Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

World Cup 2018

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: World Cup 2018
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:20 am
  • original poster wrote:
    England vs Panama today, cannot wait!

Watching Panama play just pisses me off, because that spot should have been us. Panama has no business being in the World Cup, they've been embarrassing for CONCACAF.

I hope everyone involved in the US program is equally pissed off and working their asses off to make sure this never happens again.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 am
  • That Germany v. Sweden game had one hell of a finish. Couldn't believe the dramatics. Deutschland has been my favorite national team (aside from USA) since I got to spend some time there in 2007. I really didn't want to see them bowing out at groups.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:31 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:That Germany v. Sweden game had one hell of a finish. Couldn't believe the dramatics. Deutschland has been my favorite national team (aside from USA) since I got to spend some time there in 2007. I really didn't want to see them bowing out at groups.

This tournament needs Germany to make a deep run, certainly. When they play their younger players they are a lot of fun to watch.

This match required Muller and Gomez as Sweden was camped in and forcing everything wide. Not much room for the likes of Draxler and Werner.

But.. as the tournament progresses and teams try and play them straight up, the more innovative and ambitious German players (Brandt, Draxler, Werner, even Can) will be fun to watch
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:32 am
  • Watching Ronaldo off the ball is as enjoyable as watching Ronaldo on the ball. It's a clinic to show kids on how important off the ball movement and work rate is to being the greatest goal scorer on the planet.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:46 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Watching Ronaldo off the ball is as enjoyable as watching Ronaldo on the ball. It's a clinic to show kids on how important off the ball movement and work rate is to being the greatest goal scorer on the planet.

Not just to being the greatest (well, one of) goal scorers but also how it opens up his team to play quicker. Portugal moves the ball quite well because they are quick and always forging new spaces for each other. Opponents are constantly in transition which keeps things open.

In contrast (why not) Messi's biggest issue with Argentina is that despite all of his work off the ball, he ends up with it in virtually the same channels ands ends up dribbling around while the rest of his team stands and watches.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:13 pm
  • Man, what a game between Spain and Morocco. Nothing to play for but pride and the Moroccans almost pull off the upset.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:14 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Watching Ronaldo off the ball is as enjoyable as watching Ronaldo on the ball. It's a clinic to show kids on how important off the ball movement and work rate is to being the greatest goal scorer on the planet.

Not just to being the greatest (well, one of) goal scorers but also how it opens up his team to play quicker. Portugal moves the ball quite well because they are quick and always forging new spaces for each other. Opponents are constantly in transition which keeps things open.

In contrast (why not) Messi's biggest issue with Argentina is that despite all of his work off the ball, he ends up with it in virtually the same channels ands ends up dribbling around while the rest of his team stands and watches.

Yep, good contrast between the two most heralded modern day goal scorers.

In Messi's defense, Ronaldo's 6'2", 185 lbs and is runs like Carl Lewis in the long jump.............and Messi while a magician on the ball, gets pushed around by defenders making runs and isn't effective out wide. So he's more limited in his effectiveness beyond staying middle dribbling to open up a shot or pass.

That's why I side with Ronaldo when this debate is brought up. IMO he's the more complete player, because he's so versatile with all the ways you've explained.

IN WC news, I feel sorry for Iran, they played three really good matches, and are going home. Feisty side, they should be proud.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Watching Ronaldo off the ball is as enjoyable as watching Ronaldo on the ball. It's a clinic to show kids on how important off the ball movement and work rate is to being the greatest goal scorer on the planet.

Yep, good contrast between the two most heralded modern day goal scorers.

In Messi's defense, Ronaldo's 6'2", 185 lbs and is runs like Carl Lewis in the long jump.............and Messi while a magician on the ball, gets pushed around by defenders making runs and isn't effective out wide. So he's more limited in his effectiveness beyond staying middle dribbling to open up a shot or pass.

That's why I side with Ronaldo when this debate is brought up. IMO he's the more complete player, because he's so versatile with all the ways you've explained.

IN WC news, I feel sorry for Iran, they played three really good matches, and are going home. Feisty side, they should be proud.

Messi causes his own problems by not creating enough for his teammates. He's nearly impossible to push off the ball 1v1, or even 1v2. But unlike this modern iteration of Ronaldo, Messi is constantly bringing 4/5 players around him.

