Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

World Cup 2018

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
World Cup 2018
Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:05 pm
  • FIFA held the draws for qualifying for all six associations today so I figure it's as good a time as any to start discussing the next World Cup.

The U.S. starts their qualifiers in November as part of Group C, alongside Trinidad & Tobago and the winners of St. Vincent's v Aruba and Antigua & Barbuda v Guatamala. Group B is probably the toughest group in CONCACAF Round 4 if the favorites in Round 3 win, containing Costa Rica, Panama, Haiti, and Jamaica.

Across the pond in Europe, Group A appears to be the toughest with Netherlands, France, and Sweden all capable of winning. Group D is probably the weakest.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: World Cup 2018
Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:55 pm
  • Group D is pathetic.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:25 pm
  • USMNT needs to play much better than they did during the Gold cup.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:04 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:USMNT needs to play much better than they did during the Gold cup.

The had a couple nice matches in there, but yes overall far too inconsistent, especially on the back line.

I know Jurgen thinks he's some sort of mastermind playing players out of their normal position. But we desperately need pace on the back line, so I'd like to see Yedlin permanently at RB, enough with the midfield experiment.

The only reason some of these less talented countries like Jamaica are jumping up and beating us is because they're filled with youth and pace, and those players are running circles around our old ass midfield and inferior back line. Jurgen needs to shore it up with some pace.

.........and for God's sake, get the hell rid of Beckerman. It's time to put him out to pasture. He destroys our entire shape every match he's in.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:31 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:USMNT needs to play much better than they did during the Gold cup.

The had a couple nice matches in there, but yes overall far too inconsistent, especially on the back line.

I know Jurgen thinks he's some sort of mastermind playing players out of their normal position. But we desperately need pace on the back line, so I'd like to see Yedlin permanently at RB, enough with the midfield experiment.

The only reason some of these less talented countries like Jamaica are jumping up and beating us is because they're filled with youth and pace, and those players are running circles around our old ass midfield and inferior back line. Jurgen needs to shore it up with some pace.

.........and for God's sake, get the hell rid of Beckerman. It's time to put him out to pasture. He destroys our entire shape every match he's in.

The 2 Panama matches and Jamaica match are the ones that stick out for me. Great point about Jamaica. They really did a good job pacing and dictating the match. Then against Panama, I saw the unbalance on shots. I believe Panama had about 3-4 times as many shots on goal than the US.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:55 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:USMNT needs to play much better than they did during the Gold cup.

there were atleast 10 people on the Gold Cup roster who won't sniff the World Cup roster, or even qualifying. The whole purpose was to vet players, not win. Hardly a measuring stick of the "team"... moreso just for some players.

Yedlin is a midfielder. It's not an experiment. (playing RM in a 4-diamond-2 by the way is not much different than RWB in a 4-diamond-2, so not exactly "out of position") Spurs play him there as well. Fabian Johnson has enough pace and is better tactically at RWB. With a stack of young defenders coming through (Eric Miller, Montreal, is one), Yedlin's pace is better suited elsewhere.

The midfield is the biggest issue the USMNT need to address. A lot will depend on who steps up in the next two years and how Klinsmann sets the team up. I think there are goals on the 20s and 23s that will be on the Roster in 2018.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:34 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

there were atleast 10 people on the Gold Cup roster who won't sniff the World Cup roster, or even qualifying. The whole purpose was to vet players, not win. Hardly a measuring stick of the "team"... moreso just for some players.

Yedlin is a midfielder. It's not an experiment. (playing RM in a 4-diamond-2 by the way is not much different than RWB in a 4-diamond-2, so not exactly "out of position") Spurs play him there as well. Fabian Johnson has enough pace and is better tactically at RWB. With a stack of young defenders coming through (Eric Miller, Montreal, is one), Yedlin's pace is better suited elsewhere.

The midfield is the biggest issue the USMNT need to address. A lot will depend on who steps up in the next two years and how Klinsmann sets the team up. I think there are goals on the 20s and 23s that will be on the Roster in 2018.

