What should happen to these high school football players?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Heard about this on the radio. Apparently the play before two of their teammates were ejected from the game (they didnt make it clear if it was for beef with officials or for fighting with the other team or what the issue was).

I dont know if i'd go as far as charging them with assault or a crime, but they definitely should not play high school sports again. And if the official suffered any injuries I have no problem with him suiing the families, or the school, for medical costs. Its a bummer the 2nd kid who came in and speared the official didnt injure himself.

[youtube]nbxJjju7ubA[/youtube]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It's a crime but id hate to see cops involved. They won't play football again this season fairly certain. If the instructions came from the sideline then I imagine you're looking at shutting the program down for a year.

Someone alleging to be the boys teammates posted on Deadspin the ref said something racist to the player ejected which led to the targeting. Story could be big

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
should get charged with assault of some sort. They are juveniles so I don't imagine anything of consequence will happen.

I'd like to see them get beat to within an inch of their lives but that's old school.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and if it came from the coach he needs to be fired and prosecuted as well. It was clearly premeditated. That is aggravated assault.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2de3fpak said:
should get charged with assault of some sort. They are juveniles so I don't imagine anything of consequence will happen.

I'd like to see them get beat to within an inch of their lives but that's old school.

It would be battery not assault...

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Uncle Si":18u7pbb6 said:
Tech Worlds":18u7pbb6 said:

It would be battery not assault...
Whatever. I don't know the difference. All I know is those kids are lucky that guy didn't get up and beat them down. What they did was wrong and they need to be held accountable. That's the problem with this country. We don't hold people accountable for their actions.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Charge them criminally. What they did was a crime, so why shouldn't the police be involved?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't know, but I wish we had these players for Super Bowl XL.

All kidding aside, these 2 players need to be heavily punished...but not so heavily punished that it really screws up their lives. So far, they've shown they can't contain themselves while playing a football game. That happens in sports, and more so at the high school level than college or pro. I say, don't let them play football anymore and make them be that referee's butler for 2 months.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Definitely suspended from football, and school for me.

I'd like to know if any coaches were involved with this.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":msk7cemz said:
Definitely suspended from football, and school for me.

I'd like to know if any coaches were involved with this.

Update from today: kids have been suspended from both indefinitely. Charges very real possibility. Doest sound like the coaches were involved

Msfann

Reaction score
If these kids attacked someone on the street like this they would probably still be in some kind of jail, it shouldn't matter that it was on the field because they attacked a guy who wasn't even playing and wasn't expecting to be hit.

Ban them from playing high school football forever and charge them for attacking the guy.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Uncalled for. Zebras are a big part of all sports, you can't let it be open season on them. There really has to be some sort of legal punishment.

London12

Reaction score
They should be charged to the full extent of the law. There are exceptions when playing sport that means you're allowed to hit hard but what they did is not a part of the sport, it's criminal and they deserve everything that can be thrown at them should the referee want to press charges.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27rgug5t said:
Lots of outrage in this thread.
We live in an outrage culture now. It's the new "reality TV".

These kids will never play football again. Any scholarship they might have earned is now history, so there's a chance they have cost themselves a college education.

I think that is plenty of punishment for a teenager. Asking for more is disproportionate to the severity of the crime.

This umpire wasn't seriously injured. But people seriously think the kids should be physically beaten to "within an inch" of death? WTF? What, did we suddenly become Syria?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HansGruber":1aaap77h said:
Uncle Si":1aaap77h said:
Lots of outrage in this thread.
We live in an outrage culture now. It's the new "reality TV".

These kids will never play football again. Any scholarship they might have earned is now history, so there's a chance they have cost themselves a college education.

I think that is plenty of punishment for a teenager. Asking for more is disproportionate to the severity of the crime.

This umpire wasn't seriously injured. But people seriously think the kids should be physically beaten to "within an inch" of death? WTF? What, did we suddenly become Syria?

I mostly agree. Coaching as much HS sports as I do I think suspension from the game for the season is plenty. Seen plenty of fights and aggressive behavior in games at this level and never thought the justice system needed to be brought in

Edit: apparently one of the players managed to stay in the game after the initial hit of the ref due to mistaken identity (a teammate was egljected who wasn't involved). He subsequently was given a 15 yard late hit penalty on the next play. Jesus...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
They should really punish these kids. I mean really drop the hammer on them.

So the best way to do that is force them to play at Washington/Washington State.

But seriously I think they should be charged for assault. If you did this in public to someone, you'd be charged for assault. This was a premeditated attack on an innocent person. That's assault.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Assault is the verbal threat of harm. Battery is the physical harm.

What if the hit was against another player? It would be cowardly and absurd...but not battery.

It's a fine line but I just think the emotional outrage in this is a bit over the top. Suspension from football and school seems like a very big punishment

I can see the other side though.

jkitsune

Reaction score
The boys committed an assault. They should be charged with battery. If the circumstances are appropriate, they could be charged with both assault and battery. I trust this will satisfy Si's legal sensibilities. :thirishdrinkers:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Refs are not players and do not expect to be purposely blindsided. This is malicious and should be punishable by public caining.