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is not all that tricky anymore, and despite his physical prowess is nowhere near the speed merchant he once was. He has modified his game to be far more effective in spaces than on the ball, as you pointed out.

5 years ago, it was Messi for me. Now, its Ronaldo

(actually, it's Salah, but that's another story)

Iran, Peru, Morocco have represented themselves very well, even in going out.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    (actually, it's Salah, but that's another story).

Liverpool, now we're talking. :229031_cheers:
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Have we not discussed this?

Since 1984. They replaced the Sounders when they folded out of the old NASL

Very ex tied for them this year.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:57 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Have we not discussed this?

Since 1984. They replaced the Sounders when they folded out of the old NASL

Very ex tied for them this year.

Hell yeah.

I've been a Liverpool fan since the Danny Murphy days..............I even named the girl's club I coached for 10 years The Reds.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 am
  • Germany. Are. Out. They actually finish the group in last place. Makes the fourth time in the last five World Cups that the defending champs fail to make it out of the group stage. You have to wonder if this marks the end of Joachim Loew's 12-year run with the German National Team.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:06 am
  • See ya Germany.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:37 am
  • SeatownJay wrote: You have to wonder if this marks the end of Joachim Loew's 12-year run with the German National Team.

How can it not?

I can't think of one soccer powerhouse that hasn't fired it's manager after a monumental bed crapping like this.

I hate Mexico, so I was actually rooting for Germany to score, cause then Mexico would have had one of the greatest collapses in WC history.

Oh well, here's to watching them flame out in the knockout round like they always do.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:07 am
  • Ouch, adios Germany.

This guy will be rooting on Croatia, Mexico and Senegal from here on out.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:07 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Germany. Are. Out. They actually finish the group in last place. Makes the fourth time in the last five World Cups that the defending champs fail to make it out of the group stage. You have to wonder if this marks the end of Joachim Loew's 12-year run with the German National Team.

Hard to say...

What will be more interesting is if Germany (Spain, Argentina, even Brazil and France.. big teams who are struggling in this tournament to dominate even with their roster) change the direction of their national team moving forward.

This German squad (Spain and France are similar) were plodding, predictable and devoid of innovation. This tournament has shown me that the levels between the teams are not as far off as they used to be (global soccer is improving) and teams who are creative and pacey in their attack are being rewarded in their results.

Germany may keep Low (immediate indications are they will, or atleast let him resign) but they need a methodology change more than a new manager.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:48 am
  • Can't wait for Senegal v Colombia this morning, should be a good one.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:08 am
  • Not the first time Germany went to Russia and couldn't get it done.......
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:27 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Not the first time Germany went to Russia and couldn't get it done.......

Someone better check on Poland
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:21 pm
  • Oh look the Russians made it to the round of 8. Putin's world cup is falling into place.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:27 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:Oh look the Russians made it to the round of 8. Putin's world cup is falling into place.

I think Russia got away with that drag down on Sergio Ramos late in the game. The ball came in right where he would have been if the Russian defender hadn't been holding, spinning and dragging him down. Can't believe they didn't call it, though I appreciate when refs don't give PKs late in the game unless it's pretty cut and dry. Kinda torn on that one.

Huge upset, I imagine Russia was partying it UP last night.

That Croatia v. Denmark game was an interesting one. Thought it was pretty clear Mandzukic wasn't the same after taking that knock to his ankle in the first half, not sure why he got subbed out in extra time. Modric had to play back in his own half far too much, which hampered his effect on the attacking game in the second half. I think that's a credit to Denmark's play, though.

I'm very happy Croatia is going on. I'm expecting Belgium to beat Japan today, so Belgium v. Croatia looks like it'll be a good game and one I've been hoping to see since groups were in the books.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 am
  • See ya Mexico.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 am
  • I didn't get to catch the whole game, but it seemed like Mexico was just outclassed today. If Brazil stays disciplined in their back third, they can beat anybody -- which I'm sure surprises no one.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Oh look the Russians made it to the round of 8. Putin's world cup is falling into place.

I think Russia got away with that drag down on Sergio Ramos late in the game. The ball came in right where he would have been if the Russian defender hadn't been holding, spinning and dragging him down. Can't believe they didn't call it, though I appreciate when refs don't give PKs late in the game unless it's pretty cut and dry. Kinda torn on that one.

I dont think it's a penalty.

By the letter, it is. However, they have let the clutching and grabbing go on corner kicks and set pieces for a decade now and have created a situation where the first time they call one it will be devastating.