I'll make you a dude bet Si. I say Yedlin never becomes the mid that Jurgen and Tottenham want him to become.

His inconsistent decision making and lack of technical skill to work give and goes and cross the ball consistently will wear on not only the Spurs front office and managers, but Jurgen as well. Obviously he has the pace and work rate to play in any league in the world, I just don't see his game improving enough to ever be a consistent outside mid, no matter the formation.

Thus eventually he'll go back to RB, either here or overseas.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:42 am
  • Yeah, same as Bale.

Kid is 22. He has all the tools to play out wide. His technical skills and decision making will develop as he gets used to the position (he's been there all of 9 months), and coaches will modify what their expectations are for his role in the squad and system. Even with all his "rawness" if you will, he's still ripping apart the left side of defenses and getting end line whenever he wants. Its not as if his misplaced crosses from RM would be more excusable for RWB.

Its funny that people seem to think he's been moved to RM because both Spurs and the USMNT think they "want" him up the field, instead of the possibility they "don't want" him in the back.

He was never that good of a technical or tactical RB. Solid, yes. But I think Sounders fans especially may misconstrue the reasons why two teams have moved him from the back.

So bet away...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    He was never that good of a technical or tactical RB. Solid, yes. But I think Sounders fans especially may misconstrue the reasons why two teams have moved him from the back. ...

Because he has too much potential to give up on him as anything more than a RB at 22. I get it, I just don't think Yedlin will develop into a quality mid. I love the kid, and he's got the work ethic to make a go of it, I just don't think it'll happen.

I hope I have to eat my words, I'd love for an American kid from the NW to be an EPL fixture for a big club.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    He was never that good of a technical or tactical RB. Solid, yes. But I think Sounders fans especially may misconstrue the reasons why two teams have moved him from the back. ...

Because he has too much potential to give up on him as anything more than a RB at 22. I get it, I just don't think Yedlin will develop into a quality mid. I love the kid, and he's got the work ethic to make a go of it, I just don't think it'll happen.

I hope I have to eat my words, I'd love for an American kid from the NW to be an EPL fixture for a big club.

Your statement doesn't make much sense. If he has potential, then let him play up to it. And since neither the National team nor Spurs are giving up on him, what's the consternation? You seem pretty caught up on the perceived differences of the two positions, when their really are not that many (if the RWB is played correctly). Whatever issues Yedlin has at mid, he as at RWB. More troublesome would be his lack of tactical acumen at the defensive position. When you have two enormous organizations doing the same thing, you have to start questioning the reality of the reasons. If Klinsmann said "yeah, i want speed so i'm taking our fastest guy and moving him up the field" you could play it as a one-off. Add an organization like Spurs doing the same thing, and you have to assume there are some fundamental reasons behind it.

Anyways, I don't really care what position he pans out in, nor do I care if he's a mainstay at Spurs or somewhere else. I just like the kid and think his time at RW has been judged harshly by Sounders fans who maybe assume they know better.

Speed is an asset you can't coach. Nobody will give up on him. But playing RWB on a National team or in the EPL will require much more than just speed. I think that's more the reason he's been moved. Again, you sight decision making as a deficiency. You can get away with the occasional lapse in judgment in midfield/winger... you can't in the back. If he was that good at the defensive end he would be there for club, country... or both without debate. Both organizations are tapping someone else (in Spurs case they went out and bought a starter/reserve wingback, so now Yedlin is even deeper back in that position) for RWB. They must have their reasons.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 am
  • ****Thread Necromancy****

The groups have just been drawn for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia
    B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco
    C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia
    D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria
    E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
    G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama
    H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:24 am
  • Logged back in just for this...

