Rondy Rousey ... Cris Cyborg ... any comments?

byau

Reaction score
Fight was sick.

Bethe had no business in there.

Which makes you realize... pretty much Ronda and Cyborg are way above the rest.

So for those that follow this, where do you fall in the Ronda vs Cyborg debate?

a) Cyborg needs to cut to 135

b) Ronda needs to fight at 140 or 145

Any other interesting thoughts?

knownone

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised people are paying to watch this girl fight.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I've seen Rousey in movie so at least I know who she is. I have no clue who Cyborg is beyond that dumb Jon Claude Van Damme movie?

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2i9vtyfs said:
knownone":2i9vtyfs said:

This. Until Cyborg cuts weight, I've absolutely no interest in any Rousey fight. She's fighting complete scrubs every time, and it's not worth paying to see, or even wasting 30 seconds on. Put a real challenge in front of her and see how she does. Cyborg is at least that.

You could make the argument that both Cyborg and Rousey are just so head and shoulders above everyone else that they make everyone look like scrubs.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2zl5tm6z said:
I've seen Rousey in movie so at least I know who she is. I have no clue who Cyborg is beyond that dumb Jon Claude Van Damme movie?

History of recent Women's MMA in as few bullet points as I can manage - pretty much the main topics of most Women's MMA discussions would be:

* Cris "Cyborg" hits with power and devastation and pretty much has had her way with anyone in the ring/octagon

* The other most popular woman in MMA is/was Gina Carano. When Cris met Gina in the ring it was basically the two top dogs in women's MMA meeting. Cris pretty much destroyed Gina and "retired' her

* No seriously Gina has since become a bit of an action star . And an American Gladiator

* Ronda Rousey burst on the scene recently, has since had her way with just about anyone in the ring

* Cris, it turns out, has been on steroids or some other PED for a long time and she got busted.

* Cris fights at 145 lbs

* Ronda fights at 135 lbs

And finally ..

* Most superfights of two fighters in different divisions take place at a "catchweight". In this example, Cris would cut to 140lbs, and Ronda would move up to 140 lbs . However, Ronda continues to call Cris a cheater for her steroid use and basically says if Cris stops using steroids she can cut to 135 lbs. Cris definitely wants to shut Ronda up but for some reason cannot (or will not) make the cut to 135 lbs

* People think Ronda is ducking Cris "Cyborg"

* Gina Carano has said she'd consider coming back to MMA to fight Ronda Rousey. Ronda says Gina is a pioneer in women's MMA and if Gina (who also fights at 145lbs) came back, Ronda would do a catchweight fight with her at 140lbs. Gotta give it to Ronda - she's efficient, giving massive respect to Gina and at the same time totally dissing Cris

That's about it

Some reference material for you

Cris "Cyborg" highlight (at 1:00 you can see her dismantle Gina)

[youtube]q4FuSgMYlp4[/youtube]

Ronda Rousey highlight

[youtube]uIBoXlbfLi8[/youtube]

A Gina Carano weigh-in pic

gina_carano_carano_vs_cyborg_weigh_ins_hFUQ9vo.sized.jpg

253hawk

Reaction score
knownone":28m50bf9 said:

The problem is, as with many women's sports, is that there is very little parity. You have a very small handful of elites and then there's the rest of the field. 3/4 of her wins are first round arm bars; once someone figures out how to avoid those, Rousey might actually have a fight on her hands. I'd like to see someone actually test her conditioning and get to the second or third round. Only Tacoma's Meisha Tate has done that.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
253hawk":2kjhgf4o said:
knownone":2kjhgf4o said:

The problem is, as with many women's sports, is that there is very little parity. You have a very small handful of elites and then there's the rest of the field. 3/4 of her wins are first round arm bars; once someone figures out how to avoid those, Rousey might actually have a fight on her hands. I'd like to see someone actually test her conditioning and get to the second or third round. Only Tacoma's Meisha Tate has done that.

Agreed - though it might take a while to figure that out because avoiding the arm bars means avoiding getting close to her - she's a bronze medal olympian in Judo and has been doing Judo all her life. So she knows how to throw people on the ground once she gets in close, and she has an instinct for arm bars. In fact her submission of Cat Zingano was not any type of armbar anyone has ever seen. Rousey just figured a way to throw her on the ground from the position she was in, then sensed how to get leverage on the arm from where she was, and then submitted her

Rousey vs Zingano
[youtube]Nw7Jt2bZCBU[/youtube]

It would take someone like Cris to stop her because no one else throws strikes hard enough to stun Ronda. Ronda just bulls her way through strikes right now to the clinch. The most likely path of least resistance currently is someone like Cris with good enough technical striking to keep Ronda at a distance and powerful enough to do damage, maybe someone who specializes in leg kicks. It'll probably be awhile before you find a grappling equivalent

Happy

Reaction score
If cyborg wants the fight she needs to make weight, simple as. The belt holder doesn't do the chasing.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
:smiley_boxin:

After her 34 second domination of Bethe Correia at UFC 190, Ronda Rousey's next fight is already set. She'll be taking on Miesha Tate for a third time, and Rousey stated at the post-fight press conference, she'd like for it to be on the same card as Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo. Miesha Tate is the only person to make it out of the first round against Rousey.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... ext-fight/

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
byau":3aogpw5x said:
MizzouHawkGal":3aogpw5x said:

History of recent Women's MMA in as few bullet points as I can manage - pretty much the main topics of most Women's MMA discussions would be:

* Cris "Cyborg" hits with power and devastation and pretty much has had her way with anyone in the ring/octagon

* The other most popular woman in MMA is/was Gina Carano. When Cris met Gina in the ring it was basically the two top dogs in women's MMA meeting. Cris pretty much destroyed Gina and "retired' her

* No seriously Gina has since become a bit of an action star . And an American Gladiator

* Ronda Rousey burst on the scene recently, has since had her way with just about anyone in the ring

* Cris, it turns out, has been on steroids or some other PED for a long time and she got busted.

* Cris fights at 145 lbs

* Ronda fights at 135 lbs

And finally ..

* Most superfights of two fighters in different divisions take place at a "catchweight". In this example, Cris would cut to 140lbs, and Ronda would move up to 140 lbs . However, Ronda continues to call Cris a cheater for her steroid use and basically says if Cris stops using steroids she can cut to 135 lbs. Cris definitely wants to shut Ronda up but for some reason cannot (or will not) make the cut to 135 lbs

* People think Ronda is ducking Cris "Cyborg"

* Gina Carano has said she'd consider coming back to MMA to fight Ronda Rousey. Ronda says Gina is a pioneer in women's MMA and if Gina (who also fights at 145lbs) came back, Ronda would do a catchweight fight with her at 140lbs. Gotta give it to Ronda - she's efficient, giving massive respect to Gina and at the same time totally dissing Cris

That's about it

Some reference material for you

Cris "Cyborg" highlight (at 1:00 you can see her dismantle Gina)

[youtube]q4FuSgMYlp4[/youtube]

Ronda Rousey highlight

[youtube]uIBoXlbfLi8[/youtube]

A Gina Carano weigh-in pic

gina_carano_carano_vs_cyborg_weigh_ins_hFUQ9vo.sized.jpg
Thanks. Seems to me Rouse may have a point skipping Cyborg.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority but I think Rousey would win by submission. Cyborg could obviously hurt her but short of knocking her out I just think Rousey would weather it and find a way to finish it. Would love to see that fight though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":335i1qke said:
knownone":335i1qke said:

This. Until Cyborg cuts weight, I've absolutely no interest in any Rousey fight. She's fighting complete scrubs every time, and it's not worth paying to see, or even wasting 30 seconds on. Put a real challenge in front of her and see how she does. Cyborg is at least that.

People still pay for fights? Weird :mrgreen:

Her fight last weekend was bad ass though. She just demolished Correia

athanas

Reaction score
Ronda by any way she decides to end it.
Cyborg off the gas won't be able to hang with her, nor do I even think a roided Cyborg could finish the job.
Ronda has been training for war since she was a child. Her mom was a legit judoka in her day and passed on her will and determination to Ronda almost straight out of the chute.
Plus, anyone who trains under Gene LeBell's inner circle is going to come out iron. Talk about forgotten America heroes, "Judo" Gene is certainly one of them.

There is no other woman that can touch her at her weight class right now. Hell, no one within several weight classes, north or south. She's essentially a combination of Royce Gracie at the first few UFCs with a pitbull's ferocity.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I'd say Ronda. Since Cris got caught doing PED, Ronda never took one in her life. Been without it. Would be interesting if Cris fights Tate or Bethe Correa though.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Former UFC Light Heavyweight champion appeared on AXS TV's Inside MMA this weekend, and spoke about his former client Cris Cyborg. Ortiz, who is set for a Bellator Light Heavyweight Championship fight next month sounded confident that Cyborg would make 135 pounds.

"Will she make 135? Yes," Ortiz said. "Before I had doubts of it. I've talked to her the last couple of months and (Cyborg) is like 'I have to make the weight."

Cyborg has been non-committal since originally pledging to move to 135 pounds in February 2014. UFC President Dana White has stated that he'd like Cyborg to make the weight in a fight prior to being given a bout against Rousey.

See Also: Cyborg On Why Ronda Rousey Should Move Up To Fight Her

Ortiz said that there were other plans, however, an that Cyborg has been offered a fight with Rousey at the former Cowboys Stadium.

"I've heard from Cris that the fight that is supposed to happen at (AT&T Stadium) is against Cris, and her management says yes. I guess the ball is in Ronda's corner," Ortiz says.

This is the first any mention of that bout or the offer has been made, but would help make the show the biggest in UFC history, particularly if the rumored Conor McGregor/Jose Aldo fight happens. As of now, Rousey is slated to take on Miesha Tate next.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... sey-fight/