The leagues need to take control and start enforcing those fouls during those games and let international soccer catch up (as the stakes are higher)

I'd also argue that Ramos fouled the Russian player on what amounted to an own goal.

and also that Ramos is an empty-headed animal food trough wiper who i'm happy to see lose.. always
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:11 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:I didn't get to catch the whole game, but it seemed like Mexico was just outclassed today. If Brazil stays disciplined in their back third, they can beat anybody -- which I'm sure surprises no one.

By round of 8, everyone can beat anybody.

What makes Brazil a little different is they have quality in the attack across three levels. That quality is left wanting when Neymar holds the ball for 15 touches.

Today, he was much better, and maybe let down by Coutinho a bit or the score may have been more.

Credit to mexico, they went after it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Credit to mexico, they went after it.

Meh. Mexico was fraud from the start. They beat one of the worst Germany sides in history, barely got by SK and got embarrassed by Sweden.

Good riddance.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:16 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Oh look the Russians made it to the round of 8. Putin's world cup is falling into place.

I dont think it's a penalty.

By the letter, it is. However, they have let the clutching and grabbing go on corner kicks and set pieces for a decade now and have created a situation where the first time they call one it will be devastating.

The leagues need to take control and start enforcing those fouls during those games and let international soccer catch up (as the stakes are higher)

I'd also argue that Ramos fouled the Russian player on what amounted to an own goal.

and also that Ramos is an empty-headed animal food trough wiper who i'm happy to see lose.. always

Well I know there was one or two penalties given away in the group stages for defenders getting too physical and dragging players down in the box on set pieces. Each ref is going to handle these situations their own way, that's the nature of the sport and reffing, but in this tournament alone it's been wildly inconsistent.

I'm with you, though, I've hated Ramos since his earliest days at Real. Him and Pepe was the grossest defender duo I've ever seen. No respect for the game, constant flopping and dramatics. Screw those guys.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 am
  • I've not seen any penalties given for clutching and grabbing during corner kicks or set pieces. Certainly during the run of play. But I haven't watched every game.

The difference being the mass of bodies in the area. I know UEFA has asked the refs to crack down last year and we certainly saw an impact.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 am
  • Unearthed picture of Neymar after getting a paper cut.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:54 am
  • I am kind of a newcomer to soccer, and I have been watching a bunch of the games and enjoying it alot! However I really do not like the idea of ending games on penalty kicks, I just think that sucks. To my eyes the better teams both lost.

The other thing I noticed is going from a world cup game to the timbers v sounders game afterwards was awful :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:11 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:I am kind of a newcomer to soccer, and I have been watching a bunch of the games and enjoying it alot! However I really do not like the idea of ending games on penalty kicks, I just think that sucks. To my eyes the better teams both lost.

The other thing I noticed is going from a world cup game to the timbers v sounders game afterwards was awful :D

LOL.

Penalty kicks are brutal to end games with. Saw my fair share of PK shootout wins and losses in tourneys and high school playoffs. Losing on them is an awful way to end a tourney or a season.

What a game between Belgium and Japan, holy cow. Watched the whole first half, ran an errand at the break and by the time I was back in my car with the game on the radio Japan had just gone up 1-0. Props to the Belgium coach for bringing in two players who scored and put them through.

Round of 16 hasn't disappointed so far!
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:22 pm
  • Did watch the last 10 minutes or so of that Japan loss, that was pretty fun to watch. That goalie was making some crazy saves. But on that final one, he had zero to little chance to stop that final goal.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:50 pm
  • Still pretty bitter about Denmark getting knocked out. We played toe to toe with one of the best teams of the Group stages.
    Kasper Schmeichel saves 3 penalties and we still could not find a way to win. Might not ever see Denmark with as good a chance to be in a semifinal of the World Cup again. Truly a unique chance missed.
    DKHAWK79
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:36 pm
  • DKHAWK79 wrote:Still pretty bitter about Denmark getting knocked out. We played toe to toe with one of the best teams of the Group stages.
    Kasper Schmeichel saves 3 penalties and we still could not find a way to win. Might not ever see Denmark with as good a chance to be in a semifinal of the World Cup again. Truly a unique chance missed.

Tough loss for you guys, no doubt. I thought Denmark played really well. It seemed like a lot of composure and discipline in that squad.