First... these are some dull groups. Hard to even find a "Group of Death".. maybe F?

also.. nice call back to the Yedlin conversation. He's currently a RWB with Newcastle, so right where Sgt. Lgt pegged him. Wide and high was not his calling after all
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm
  • Yeah group F is probably the toughest. D looks relatively solid as well.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 pm
  • The early shocks can put teams in a hole and force them to scramble. France in 2002 never recovered from losing to Senegal.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 am
  • cant believe the us didn't qualify... dohhh
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 am

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:49 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    also.. nice call back to the Yedlin conversation. He's currently a RWB with Newcastle, so right where Sgt. Lgt pegged him. Wide and high was not his calling after all

So our usual dude bet payoff, sexual favors and a box of Funyuns?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 am
  • Fire up ur darkweb streaming machines bitches.........Spain vs Portugal at 10:30.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Where the hell am i going to get a box of Funyons?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Where the hell am i going to get a box of Funyons?

Jimmy sells them behind the Starbuck's dumpster on Aurora every Tuesday night from 9-11PM. You act like you've never bought black market Funyuns before.

In World Cup news, it feels weird not seeing the US in the World Cup. Now I'm going to have to find an underdog country to root for.............Iceland for sure, great story...........and maybe Panama with our boy Roman Torres.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 am
  • I havent been to that dumpster in years. Hope Jimmy is doing well

I have very little interest in it so far, without the US (plus the devastating Champs league final)

There will be some interesting games coming up. I think the final 8 could be a remarkable group of teams.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 am
  • You gotta wonder how much money Putin gave Mohammed bin Salman to have KSA completely roll over for Russia yesterday.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:51 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:You gotta wonder how much money Putin gave Mohammed bin Salman to have KSA completely roll over for Russia yesterday.

He didn't need to give him anything, Saudi Arabia's literally the worst ranked team in the World Cup..........couldn't have hand selected a bigger creampuff matchup for the first home match for Russia.

Now did Putin pay some people off to get into one of the easiest groups to GET the Saudi Arabia matchup for it's first match? I'd buy that conspiracy theory.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm
  • Portgual/Spain match lived up the hype, one of the better matches I've seen in the WC.

That should feel like a win for Portugal. Ronaldo is kinda good at soccer.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:31 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Portgual/Spain match lived up the hype, one of the better matches I've seen in the WC.

I DVRed the match and just finished it. Man that was some entertaining soccer. Funny to think that Iran currently leads group B.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:09 am
  • So far all the games except for the opener have been a draw or decided by one goal. That's led to a lot of exciting late match drama.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Portgual/Spain match lived up the hype, one of the better matches I've seen in the WC.

It was probably the best match I've seen, period.

Very happy England came away with 3 points this evening.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 am

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Refs going to get crucified for allowing Niang to come on

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/1 ... videos-twg

Don't care, I'm rooting for Senegal. They looked very good today.

Man, I love rooting for the African nations. Exciting players, fans and atmospheres to their games. The fans that show up in traditional garb and have chants/songs/prayers going the whole game has always been one of my favorite parts of the World Cup.

I miss rooting for Ivory Coast, Ghana and Cameroon. All of them had players I loved to watch - Eto'o, Drogba, Kolo and Yaya Toure, Salomon Kalou, Michael Essien, the list could go on.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 pm
  • Argentina looked awful today. Their defending and keeper were shaky all game, their midfield virtually MIA and nothing to help Messi up top. Croatia is a pretty solid squad, but I expected Argentina to show a lot more.

It's a shame Messi's international career is just being wasted away. I'm not saying he performs at the same level for Argentina as he does for Barce, not at all. I just can't believe they haven't been able to field a decent defense and find some players who can compliment him.

Does the ego get too big when the players put on the blue & white stripes? They don't play like a squad with any type of chemistry at all.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm
  • Man, Argentina look lost out there today. If Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow they're in danger of not making it out of the group.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:49 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Man, Argentina look lost out there today. If Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow they're in danger of not making it out of the group.

Argentina could still get screwed on goal differential, even if Nigeria and Iceland tie.

