addition.

I can't see it happening unless the tv deals die or ratings go way down and sky/BT ask for it. No way other English teams are going to vote in to rival teams who could take their piece of the tv money pie.

I think other Scottish clubs would be mixed on it. Teams like Hearts, Aberdeen already get bigger attendances than the likes of Bournemouth and would probably get even more in the Championship, Hibernian and the Dundee teams have that potential as well.

On top of that UEFA would be against it as it creates a precedent for Dutch teams to move to the Bundesliga, Portuguese teams into La Liga, Ukranian teams into Russia etc

However, Celtic have two billionaire owners who are highly influential and would probably spend money in the premiership and their are already 2 Welsh teams in the English set up.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 19, 2016 11:27 am
  • I'd jump at moving to the English division 3 in a heartbeat. It would suck for a few years, especially if we didn't get out of the Championship first time but beneficial long term once we got in the top league where I think we would thrive after a few years.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 19, 2016 12:35 pm
  • It's times like this I wish there was NFL style franchise moves in football/soccer. Buy a crap non entity team like Bolton that no one will really miss and move them north and rebrand them for about $130 million. Throw some money to get them promoted and then the tv money would recoup what you spent. Invest a bit more to stay up and then start competing for Europe.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:53 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:It's times like this I wish there was NFL style franchise moves in football/soccer. Buy a crap non entity team like Bolton that no one will really miss and move them north and rebrand them for about $130 million. Throw some money to get them promoted and then the tv money would recoup what you spent. Invest a bit more to stay up and then start competing for Europe.

Could you please pass along this piece of advice to Massimo Cellino for me? :sarcasm_off:
    Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:07 pm
  • Feels like Leeds get bought by crook after crook. A well supported team that should be in the premiership. Still paying for the David O'Leary days.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:27 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Feels like Leeds get bought by crook after crook. A well supported team that should be in the premiership. Still paying for the David O'Leary days.

I know, and it is shame that such a massive club with great supporters toil year after year hovering around mid table in the Championship.

It was Ridsdale that almost ruined us, and sent us to administration though. But to his credit, Ken Bates kept us afloat. But he is still a Chelsea scum to me haha!
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information