Schmeichel played out of his mind. I was getting choked up watching his dad celebrate his blocks. Poulsen was also a pleasure to watch, I thought he had a great game. It seemed like he won almost every 50/50 ball that went his way and his first touch was on-point pretty much all game.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:05 pm
  • Apparently “It’s Coming Home”
    reinelt12
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Unearthed picture of Neymar after getting a paper cut.

This baby faker single handedly throws disrepute on the game. What a jerk. Imagine having to work with someone like this? Half the team were diving, clutching at the wrong body part again and again.

They clearly were the better team yesterday but I would have rather seen Mexico advance.

I'm looking forward to another 7-1 beatdown by any team vs Brazil to humiliate these guys again this year.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:49 am
  • On Neymar...

He has been fouled (and I mean legitimately fouled, hard, with no intent to play the ball whatsoever) more than any player in this tournament, by a good shout. He took 11 fouls in a group stage game (most in 20 years) and you know there were a dozen more out there that weren't called. This was the case at PSG this year, where he was legitimately injured, badly, by cheap tactics. Without the protection of Messi and Suarez (and his unwillingness to involve Coutinho more with Brazil), Neymar is a target.

His theatrics are tiresome. but so are the tactics meant to physically abuse the player at every touch of the ball. It's absurd.

That's what's bringing the game into disrepute. It's not Neymar's rolling around on the ground after the 20th stomp or kick or punch or grab. It's teams employing this type of physicality on one player while refs stand idly by.

The Mexican player should've seen red for his stamp. Not even a card. Neymar's reaction was way over the top. but people are concerned with that, and not the deliberate intent to harm a player?

He's no "baby" and certainly not a "faker." He's getting the shit kicked out of him every 5 minutes, with little to no help from the refs. At some point, what is happening to Neymar needs to be the headline, not his reaction (which, by the way, isn't "every time" he gets fouled... which again, is alot)

At some point, 6 metal studs across your knee/shin/calf/foot is going to require action. And since noone seems to want to punish the offender, Neymar's reaction is the focus. And that's a shame as it's missing the point.

Mexico were there typical dirty selves in close contact. Sure, they played some wonderful counter attacking soccer. But they also pinched and clawed and stamped out at a Brazilian every moment they got. They deserved the loss. Their antics were no more reputable, competitive or "fair" than their theatric counterparts.

Refs need to start issuing yellows much early in the process. These fouls are "tactical" in nature, and by the rule book, those are yellow cards. Protect the players, protect the run of play.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:57 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:I am kind of a newcomer to soccer, and I have been watching a bunch of the games and enjoying it alot! However I really do not like the idea of ending games on penalty kicks, I just think that sucks. To my eyes the better teams both lost.

It's the only way to end it at that point.

The game's gone on for 120 minutes. The players are spent. There's not much soccer left to be played.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Mexico were there typical dirty selves in close contact. Sure, they played some wonderful counter attacking soccer. But they also pinched and clawed and stamped out at a Brazilian every moment they got. They deserved the loss. Their antics were no more reputable, competitive or "fair" than their theatric counterparts.

Did you hear the Mexican coaches comments after the game? Saying the refs prolly cost them the game in the second half by not letting them play, too many stoppages of the game, etc. He went on to say that soccer is a "man's sport" and players shouldn't be acting so much and embellishing.

Cheap words coming from a coach whose team started immediately diving/embellishing/time wasting in the groups once they had a lead. I was happy to see Mexico bow out after hearing that. Good lord, show some self-awareness.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:00 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Mexico were there typical dirty selves in close contact. Sure, they played some wonderful counter attacking soccer. But they also pinched and clawed and stamped out at a Brazilian every moment they got. They deserved the loss. Their antics were no more reputable, competitive or "fair" than their theatric counterparts.

Did you hear the Mexican coaches comments after the game? Saying the refs prolly cost them the game in the second half by not letting them play, too many stoppages of the game, etc. He went on to say that soccer is a "man's sport" and players shouldn't be acting so much and embellishing.

Cheap words coming from a coach whose team started immediately diving/embellishing/time wasting in the groups once they had a lead. I was happy to see Mexico bow out after hearing that. Good lord, show some self-awareness.

Its part of the soccer culture, created and left too long by poor officiating coverage. Look at an NFL game, there are something like 11 officials involved. In soccer, its maybe 5.