It shouldn't be too shocking, Croatia with Modric was just about everyone's sleeper country going in..................and both Spain and Argentina are long in the tooth this World Cup.

I wasn't exactly impressed with Spain's win yesterday, Iran looked dangerous most of the 2nd half once they had to attack.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:18 pm
  • Yeah that third goal not only makes the match look like it was a routing, which it wasn't, but it's going to make it nearly impossible for them to get out of the group if tie-breakers go to goal differential.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Yeah that third goal not only makes the match look like it was a routing, which it wasn't, but it's going to make it nearly impossible for them to get out of the group if tie-breakers go to goal differential.

Croatia dominated that match and the score line, although inflated by late goals, was fair.

Argentina is Messi dribbling and ten guys watching. As much as I enjoy Messi as a player, he is holding this team back with his incessant need to be on the ball for 8-10 touches at a time. Neymar is going the same to Brazil.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:06 am
  • Argentina still has a shot if they put a beatdown on Nigeria...........but I don't see that happening. Nigeria looked great today.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Argentina still has a shot if they put a beatdown on Nigeria...........but I don't see that happening. Nigeria looked great today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Argentina just has to beat Nigeria and hope Iceland doesn't beat Croatia.

Their group currently looks like this:
    Croatia - 6 pts
    Nigeria - 3 pts
    Iceland - 1 pt (-2 goal differential)
    Argentina - 1 pt (-3 goal differential)
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am
  • Correct.

However, I think if Nigeria gets through first 25 minutes without conceding they will go on to win
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:08 pm
  • Shaqiri is a ton of fun to watch. The Swiss got away with that two-manned tackle in the box on the Serbian player, definitely should have been a PK. A center back for Nigeria did the same thing to a Croatian player in their first match which lead to a converted PK by Modric.

I know some of them haven't been called, but VAR and the ref should be calling that, especially when the ball was delivered TO the player that was being tackled. Awful officiating.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:23 pm
  • VAR needs some serious fine tuning. It is so random what is being called and they still miss obvious penalties. I am happy they took away Neymar's penalty today though. But yesterday's game between Denmark - Australia they call it on one Penalty that is questionable at best and the choose not to even look at it in another instance where Australian player drags down Danish player in the box.
    DKHAWK79
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:40 pm
  • VAR is meant to confirm or overrule the referees decision. In many instances it’s going the job. But remember, every non call by a ref is something VAR looks to overturn. As you know with NFL, overturning a call is difficult.

So far it’s been fine. It doesn’t impede open play and it’s been right in overturning calls made (Neymar pen, Iran goal) is far more important to the casual fan.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 pm
  • In a lot of ways this how the Messi era should end. Total disappointment. To this day I have no clue why Messi did not cap for Spain.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:33 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:In a lot of ways this how the Messi era should end. Total disappointment. To this day I have no clue why Messi did not cap for Spain.

Born and raised in Argentina probably has a lot to do with it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 am
  • Germany are losing 1-0 at the half. If they lose this match they're eliminated. Seems to be a trend of WC Champs not making it out of the group stage the following WC.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:24 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Germany are losing 1-0 at the half. If they lose this match they're eliminated. Seems to be a trend of WC Champs not making it out of the group stage the following WC.

3 of last 4 have been eliminated in group stages. One more in quarters
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:56 am
  • What a game. Germany scores on the last couple minutes of extra time down a man.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:06 pm
  • We're through 29 matches of the WC and not a single 0-0 draw, and only 8 of the matches have been determined by more than 1 goal. This has been the most entertaining and competitive WC I've watched.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:10 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:What a game. Germany scores on the last couple minutes of extra time down a man.

What a moment from one of the best in the world.

That’s why this is, for me, the best sport for fans. Just not that kind of drama anywhere else.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:32 pm
  • It was a cracking game and I didn't want to enjoy Germany winning at all, but I did.

England vs Panama today, cannot wait!
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Next

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information