Snohomish Little League Team (Softball) Throws Game

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm surprised they even let the Snohomish team play this game over again, maybe there's nothing in the rules about being blatant idiots. You'd think there'd be a "sportsmanship rule" of some kind to prevent something like this from happening.

But for anyone that's ever coached, been a parent in or played in competitive youth sports, you can't tell me this story surprises you.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vs3lo0u said:
I'm surprised they even let the Snohomish team play this game over again, maybe there's nothing in the rules about being blatant idiots. You'd think there'd be a "sportsmanship rule" of some kind to prevent something like this from happening.

But for anyone that's ever coached, been a parent in or played in competitive youth sports, you can't tell me this story surprises you.
There is a rule about it. The governing body decided to be nice, though, and make the Snohomish team play a playoff game with the team from Iowa rather than just automatically disqualifying the Snohomish team like the rule states could have been done.

Phteven

Reaction score
It's pretty sad, and a tough lesson for those girls to learn. Real lapse of judgment on the part of the coaches, and I'm glad that it played out the way it did.

Msfann

Reaction score
Its only ok to tank a game/season if you are a NFL team trying to get a QB. I bet there are zero colts fans upset about this :lol:

CPHawk

Reaction score
The coach should be banned for life. What a joke. If my daughter was on that team, I would have taken her and left after the first inning. That's just bs. To be the man, you got to beat the man.

Only Marywether gets to go through his career without beating anyone, in team sports you play to beat the best.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Msfann":3p2k9lf1 said:
Its only ok to tank a game/season if you are a NFL team trying to get a QB. I bet there are zero colts fans upset about this :lol:

I think most people are fine with "gamesmanship" in pro sports, because it's played by adults who are getting paid to do one thing..........win.

Youth sports is suppose to be about character building, sportsmanship, team unity, those sort of things.

I know you were more than likely being sarcastic, but too many parents and coaches like this idiot forget what they're suppose to be teaching our kids.

Msfann

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mlc7d7k said:
Msfann":3mlc7d7k said:

I think most people are fine with "gamesmanship" in pro sports, because it's played by adults who are getting paid to do one thing..........win.

Youth sports is suppose to be about character building, sportsmanship, team unity, those sort of things.

I know you were more than likely being sarcastic, but too many parents and coaches like this idiot forget what they're suppose to be teaching our kids.

I'm not defending what the coaches did, I wouldn't have done what they did either. But we have seen enough games thrown in the pro's that its not surprising this happens lower down. Because sadly its ok when the pro's do it for some reason.

kjreid

Reaction score
CPHawk":3qwt064t said:
The coach should be banned for life. What a joke. If my daughter was on that team, I would have taken her and left after the first inning. That's just bs. To be the man, you got to beat the man.

Only Marywether gets to go through his career without beating anyone, in team sports you play to beat the best.

they beat the team already on Saturday, so I guess they did beat the best. The South Snohomish team was in a bad position because of the tiebreaker rules called "defensive runs ratio." With the three teams each finishing with a 3-1 record, and no team being unbeaten against the other two, first place in the group was determined by dividing the number of runs each team allowed by the number of innings they played defensively. The team with the best ratio would win first place in the group, with the second berth in the semifinals determined by the head-to-head result of the two remaining teams.

So they either could win the game, but they could not use there top two pitchers because of inning rules or be shut out so they maintain the defensive run ratio over the Iowa team. Any other outcome would kick them out of the next bracket.

Not so easy

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mh0gfqmr said:
Msfann":mh0gfqmr said:

THIS!

Little League takes their oath/pledge that they make all players and coaches take dead seriously. The snohomish team was lucky they were not flat out disqualified and were allowed to still play for the title. Did they break a rule? No, they broke the spirit of the rule and the part of the players and coaches pledge to always try their best. My heart goes out to all of the girls involved from both teams because the actions of one idiot coach that was trying to find a loophole in a flawed tiebreaker rule.

I know how serious LL takes their pledge by going to a lot of my nephew's allstar games in district and state last year. The reason I bring that up is because they played the Great Lakes/Chicago team in the first LL World Series game in Williamsport last year. That same team beat my nephew's team (soundly I might add) and went on to be US champions, until months after they were found out to be using illegal "out of district" players (8 out of the 13 players to be exact) and had their title stripped! .........Something that was rumored around Williamsport days BEFORE any game were played but that's a different story for a different day....

Now all of the kids got robbed a little bit that played that illegal team as well as those kids on the Chicago team (who did nothing wrong) but who's coaches and administrators cheated. The team from Vegas really got robbed as they didn't get a chance to play the international champs for the LL World Series title. The team from Vegas was awarded the US champs months after the tournament ended, never able to celebrate their accomplishment on the field.

Adults ruin a lot of things in kids sports.

I feel bad for the kids that pay the price for the "win at all costs" mentality of adults/coaches.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Win at all costs mentality in kids sports sucks big time.

All those young ladies were cheated of the great accomplishments they had already achieved. And what about the young ladies were finally getting a chance to play?...you tell them to throw the game? Screw that!

Even if they won the WS title, it still would have been tarnished.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
This could have all been avoided if it were just a double elimination tournament. Is there an advantage to pool play outside of providing all teams at least 3 games (if it's a 4 team pool) outside of not having to hear a few teams complain that they only got two games if they lose their first two?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mbtitleist":2eli2d73 said:
This could have all been avoided if it were just a double elimination tournament. Is there an advantage to pool play outside of providing all teams at least 3 games (if it's a 4 team pool) outside of not having to hear a few teams complain that they only got two games if they lose their first two?
Exactly! When my nephew was in the regionals last year in San Beridino last year it was pool play as well, of course for the boys they changed that this year. Luckily it didn't effect them. It didn't make sense since the districts, state, and then the LL WS were all double elim, while the third step (the regional) was pool play and different from the rest.

Latest posts