Knowing that refs cannot possibly see everything (and sometimes anything), players have gone to the "dark arts" tactics of play, including embellishment and diving. Fans tend to focus on that aspect as its deemed "unsportsmanlike" while ignoring the vicious things players will do to each other in close quarters.

i have 13 inch scar across my shin from someone dragging their metal cleat across me in a state tournament match. and that was through a sock. Ive got a hundred other stories (broken bones in the foot from stamping with studs, finger dislocated by someone pulling it) but the worst was getting chopped in the adams apple during a corner in college. I was accused of play acting.. when i couldnt breathe. Its whatever, i gave back.

It's a difficult game to officiate, as things happen fast over a very large expanse with a limited set of eyes. Players over the decades have learned to use that to their advantage. And here we are.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:31 am

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:59 am
  • Brazil vs Belgium today. Let's hope there's less "clowning around"
    "The delay for one player was even four minutes, and that is a lesson for even children who play. This should be a game of men and not so much clowning around."

In total, Neymar has spent 14 minutes rolling on the grass during this World Cup.

"
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 am
  • France is the most impressive young team I've seen, maybe ever. I could seem them winning the next 2-3 World Cups with how young and talented they are. Pace, skill, size............they've got it all.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am
  • Palmegranite wrote:Brazil vs Belgium today. Let's hope there's less "clowning around"
    "The delay for one player was even four minutes, and that is a lesson for even children who play. This should be a game of men and not so much clowning around."

In total, Neymar has spent 14 minutes rolling on the grass during this World Cup.

"

Will depend on if Belgium actually try and play instead of running at the Brazilian players like its Fury Road
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:52 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:France is the most impressive young team I've seen, maybe ever. I could seem them winning the next 2-3 World Cups with how young and talented they are. Pace, skill, size............they've got it all.

They really are loaded...

but so are Germany and England in terms of youth. (as well as the US, as you know).

Lot of these other, perennial challengers are getting old, fast, however. Im very interested to see what Spain's Euro lineup looks like in 2 years for example.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:France is the most impressive young team I've seen, maybe ever. I could seem them winning the next 2-3 World Cups with how young and talented they are. Pace, skill, size............they've got it all.

but so are Germany and England in terms of youth. (as well as the US, as you know).

Lot of these other, perennial challengers are getting old, fast, however. Im very interested to see what Spain's Euro lineup looks like in 2 years for example.

I'm just shocked at how composed all these young French players are. Everyone knew they were loaded with young talent, but it hasn't shown at all.

Also IMO France is the sign of the times of how soccer is changing. The old Barca/Spain/Argentina model of small, quick technical passing game isn't as effective anymore because as France has shown, you can develop power and size to go along with technical ability and quickness.

So damn strong on the ball, AND with pace and skill. It's so impressive to watch.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:France is the most impressive young team I've seen, maybe ever. I could seem them winning the next 2-3 World Cups with how young and talented they are. Pace, skill, size............they've got it all.

I'm just shocked at how composed all these young French players are. Everyone knew they were loaded with young talent, but it hasn't shown at all.

Also IMO France is the sign of the times of how soccer is changing. The old Barca/Spain/Argentina model of small, quick technical passing game isn't as effective anymore because as France has shown, you can develop power and size to go along with technical ability and quickness.

So damn strong on the ball, AND with pace and skill. It's so impressive to watch.

Less about France and more about the recent changes in how club soccer is being developed. You still have your Barcas, Arsenals, Citys.

But equally you have your Madrids (both of them), Liverpools, Juves who are challenging the technical teams with pace and strength.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 am
  • Agreed with both of you guys, it's a sign of the times, but I don't think it's that different from what we've seen from ten years ago. More like the cycle has continued so teams have risen and fallen. You had the very technical teams that played the quick short passing game in Europe like Barca and Arsenal, but you also had teams that complimented technical skill with the pace and strength such as Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Madrid, etc.

France has been impressive playing as a unit with such a young squad full of stars. It's a far cry from the last couple French squads that imploded/mutinied.

Can't wait for this Brazil v. Belgium game. I'm rooting for Belgium all the way.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:09 am
  • Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Neymar's first foul is a forearm to the back of the head while getting grabbed across the chest... no card. and whistles from the crown as he sits on the ground

Good. This is what happens when you're the floppiest flopper who ever flopped.............you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs.

He CAN'T NOT embellish a foul.

I like how Belgium's using their size advantage to push Brazil around and frustrate them.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information